Do these new UK cruises regulations shine a light on how DCL could look when wider operations commence

These requirements explicitly say you MUST wear a mask AT ALL TIMES except when swimming, dining, or in your stateroom. Yes, you MUST wear a mask when sitting in a deck chair.

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 11 and up) and Crew Members, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining, swimming or in your stateroom. You may temporarily remove your face covering while actively eating, drinking or taking an outdoor photo, but you must be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing during this time. It is recommended that children ages 3 to 10 wear a face covering at all times except in designated locations.
You make a lot of good points. If they were following the science than you would think adults could go maskless and kids would be wearing the masks. Why do we need a vaccine again?

You have no issues with them making you (a fully vaccinated individual) wear a mask while you are chewing food? You have no problem with them making you wear a mask when you are laying on a chair outside when the closest person to you is 100 feet away? And you have no problem putting these gross restrictions on vaccinated individuals but have no problem with no mask restrictions on unvaccinated children who can just as easily catch and spread covid?

Since when has Disney required individuals to wear masks while chewing food? I suspect they will follow the park policy of "actively eating or drinking while stationary". I think that's overstating their policy a bit. I have no problem wearing a mask at any other time, even while sitting outside, as a fully vaccinated individual. Vaccinated people can still spread it. The mask isn't for you; it's for others. I do think children should be wearing masks too, just like they do in the parks.

You have no issues with them making you (a fully vaccinated individual) wear a mask while you are chewing food?
What on earth are you talking about?

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 11 and up) and Crew Members, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining, swimming or in your stateroom. You may temporarily remove your face covering while actively eating, drinking or taking an outdoor photo, but you must be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing during this time. It is recommended that children ages 3 to 10 wear a face covering at all times except in designated locations.

Masks could come off as soon as you entered the pool area at WDW. Three trips to WDW and I never wore a mask while running. None of the runners did. I passed a lot of Disney employees and I never got more than a thumbs up. I forgot about running. I absolutely will not cruise if I have to run with a mask on. That is probably the deal breaker of all.

I would do it or not run. However, I did hot yoga and circuit training last summer in Texas while wearing a triple layer mask. I'm not easily put off by discomfort though. I would still be going and wearing the mask, but it wasn't enough protection for my comfort, since I was the only one wearing a mask.

Verification will be a major problem. The executive order also prohibits any state agency from providing any verification of vaccination status to 3rd parties.
No need for a 3rd party to be involved. I have my card, and if not I could obtain my information. Then I share that at boarding or online check-in. Yes it leaves room for fakes but honestly there is no way I want the government or any private business able to access my medical. I never signed a HIPAA allowing my vaccine record to be shared. Only I can share it.

Please show me the science which supports forcing vaccinated individuals to wear masks when they eat, when they are outdoors with no one near them within 100 yards, but says unvaccinated children under the age of 11 dont need masks because apparently they cannot catch or spread covid. Please show me the science since you said these measures follow the sience.
Plenty of studies prove the effectiveness of masks, and I don't want to derail the thread with that discussion. Here is one anyways:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536
As for 100 yards or 80 yards or 60 yards of distancing - 65 mph or 70 mph or 80 mph of speed limits - I try not to lose the forest among the trees. No one is forcing you - there is no need for you to cruise if you don't like the rules.

You make a lot of good points. If they were following the science than you would think adults could go maskless and kids would be wearing the masks. Why do we need a vaccine again?
The science is recommending wearing masks when in close contact with people who may not be vaccinated even if you have been vaccinated.

Kids cannot be vaccinated, so mask use around kids is the current recommendation in most countries.

What on earth are you talking about?

You obviously dont know the definition of active eating in this context, please watch the video from Georgia tech explaining active eating, I cannot post links but it is easy to google

facebook com/watch/?v=232195045102050

Now you may say "This is Georgia tech, how do we know this is Disney's policy?"

Because this is the policy Disney has had at their restaurants for a while:

Disney updated their policy recently to say when dining at a restaurant, guests must wear face coverings while standing, waiting, or sitting in dining locations. In other words guests must now keep their masks on unless they are actively eating or drinking at their table. **That means that unless you are taking a sip or a bite, your face covering should be on.**

disneyfoodblog com 2021/03/02/what-you-need-to-know-about-disneys-face-mask-policies/

So yes, you MUST wear a mask when seated and while chewing your food, you may only remove the mask to take a bite?

Does this make sense to you now?

Last edited:
Plenty of studies prove the effectiveness of masks, and I don't want to derail the thread with that discussion. Here is one anyways:

As for 100 yards or 80 yards or 60 yards of distancing - 65 mph or 70 mph or 80 mph of speed limits - I try not to lose the forest among the trees. No one is forcing you - there is no need for you to cruise if you don't like the rules.

I dont doubt the effectiveness of masks in reducing the community spread of covid among unvaccinated individuals, but that isnt what I asked now is it? I asked for the science to prove mask effectiveness of reduction of community spread by vaccinated individuals, both indoors and outdoors. And maybe you should try looking at the trees some more because its not as simple as mask = good now is it? Also, if you want reckless policies which put your children at high risk of covid exposure, be my guest. I personally prefer Disney follow the science and protect children. Do better.

Since when has Disney required individuals to wear masks while chewing food? I suspect they will follow the park policy of "actively eating or drinking while stationary". I think that's overstating their policy a bit. I have no problem wearing a mask at any other time, even while sitting outside, as a fully vaccinated individual. Vaccinated people can still spread it. The mask isn't for you; it's for others. I do think children should be wearing masks too, just like they do in the parks.

Ummm, ever since they implemented this policy? Read the link, this is actually what is happening in Disney restaurants as verified by multiple people including the people who wrote this article.

Disney updated their policy recently to say when dining at a restaurant, guests must wear face coverings while standing, waiting, or sitting in dining locations. In other words guests must now keep their masks on unless they are actively eating or drinking at their table. **That means that unless you are taking a sip or a bite, your face covering should be on.**

We tested the new policy after it was announced with a meal at 50’s Prime Time Cafe and it did not affect our overall experience much at all. As we were seated, the Cast Member thanked us for wearing our mask and asked us to keep it on unless actively eating or drinking.

disneyfoodblog com/2021/03/02/what-you-need-to-know-about-disneys-face-mask-policies/

Also, please provide a single scientific study showing vaccinated individuals still spread covid (outside of the .0005% of breakthrough cases). I will wait because there isnt any study or data to support your assertion...

You obviously dont know the definition of active eating in this context, please watch the video from Georgia tech explaining active eating, I cannot post links but it is easy to google

Now you may say "This is Georgia tech, how do we know this is Disney's policy?"

Because this is the policy Disney has had at their restaurants for a while:

disneyfoodblog com 2021/03/02/what-you-need-to-know-about-disneys-face-mask-policies/

So yes, you MUST wear a mask when seated and while chewing your food, you may only remove the mask to take a bite?

Does this make sense to you now?
No. Because that is not the policy nor is it interpreted or enforced that way. Have you experienced it enforced that way? Please tell me when a cast member told you to put your mask on while chewing.

I have been to WDW since the policy language was changed to match that of these UK cruises. No one has to wear a mask while chewing since that is active eating. They do, however have to wear a mask inside restaurants when waiting, going to the bathrooms, etc. which the policy clarified.

By all means though, continue feeding your outrage with this imaginary crisis.

PS - that blog you shared never says they had to wear a mask while chewing.

The science is recommending wearing masks when in close contact with people who may not be vaccinated even if you have been vaccinated.

Kids cannot be vaccinated, so mask use around kids is the current recommendation in most countries.
If you are vaccinated then aren't you protected? There's always going to be unvaccinated people. Are we going to wear masks for the rest of our life? If you're vaccinated and vaccines work then how are the kids going to get it, and if kids can get it why aren't they required to wear a mask...and around and around we go.

I would do it or not run. However, I did hot yoga and circuit training last summer in Texas while wearing a triple layer mask. I'm not easily put off by discomfort though. I would still be going and wearing the mask, but it wasn't enough protection for my comfort, since I was the only one wearing a mask.
You do you, but I don't skip my runs and I'm not running in a mask. I would never get on a cruise ship with all these restrictions. I hope you enjoy your cruise. Do a trip report.

If you are vaccinated then aren't you protected? There's always going to be unvaccinated people. Are we going to wear masks for the rest of our life? If you're vaccinated and vaccines work then how are the kids going to get it, and if kids can get it why aren't they required to wear a mask...and around and around we go.

Apparently science isn’t factoring in to the decision making!! 🙄

Define "protected". A covid vaccine, like a flu vaccine can reduce your risk of getting covid, but it won't prevent you from getting covid. A vaccine prepares your body to fight covid. So you won't get "as" sick. With the covid vaccine, what that seems to mean you won't get sick enough to require hospitalization, and you won't die when and if you get sick. And if you are lucky you may have such a mild case you don't know you have it. However, you can still spread it which is masks are going to be with us for longer than many expect.

Apparently science isn’t factoring in to the decision making!! 🙄

I call it Disney science. It is fantasy science not based on reality, such as requiring vaccinated adults to wear masks (even when they are outdoors and hundreds of feet away from other people) but not require unvaccinated children to wear masks, because they dont catch or spread covid?

No. Because that is not the policy nor is it interpreted or enforced that way. Have you experienced it enforced that way? Please tell me when a cast member told you to put your mask on while chewing.

I have been to WDW since the policy language was changed to match that of these UK cruises. No one has to wear a mask while chewing since that is active eating. They do, however have to wear a mask inside restaurants when waiting, going to the bathrooms, etc. which the policy clarified.

By all means though, continue feeding your outrage with this imaginary crisis.

PS - that blog you shared never says they had to wear a mask while chewing.

Totally! Also, the DIS would not be able to post all of their food videos with them eating and talking with no masks. They are following the policies and do not appear to be reprimanded by cast members anywhere that I have seen or heard. I need an emoji of one of those inflatable guys with the wavy arms; I feel like that's the general mood of people sometimes.

Define "protected". A covid vaccine, like a flu vaccine can reduce your risk of getting covid, but it won't prevent you from getting covid. A vaccine prepares your body to fight covid. So you won't get "as" sick. With the covid vaccine, what that seems to mean you won't get sick enough to require hospitalization, and you won't die when and if you get sick. And if you are lucky you may have such a mild case you don't know you have it. However, you can still spread it which is masks are going to be with us for longer than many expect.
If that's the case I guess you will be wearing a mask the rest of your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter