Do these new UK cruises regulations shine a light on how DCL could look when wider operations commence

I feel like these are going to be very close to the rules once cruising is allowed to expand back to the US, with a few caveats

Vaccinations - This is the biggest unknown still. I feel that DCL is requiring this due to UK laws/guidelines. This is such a touchy subject in the US, but if the CDC were to say they are required, then this would remain. If any ports require them, then it will remain. Otherwise, they may fall back to vaccine OR negative test. Not sure how I feel about that yet. I'd much rather they require vaccinations, at least for the first 3-6 months of cruising.

My guess is the CDC does what the government is already been saying. "We strongly recommend vaccines, but we are not mandating them." That's the typical US government response. They are forcing the private sector to take the heat on this and take on the costs and responsibility for verification. Several US states have already declared they will not participate in any vaccine passport program. And the federal government seems so far to have no intention of having a vaccine passport either. The White House already said there will be no federal database.

I've been at work all day, but have had the chance to sneakily follow the 'outrage' in the comments on social media.

Personally, I'm shocked that people are shocked by this.

Other cruise lines were requiring similar, Disney was always going to do the same and more...

Vaccinations - This is the biggest unknown still. I feel that DCL is requiring this due to UK laws/guidelines. This is such a touchy subject in the US, but if the CDC were to say they are required, then this would remain. If any ports require them, then it will remain. Otherwise, they may fall back to vaccine OR negative test. Not sure how I feel about that yet. I'd much rather they require vaccinations, at least for the first 3-6 months of cruising.
The UK government don't actually require vaccinations for domestic cruises, this is a Disney decision. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel
There are other cruise lines (such as MSC) doing domestic cruises from the UK that don't require vaccinations at all.

I am fine with all of this and pretty much expected it. We don't usually do many of the live shows, so it's not a big deal. Reserving spots at movies would be fine. I think they should do a virtual queue for the Aqua Duck even without covid. I am curious about Vibe, since that is where our son would go. However, it's not a deal breaker; he is very good about occupying himself. I think reserving time for the gym isn't a bad idea. That way you may have a better chance of actually getting to use equipment. Unless I go on a port day or at the crack of dawn, it always seems crowded.

Florida has said no vaccine passports. I know they don't have jurisdiction over the ships in international water, but I'm guessing they have some say in ships embarking from their ports. They won't get any push back from the worlds largest cruise line. The CEO of Carnival has already stated that they do not want to mandate vaccines in the US. The CDC cannot mandate vaccines at least that is according to their website. I believe the state could, but Florida is not going to. It's all too complicated for me, but it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I personally would not pay DCL prices to cruise under these conditions and I'm a hard core DCL fan. If I cruise this year it will be something cheap just to test it out.

If you look at the Florida rule, it only applies to businesses that receive state funding, public or private businesses. The only repercussion Florida has is to withhold state funding. It's rarely discussed in the news, but this is the case. Texas is the same way. So, unless DCL receives funding from the state of Florida, they can require vaccinations.

Just found this, world cases are at record levels. If it is worse now than it has ever been, in an industry dependent on international customers and staff, not sure we can reasonably resume cruising anytime soon? As supply of vaccine increases (in part because of the refusal of some to get the vaccine) I do continue to wonder how they are going to get international staff vaccinated. Are the cruise lines going to buy massive amounts of vaccine and send medical staff to place like Indonesia to vaccine workers there?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-...-as-global-cases-hit-record-highs-11619185387

I am fine with all of this and pretty much expected it. We don't usually do many of the live shows, so it's not a big deal. Reserving spots at movies would be fine. I think they should do a virtual queue for the Aqua Duck even without covid. I am curious about Vibe, since that is where our son would go. However, it's not a deal breaker; he is very good about occupying himself. I think reserving time for the gym isn't a bad idea. That way you may have a better chance of actually getting to use equipment. Unless I go on a port day or at the crack of dawn, it always seems crowded.

Same. I'm actually loving some of these measures, especially time limit on the pools. No more lounge chair hogs!
One I dislike is masks-at-all-times except eating & swimming. What about when sunbathing or walking outside on the decks? with the open air and blowing wind doesn't make sense.
I walk/jog a lot on deck 4 every day so wearing a mask might be a nuisance but its a small sacrifice.
So far no deal breakers.
Deal breakers will be when they'll announce a limit on your time/activities at POC's.
Not letting us wander on our own at ports will be a massive turnoff.

Just found this, world cases are at record levels. If it is worse now than it has ever been, in an industry dependent on international customers and staff, not sure we can reasonably resume cruising anytime soon? As supply of vaccine increases (in part because of the refusal of some to get the vaccine) I do continue to wonder how they are going to get international staff vaccinated. Are the cruise lines going to buy massive amounts of vaccine and send medical staff to place like Indonesia to vaccine workers there?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-...-as-global-cases-hit-record-highs-11619185387
I assume they would buy vaccines and vaccinate employees as they arrive. Especially if they can use the single dose J&J this would be a way to get the ships staffed. They might even be able to use some of the closed WDW resorts to house people during the two week wait.

Major employers are already running private vaccine clinics on land, so I don’t see why DCL wouldn’t be able to as well.

There are currently laws in place that make it impossible for the US to send vaccines overseas, so that is why I assume they will need to get people here to get them vaccinated.

If you look at the Florida rule, it only applies to businesses that receive state funding, public or private businesses. The only repercussion Florida has is to withhold state funding. It's rarely discussed in the news, but this is the case. Texas is the same way. So, unless DCL receives funding from the state of Florida, they can require vaccinations.
Can they be denied use of the ports. I know states did when there was Covid cases onboard.

My guess is the CDC does what the government is already been saying. "We strongly recommend vaccines, but we are not mandating them." That's the typical US government response. They are forcing the private sector to take the heat on this and take on the costs and responsibility for verification. Several US states have already declared they will not participate in any vaccine passport program. And the federal government seems so far to have no intention of having a vaccine passport either. The White House already said there will be no federal database.
According to the cdc website they cannot mandate them. The cdc can’t.

Last edited:

Verification will be a major problem. The executive order also prohibits any state agency from providing any verification of vaccination status to 3rd parties.

Can they be denied use of the ports. I know states did when there was Covid cases onboard.

I don't know if Port Canaveral gets state funding. I don't think Florida owns Port Canaveral. The ports are a murkier area though.

Verification will be a major problem. The executive order also prohibits any state agency from providing any verification of vaccination status to 3rd parties.

It could be a third party though. Plus, most of us are not getting are vaccines from state agencies, so it's 3rd party (vaccinators) dealing with 3rd party (app maker).

I don't know if Port Canaveral gets state funding. I don't think Florida owns Port Canaveral. The ports are a murkier area though.

It could be a third party though. Plus, most of us are not getting are vaccines from state agencies, so it's 3rd party (vaccinators) dealing with 3rd party (app maker).
I think the state and the cruise lines are going to have to come to an amicable agreement. Cruiselines are generally pretty good about following local government laws, policies and regulations. I guess it depends on if the cruise lines want to cause a stink or just get on with sailing.

It's actually the state department of health that maintains the records. Places like Walgreens and Walmart were already barred by laws from giving it to anyone else but the government.

I assume they would buy vaccines and vaccinate employees as they arrive. Especially if they can use the single dose J&J this would be a way to get the ships staffed. They might even be able to use some of the closed WDW resorts to house people during the two week wait.

Major employers are already running private vaccine clinics on land, so I don’t see why DCL wouldn’t be able to as well.

There are currently laws in place that make it impossible for the US to send vaccines overseas, so that is why I assume they will need to get people here to get them vaccinated.
But GETTING those employees to the U.S. may be the biggest problem. Some of the cities they would have to fly through to get from their home nations to the U.S. may start requiring vaccines to pass through.

I think these are very good measures on several counts, and they should remain in place until the pandemic is over.

For one, the measures follow the science. They go a long way towards reducing the risk of having an outbreak, ending up in quarantines, or getting stuck in a place where you don't want. If you want to enjoy a vacation, it must be worryfree - and these steps get us there.

Plus, the measures are going to naturally select those who want to cruise safely. The biggest risk factor for an outbreak on board isn't the ship's own systems or protocols - it's the people who will bring the virus with them. By keeping out the reckless, the cruise for the rest will be safer. In a couple of years when the pandemic is over, everyone else can be welcomed back on board.

I personally am very good with these! Perhaps the only restriction that sucks is you can only register the kids for one 1.5-2.5hr session in the kids club per day. I am 100% onboard with vaccine and mask requirements. Makes me much more comfortable going. While the show limitations are less than optimal, we have seen every show over a dozen times each already. Heck, sometimes we skip them anyway.

If US cruises start with these exact rules, we will be on!

You have no issues with them making you (a fully vaccinated individual) wear a mask while you are chewing food? You have no problem with them making you wear a mask when you are laying on a chair outside when the closest person to you is 100 feet away? And you have no problem putting these gross restrictions on vaccinated individuals but have no problem with no mask restrictions on unvaccinated children who can just as easily catch and spread covid?

For one, the measures follow the science. They go a long way towards reducing the risk of having an outbreak, ending up in quarantines, or getting stuck in a place where you don't want. If you want to enjoy a vacation, it must be worryfree - and these steps get us there.

Please show me the science which supports forcing vaccinated individuals to wear masks when they eat, when they are outdoors with no one near them within 100 yards, but says unvaccinated children under the age of 11 dont need masks because apparently they cannot catch or spread covid. Please show me the science since you said these measures follow the sience.

I don’t think it’s clear about when sitting in the deck chairs. I was at Disney World last month and the pool chairs were distanced and you didn’t need to wear them when sitting.

These requirements explicitly say you MUST wear a mask AT ALL TIMES except when swimming, dining, or in your stateroom. Yes, you MUST wear a mask when sitting in a deck chair.

Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 11 and up) and Crew Members, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining, swimming or in your stateroom. You may temporarily remove your face covering while actively eating, drinking or taking an outdoor photo, but you must be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing during this time. It is recommended that children ages 3 to 10 wear a face covering at all times except in designated locations.

Same. I'm actually loving some of these measures, especially time limit on the pools. No more lounge chair hogs!
One I dislike is masks-at-all-times except eating & swimming. What about when sunbathing or walking outside on the decks? with the open air and blowing wind doesn't make sense.
I walk/jog a lot on deck 4 every day so wearing a mask might be a nuisance but its a small sacrifice.
So far no deal breakers.
Deal breakers will be when they'll announce a limit on your time/activities at POC's.
Not letting us wander on our own at ports will be a massive turnoff.
Masks could come off as soon as you entered the pool area at WDW. Three trips to WDW and I never wore a mask while running. None of the runners did. I passed a lot of Disney employees and I never got more than a thumbs up. I forgot about running. I absolutely will not cruise if I have to run with a mask on. That is probably the deal breaker of all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter