Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Thanks! I didn't know I could rent a car in WDW! This would actually be much easier than at the airport I would assume! Is there a thread where I can read more about how to do this? Do they bring the car to our resort etc? THank you so much! You've been very helpful!

Just one thing to know. You can not use car seats on DME bus.

Gooftink,
I am getting totally OT, but they were really strict last year. They stopped that. Anyone over18 has to be there in person. You got lucky! We run Marathon weekend every year, and because of this policy, my kids miss an extra day of school...

anyway, Thank you so much for your help!!!
When I say 'last year', I mean '14!! They allowed my friends to print out permission forms, sign them and give them to me. I had to show an ID in order to get the packets for them. It's too bad they had to stop this practice.... a lot of runners arrive late in the day, making it really hard to get there in time.

When I say 'last year', I mean '14!! They allowed my friends to print out permission forms, sign them and give them to me. I had to show an ID in order to get the packets for them. It's too bad they had to stop this practice.... a lot of runners arrive late in the day, making it really hard to get there in time.
Goofy,
Yes! That was the last year it was allowed!!!! This is such a major inconvenience now! Kids have to miss more school and people have to miss more work! Those were the days!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Did an experiment with this last trip.

We had a one night stay at Universal, but only wanted to take our carry-on luggage (had a small rental) and have our big bags meet us at the Disney resort the next day. MCO did not like this and we ended up getting a call from Southwest that they couldn't deliver our bags to the resort a day early. They offered to either let us come back to the airport and pick up the luggage or they would hold it at the airport until the next day and then have it delivered to the Disney resort. We choose the latter and it worked out fine, but I wouldn't chance it in the future. Just a word of warning (someone's got to try it, right!). :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I'm not surprised they couldn't deliver it that day. But, having it sit there, at MCO until the next day? That wouldn't make me happy. I would have just taken my bags with me, to US/IoA.

Extra effort is needed to hold back bags at the airport until check in day compared with letting them go to the resort immediately.

There must have been problems with early arriving bags taking up too much space at the resorts and/or causing confusion.

Still, fewer problems from other kinds of glitches will happen if bags are not held back at the airport without a specific reason for each.

Last edited:

Extra effort is needed to hold back bags at the airport until check in day compared with letting them go to the resort immediately.

There must have been problems with early arriving bags taking up too much space at the resorts and/or causing confusion.

Still, fewer problems from other kinds of glitches will happen if bags are not held back at the airport without a specific reason for each.
But there was a specific reason...the guests didn't have an existing reservation. They weren't due to check in until the next day. So, what other result could have been expected? If you do not have an existing reservation, you can't have your bags sent on DME to your resort.

I think I know the answer based on the OP, but I just want to ask about my specific case:

I arrive at MCO at 10:30 am, but check-in at CSR is not until 3 pm. Therefore, I would like to go straight from the airport to Universal, and send my checked bags to CSR on DME. Universal closes at 6 pm on this particular night, so I will probably not be arriving at CSR for the first time until 7 pm, and I will be checking in at that time. What will my experience be at that point? My checked bags should be waiting for me at the DME check-in, correct?

Thanks in advance.

I think I know the answer based on the OP, but I just want to ask about my specific case:

I arrive at MCO at 10:30 am, but check-in at CSR is not until 3 pm. Therefore, I would like to go straight from the airport to Universal, and send my checked bags to CSR on DME. Universal closes at 6 pm on this particular night, so I will probably not be arriving at CSR for the first time until 7 pm, and I will be checking in at that time. What will my experience be at that point? My checked bags should be waiting for me at the DME check-in, correct?

Thanks in advance.

There is no DME bag check in. Disney will put your bags in your room for you. You can check in any time after 6 am, that is when their computers roll over to the new day.

There is no DME bag check in. Disney will put your bags in your room for you. You can check in any time after 6 am, that is when their computers roll over to the new day.

Thank you. How do I check in to CSR without being there? Online? Over the phone?

This may sound off topic but from reading this thread, it sounds like when you get to MCO after 10, you're on your own with your luggage. You have to collect it and take it to the bus with you. Last May, my two young adults got to MCO after 11. They rode DME. I never asked if they picked up their checked luggage but I remember it being delivered to our GV at OKW the next day. Was that an exception to the rule?

This may sound off topic but from reading this thread, it sounds like when you get to MCO after 10, you're on your own with your luggage. You have to collect it and take it to the bus with you. Last May, my two young adults got to MCO after 11. They rode DME. I never asked if they picked up their checked luggage but I remember it being delivered to our GV at OKW the next day. Was that an exception to the rule?
Their luggage went around on the carousel until someone took it to the unclaimed baggage office and it was retrieved by the DME people the next morning. They were very, very lucky that the bags weren't stolen while it was circling the carousel or lost in the unclaimed baggage office.

This is how DME works if you arrive at MCO after 10pm, with checked bags that have been tagged with your yellow DME tags..
You arrive and go to DME, are directed to your resort bus and off you go.
Your bags, on the other hand, go directly to baggage claim. The DME workers stop working at 10:00, so there is no one there to pull those tagged bags out and put them aside for DME collection and delivery to the resorts. These after 10pm tagged bags will now be put with all the other checked bags, and out to the public baggage claim carousel, where they will go 'round and 'round, for all to see (and hopefully they won't be stolen). After quite awhile, an airport worker will go to baggage claim and get all the unclaimed bags, and then take them to the unclaimed bags area. The next morning, some time after 5am, a DME worker will go to the unclaimed bag areas, for each airline, and get any DME tagged bags, and take them to the DME baggage area, for resort delivery.
So, as you can see....sure your bags will 'probably' get to you the next day, but it's nothing I would do!! Too many things could go wrong.

So, long story short? Your young adults didn't experience an 'exception to the rule'. DME and subsequent luggage delivery worked just the way we would expect if arriving after 10pm!

That makes sense. I was actually alone when it was delivered. Everyone else went to the pool. I didn't hear a knock on the door. All I heard was a loud thud. I guess that was the luggage falling on it's side. It scared me. It sounded like someone fell from the second floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter