Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

That's what we've done every trip since DME started. And we usually get to the resort within 5 minutes of each other.

We usually did this too. Last year, though, there was a HUGE line at DME, and we all took the rental to the resort. Everything was fine, and luggage showed up without a problem. Our room wasn't ready right away, so it was about 6 hours after we arrived that luggage showed up.

Advice Please??!!

We land at 9 am, already have a Dollar rental and we're doing a Publix stop and we'll have one carry on with essentials. Question, if we drop the groceries etc and head to WS for Food&Wine is it likely our luggage will be in our room by 5 pm? If not, what's a reasonable expectation for arrival time?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

We plan on renting a car. If we were to tag our luggage to be delivered to the Grand. Would it pay to just stop by the magical express counter to check in as an added precaution or will the tag luggage be automaticcally taken to the grand floridan

We plan on renting a car. If we were to tag our luggage to be delivered to the Grand. Would it pay to just stop by the magical express counter to check in as an added precaution or will the tag luggage be automaticcally taken to the grand floridan

It will be taken and delivered to your room. I just got back a week ago. No need to check in.

It will be taken and delivered to your room. I just got back a week ago. No need to check in.
so you just called and booked magical express and gave them your flights correct. and once you put the tags on they take the luggage to your resort. not trying to take advantage of anything but we will be traveling with a one year old and any way we can make our lives easier I am all about especially for the prices we are paying to stay at a disney resort

so you just called and booked magical express and gave them your flights correct. and once you put the tags on they take the luggage to your resort. not trying to take advantage of anything but we will be traveling with a one year old and any way we can make our lives easier I am all about especially for the prices we are paying to stay at a disney resort

It should work that way. The problem would arise if something happens to your checked bags between the airline and DME. They would be able to note that you didn't take the bus as you are supposed to, though I don't know if they would do anything about it. It just would make thing potentially awkward.

It should work that way. The problem would arise if something happens to your checked bags between the airline and DME. They would be able to note that you didn't take the bus as you are supposed to, though I don't know if they would do anything about it. It just would make thing potentially awkward.
thank you for the info.

Oh, and you need to make sure your flight time isn't during the time period when DME doesn't handle checked bags. I think it is 10 pm to 6 am, but I'm not sure about the 6 am part.

I booked ME and gave them my flight info. Then I decided I wanted to take a town car instead and my luggage was delivered. I have done this countless times and have never had a problem.

I booked ME and gave them my flight info. Then I decided I wanted to take a town car instead and my luggage was delivered. I have done this countless times and have never had a problem.
You may have done it successfully countless times but that does not mean it will always work smoothly in the future and that others will have the same exact easy/smooth experience as you....
Just sayin....

For every poster who says that not riding the bus might cause issues, I've experienced and read posts that riding the bus may cause issues as well. It's a roll of the dice, it will work for both 99% of the time, either way you choose. I've ridden the bus, and my suitcase didn't show up til late into the evening, we arrived at 2:30pm. My wife and kid's luggage was in the room, just not mine. Oh, and by the way, when my luggage was lost, i was staying at CR, they could have cared less that my luggage was "lost". They did nothing other than tell me to "call my airline" and "good luck".

For every poster who says that not riding the bus might cause issues, I've experienced and read posts that riding the bus may cause issues as well. It's a roll of the dice, it will work for both 99% of the time, either way you choose. I've ridden the bus, and my suitcase didn't show up til late into the evening, we arrived at 2:30pm. My wife and kid's luggage was in the room, just not mine. Oh, and by the way, when my luggage was lost, i was staying at CR, they could have cared less that my luggage was "lost". They did nothing other than tell me to "call my airline" and "good luck".
Once you leave the airport, you're going to find the airlines a bit difficult to work with! It 'used to be', that DME asked how many bags you had tagged. That way, if the correct number didn't come through, they went in search of it. And this is why we told people that if you don't ride the bus, they won't know how many bags to look for. However...they no longer seem to ask how many bags to look for, so all bets are off.
If you arrive at, say, 2pm, and get to your resort by 3:30, you can 'assume' your bags will be in your room by 7:30. That's what Disney tells us to expect...bags in the room 3-4 hrs after resort arrival. BUT...if you go off to a park for the evening, and return at, say, 11pm, and you find that only half of your bags are there? You've now got almost 9 hours since your bags left the airport....the airlines aren't going to be happy tracking them.

I've had a bag not get to my room for almost 8 hrs after resort arrival. BUT....I changed resorts about 45 days prior to arrival....it should have been fine, but the bag went to the old resort and sat there. No one thought anything of it!!! It took 3 hrs to figure out what had happened to it!!! Waiting until 1:30am is not the way you want to start your vacation!!

Well, it's easy really. Just tell them an emergency came up while on the plane and you had to take other transportation because you had to make a stop on the way to Disney. Since you planned to take ME and your bags were already tagged with yellow tags there was no option to get your bags yourself.

Once you leave the airport, you're going to find the airlines a bit difficult to work with! It 'used to be', that DME asked how many bags you had tagged. That way, if the correct number didn't come through, they went in search of it. And this is why we told people that if you don't ride the bus, they won't know how many bags to look for. However...they no longer seem to ask how many bags to look for, so all bets are off.
If you arrive at, say, 2pm, and get to your resort by 3:30, you can 'assume' your bags will be in your room by 7:30. That's what Disney tells us to expect...bags in the room 3-4 hrs after resort arrival. BUT...if you go off to a park for the evening, and return at, say, 11pm, and you find that only half of your bags are there? You've now got almost 9 hours since your bags left the airport....the airlines aren't going to be happy tracking them.

I've had a bag not get to my room for almost 8 hrs after resort arrival. BUT....I changed resorts about 45 days prior to arrival....it should have been fine, but the bag went to the old resort and sat there. No one thought anything of it!!! It took 3 hrs to figure out what had happened to it!!! Waiting until 1:30am is not the way you want to start your vacation!!
Couldn't that occur even if you rode the bus?

Couldn't that occur even if you rode the bus?
Yes. Here's my problem. DME CMs used to ask how many bags we checked. They made note of it and if all the bags didn't get to DME, they would start a search. Now? No one is asking how many bags were checked. So, if I checked 3 bags, and only 2 got to DME, how would anyone know to look for the third bag?

Disney still tells us that you are supposed to ride the bus in order to use the luggage delivery service. But, they do nothing to prevent guests from tagging bags, not riding the bus and taking an alternative mode of transportation to WDW. I'm always concerned that if something happens with a guests checked bag, but they didn't ride the bus, Disney will deny any responsibility. They could very well state that the guest did not ride the bus, and that luggage delivery is a perk of taking the bus.
So, I continue to toe the Disney official line...ride the bus to get luggage delivered. It's up to each person to make the choice for themselves.

do your bags arrive any earlier to your resort if you do carry on rather than check at airport
?
Sure, because you'll have the bags with you when you get to your resort. Checked bags take up to 3-4 hrs, after resort checkin, to get to your room. Bags you have with you stay with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!