Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

Hope someone can give insight on my situation...

We're a family of 3, DH will be renting a car and driving to MCO while DD and I will be taking ME (DD would rather take the Disney bus). We scatter our clothes and things among 3 suitcases. Should I call and see if I can get another ME tag with just my name on it since DH will not be riding the bus or can I use his luggage tag? If I use his luggage tag but his band is not scanned as riding ME, will that 3rd piece of luggage not make it? The reservation is in my name so the tags all say "miss cheerful chickadee" on top and then underneath they say "husband of cheerful chickadee" or "DD of cheerful chickadee". If that makes any sense.....

Hope someone can give insight on my situation...

We're a family of 3, DH will be renting a car and driving to MCO while DD and I will be taking ME (DD would rather take the Disney bus). We scatter our clothes and things among 3 suitcases. Should I call and see if I can get another ME tag with just my name on it since DH will not be riding the bus or can I use his luggage tag? If I use his luggage tag but his band is not scanned as riding ME, will that 3rd piece of luggage not make it? The reservation is in my name so the tags all say "miss cheerful chickadee" on top and then underneath they say "husband of cheerful chickadee" or "DD of cheerful chickadee". If that makes any sense.....

Just use the tags. It's fine.

(copied from another forum)

Bags with yellow Magical Express tags are summarily removed to the resorts unsynchronized with guest movements whether or not any of the latter were captured via Magic Band scans.

If you have a gate checked carryon or other piece with no yellow tag, and did not retrieve it from the carousel, you need to stop at the DME welcoming desk and let the CMs know, at which time someone might ask how many bags you have altogether.

Last edited:
Did this at AKL Jambo House and worked like a charm! Dropped my bag, checked in for my flight, they printed my boarding pass and I went to explore the Monorail Resorts before catching my uber to the airport that afternoon. Loved it!!

Did this at AKL Jambo House and worked like a charm! Dropped my bag, checked in for my flight, they printed my boarding pass and I went to explore the Monorail Resorts before catching my uber to the airport that afternoon. Loved it!!
RAC and DME aren't tied together....so anyone can use RAC to check their bags, at their resort, and get their boarding pass issued, then get to MCO in any manner they choose.
The above poster is looking to see if her dh's checked bag will get to the resort if he isn't on the bus. To this I answer...yes, use his yellow dme tag on a checked bag. It won't be an issue.

RAC and DME aren't tied together....so anyone can use RAC to check their bags, at their resort, and get their boarding pass issued, then get to MCO in any manner they choose.
The above poster is looking to see if her dh's checked bag will get to the resort if he isn't on the bus. To this I answer...yes, use his yellow dme tag on a checked bag. It won't be an issue.

goofy4tink,
I am not trying to get away with anything, or just get a jump at the parks. We are flying in for the Marathon, and the window to get to the expo to pick up our bibs is tight. I booked a car service to ESPN Sports Complex right from MCO, then plan on taking the bus back to the Contemporary. We have 3 children, and dread them dragging their luggage (and ours as well) through the sport complex while we are on limited time to pick up numbers and shirts (in two different locations!).

Will our luggage be delivered if NO ONE in our party gets on the DME at the airport? We booked DME, but now realize we don't have time and need to go right to Expo.

TIA!!!

goofy4tink,
I am not trying to get away with anything, or just get a jump at the parks. We are flying in for the Marathon, and the window to get to the expo to pick up our bibs is tight. I booked a car service to ESPN Sports Complex right from MCO, then plan on taking the bus back to the Contemporary. We have 3 children, and dread them dragging their luggage (and ours as well) through the sport complex while we are on limited time to pick up numbers and shirts (in two different locations!).

Will our luggage be delivered if NO ONE in our party gets on the DME at the airport? We booked DME, but now realize we don't have time and need to go right to Expo.

TIA!!!

It should be fine. The problem only arises if the airline misplaces your bags. They could be missing a while before you know it, and that makes it harder to track them down.

I've tried to read around and think I know the answer but there's so much info on this thread I can't quite keep up! Lot's of scenarios are just slightly different than ours! So hoping someone can help:

We are a family of four, a 2 year old and 1 year old. We are thinking about renting a car while we're in WDW this year since the buses with double strollers and two little ones seems like it will be stressful. I'd like to rent a standard size car but in order to fit both carseats, all of our luggage and a double stroller I'd have to rent an SUV to make sure we'll fit on the way to and from the airport. So, like many, contemplating using ME just for our luggage to save some money on the car size. It seems like the issue with possibly losing your luggage comes from not checking in at the ME counter. So my question is this- what if I go and check in at the counter but then don't get on the bus, leave from the check in counter to pick up our rental car?

Thanks!

I've tried to read around and think I know the answer but there's so much info on this thread I can't quite keep up! Lot's of scenarios are just slightly different than ours! So hoping someone can help:

We are a family of four, a 2 year old and 1 year old. We are thinking about renting a car while we're in WDW this year since the buses with double strollers and two little ones seems like it will be stressful. I'd like to rent a standard size car but in order to fit both carseats, all of our luggage and a double stroller I'd have to rent an SUV to make sure we'll fit on the way to and from the airport. So, like many, contemplating using ME just for our luggage to save some money on the car size. It seems like the issue with possibly losing your luggage comes from not checking in at the ME counter. So my question is this- what if I go and check in at the counter but then don't get on the bus, leave from the check in counter to pick up our rental car?

Thanks!
They will know that you didn't actually board a ME bus because they scan your MB (or your paper boarding pass equivalent) as you actually board (well just before you board) the bus. So you would need to go all the way to that point and then walk away... but just checking in at the counter isn't going to make a difference.

goofy4tink,

TIA!!!
Yes, your luggage will be delivered...should be fine. As someone already mentioned...the issue would be if the airline misdirected your bags and you didn't find out about it for a long time.
May I suggest something else? You can sign a form that enables one person to pick up another person's race packet. That way, one adult could go directly to the resort with the kids, while the other goes to ESPN to get the packets. I've done that for others. Much easier than dragging the kids to the Expo. Just a thought.

Thanks!
You're certainly not the first to have this situation!!! You can use DME to do this. Or, you can rent a smaller car and let one parent ride the DME with the kids while the other rents the car. Or, rent a car once you get to WDW....let DME take care of your stuff and you ride the bus and rent once you get there.
But...if you want to let DME take your bags while you get your car and drive to WDW, that's fine. Disney doesn't want you to do it, but they do nothing to prevent or stop the practice.

Yes, your luggage will be delivered...should be fine. As someone already mentioned...the issue would be if the airline misdirected your bags and you didn't find out about it for a long time.
May I suggest something else? You can sign a form that enables one person to pick up another person's race packet. That way, one adult could go directly to the resort with the kids, while the other goes to ESPN to get the packets. I've done that for others. Much easier than dragging the kids to the Expo. Just a thought.

You're certainly not the first to have this situation!!! You can use DME to do this. Or, you can rent a smaller car and let one parent ride the DME with the kids while the other rents the car. Or, rent a car once you get to WDW....let DME take care of your stuff and you ride the bus and rent once you get there.
But...if you want to let DME take your bags while you get your car and drive to WDW, that's fine. Disney doesn't want you to do it, but they do nothing to prevent or stop the practice.

Thanks! I didn't know I could rent a car in WDW! This would actually be much easier than at the airport I would assume! Is there a thread where I can read more about how to do this? Do they bring the car to our resort etc? THank you so much! You've been very helpful!

Thanks! I didn't know I could rent a car in WDW! This would actually be much easier than at the airport I would assume! Is there a thread where I can read more about how to do this? Do they bring the car to our resort etc? THank you so much! You've been very helpful!
If you rent within WDW, you'll have to use Alamo/National. They have two offices....one at the Dolphin (next to Epcot), and at the Car Care Center, down close to the Polynesian. You have to go to the Dolphin. But, you can request a ride to the CCC....they will send a shuttle for you, then you get there and pick up your car.
There are other companies that have offices in the Disney Springs resorts. The Doubletree, for instance, had Budget. Some of those companies will send a shuttle to get you and bring you to their office.
No companies will deliver your car to you...at least not to the best of my knowledge.

If you rent within WDW, you'll have to use Alamo/National. They have two offices....one at the Dolphin (next to Epcot), and at the Car Care Center, down close to the Polynesian. You have to go to the Dolphin. But, you can request a ride to the CCC....they will send a shuttle for you, then you get there and pick up your car.
There are other companies that have offices in the Disney Springs resorts. The Doubletree, for instance, had Budget. Some of those companies will send a shuttle to get you and bring you to their office.
No companies will deliver your car to you...at least not to the best of my knowledge.

also at BV Palace, which is a great location really close to Disney Springs. We have found better rates at that location

There is a stickied thread about rental car locations at WDW that might help.

Thanks for the great info! unfortunately, Disney changed its policy a couple of years ago. All adults must pick up their packets in person. We used to pick them up for each other.... no longer allowed.

Thanks for the great info! unfortunately, Disney changed its policy a couple of years ago. All adults must pick up their packets in person. We used to pick them up for each other.... no longer allowed.
Must be new policy...I picked up two people's packets last year....one for the 5k, the other for the half. They did have to sign a paper giving me permission.

Thanks! We just booked the Boardwalk so that will be perfect!

Must be new policy...I picked up two people's packets last year....one for the 5k, the other for the half. They did have to sign a paper giving me permission.
Gooftink,
I am getting totally OT, but they were really strict last year. They stopped that. Anyone over18 has to be there in person. You got lucky! We run Marathon weekend every year, and because of this policy, my kids miss an extra day of school...

anyway, Thank you so much for your help!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter