DLP Closed on 7/17?

I did not arrive until 4:30pm on the 50th and got right in without any wait and received the free golden Mickey ears. When did they hit capacity because the park was not busy when we were there?
They didn't hit capacity on the 50th, and I think they expected to. There was one point in the afternoon where the show at the castle had ended, they'd played Walt's opening speech and reshown the opening on the TV screens, and exclusive merchandise and FP were all gone. The park got kind of empty. I don't expect that to be that case this time around.

If parks close due to capacity, does that mean you can't hop from one park to the other since that is basically leaving a park and trying to gain admission to the other?

Disneyland is not going to be closed on July 17th...baring some natural disaster or other unforeseen event. It was not closed on July 17, 2005 either. DisneyGeek.com has photos from July 17, 2005 and several Dis'ers on this board were there as well.

Now...it's possible that Disneyland might reach capacity at some point during the day and then have to stop allowing guests to enter the park. That has happened in the past, but full park closures to the public have been very rare (e.g., the day of mourning for President Kennedy, 9/11, after the Northridge Earthquake for safety inspections).

Not to nit pick, but the park was open the day of the northridge quake. I was there. :)

The park never hit capacity on the 50th.

There are levels: 1: Fully open 2: Stop selling 1 days 3: Stop allowing new admits, only readmits 4: Close the gates, no one allowed in until enough leave.

If parks close due to capacity, does that mean you can't hop from one park to the other since that is basically leaving a park and trying to gain admission to the other?
Yes, if one park goes to a turnstile closure, no one can enter, so no hopping til it reopens.

It depends on whether the closures are impacting both parks or only one park. For example, most commonly, it's DL that experiences capacity closures. At that point, guests are able to exit DL and hop to DCA (assuming they have a valid park hopper ticket). However, they may not be allowed to hop back to DL depending on which stage the closure is at.

Not to nit pick, but the park was open the day of the northridge quake. I was there. :)
Good to know...a couple of other sites listed those as the only three unplanned Disneyland closures. Further investigations seems to indicate the aside from some weather related closures, the only two big closures were for Kennedy and 9/11.

I remember reading that Disneyland was closed on May 4, 2005 for a media day ahead of the 50th Anniversary Celebration, but that was a planned closure.

they did close temporarily in 2005 but that was because the ceremony was on mainstreet and they reopened the gates around noon that day. We stayed on site that week but will tell you that yes we were guaranteed entery, we didn't get into the park on the monorail until 7:30 in the morning after they opened the gates to people on the esplenade. Let me tell you that the hotel staff as well as the park management got an earful of complaints from guests staying on property and paying top dollar and then having to wait till the esplenade was emptied and thus space on mainstreet was full. we had to settle for watching the ceremony on a big screen tv in fantasyland. but i would figure on being there early because I am sure they will have something. Understand that in 2005, art linkletter and diane disney were there. there are no living children of walt or roy. so not sure who will be there

As the OP of the thread, you can actually edit the thread title if you wanted to. At the top of your first post, you should a "Thread Tools" and a little downward arrow. One of the options is "Edit Title". That's how I edited the title of a couple of threads I started recently.

At the last 24-hour day, we were in DCA, left about 6 PM to find the security lines closed (with long, long lines behind them) and a long windy single line to DL (that was not moving). We had been planning on going to the WOD store in DTD and then crossing back across the esplanade and going back to our hotel for the night (across Harbor). Instead, we turned around and went right back into DCA and finished our shopping at Elias & Co instead! DCA was not closed for capacity; however, the security lines were closed, so the only people allowed into DCA were the ones who had just exited either DCA or DL.

It depends on the closure level of the park you want to enter. Starshine514 left DCA around 6PM, but was able to re-enter DCA because it was not closed for park hopping or re-entry. If you had already been in DCA or left DL and wanted to enter DCA you could as long as you didn't exit beyond bag check. However, if you left DL or DCA and tried to enter DL that was not possible because DL was completely closed by 6PM.

Thanks for the info and first hand accounts from past capacity closure dates. My plan is to hit DCA that day. I don't think I'll hop that day but it's good to know how it works since it's so easy to change plans at DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter