Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot afford another option.

It seems like a great solution would be to offer rooms like non-Disney hotels do - standard view/king bed, standard view/shower only, standard view/bath option. Relying on CM’s to assign rooms individually doesn’t seem like the best way to go. I see benefits to having both options, but why over complicate things with requests when you can do it on the screen when booking?

Book AoA, Sports or Music, they have not been renovated yet.

The more categories the more difficult it is to fill all the rooms in a way they don’t have empty nights. If they ever add shower vs tub I imagine you’ll see other choices disappear.

That said -

We have been in new rooms 5-6 times and never got a shower.

Last edited:

It seems like a great solution would be to offer rooms like non-Disney hotels do - standard view/king bed, standard view/shower only, standard view/bath option. Relying on CM’s to assign rooms individually doesn’t seem like the best way to go. I see benefits to having both options, but why over complicate things with requests when you can do it on the screen when booking?

You may wish to look into this further. The All Star Resorts (that are NOT all refurbished at this point) are less expensive than Pop so you do have the option of finding a Disney resort at a lesser price that is not yet (fully) refurbished if a guaranteed room with a tub is a deal breaker for you. Truly only you can decide how big a deal this is for you.

Can anyone confirm which of the All Star Resort(s) are currently being refurbished?

Be happy that you found out about this ahead of time. It's much better than showing up and not having a bathtub and not having a back-up plan. Now you have options:

1. Request a room with a bathtub. If you don't get one, go to the front desk and request it again, they might be able to move you to a room with a bathtub.

2. Take a toddler-size inflatable bathtub with you so you don't have to worry about it. Or, take a flat rubber jar opener to put over the shower drain. Assuming there's somewhat of a ledge on the shower, you can get a few inches of water for a make-shift shallow bathtub. I used to have to do that when I had a toddler and lived in a house that only a had a walk-in shower.

3. Change your reservation to a different resort. The All-Star resorts are currently undergoing the same type of renovations that Pop Century has so chances are that they will have the same issue. The Little Mermaid rooms at AoA will be the last ones to be renovated so if you're going in the next year or two, those rooms should be "safe" and guaranteed a bathtub unless you get a HA room.

I can understand how this could be frustrating for you. We traveled with young kids for many years (we have 5...seemed like we *always* had a "little" one). If they were young and didn't like to take a shower and we ended up in a room with no tub (I'm talking about non-Disney places), I would either do the flat jar opener trick, or I'd just wash them by the sink. Fortunately, our kids were fine with showers by the time they were about 2. They didn't necessarily want to stand under the shower, but they were willing to stand in the shower stall while I washed them with the flowing water.

I personally am one of those people who is happy that Disney is putting walk-in showers in some of their value rooms. While a lot of families with young kids *do* travel to Disney I think there are even more with older kids or no kids who are traveling to Disney. I would estimate that less than 25% of guests have kids under 2 or 3 (when most kids are willing to try a shower). My husband has an artificial hip and it can be challenging to step over the side of the tub after a long day in the parks. We're very happy to have a walk in shower in our suite at AoA. Our challenge when we no longer stay at AoA will be the opposite of yours...we'll want a room with no tub and only a walk-in shower. I think Disney is trying to accommodate a variety of guests as it's not just families with young kids who spend their money there.

You have a lot of great suggestions here!

Just as a heads up, for the 'shower only' rooms at Pop, a drain cover as you're identifying would not work in this type of shower. Rather than a single drain the shower has a long drain that runs the width of the shower. It's hard to see in this picture but it's the only one I could find that demonstrates what I mean. The red arrow is pointing to a dark line and that dark line is the drain for the shower.
upload_2018-7-23_12-21-51.png

You’re really making a mountain out of a molehill. I would wager that it’s a 50/50 split of rooms with tubs vs without. If you list it as your main request (through the reservation line), I’m sure you’ll get one. It’s not like a tub room is elusive. (We just had one and it didn’t matter one way or the other for us).

@coffeegal85, if you would like to request a room with a tub we have an entire thread dedicated to gathering information about which rooms have tubs and which ones have showers only.

So far out of the almost 3000 rooms at Pop, fellow DISers have shared information about 128 rooms. Of those 128 rooms, 85 of them (69%) have tubs.

I'm hoping this information and the knowledge that you can request a room change if needed will help take stress off of you. You're going to Disney and it's unfortunate that something like this could cause you undue planning stress.

If anyone is currently at Pop and can provide an update on the status of refurbishments in Building 1 it would be greatly appreciated!

How is having more requests available less complicated than more room options?

The reality is most people aren't going to find the tub option a big enough deal to worry about making a request for it. For some people it is so those people can request that option.

Disney has many options and not all fit every person. As stated above the All Star resorts are less expensive than POP so maybe that option would be a better fit for you.

You may wish to look into this further. The All Star Resorts (that are NOT all refurbished at this point) are less expensive than Pop so you do have the option of finding a Disney resort at a lesser price that is not yet (fully) refurbished if a guaranteed room with a tub is a deal breaker for you. Truly only you can decide how big a deal this is for you.

Can anyone confirm which of the All Star Resort(s) are currently being refurbished?

You have a lot of great suggestions here!

Just as a heads up, for the 'shower only' rooms at Pop, a drain cover as you're identifying would not work in this type of shower. Rather than a single drain the shower has a long drain that runs the width of the shower. It's hard to see in this picture but it's the only one I could find that demonstrates what I mean. The red arrow is pointing to a dark line and that dark line is the drain for the shower.
View attachment 339064

According to the FB group I belong to, Buildings 9 & 10 of AS Movies have been refurbished. Building 8 is currently closed. I'm not sure if that's been updated in the last week or so, so they could be further.

Ahhh, yes, that drain might be a little challenging to cover. Duct tape, maybe??? Or several rectangular shaped flat rubber jar openers laid end-to-end????

We requested a tub because my teen prefers baths. We got two rooms with tubs. No issue. (I would have preferred a shower but she was adamant. ).

I use an app called Sleep Machine, which has a clock interface that stays lit all night if the phone is plugged in, and allows you to combine up to four sounds to customize your sleep symphony. It sounds really good on my iPad -sometimes I put the phone on one side of the bed and the iPad on the other. I have used it at Pop on all my stays and didn’t hear anything outside my room. I also use it at home because the neighbors dogs can get a little barky at night.

I need to download this :) Do you use the ipad speakers or plug in an external one?

I need to download this :) Do you use the ipad speakers or plug in an external one?

I just use the iPad speakers. My iPad Pro has pretty good sound and volume. My old iPad Mini isn't as loud, but was loud enough to do the job. I usually have it right on the nightstand next to the bed, so if I'm sleeping on the bed closest to the bathroom, it's between me and the exterior door.

Just looking for a quick answer......
Are all the rooms refurbished? If not where are they with the process?

Just looking for a quick answer......
Are all the rooms refurbished? If not where are they with the process?

All rooms are refurbished or are closed for refurbishment. Anyone checking in will now have a refurbished room.

ETA: They are working on buildings 1 & 2 in the 50's section but I believe some rooms in each of those buildings are already back in inventory.

All rooms are refurbished or are closed for refurbishment. Anyone checking in will now have a refurbished room.

ETA: They are working on buildings 1 & 2 in the 50's section but I believe some rooms in each of those buildings are already back in inventory.
Some rooms in building 1 are open to guests but we have not received confirmation that any rooms in building 2 are open yet.

Didn't want to get anyone's hopes up if they're a building 2 fan and arriving soon. ;)

As for the shower vs tub room debate, I am glad that I found out now. While I won't be changing resorts, due to an agency exclusive offer that beats even the All Star Resort prices, I do still think that Disney could have planned this a little better for BOTH sides. Even the thread with all the room information finds no logical explanation of which rooms have showers and which have baths. That's all I am trying to say.

For my room request, we have standard pool view so we wanted to 50s room on the top floor without an adjoining room… so I looked up the qualifications and gave them a list of 10 or so room numbers that fit this criteria. Hopefully it works out

I’ve never had an adjoining room door at pop, but I’ve had them at other hotels and they seem To allow the noise to carry so easily between the rooms

For my room request, we have standard pool view so we wanted to 50s room on the top floor without an adjoining room… so I looked up the qualifications and gave them a list of 10 or so room numbers that fit this criteria. Hopefully it works out

Hopefully it does. Just beware if you used touring plans to look up the qualifications they are wrong more than right.

I'm having an issue with my room requests!

I made 2 selections (70's and higher floor) and suddenly they're gone! disappeared.
I'm trying to put them back but the selection list is empty, I can't select anything... :(
and I can't call Disney because I'm not from USA and this is pretty expensive here

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter