Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be extremely popular and they will not restrict it in any way. I can see many choosing to ride it just to try it out as it’s an exciting new form of transportation and vantage point to look at Disney.
They really need to restrict the Skyliner during the first days of opening; otherwise, all the Skyliner hotels are going to be flooded. If the Skyliner can hold 5 thousand people per hour, you can bet 10 thousand or more are going to show up. It will make it impossible to cross the bridge to get to AofA. It might even be impossible to get out of the 60s to go to the food court!!!

I mean, looking at the opening day of Pandora, where people waited 5 hours just to get in the place. The Skyliner is practically a ride, and it's free! The restrictions only have to last until the newness wears off. I'd say it would probably take a couple of months. However, you will always have people who come to Pop from Epcot or HS just for the gondola ride, then turn around and ride back. Just like the monorail.

Another way is for Disney to charge for rides on the gondola for non gondola hotel guests. The magic band makes that very easy to do. But even that may not take care of the problem. So yeah, they should really restrict it. I hope so, I don't want the 60s to be flooded with people in line.

They really need to restrict the Skyliner during the first days of opening; otherwise, all the Skyliner hotels are going to be flooded. If the Skyliner can hold 5 thousand people per hour, you can bet 10 thousand or more are going to show up. It will make it impossible to cross the bridge to get to AofA. It might even be impossible to get out of the 60s to go to the food court!!!

I mean, looking at the opening day of Pandora, where people waited 5 hours just to get in the place. The Skyliner is practically a ride, and it's free! The restrictions only have to last until the newness wears off. I'd say it would probably take a couple of months. However, you will always have people who come to Pop from Epcot or HS just for the gondola ride, then turn around and ride back. Just like the monorail.

Another way is for Disney to charge for rides on the gondola for non gondola hotel guests. The magic band makes that very easy to do. But even that may not take care of the problem. So yeah, they should really restrict it. I hope so, I don't want the 60s to be flooded with people in line.

The guests that do ride will be spread out over the whole system, and it is constantly loading and unloading the equivalent of bus loads of guests, it'll be ok and no reason to restrict people from riding. Check out the Gondola thread for information.

I really don't anticipate there being a huge number of people visiting Pop. If people want to try out the Skyliner (as they have the right to) I can see them going between Epcot or DHS and the Caribbean Beach and then going back. I don't expect an influx of people visiting Pop.

Will it be something new, exciting and popular? Yes, but that's just as it should be! The monorail has been around forever and many people still ride it daily just to experience it.

I really don't anticipate there being a huge number of people visiting Pop. If people want to try out the Skyliner (as they have the right to) I can see them going between Epcot or DHS and the Caribbean Beach and then going back. I don't expect an influx of people visiting Pop.

Will it be something new, exciting and popular? Yes, but that's just as it should be! The monorail has been around forever and many people still ride it daily just to experience it.

I agree. I think there will be an influx of press, bloggers, curiosity seekers, etc. during the first week (especially on day one...unless they do press previews) and then it will level out. It's not as convenient to ride the Skyliner as say a ride in a park. You either have to be at one of the resorts it services or you have to be at DHS or EP. People that aren't at one of those places will have to make an effort to get to the Skyliner and I just don't see that happening in huge droves. Will there be a line for it on opening day? Probably...but I don't imagine there being a line of 10,000 people waiting to get on it the minute it opens that first day. And even if there are 10,000 people, that line will be disbursed in 2 hours which is far faster than any attraction would handle 10,000 people. It's not a new land with themed rides and restaurants. It's a form of transportation. Will people want to try it out and use it as a "free" ride on a down day or arrival day when they might not have a park ticket? Sure. But it's not going to come close to having the mad rush of people like Pandora or Toy Story Land did or that Star Wars Land will. And keep in mind, there are plenty of people who are saying they will *never* ride it and will use other transportation to get to DHS & EP when staying at one of the Skyliner resorts. It will be fine. If someone is concerned about it causing crowding at those resorts, then don't plan to stay at those resorts this year. Certainly the novelty will have worn off by 2020.

I agree. I think there will be an influx of press, bloggers, curiosity seekers, etc. during the first week (especially on day one...unless they do press previews) and then it will level out. It's not as convenient to ride the Skyliner as say a ride in a park. You either have to be at one of the resorts it services or you have to be at DHS or EP. People that aren't at one of those places will have to make an effort to get to the Skyliner and I just don't see that happening in huge droves. Will there be a line for it on opening day? Probably...but I don't imagine there being a line of 10,000 people waiting to get on it the minute it opens that first day. And even if there are 10,000 people, that line will be disbursed in 2 hours which is far faster than any attraction would handle 10,000 people. It's not a new land with themed rides and restaurants. It's a form of transportation. Will people want to try it out and use it as a "free" ride on a down day or arrival day when they might not have a park ticket? Sure. But it's not going to come close to having the mad rush of people like Pandora or Toy Story Land did or that Star Wars Land will. And keep in mind, there are plenty of people who are saying they will *never* ride it and will use other transportation to get to DHS & EP when staying at one of the Skyliner resorts. It will be fine. If someone is concerned about it causing crowding at those resorts, then don't plan to stay at those resorts this year. Certainly the novelty will have worn off by 2020.
Agree on all counts. And count me in as one of the people who will NEVER ride one. I'm too scared!

Agree on all counts. And count me in as one of the people who will NEVER ride one. I'm too scared!

I'm terrified of the gondolas as well but I'm not sure how to get to HS or Epcot from Pop without riding in one. Will you be driving to the parks?

I'm terrified of the gondolas as well but I'm not sure how to get to HS or Epcot from Pop without riding in one. Will you be driving to the parks?
It is anticipated that there will still be bus service to Epcot and DHS but probably just not as frequently. Disney has not made an official announcement though so nobody truly knows.

They will still have buses, just like they do now.

It is anticipated that there will still be bus service to Epcot and DHS but probably just not as frequently. Disney has not made an official announcement though so nobody truly knows.

Exactly! We still don’t know how things like thunderstorms will effect the gondolas? There will be times that they will have to shut them down, so buses will still be necessary. Also, I’d imagine they would keep HS/Epcot bus schedule roughly the same as they are now for awhile. Then run the usage numbers on those buses and gondola use and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I believe they will try to curtail parking at the resorts closest to the gondolas. People will park at those resorts and ride the gondolas to Epcot or DHS. They do it now for Epcot at the BW & Y&B and the villas, especially for F&W. Saves them the parking fee.

We're only at POP our arrival night, then moving to Beach Club for the week. I'm on this page because my in-laws are at POP all week and I'm doing all their planning. They can ride the gondola to meet us outside Epcot as much as they want!

I think people will specifically step out the back of Epcot or out of DS just to ride it. I mean after all that sort of transport was at one time literally a ride in the park. On no other type of onsite transportation have I ever seen anyone asked for proof they were staying on site. So yeah there will be a lot of folks just checking it out.

I think for myself, We stay at PoP, so this will be awesome for returning back to our hotel at the end of the night, that's if they are running at night time. I don't think I read any where about the hours of operations. I did hear them talk about storms and the such. I don't mind walking back to the buses, since PoP has their own set of buses and they don't make stops at other hotels. But having this other option to get back to the hotel is going to be awesome and I can't wait! (Just hoping they will run at night time) - it will also make for some pretty good pictures!

Not during meal times, I'd say the food court, inside or out. When the weather is good, along the lake where there are benches with garbage cans next to them. (Some people go there to smoke, but most of the time it's quiet.) Although I don't know how good the wifi is by the lake.
Meal times means something like:
8am to 1030am
8pm to 1030 pm.
Lunch time is always quiet.

Where it isn't quiet:
The lobby -- there are always a ton of people, even in the middle of the night.
The main pool and quiet pools
(I've been to other hotels such as Beach Club or Caribbean Beach where the quiet pool is very quiet, but Pop isn't one of them.)

I forgot to mention: All pool areas are quiet when they are closed. Pools are normally open from 9am to 11 p.m. You can sit by the pool at night after it closes. In the morning, they do cleaning so you won't be able to sit there during cleaning, but the rest of the time should be fine. Pool areas have good wifi. Also in the morning, even after the pool opens, it's quiet for about an hour until enough people come to swim.
Quiet pool doesn't mean it will be a quiet area. It just means it is unthemed. Disney calls them leisure pools, not quiet pools.

Quiet pool doesn't mean it will be a quiet area. It just means it is unthemed. Disney calls them leisure pools, not quiet pools.

The bowling pin and computer pools are 50's and 90's themed. While not exactly quiet, they are quieter than the Hippy Dippy pool, especially when they have their daily parties/activities for the resort guests.

I added a night onto our May trip so we can fly at 4pm the night before instead of 5am. We've never been to Pop and are thinking of staying there for that first night. There is a discount on Standard Pool view rooms, so the 50's or 90's sections. The pool view sounds great, but I'd love to be closer to Classic Hall. How is the walk to the 90's? Is it worth it to pay the extra money ($40 for the night) for a preferred pool view to be in the 60's?

I added a night onto our May trip so we can fly at 4pm the night before instead of 5am. We've never been to Pop and are thinking of staying there for that first night. There is a discount on Standard Pool view rooms, so the 50's or 90's sections. The pool view sounds great, but I'd love to be closer to Classic Hall. How is the walk to the 90's? Is it worth it to pay the extra money ($40 for the night) for a preferred pool view to be in the 60's?
The 90s is fine if you cut across the parking lot...

it’s only 1 night so I would keep what you have.

My husband and I stayed here one night on January 27, 2019 before we moved to Coronado Springs for the week. We liked the way the room was decorated, it was very nice. However, please be aware that the walls seemed to be incredibly thin and you could hear your neighbors actions without trying. Luckily, we only had to stay one night. We will not be staying at Pop Century again. This is why Disney provides a large variety of resorts, so if we don't like one, we can move on to another.:sunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter