Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I snagged a walk up table for Kona on the app, and even though it was ready before I even left my room at GF to walk over, they still held the table for me. Enjoying some pog juice now even though it’s not on the menu. :) I’d forgotten just how wonderful the CMs are here. It’s always so warm and welcoming. A manager came out to greet me and chat, he looks to be going around to all the tables. He said they have the Ohana bread pudding even though it’s not on the menu lol. Gonna get a dole whip and catch the EWP after dinner.

I really REALLY hope they keep this walk up feature after Covid.

Great luck on the Kona walk-up table last minute reservation. Ahh the Ohana bread pudding. Hard to justify for a party of 1 but thanks for the reminder of Ohana as we await its return.

Are you going for a classic Dole Whip Pineapple, Vanilla or Swirl? Or maybe lean into a Dole Whip with Rum Floater (Parrot Bay Coconut Rum).

Dave

Why would you take a bus to the MK when you can take a boat unless you are afraid of the water? Talk about magical.
Am I the only one not at all happy it has been turned into an IP resort? It is one of the iconic structures of opening day and should have stayed as such.
Now will each resort be dedicated to a character?

I guess we all have different opinions on this. Over the last several years to me, many of the WDW resort rooms have become less and less Disney-themed and could be a hotel anywhere outside of WDW (not saying the Poly was). I just booked the Poly a couple of hours ago for 6 nights in February 22 before our Disney cruise on the Fantasy. The new Moana room theming and the updating of the rooms was what tipped the scale for me over the YC. I certainly appreciate and respect your opinion. For me, the change is a good thing.

Of course I’m a huge Moana fan (I think it’s their best recent animated feature by a country mile) so I am biased, but not only does Moana fit the theme of the resort, imo it fits better and is frankly more authentic than the outdated and slightly sketchy 70s tiki culture stuff, as much as I do love the kitsch of it. A ton of thoughtful research and commitment to cultural authenticity went into that film. Given the new fifth Key of inclusion I can’t think of a better way to update the rooms at the Poly than to incorporate the first Polynesian Princess. And as pp said aside from Heihei the theming is not OTT. The design is gorgeous and I can’t wait for that rainfall shower, I’m so happy the hotel side will have those too now.

Speaking of construction, I didn’t get too many photos last night after dinner, but when I was getting my dole whip swirl I got this wall by Pineapple Lanai:

This thing is giant and took out a huge chunk of outdoor seating for CC’s so even if I wanted to eat there yesterday it would have been tough. To each their own but I’m kinda glad I didn’t stay there this time…it felt weird. None of that buzzy energy in the GCH and no smell at all! Very dark too because so many windows are blocked off due to construction. Just felt “off”. I will be glad to come back in October.

Of course I’m a huge Moana fan (I think it’s their best recent animated feature by a country mile) so I am biased, but not only does Moana fit the theme of the resort, imo it fits better and is frankly more authentic than the outdated and slightly sketchy 70s tiki culture stuff, as much as I do love the kitsch of it. A ton of thoughtful research and commitment to cultural authenticity went into that film. Given the new fifth Key of inclusion I can’t think of a better way to update the rooms at the Poly than to incorporate the first Polynesian Princess. And as pp said aside from Heihei the theming is not OTT. The design is gorgeous and I can’t wait for that rainfall shower, I’m so happy the hotel side will have those too now.

Speaking of construction, I didn’t get too many photos last night after dinner, but when I was getting my dole whip swirl I got this wall by Pineapple Lanai:

View attachment 578968

This thing is giant and took out a huge chunk of outdoor seating for CC’s so even if I wanted to eat there yesterday it would have been tough. To each their own but I’m kinda glad I didn’t stay there this time…it felt weird. None of that buzzy energy in the GCH and no smell at all! Very dark too because so many windows are blocked off due to construction. Just felt “off”. I will be glad to come back in October.

I hope most of that changes when I get there first week of July

View attachment 578968

Anyone know what they are doing behind that construction wall?

Anyone know what they are doing behind that construction wall?

That’s where they took out that massive tree. Probably repairing whatever damage it caused/redoing the area, if I had to guess. Would make for a nice additional seating area, IMO.

I saw a pic taken from the second floor looking down into that area sometime over the weekend, I’ll see if I can find it.

That’s where they took out that massive tree. Probably repairing whatever damage it caused/redoing the area, if I had to guess. Would make for a nice additional seating area, IMO.

I saw a pic taken from the second floor looking down into that area sometime over the weekend, I’ll see if I can find it.

I must’ve missed that post. I wasn’t aware they took out the tree. That’s disappointing, but I’m guessing there was a reason. I agree, it would make for a good additional seating space. Thanks for the update!

I must’ve missed that post. I wasn’t aware they took out the tree. That’s disappointing, but I’m guessing there was a reason. I agree, it would make for a good additional seating space. Thanks for the update!

Yeah, it was late last month. I read that it was causing problems (no clue if true, but the thing was literally right up against the building so seems logical). There was some discussion of it around this post: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...t-information-questions.3398524/post-62897860

View attachment 578968

polynesianmoanahighres2-9850161.jpeg
I am always amazed at the people that are saying the theming is subtle and not over the top. Don't get me wrong, I like it - quite a lot. However, there is nothing subtle about the full wall that is Hawaiian printed and features the characters.

Hello Poly people! I’m looking at booking for next August. We have stayed at POR and AoA but the Poly has been on my bucket list and now with the refurb and Moana theme (it’s our favorite movie), I’m sold. My problem is that there’s 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids ages 4,12,17. The standard room sleeps 5 but will we be too crammed in there? Last stay 2 years ago was at AoA in the family suite and it was great. But the rate for the Poly 1 bed suite is almost 3x the rate of the standard room and I just can’t justify the cost. Not to mention there’s no 1 beds available for next August anyway.
So my question is, do we just deal with the smaller space since we don’t spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway, or do I look at the Riviera which has a 1 bed suite for a couple hundred per night more....or do we do a split stay so we at least get a few nights of the experience at the Poly?
Has anyone slept 5 in the standard room? How was it?

View attachment 579194
I am always amazed at the people that are saying the theming is subtle and not over the top. Don't get me wrong, I like it - quite a lot. However, there is nothing subtle about the full wall that is Hawaiian printed and features the characters.

Obviously these things are very subjective, but if someone isn’t familiar enough with the movie to know those are Maui’s tattoos, that just looks like a Polynesian themed mural and an extension of the similar art style you see in the common areas of the resort.

Hello Poly people! I’m looking at booking for next August. We have stayed at POR and AoA but the Poly has been on my bucket list and now with the refurb and Moana theme (it’s our favorite movie), I’m sold. My problem is that there’s 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids ages 4,12,17. The standard room sleeps 5 but will we be too crammed in there? Last stay 2 years ago was at AoA in the family suite and it was great. But the rate for the Poly 1 bed suite is almost 3x the rate of the standard room and I just can’t justify the cost. Not to mention there’s no 1 beds available for next August anyway.
So my question is, do we just deal with the smaller space since we don’t spend a whole lot of time in the room anyway, or do I look at the Riviera which has a 1 bed suite for a couple hundred per night more....or do we do a split stay so we at least get a few nights of the experience at the Poly?
Has anyone slept 5 in the standard room? How was it?
We are a family of 5 and do fine at the Poly. We have stayed at POR and that was too cramped for me, but the Poly has larger rooms and suits us well. A split with Poly and a 1BR would be nice too though. We love doing a split stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter