Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

SO in case anyone cared, Dr. Ghaly just spoke about COVID numbers. And one of the reporters asked him about specific industries, such as bowling alleys, that are not on the blueprint list, and why can’t they be given guidelines when industries like restaurants and shopping malls can. when can they be Allowed?

Response was along the lines of this (I tried to write it down but didn’t catch it word by word):

There are many industries not on the Current blueprint, some not in the blueprint at all (like even the original guidelines) wondering what is the right time, the right modification and changes. We have heard from many of them, like the bowling alleys. As we hear from them we are “sitting down in earnest” to hear what they are saying to find what part of the blueprint they fit in, so they can have confidence and assurance on what to plan when they can resume operation.

😒😑🙄

SO in case anyone cared, Dr. Ghaly just spoke about COVID numbers. And one of the reporters asked him about specific industries, such as bowling alleys, that are not on the blueprint list, and why can’t they be given guidelines when industries like restaurants and shopping malls can. when can they be Allowed?

Response was along the lines of this (I tried to write it down but didn’t catch it word by word):

There are many industries not on the Current blueprint, some not in the blueprint at all (like even the original guidelines) wondering what is the right time, the right modification and changes. We have heard from many of them, like the bowling alleys. As we hear from them we are “sitting down in earnest” to hear what they are saying to find what part of the blueprint they fit in, so they can have confidence and assurance on what to plan when they can resume operation.

😒😑🙄
Insane. I feel bad for everyone that lives there and can't enjoy Disney.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. It really depends on the ride. With us, in Disneyland Paris, normally Phantom Manor is one of the highest capacity rides with rarely a queue longer than 20 minutes in normal operation. We see now queues of over an hour in the weekends due to the low capacity of the elevator.

It's about groups of guests instead of number of guests.
Solo riders are now a problem for capacity, where they were a solution in olden times as they take up space of groups of more people. And it now also matters more in which order groups of different sizes come in. See below 2 rides I made on Tower of Terror on two different visits. 1x 8 people, 1x 7 people, but 4 versus 3 groups. But depending on the groups this could have been more or less, which increases or decreases the wait time of the people after us.
View attachment 528082

For this group below, the group of 4 was the first to be sorted by the CM. If he had known that after the group of 4 were a group of 2 and a single. He would have better placed the group of four on the first row, put the single on the back row with another group (max 3 people)

View attachment 528083

Probably a bit of both. There is a lot what WDW is not telling, like how many CMs have been tested positive.
But my personal guess that they are probably afraid to scare off guests when they tell they increase the capacity.

I actually agree with you that some rides will see wait times go up due to the party sizes throwing things off. At DCA for Guardians, they would have moved the party of 4 to a front row to better fit more people. I have seen it done many times. That is beside the point. Many are pointing to the super low crowds and low wait times at WDW and thinking that is what will happen at DL. The last 2 weeks the crowds down there have increased as have the wait times. Not the walk ons for everything like a month or 2 ago. It was to be expected and really is like a normal September crowd from what I am seeing. I do think that is what Disneyland will be like from Day 1. It will hit the "capacity allowed" numbers every day based on local APs alone. I mean there are 1 million of them in this area compared to WDW --- DL is a very different audience than WDW --- it just makes sense. I seem to be in the minority on this thought and frankly I don't care. But I do believe it will feel very crowded at Disneyland even with reduced crowds since many walkways are very right (looking at by Jungle Cruise or Haunted or Tomorrowland) and then the lines will have to come out into those spaces for the social distancing purposes. No shows to suck up people. I have been several times during Christmas week so I have seen the worst and I think this will be a lot like it.

😒😑🙄
How long do they need to talk.....

I saw the commercial as a call to action for social pressure. A pp already mentioned how Newsom is probably wary of opening more and more too soon, so it may still.be a while until he feels comfortable releasing guidelines and then approving a date for them to reopen. I really want to go back but I understand why he's apprehensive about letting people (even @25% capacity) gather. Here's hoping he provides guidelines soon!!!!!!
Sorry. Not to be super blunt BUT.....I think alot of people are feeling that it's time for Newsom to put his "big boy" pants on and reopen Disneyland. I was trying to think of reasons he may be wary and I can't think of any real reasons. Didn't the beach thing happen quite a while ago? Aren't numbers way down since then if I'm not mistaken? Disney has proven literally the world over that they can reopen safely. The longer Newsom waits the more he looks bad. The commercial did a great job of pointing out the fact that there are many working people that rely on Disneyland being open. Disneyland is more that just a fun place to go. In many ways it holds up the city of Anaheim. OK, I'm getting of the proverbial soap box now. :)

😒😑🙄

well that is interesting. I guess I would have assumed it would be with the family fun center type places. I know the Boomers by me has a sign about being open now.

Sorry. Not to be super blunt BUT.....I think alot of people are feeling that it's time for Newsom to put his "big boy" pants on and reopen Disneyland. I was trying to think of reasons he may be wary and I can't think of any real reasons. Didn't the beach thing happen quite a while ago? Aren't numbers way down since then if I'm not mistaken? Disney has proven literally the world over that they can reopen safely. The longer Newsom waits the more he looks bad. The commercial did a great job of pointing out the fact that there are many working people that rely on Disneyland being open. Disneyland is more that just a fun place to go. In many ways it holds up the city of Anaheim. OK, I'm getting of the proverbial soap box now. :)
I agree. It's very suspicious that they are making it seem like rocket science when I'm sure there's some interns or other "office associates" who can get this done. As a matter of fact, I'm sure these industries, especially Dinsey have already done the hard work like research and acoomodations. It's a total lie that there need to be more conversations, but the fact remains he is wary. Why? Who knows, but he is.

😒😑🙄

So in translation, that's:
"Oh shoot, we forgot about industry X. Um...we're working on it. It'll come out soon. We don't know what the heck we're doing and we're making it up as we go along."

I don't think it's just Disney that he's concerned about. Practically speaking, if he opens Disney, then he is also opening:

Universal Studios
Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland
Sea World
Magic Mountain
Discovery Kingdom
and probably ten other smaller parks I don't even know about

The question is what is the cumulative impact of opening all the parks at once (because they will open at once; none of them is going to sit back and let the others reopen while they take their time), including mass movement of people within California, and coming from outside of California. He's being extremely cautious, perhaps even overly cautious, but I don't think his SOLE consideration is Disney's ability to operate safely.

I agree. It's very suspicious that they are making it seem like rocket science when I'm sure there's some interns or other "office associates" who can get this done. As a matter of fact, I'm sure these industries, especially Dinsey have already done the hard work like research and acoomodations. It's a total lie that there need to be more conversations, but the fact remains he is wary. Why? Who knows, but he is.
Yeah! I agree too. I'll say it again....."big boy" pants.

I don't think it's just Disney that he's concerned about. Practically speaking, if he opens Disney, then he is also opening:

Universal Studios
Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland
Sea World
Magic Mountain
Discovery Kingdom

The question is what is the cumulative impact of opening all the parks at once (because they will open at once; none of them is going to sit back and let the others reopen while they take their time), including mass movement of people within California, and coming from outside of California. He's being extremely cautious, perhaps even overly cautious, but I don't think his SOLE consideration is Disney's ability to operate safely.
Oh sure. I agree. I just said Disneyland because the thread is about Disneyland. Hopefully he is able to put trust in this industry and get things rolling like "yesterday". :wave2:

Universal Studios
Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland
Sea World
Magic Mountain
Discovery Kingdom

Not all theme parks are alike and very few quite honestly have the financial backing to implement the stringent safety standards that Disney can. Disney should not be held back by the disadvantages of others. Further, the State created a tier system for a reason and should abide by it. Meaning that theme parks in counties in the lower tiers (red, orange, yellow) should be afforded more opportunities to open (like any other business) than theme parks in counties that are in the "purple".

Now here I am getting on my soapbox. Disneyland won't be closed forever and its only a matter of time before a lawsuit if the State won't partner with them.

Not all theme parks are alike and very few quite honestly have the financial backing to implement the stringent safety standards that Disney can. Disney should not be held back by the disadvantages of others. Further, the State created a tier system for a reason and should abide by it. Meaning that theme parks in counties in the lower tiers (red, orange, yellow) should be afforded more opportunities to open (like any other business) than theme parks in counties that are in the "purple".

Now here I am getting on my soapbox. Disneyland won't be closed forever and its only a matter of time before a lawsuit if the State won't partner with them.
I agree on the counties piece. He should put together guidelines for which tier your county has to be in to open theme parks, and what the regulations are for those theme parks. So, if San Diego County gets there first, then Legoland and Sea World reopen, and Disney and Universal are SOL. However, I bet that the regulations, whenever they some, will be for "theme parks" or "amusement parks" generally, without discriminating in favor of the parks with the deepest pockets.

Universal Studios
Knotts Berry Farm
Legoland
Sea World
Magic Mountain
Discovery Kingdom

Just because the state declares guidlines does not mean that all parks need to chose to open. If a park feels that they can't meet or don't want to meet the current guidelines then they can chose not to open.

Yeah, with the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney and others don't already have a lawsuit in writing ready to go if they don't get and answer in the very near future.

I agree on the counties piece. He should put together guidelines for which tier your county has to be in to open theme parks, and what the regulations are for those theme parks. So, if San Diego County gets there first, then Legoland and Sea World reopen, and Disney and Universal are SOL. However, I bet that the regulations, whenever they some, will be for "theme parks" or "amusement parks" generally, without discriminating in favor of the parks with the deepest pockets.
The reality is not all theme (or amusement) parks are the same. Discovery Kingdom and Disneyland are not comparable. I, for one, will feel much safer going to Disneyland than I will be going to any other theme park whether it be Discovery Kingdom or even Seaworld for that matter. Disneyland creates hundreds of thousands of jobs...the smaller amusement parks don't. IMO you can't group all theme parks together and use that as an excuse to hold Disneyland back because of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter