Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, it's not necessary to post to a thread in order to subscribe to it. At the top of the first post of each page of the thread is a link labeled "Thread Tools". If you click on it, it opens up a drop down menu with a selection called "Subscribe to this Thread."

On my phone I don't have that option. :) If I was on the PC, then yes I would do it that way.

Edit: I just figured it out on my phone. It's a bit hidden (to me anyway). Thanks for prompting me to look more. I have been wanting to unfollow threads and now I can.

Sherry, first of all, thank you so much for all your help and all the holiday spirit you spread year round!

The carolers perform at all 3 hotels, and in Downtown Disney on select dates. I don't think they are still in Disneyland Park anymore -- though I could be wrong on that. They used to be in Disneyland.

I asked the @disneylandtoday Twitter and they said the Dickens Yuletide Band (their phrase) performed on Main Street at 1:10, 2:05 and 2:50.

I'm not sure what the Dickens Yuletide Band is (is that a fancy name for the carolers?) but I don't recall ever seeing them on Main Street.
Which by no means indicates they aren't there! :rotfl:

I truly love the GCH carolers. I'll ask at the GCH Front Desk.

Usually, if Santa is greeting guests in front of the tree at the GCH or PPH, the carolers won't be in front of the tree too. They seem to take turns. But the GCH carolers (I think there are two sets of them) may be down that that hallway I mentioned. I know it sounds silly, but I think that the Grand Californian Hotel "Hallway Carolers" are a different group than the Grand Californian "Tree Carolers"!!:rotfl2: They have different outfits too!

Wait - there are Hallway Carolers? I had no idea!!! I've only ever seen the Tree Carolers.

Thank you again for all your help!

Just popping in to say hi and check out the new thread. Our PP CD came yesterday, so hopefully I can finally get around to sharing some pictures!

Sherry, first of all, thank you so much for all your help and all the holiday spirit you spread year round! I asked the @disneylandtoday Twitter and they said the Dickens Yuletide Band (their phrase) performed on Main Street at 1:10, 2:05 and 2:50. I'm not sure what the Dickens Yuletide Band is (is that a fancy name for the carolers?) but I don't recall ever seeing them on Main Street. Which by no means indicates they aren't there! :rotfl: I truly love the GCH carolers. I'll ask at the GCH Front Desk. Wait - there are Hallway Carolers? I had no idea!!! I've only ever seen the Tree Carolers. Thank you again for all your help!
we just watched the Carolers at the grand. They played at 7:30 in the hallway and at 8:30 in front of the tree with Santa still on the other side.

Sherry, you amaze me! These threads are so wonderful and helpful. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all the hard work and organization you put into these threads.

Yay! I made it over too!

I am leaving for my trip tomorrow! So excited. I really wish I didn't have to work in the AM...9am to 1pm and then off to the airport for my 3:55pm flight.

I will try to check in while I am there! :moped:

We checked in yesterday at PPH and we were upgraded to a park view. I was so excited! The view is great. We are on the 9th floor and our friends are on the 12th with a park view.

We saw the World of Color from the 12th floor room and it was awesome! All 4 girls were thrilled and the adults too.

We then went to the 3rd floor to watch the fireworks from DL. They were nice but it was a short show.

We walked around DTD from 4p to 7p and did some shopping. The ice rink was cool and small. My girls didn't want to skate.

We are going to DL today and Anna and Elsa are first stop.

Thanks for all of the info.

I'm back at work today :mad:

My niece and I had a great three days in the parks, although they were crazy busy days!!!

Saturday in DL was a madhouse!!! I have been at all times of the year, summer, Halloween, etc and this was the absolute busiest I had ever seen DL. I think it wasn't just the CP and convention, there were also tons of dance groups and high school kids (I beleive a marching band or two). Just busy busy busy!

Sunday we were in DCA and in the morning it was pretty quite, but got busier as the day went on. Nothing like DL on Saturday though!!

Monday we were back in DL and in the morning it was great, but got busier as the day went on. The craziest was parade and fire work time! The parade was at 545 and so I figured we would find a spot about 5ish, but nope! As we were walking from Adventureland to Fantasyland at 4:15 I noticed that Main Street was already completely full of people waiting. So as we walked I was like, I think we better find a spot. We ended up near the Matterhorn at about 430 and it's a good thing we did! It was nuts!!!! Then later (we weren't watching the fireworks because we watched them on Saturday) we were around the Main Street area at about 7 and people were everywhere sitting on the ground in the middle of the street!!! We could barely get through. This was 2 1/2 hours before the fireworks! YIKES!!!

I will do a full trip report soon but wanted to share our A&E experience.

We lined up at the gates at about 820am and got in the park fairly quickly. We stopped to see Pluto on Main Street then got coffee and Starbucks. We were out of SB by 845 and I noticed the people with the A&E signs on Main Street just a bit down from SB. So we got in line. The line was LONG!! We started moving about 850 and walked all through Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland and down towards Big Thunder Ranch. They started issuing the tickets and once we got to the front it was 925. We got a return time of 2-220. We went about our day and exactly at 2 got in the FP line. We were done with the meet and greet at 234 (I checked my phone!!). I felt bad for people that were asking about getting in line (and tons were). There were no more FP (obciously) but folks didn't even know you needed one!!!

Overall I had the most magical birthday trip!!! Once my report is posted I will let you all know! I have to get some work done today! LOL!!!

Just a check update on Anna and Elsa. The park opened at 9am. We got to the section left of castle at rope drop. After we were allowed to go, I went left by the princess faire, around Bippity, and stopped right at the line for Anna and Elsa. It was 9:05 and since I had my party, we got in line. We were done by 9:30. It was a great experince and my 2 dd's--14 and 11 loved it. The fast pass line was halway to Big Thunder. What a great way to start our day.

Hi everyone and a big thank you to all for your info, especially Sherry. What a lot of work you've done, it's so appreciated!

My daughter, 7yr old granddaughter and I :dance3: are in packing mode for our trip. We arrive Monday Dec. 15th and depart on That Thur evening. We were just there in August for my dance studio's performance (what a thrill to have my granddaughter dancing in Disneyland) but we decided we needed to come back to soak up the great Christmas atmosphere.

We usually stay at the Candy Cane Inn but this time we are splurging and have reservations at the Disneyland Hotel. :yay: Last time I was there I stayed in the bungalows in the back forty. My TA has requested the Adventure tower, I have Club level and I know the lounge is in that building. Hope we get it.

Checked the weather reports and it looks like rain on Tue & Wed but we're from the NW and we should cope fine. The only thing I'm worried about is that I will be using an ECV and don't know how they work in the rain. Any feedback about that would be great.

Will post during our trip, need to figure out how to get pictures up for a trip report.

I'm here and having a great time! I just wandered around this evening. But when I saw the castle for the first time with the lights, it took my breath away. I literally wanted to cry.

I am at the DLH...I got upgraded to a deluxe view room over looking the pool. I'm in the Adventure Tower. This is my "I'm cancer free trip." I was given an autographed picture of Mikey Mouse and had a wonderful conversation with the CM.

More to come.

I'm here and having a great time! I just wandered around this evening. But when I saw the castle for the first time with the lights, it took my breath away. I literally wanted to cry.

I am at the DLH...I got upgraded to a deluxe view room over looking the pool. I'm in the Adventure Tower. This is my "I'm cancer free trip." I was given an autographed picture of Mikey Mouse and had a wonderful conversation with the CM.

More to come.

So glad you are having a great time! We'll be there in 11 days....hard to believe! ENJOY!

Hopefully, some of our friends from the previous Superthread have found us and/or will find us over here (Tracy/OHBelle, Jenasweetemotion, crystal1313, mom2rtk, lucysmom, Orbitron, Jenny/rentayenta, etc., etc.)!

:cool1::cool1:

This Parks Blog video is from yesterday:

"A Shopper’s Guide to Holiday Gifts at the Disneyland Resort" -- Disney Parks Blog; posted on December 10th, 2014 by Michelle Harker, Manager, Merchandise Marketing & Communications, Disneyland Resort

:cheer2::cheer2:

For those of you who may have a day free from DLR and want something else to do that is holiday-ish (but with roller coasters!!!), I've noticed that Six Flags Magic Mountain is stepping up its holiday game! You wouldn't ordinarily think of Magic Mountain as a place to go for pretty holiday lights and activities. They must have finally realized that all of the holiday celebrants/theme park visitors head to Disneyland Resort, to Knott's Merry Farm or to Grinchmas at Universal Studios Hollywood for their doses of yuletide cheer and fun rides.

Six Flags is now doing something called "Holiday in the Park." Their website gives the basic info, which can be found -- HERE.

MiceAge did a good piece on "Holiday in the Park," with detailed photos -- HERE.

I mean, it's not Disneyland Resort. It's not Knott's Merry Farm. But at least Six Flags is trying to do something holiday-ish in a park that is generally not associated with holiday fun at all! And there are probably a lot of people who love holiday-related activities and love roller coasters too, so there must be a market for it! I don't know why it took Six Flags so long to finally do this, but at least they're doing it now!

:santa::santa:

Hi Sherry, I am ever so grateful for all the hard work you put into the superthreads.:worship: I love reading them and posting when I can. Just came back yesterday from my DLR trip. I had so much fun. Sadly, I wish the only snow I ever had to see was Christmastime at DLR. Just not fond of the real thing, especially after the last few winters we've had on the east coast. Maybe you will do a superthread for the 60th anniversary. Just looking ahead a little, but already planning for the next trip.:guilty:

We really loved the dancing Olaf magic shot inside the entrance at DL. The photopass CM said they just started it. It was a lot of fun posing for all those pictures. Still jet lagged, so I haven't had a chance to look at all the pictures.

dalstitch45 --

Welcome, and thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad you had a good trip (even though it meant returning to real snow)! It will be interesting to see what next year holds in terms of holiday activities at DLR, considering the fact that the 60th anniversary events will probably be prominent.

Wow Sherry! You are Amazing, and a Humble leader of all things Christmas!!
Thank You for all of your time and patience with us!

:flower3:

--Lori

Thank you for the kind words, Lori!:goodvibes I'm glad you joined us over here for another year of fun!:cheer2:

On my phone I don't have that option. :) If I was on the PC, then yes I would do it that way.

Edit: I just figured it out on my phone. It's a bit hidden (to me anyway). Thanks for prompting me to look more. I have been wanting to unfollow threads and now I can.

mrsbicewdw --

I'm glad you spoke up to let us know that you're there! I know that there are a lot of lurkers, but it's always nice to know who is following along.

Sherry, first of all, thank you so much for all your help and all the holiday spirit you spread year round!

I asked the @disneylandtoday Twitter and they said the Dickens Yuletide Band (their phrase) performed on Main Street at 1:10, 2:05 and 2:50.

I'm not sure what the Dickens Yuletide Band is (is that a fancy name for the carolers?) but I don't recall ever seeing them on Main Street.
Which by no means indicates they aren't there! :rotfl:

I truly love the GCH carolers. I'll ask at the GCH Front Desk.

Wait - there are Hallway Carolers? I had no idea!!! I've only ever seen the Tree Carolers.

Thank you again for all your help!

pinksand --

Thank you so much for the kind words as well!:goodvibes I really appreciate it, and I appreciate those who are following along and realizing that this is a good thread to get information and to go in-depth about what the Holidays at DLR entail.

I think that actual carolers used to perform in Disneyland, though I don't know when they stopped performing in that park.

The Dickens Yuletide Band is an actual band -- like the other random bands that pop up on Main Street, etc. I wanted to catch them last year and I missed them

Yes, at the GCH there is a set of Hallway Carolers (my informal name for them!:rotfl2:), and I think they have different outfits from the ones who perform in front of the giant tree. The carolers at the other 2 Disney hotels may have slightly different outfits as well.

Just popping in to say hi and check out the new thread. Our PP CD came yesterday, so hopefully I can finally get around to sharing some pictures!

Hi, Jamie! :wave:

I'm glad you joined us, and I look forward to seeing your photos! I know it's a busy time for you.

we just watched the Carolers at the grand. They played at 7:30 in the hallway and at 8:30 in front of the tree with Santa still on the other side.

chrisaman --

Thank you so much for letting us know the times that you saw them at the GCH - it helps a lot. In fact, I will add it into the GCH section of the Hotels post on page 1.

Sherry, you amaze me! These threads are so wonderful and helpful. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all the hard work and organization you put into these threads.

lorijohnhill --

Thank you for saying such nice things!:goodvibes The Halloween and Christmas/Holiday Superthreads do require a lot of work and time to set them up, and to maintain, do the Theme Week Countdowns, etc. -- but I think the works pays off in that a lot of people learn a lot about those seasons from the great info given out in this thread, and Disney knows about these threads and occasionally peeks in.

We checked in yesterday at PPH and we were upgraded to a park view. I was so excited! The view is great. We are on the 9th floor and our friends are on the 12th with a park view.

We saw the World of Color from the 12th floor room and it was awesome! All 4 girls were thrilled and the adults too.

We then went to the 3rd floor to watch the fireworks from DL. They were nice but it was a short show.

We walked around DTD from 4p to 7p and did some shopping. The ice rink was cool and small. My girls didn't want to skate.

We are going to DL today and Anna and Elsa are first stop.

Thanks for all of the info.

mlnbabies --

Thank you for the updates!

I'm so glad you got upgraded to a park view at the PPH :cool1: -- isn't it an amazing view? I don't think I've been on the 9th floor, but last year my view was from the 12th floor and I couldn't stop staring out the window!

I'm back at work today :mad:

My niece and I had a great three days in the parks, although they were crazy busy days!!!

Saturday in DL was a madhouse!!! I have been at all times of the year, summer, Halloween, etc and this was the absolute busiest I had ever seen DL. I think it wasn't just the CP and convention, there were also tons of dance groups and high school kids (I beleive a marching band or two). Just busy busy busy!

Sunday we were in DCA and in the morning it was pretty quite, but got busier as the day went on. Nothing like DL on Saturday though!!

Monday we were back in DL and in the morning it was great, but got busier as the day went on. The craziest was parade and fire work time! The parade was at 545 and so I figured we would find a spot about 5ish, but nope! As we were walking from Adventureland to Fantasyland at 4:15 I noticed that Main Street was already completely full of people waiting. So as we walked I was like, I think we better find a spot. We ended up near the Matterhorn at about 430 and it's a good thing we did! It was nuts!!!! Then later (we weren't watching the fireworks because we watched them on Saturday) we were around the Main Street area at about 7 and people were everywhere sitting on the ground in the middle of the street!!! We could barely get through. This was 2 1/2 hours before the fireworks! YIKES!!!

I will do a full trip report soon but wanted to share our A&E experience.

We lined up at the gates at about 820am and got in the park fairly quickly. We stopped to see Pluto on Main Street then got coffee and Starbucks. We were out of SB by 845 and I noticed the people with the A&E signs on Main Street just a bit down from SB. So we got in line. The line was LONG!! We started moving about 850 and walked all through Fantasy Faire and Fantasyland and down towards Big Thunder Ranch. They started issuing the tickets and once we got to the front it was 925. We got a return time of 2-220. We went about our day and exactly at 2 got in the FP line. We were done with the meet and greet at 234 (I checked my phone!!). I felt bad for people that were asking about getting in line (and tons were). There were no more FP (obciously) but folks didn't even know you needed one!!!

Overall I had the most magical birthday trip!!! Once my report is posted I will let you all know! I have to get some work done today! LOL!!!

Tina --

Thank you so much for reporting back to us, especially with the crowd info and the Anna/Elsa info.

I'm so glad you had a great birthday trip!

Yes, I think you're right -- in no way was it just the CP that caused the crowds on Saturday, 12/6. The 3 Disney hotels are never fully booked for just the CP alone, but this year they were booked. It was a combination of the pharmacist Midyear Meeting in town (and many of the attendees were staying at the DLR hotels, and inevitably were in the park on Saturday), RaverDay and whatever other dance groups may have been there, etc.

Hi everyone and a big thank you to all for your info, especially Sherry. What a lot of work you've done, it's so appreciated!

My daughter, 7yr old granddaughter and I :dance3: are in packing mode for our trip. We arrive Monday Dec. 15th and depart on That Thur evening. We were just there in August for my dance studio's performance (what a thrill to have my granddaughter dancing in Disneyland) but we decided we needed to come back to soak up the great Christmas atmosphere.

We usually stay at the Candy Cane Inn but this time we are splurging and have reservations at the Disneyland Hotel. :yay: Last time I was there I stayed in the bungalows in the back forty. My TA has requested the Adventure tower, I have Club level and I know the lounge is in that building. Hope we get it.

Checked the weather reports and it looks like rain on Tue & Wed but we're from the NW and we should cope fine. The only thing I'm worried about is that I will be using an ECV and don't know how they work in the rain. Any feedback about that would be great.

Will post during our trip, need to figure out how to get pictures up for a trip report.

belle'ssister --

Welcome! :welcome:

Thank you for joining us. Also, thank you for the kind words -- I hope your trip next week is amazing. I can't blame you for staying at the Disneyland Hotel. I am a big fan of staying onsite anyway, but during the holiday season there is something extra magical about staying in one of the Disney hotels. I can't explain it.

Hopefully someone can address the issue of the ECV in the rain -- if Escape2Disney/Carrie reports in to this thread, she may have the answer.

Do you have a Photobucket account? If so, you can upload your photos there and then copy the IMG code that will be near or under the photo and paste it right here when you post. The photos will appear.

I look forward to your reports!

More to come.

Kristan --

I'm so happy for you that you're finally there, and having a wonderful time! The Winter Castle at night is, indeed, an awe-inspiring sight! And how awesome that you got upgraded at the DLH! Have a fantastic trip, and I can't wait for your report!

I've had those "I feel like crying" moments at DLR in the past, when I have arrived at DLR after a rough year or rough patch of life, and all I wanted was to see the gorgeous tree in the GCH lobby, or to see Main Street decorated for the holidays. I remember 2009 being one of those years -- I was about to cry at the sight of the GCH tree when I entered the GCH lobby. And in 2011 I was so glad to be in the Paradise Per Hotel lobby that when I saw the blue-green tree I felt like dancing and singing.

I think that a lot of people who merely look at DLR as a fun place to go don't really realize how happy it can make people, and emotional it can make people! Many of us feel very connected to the parks, and DLR is far, far, far more than just a place to go to have some fun -- although there is a lot of fun to be had!

So glad you are having a great time! We'll be there in 11 days....hard to believe! ENJOY!

Cindy --

Your trip is one that I feel very invested in, as I know it comes on the heels of some difficult times for your family earlier in the year -- and I know you want it to be extra special and amazing for Christmas. :grouphug: I hope you have the best trip ever, and I can't wait to hear about it when you return. Although... 11 days still seems far away!

pixiedust:pixiedust:

Part of my family is down at DLR this week and they were saying that the holiday merchandise is starting to get thin. Some of the stuff that I saw in mid-November is no longer available. So, if folks see things they like, I'd recommend picking it up sooner rather than later! I remember this happening last year as well. I was down at DLR the second weekend in December and at the start of the trip (Thur) there were still all sizes available for the 2013 holiday t-shirt, but by Sunday, they were out of larges and XLs. So, it looks like stuff isn't necessarily lasting longer this year!

Cindy --

Your trip is one that I feel very invested in, as I know it comes on the heels of some difficult times for your family earlier in the year -- and I know you want it to be extra special and amazing for Christmas. :grouphug: I hope you have the best trip ever, and I can't wait to hear about it when you return. Although... 11 days still seems far away!

pixiedust:pixiedust:

It DOES seem far away....and yet not! I am so excited to see the delight on my girl's faces when the extra things that my Mom and I have arranged come to light. I think it's going to turn my 19 year old into a little girl again...at least for 5 days. LOL

I know that I am more than ready to get away and go somewhere magical...even if it IS the most crowded time of the year at DL. :santa:

I am so excited to join you all on Saturday... Thank you for all the wonderful information!
I am paying close attention for updates about the GCH, Holiday Time tour, BB Fantasmic package and the WEATHER.

I'm happy to share news and updates. We will be there from Saturday 12/13 -Wednesday, 12/17.

I just had to pop back in for a hot second and utter these 4 words.

Churro. Ice. Cream. Sandwiches.:idea: :confused:

Yes, that's right -- run, don't walk, to the California Churro Cart in Downtown Disney and get their Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches!!!

Behold the sweetness -- HERE.

I mean... that is just too decadent for words. I love a good ice cream sandwich, and this is a unique spin on it! It may be too sugary for me. How long have these churro ice cream sandwiches been happening? How have they escaped me?

Someone try one and let us know if it's good -- or if it is tooooooo rich/sweet/decadent!

:banana::banana::banana:

Welcome, thewelts!!! :welcome::wave:! I'm glad to see that you've joined us!

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

I can't speak to the Holiday in the Park at Magic Mountain, since it's bigger than Discovery Kingdom, but the one the past 5 or so years at Discovery Kingdom has been worthless (IMO). They do put a HUGE tree, but with just lights, no ornaments if I recall correctly. Besides the snow hill, it's all kind of lackluster. But maybe that's because I'm so in love with Disneyland during the holidays?

We got hit by a huge storm up here in NorCal and schools are closed, roads are flooded and it's generally a mess. Nice to have the lazy day with the family, but puts in a kink in the million things I need to get done between now & Christmas! I think it's moving south, so hopefully it doesn't hit any upcoming Disney trips too hard.

So excited to try one of those churro ice cream sandwiches!

Has anyone noticed that the later Christmas Fantasy parade time has changed? It was originally scheduled at 5:30 and now it begins at 5:45.

We are planning to do the 2:55 Holiday Time tour on Sunday. Luckily we were able to change our dinner reservation from 6:30 to 7.

I'm concerned because we have a 6 PM reservation for the BB Fantasmic package on Monday. We are going to have a heck of a time getting through the parade traffic.

I just spent a bit of time with a really nice CM at Disney Dining. He was helpful with recommendations like "walk through the shops". He thought it might actually be better to move up on the right side of Main Street and attempt to cross. Not sure? We will make a game time decision on that one and ask lots of CMs.

I'm concerned because we have a 6 PM reservation for the BB Fantasmic package on Monday. We are going to have a heck of a time getting through the parade traffic.
Are you coming in to DLR for the dining reservation (hence the need to walk up Main Street)? Parade crowds can be big, but in the end, it's not all that bad to navigate through them. The CMs do a pretty good job of making sure traffic continues to flow. I haven't ever encountered a time when traffic was completely stopped for any length of time on Main Street during a parade. It can slow down, but in the end, it usually only adds a few minutes to your travel. I wouldn't be to worried about it...

The shops can be a good idea, unless you have a stroller (may actually be harder to navigate) or small children that will stop at every display! :rotfl: I cut through the shops frequently, but I like to shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter