Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commenting to subscribe. :) Love these threads. I'm ready to go to DLR for the holidays NOW and we have a year to wait!!

Lots of votes for Santa at Elias & Co. and for the life of me I'm drawing a blank....where is this in the parks?

Just like that we are now on the 5th Superthread.

Bret --

Yeah. I would have preferred to just let the previous thread run through the end of the holidays -- and if we only had a few days left of the season I would have done that, even if it went to page 251 or 252 or something. But we have another 4 weeks until the season ends, and the whole Frozen Fun event is sneak peeking on December 20th (if not a media soft launch before that), which will probably generate some chat. The former thread could have jumped another 25 pages between now and early January, so I figured I might as well move us over to a new thread.

Fortunately, I had everything set up on page 1 of the previous thread, and all I had to do was to literally copy and paste everything from one thread to another. I had to reserve a couple of extra posts on page 1 -- which I can fill with photos in the meantime, but are really there in case a sudden Christmas party pops up (or some other new holiday thing for the 60th anniversary), which would deserve its own post!

The real thorn in my side is when the New Year begins and I have to comb through the posts on page 1 to change everything from "2014" to "2015" -- or simply revise/edit my text to say that I don't have the 2015 information yet!

Lots of votes for Santa at Elias & Co. and for the life of me I'm drawing a blank....where is this in the parks?

On Buena Vista Street.

It's the main shop in DCA. As you enter the park, Elias & Co is the big shop on the left. It's made up of multiple rooms and Santa is in the last room (closest to the entrance to Hollywood Land.)

Bret --

Yeah. I would have preferred to just let the previous thread run through the end of the holidays -- and if we only had a few days left of the season I would have done that, even if it went to page 251 or 252 or something. But we have another 4 weeks until the season ends, and the whole Frozen Fun event is sneak peeking on December 20th (if not a media soft launch before that), which will probably generate some chat. The former thread could have jumped another 25 pages between now and early January, so I figured I might as well move us over to a new thread.

Fortunately, I had everything set up on page 1 of the previous thread, and all I had to do was to literally copy and paste everything from one thread to another. I had to reserve a couple of extra posts on page 1 -- which I can fill with photos in the meantime, but are really there in case a sudden Christmas party pops up (or some other new holiday thing for the 60th anniversary), which would deserve its own post!

The real thorn in my side is when the New Year begins and I have to comb through the posts on page 1 to change everything from "2014" to "2015" -- or simply revise/edit my text to say that I don't have the 2015 information yet!

Definitely. It would have been nice if the Superthread #4 still kept going till the end of the holidays especially with the talks about the Frozen Fun event. After reading all about it these last couple of days, I will have to see it sometimes these next few months. It would have been nice to see the sneak peek on December 20th. I remember the last three threads that you have started were in mid December and last years was on New Years day.

You always come prepare when starting up the new Superthreads. I saw that you were up very late last night while starting the new Superthread.

I got my D23 Magazine yesterday (Winter 2014 edition) and was reading it and I looked at the title "It's Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas" which easily caught my mine and it talked about the holiday season at Disneyland. This article you will like if you have the magazine if not I would consider getting it.

Definitely. It would have been nice if the Superthread #4 still kept going till the end of the holidays especially with the talks about the Frozen Fun event. After reading all about it these last couple of days, I will have to see it sometimes these next few months. It would have been nice to see the sneak peek on December 20th. I remember the last three threads that you have started were in mid December and last years was on New Years day.

You always come prepare when starting up the new Superthreads. I saw that you were up very late last night while starting the new Superthread.

I got my D23 Magazine yesterday (Winter 2014 edition) and was reading it and I looked at the title "It's Beginning to Look A Lot like Christmas" which easily caught my mine and it talked about the holiday season at Disneyland. This article you will like if you have the magazine if not I would consider getting it.

Bret --

:rotfl2: Yes. Whenever I start these new Superthreads (Halloween Time or Christmas/Holidays), I have to do it either late, late at night or reallllllllly early in the morning (before anyone is really awake and on The DIS). If I start them in the middle of the day or early evening, then inevitably someone will see that a new thread has popped up and claim one of the spots that I need to keep open on page 1. There is no way to keep the thread closed for comments while I add posts to it -- it has to be an open thread for me to claim the spots on page 1.

In the case of the previous thread, I hadn't thought it through and realized that it would be good to keep all the posts on page 1 available for various additions, and for me to be able to have space to move things around and divide them up if I need to. So now I have those extra couple of posts handy on page 1, and I can add info to them if something major pops up.

I don't get the actual D23 magazine. I get emails from them, but at the lowest member status. I don't get all the perks because I have the free membership, but I do get access to some of the online content (like the video of Candlelight, etc.). I'm sure I would enjoy the articles or bits about Disneyland! If it involves Disneyland Resort and the Holiday Season, it's a winner!

bret --

:rotfl2: Yes. Whenever i start these new superthreads (halloween time or christmas/holidays), i have to do it either late, late at night or reallllly early in the morning (before anyone is really awake and on the dis). If i start them in the middle of the day or early evening, then inevitably someone will see that a new thread has popped up and claim one of the spots that i need to keep open on page 1. There is no way to keep the thread closed for comments while i add posts to it -- it has to be an open thread for me to claim the spots on page 1.

In the case of the previous thread, i hadn't thought it through and realized that it would be good to keep all the posts on page 1 available for various additions, and for me to be able to have space to move things around and divide them up if i need to. So now i have those extra couple of posts handy on page 1, and i can add info to them if something major pops up.

I don't get the actual d23 magazine. I get emails from them, but at the lowest member status. I don't get all the perks because i have the free membership, but i do get access to some of the online content (like the video of candlelight, etc.). I'm sure i would enjoy the articles or bits about disneyland! If it involves disneyland resort and the holiday season, it's a winner!

That does make sense since you will have the whole first page to posts the different info. Now that you have all the whole first page on the Superthread, you are able to put links to all the different posts and you won't have to crowd everything on one post.

You will want to read that article. The one part of the article that I enjoyed reading was the crew that works on the Christmas decorations year round.

That does make sense since you will have the whole first page to posts the different info. Now that you have all the whole first page on the Superthread, you are able to put links to all the different posts and you won't have to crowd everything on one post.

You will want to read that article. The one part of the article that I enjoyed reading was the crew that works on the Christmas decorations year round.

Bret --

I can imagine that a lot of the decorations and ideas for the holiday season have to be planned and set in stone very early in the year, and then worked on all year long. There must be constant creative meetings going on behind the scenes at DLR, as they have to have everything mapped out way in advance so that things can be built, supplies can be ordered, etc.

That's why I always find it funny when some people think that DLR should wait to put up holiday decorations until Halloween Time is completely over, or even wait until after Thanksgiving!:rotfl2: It's not possible to wait unless DLR shortens the length of the holiday season -- and why on earth would they do that?!

Anyone who has seen the level of detail and work that goes into setting DLR up for the holidays knows that it is a massive undertaking. The horticulture has to be planned. Every Christmas tree and every window display has to be just right and theme-appropriate. Every strand of lights and garland has to be artfully hung. Every bit of entertainment has to be rehearsed and ready to go. The ride overlays have to be installed and then tested to be sure they are working properly. The designs for the holiday merchandise and the seasonal menus and food items have to be mapped out way in advance.

There's no way DLR could get away with starting after Halloween Time ends -- or after Thanksgiving!!!!!!! -- to begin the holiday transformation. And there is a lot of pre-planning and pre-construction work that has to be done all year long, to get ready for it.

I really only have two available posts on page 1 that I can work with (that aren't being held for something predetermined/pre-planned). I didn't want to spill over on to page 2 and block even more posts. It's best and easiest to keep everything on page 1.

One of the available posts has to stay free/empty for a while -- or I can put photos in it, which can then be taken out later -- in case there is a Christmas party or some special new holiday event for the 60th (it was during the year of the 50th anniversary that DL decided to restart the Halloween party, so I wonder if they will decide to launch a Christmas party this year -- maybe using Frozen Fun as the focus/selling point?).

The other available post is one that I could do a few different things with -- I have several ideas of what I want to use it for, but I can only choose one. I can't do all of them in the same post. so I have to use that one free post wisely!

Bret --

I can imagine that a lot of the decorations and ideas for the holiday season have to be planned and set in stone very early in the year, and then worked on all year long. There must be constant creative meetings going on behind the scenes at DLR, as they have to have everything mapped out way in advance so that things can be built, supplies can be ordered, etc.

That's why I always find it funny when some people think that DLR should wait to put up holiday decorations until Halloween Time is completely over, or even wait until after Thanksgiving!:rotfl2: It's not possible to wait unless DLR shortens the length of the holiday season -- and why on earth would they do that?!

Anyone who has seen the level of detail and work that goes into setting DLR up for the holidays knows that it is a massive undertaking. The horticulture has to be planned. Every Christmas tree and every window display has to be just right and theme-appropriate. Every strand of lights and garland has to be artfully hung. Every bit of entertainment has to be rehearsed and ready to go. The ride overlays have to be installed and then tested to be sure they are working properly. The designs for the holiday merchandise and the seasonal menus and food items have to be mapped out way in advance.

There's no way DLR could get away with starting after Halloween Time ends -- or after Thanksgiving!!!!!!! -- to begin the holiday transformation. And there is a lot of pre-planning and pre-construction work that has to be done all year long, to get ready for it.!

There is no question that a lot of the decorations and ideas for the holiday season has to be year round. From what I have read on the article, the warehouse that they do all the holiday decorations year round is not on property but a mile away from the DLR. That was interesting to read that it wasn't on property but somewhere off property.

It is not possible to put all the decorations up in less than a week or two after the Halloween season. This is why the DLR puts decorations for the holiday season during the end of Halloween season. For example, SB Castle got its snow on the castle during the last week of Halloween, New Orleans Square got some of its decorations up during the last week of Halloween as well, etc. I have seen it first hand where there are decorations already up in certain lands and also the stores have the holiday merchandise as well.

I am always impressed every year with all the little details that Disney does with it's holiday decorations from the trees, wreaths, window display, garlands, etc. It is sad that Disney takes out decorations that we are so use to seeing in the past (strand of lights over the alley). This what makes coming to the DLR every year a must for any Disney park fan.

Wow! On to a new thread :)

Posting so I can subscribe...

And counting down the days to our trip...in 10 more days I will BE at Disneyland!

Hi Sherry, I have a question about snow and Main Street - when does it snow? After the fireworks, I believe, but is there also an earlier "snowing"?

Welcome, friends, newcomers and all holiday season peeps from the previous Superthreads! :wave:

:santa::santa:

Hi Sherry, I have a question about snow and Main Street - when does it snow? After the fireworks, I believe, but is there also an earlier "snowing"?

Welcome, pinksand!:cheer2:

Yes, the snow falls before and after fireworks.

There is actually a pretty good explanation of when the snow falls on The DIS/wdwinfo.com -- it can be found HERE, in the paragraphs right under "Disneyland Park."

Bret/mvf-m11c, figment_jii and Jenasweetemotion (if she finds her way over here to us!) can probably answer a bit better as to when the earlier snow falls. I seem to just catch it when it happens -- either on Main Street or by IASWH -- but I rarely pay attention to the time, and how soon before the fireworks the snow falls, etc.

:santa::santa:

As Sherry mentioned, snow falls on Main Street (and maybe other locations) at multiple times during the evening. It falls after fireworks and at the end of the "Wintertime Enchantment Holiday Lighting" ceremony. I can't remember the times of the ceremony, but Touring Plans has a schedule. I'll look on my Times Guides when I get home to see if has any information.
http://touringplans.com/disneyland/attractions/wintertime-enchantment-holiday-lighting

Thanks very much Sherry and Figment! That information is just what I needed! :thumbsup2

One more question - is there a schedule for the Dickensian carolers? I've seen them in the GCH in years past and they are outstanding. I think they carol through all the hotels and maybe the park too, but I can't find a schedule.

Thank you, Corinna!:goodvibes And welcome!:wave:

:cheer2::cheer2:

Thanks very much Sherry and Figment! That information is just what I needed! :thumbsup2

One more question - is there a schedule for the Dickensian carolers? I've seen them in the GCH in years past and they are outstanding. I think they carol through all the hotels and maybe the park too, but I can't find a schedule.

pinksand --

You know, it's funny you should ask about the schedule for the carolers. Sometime within the last few days I was searching around online for some bit of information that I didn't have, and in the process of my searching and reading I unintentionally stumbled upon a site that had a brief mention of the carolers' schedule in at least one of their locations. I can't recall if it was a recent comment/post/article or an older one (because it wasn't what I was looking for at that moment), and I can't figure out if I saved it to my Favorites or if I somehow lost it in cyberspace. In any case, there was some sort of a loose schedule for the carolers, for at least one of the hotels!

The carolers perform at all 3 hotels, and in Downtown Disney on select dates. I don't think they are still in Disneyland Park anymore -- though I could be wrong on that. They used to be in Disneyland.

The Bell Ringers are on Buena Vista Street in California Adventure, and they are wonderful! I've seen the Bell Ringers in the early afternoon quite often.

When I've seen carolers at the GCH, they have either been right in front of the giant Christmas tree in the lobby, or they have been stationed along the main hallway that leads past the restroom, past the conference room/ballroom and out of the lobby. I've seen them as late as 7:30 or 8:00-ish at night, and I think I also saw them in maybe the 5:30-ish or 6 p.m. range.

I've seen the carolers in the PPH lobby in the morning, but others have seen them in the afternoon.

Usually, if Santa is greeting guests in front of the tree at the GCH or PPH, the carolers won't be in front of the tree too. They seem to take turns. But the GCH carolers (I think there are two sets of them) may be down that that hallway I mentioned. I know it sounds silly, but I think that the Grand Californian Hotel "Hallway Carolers" are a different group than the Grand Californian "Tree Carolers"!!:rotfl2: They have different outfits too!

I have not seen any carolers at the Disneyland Hotel, but Jamie/DisneyJamieCA saw them last year, near the fake gingerbread Castle in the Fantasy Tower.

I would imagine that, since more and more people are beginning to ask for Santa's hotel schedules -- and those schedules are usually printed up and set out on a front desk somewhere at each hotel -- there are also probably people asking about the hotel carolers' schedules. If anyone ever finds out what the hotel schedules are for the carolers, I will add them to the Hotels post on page 1.

I have asked the Reservations Cast Members in the past if they knew the carolers' schedules at the hotels, and they didn't know -- but they said that the actual hotel staffs would know.

Hi Sherry, I am ever so grateful for all the hard work you put into the superthreads.:worship: I love reading them and posting when I can. Just came back yesterday from my DLR trip. I had so much fun. Sadly, I wish the only snow I ever had to see was Christmastime at DLR. Just not fond of the real thing, especially after the last few winters we've had on the east coast. Maybe you will do a superthread for the 60th anniversary. Just looking ahead a little, but already planning for the next trip.:guilty:

We really loved the dancing Olaf magic shot inside the entrance at DL. The photopass CM said they just started it. It was a lot of fun posing for all those pictures. Still jet lagged, so I haven't had a chance to look at all the pictures.

Wow Sherry! You are Amazing, and a Humble leader of all things Christmas!!
Thank You for all of your time and patience with us!

:flower3:

--Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter