• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Also, for a while at least, parties should be given their own cabin and not have to share. A big part of what upset people in this situation was being "trapped with strangers", so eliminating that as a factor should also help restore guest confidence. (I know it would lower the load factor, but right now that is a minor issue.)

YES!!!! :D Totally agree!!

*shortened and bolded by me*

I'm getting different stories from different media outlets so I'm going to try to sum it up

Only one gondola was evacuated, with 6 people inside being taken out. It is reported that after the first cabin was evacuated the line stated up.

3 people were taken to the hospital by Reedy Creek. At least one of them was due to the skyliner incident.

The one individual taken due to the incident has been released. Further details are unknown.

RCID communications manager, Eryka Washington, has denied claims that the RCFD utilized most of their staff that night.

Touring helicopter or small plane goes out of control flies into Disney airspace into the woods and right into the cable taking the entire line down. God please let that never happen, but a plan for something like that has to be in place.
This has actually happened before in Italy.

And gondola doors are periodically forced open by somebody looking to film a stunt. Many aren’t actually all that hard to force open. Not certain of this system though as this is a new design.

The gondolas were running from the Epcot station today. Not open to the public but running. This was around 5 when we left the boardwalk to come back to beach club. My wife noted how fast they were going so I stopped and watched for a second and they did look like they were traveling much faster than before.

I had an interesting conversation with my DVC Guide today. They called to ask if I was still interested in Riveria (I am), but I mentioned that I was a bit concerned about the Skyliner after the accident. She was quick to point out that it wasn't an accident, but an incident or something, and it wasn't a big deal at all. I get having to tow the company line in these kinds of situations, but in my view, when vehicles crash into one another, that's an accident. The accident happening at the Riveria Station doesn't help matters either. I was hoping to get to ride the Skyliner and see the Riveria in person when I visit in about a week, but that doesn't look like it's going to be an option.

Riveria... Why do you make it so hard for me to love you?

My wife's co-worker was evacuated from one. Everyone was compensated for their troubles

The gondolas were running from the Epcot station today. Not open to the public but running. This was around 5 when we left the boardwalk to come back to beach club. My wife noted how fast they were going so I stopped and watched for a second and they did look like they were traveling much faster than before.
They were running all day today. I agree about the speed. And they were running a lot of gondola cars. Much faster and the cars appeared closer together than I noticed during the day on Saturday.

Last edited:
I'm getting different stories from different media outlets so I'm going to try to sum it up

Only one gondola was evacuated, with 6 people inside being taken out. It is reported that after the first cabin was evacuated the line stated up.

3 people were taken to the hospital by Reedy Creek. At least one of them was due to the skyliner incident.

The one individual taken due to the incident has been released. Further details are unknown.

RCID communications manager, Eryka Washington, has denied claims that the RCFD utilized most of their staff that night.
That’s even worse if it took that long to evacuate 1 car

How much do you want to bet that before they are done with that stress testing, they will wrap a few cabins in a heavy-duty equivalent of bubble wrap and try to re-create that "crush line" at Riviera -- in order to figure out not just exactly what caused it, but how to anticipate/recognize those conditions & determine what it takes to stop that situation properly.

The record books of engineering disasters are full of things that were thought to be impossible. I think that due to Disney's uniquely valuable reputation, they will be wise to plan/prepare for more of those "almost impossible" scenarios than the average company would.

I had an interesting conversation with my DVC Guide today. They called to ask if I was still interested in Riveria (I am), but I mentioned that I was a bit concerned about the Skyliner after the accident. She was quick to point out that it wasn't an accident, but an incident or something, and it wasn't a big deal at all. I get having to tow the company line in these kinds of situations, but in my view, when vehicles crash into one another, that's an accident. The accident happening at the Riveria Station doesn't help matters either. I was hoping to get to ride the Skyliner and see the Riveria in person when I visit in about a week, but that doesn't look like it's going to be an option.

Riveria... Why do you make it so hard for me to love you?
In the aviation world, this event would be called an incident since there were no "serious" injuries and no "substantial" damage to the system.

However, I agree with you, towing the company line on the distinction is ridiculous.

Sounds like a possible attempt to stress test the system by running it in higher then normal conditions.
Yes. Stress testing is a very normal part of testing. I'm not sure if they did this intense of stress testing in the past but sounds like they're doing it now.
How much do you want to bet that before they are done with that stress testing, they will wrap a few cabins in a heavy-duty equivalent of bubble wrap and try to re-create that "crush line" at Riviera -- in order to figure out not just exactly what caused it, but how to anticipate/recognize those conditions & determine what it takes to stop that situation properly.

The record books of engineering disasters are full of things that were thought to be impossible. I think that due to Disney's uniquely valuable reputation, they will be wise to plan/prepare for more of those "almost impossible" scenarios than the average company would.
As a computer tester, my coworkers and I can test every scenario we possibly think can happen yet we also know that within hours of the system going live, someone will do something none of us even thought of and it will need to be retested. 🤪

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter