Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Here's a list of just a few cases (only goes to 2009) of gondolas, chairs etc... coming off their cable, crashing, and injuring/killing people. Oh yes, and also of a plane crashing into a gondola line, severing the cable, causing the cars to crash - one of the speculated scenarios I believe you said impossible.

https://alp-age.com/en/articles/51/326/

If you can google this well, you might find the answer you are looking for.

After looking again at the video of them putting the teal gondola back in place..it looks more like it was attached to the line pretty tight. So it may have been that the yellow cars were started in the station while the main line was not.
When it was pushed up and sideways is probably when one of the vent windows broke.
You can see the workers up above the gondola's with flashlights during the process.
Do you have a link to the video by chance?

That was during the testing phase where they ran them in both directions. All the streams and vlogs show only clockwise.
I’m very confused. Look at the image in that tweet. You can see the teal cabin that was impacted. That’s where cabins arrive into the station on their way to Epcot.

Do you have a link to the video by chance?
Yes but it's from WDWNT and I tried to post it but they are not allowed here.
Just google "gondola crash rivera station" and it will come up ..it's about 12 minutes and in the first few seconds it shows them putting the teal gondola back in place.

Might be a good time to move on from speculating on the millions of issues that could occur. That can happen with any form of transportation. Millions still ride plans, trains, and automobiles yet they all have issues on a daily basis for the most part.
Thank you! This was also all I was asking.

I'm confident that the problem that caused this will be fixed and I just hope it is running when I get there in 18 days :)

I often travel for work, and when I do, I don't get time for the dis.........and of course something like this happens while I'm away.

It's pretty interesting.
I think we have some procedural stuff that Disney will learn from on this.
Mechanically what happened isn't earth shattering. I think you'll find it re-opened quite soon. That line is quite complex, so you have some have some pretty rare conditions for a gondola company, so some learning will happen there as well.

PR wise, not a real good start obviously.

Are the other lines operating currently? Did the POP line resolve it's issue that it had in the first few days?

up thread, someone mentioned the speed change in station. That's fairly normal, but I would think a turn load station might be on the extreme end of that.

I'd say the base problem is similar to what is encountered in ski country when heavy icing occurs, slowing the haul rope down is often warranted in those conditions. So I'm not surprised that speed of the system might be part of the stress testing going on. Certainly alignment is part of the puzzle as well.

I often travel for work, and when I do, I don't get time for the dis.........and of course something like this happens while I'm away.

It's pretty interesting.
I think we have some procedural stuff that Disney will learn from on this.
Mechanically what happened isn't earth shattering. I think you'll find it re-opened quite soon. That line is quite complex, so you have some have some pretty rare conditions for a gondola company, so some learning will happen there as well.

PR wise, not a real good start obviously.

Are the other lines operating currently? Did the POP line resolve it's issue that it had in the first few days?

up thread, someone mentioned the speed change in station. That's fairly normal, but I would think a turn load station might be on the extreme end of that.

I'd say the base problem is similar to what is encountered in ski country when heavy icing occurs, slowing the haul rope down is often warranted in those conditions. So I'm not surprised that speed of the system might be part of the stress testing going on. Certainly alignment is part of the puzzle as well.
No lines are currently open. Pop did reopen as normal after it’s issue.

Actually the crash of cars doesn’t bother me as much as the 3 1/2 hours people Were stuck in there cars. That the RCFD did not make much of a dent in evacuation of the people. Disney was lucky that it happen after dark so no sun. That it could of been much worst if it was mid day summer, No AC. And six to seven hours for total evacuation. You could of had people died in the cars because of the heat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter