Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

When there were children in our family, we always lived by the maxim that you visit Disney so that the adults outnumber the children, enlisting siblings, cousins, etc., to go-with if necessary.
You know there are single parents out there, though, right?
Absolutely. However, there are very few single parents without siblings, without cousins, without aunts/uncles/grandparents, and without friends; those who cannot enlist anyone to accompany them on the trip are invariably going to face more difficulties than those who do, and not just with regard to strollers on the Skyliner.

Easier said than done on many people's budgets.
That's true of visiting WDW - period.

Our rule was always no strollers. So our kids didn't go until they were 5. That was a birthday gift from the grandparents who took them. My daughter went without us, my twins we went to help since my parents were a bit older and twin boys are different than a single girl!

We spent the entire 4th year of their lives working up to it. It became a huge theme. Start with small walks around the neighborhood, then hikes, trips to the mall, then zoo trips, etc. By the middle of their 4th year, it was a point of pride not to need a stroller for the kids and by the time that 5th birthday trip rolled around we hadn't used the strollers in a couple months and the kids had forgotten all about them. In addition, we started them mid year with small back packs. Then added a water bottle and some snacks to it, eventually a roll of quarters and pennies for the machines. Those packs were 5 lbs or a bit more, and the kids trucked them around all day at the parks.

We are fortunate that none of our three are special needs, so I understand this doesn't work for everyone. It also worked because we didn't try to bring sub-5 with 5s, so it definitely limited Disney for a few years. But it certainly is one strategy that I recommend when people ask. Not having a stroller at Disney is fantastic. Stroller parking, buses, crowded walkways, narrow shops, and now the Skyliner for doubles... uggh. No thanks... but more power to those of you that manage it!

Our rule was always no strollers. So our kids didn't go until they were 5. That was a birthday gift from the grandparents who took them. My daughter went without us, my twins we went to help since my parents were a bit older and twin boys are different than a single girl!

We spent the entire 4th year of their lives working up to it. It became a huge theme. Start with small walks around the neighborhood, then hikes, trips to the mall, then zoo trips, etc. By the middle of their 4th year, it was a point of pride not to need a stroller for the kids and by the time that 5th birthday trip rolled around we hadn't used the strollers in a couple months and the kids had forgotten all about them. In addition, we started them mid year with small back packs. Then added a water bottle and some snacks to it, eventually a roll of quarters and pennies for the machines. Those packs were 5 lbs or a bit more, and the kids trucked them around all day at the parks.

We are fortunate that none of our three are special needs, so I understand this doesn't work for everyone. It also worked because we didn't try to bring sub-5 with 5s, so it definitely limited Disney for a few years. But it certainly is one strategy that I recommend when people ask. Not having a stroller at Disney is fantastic. Stroller parking, buses, crowded walkways, narrow shops, and now the Skyliner for doubles... uggh. No thanks... but more power to those of you that manage it!

We have always taken strollers - if we waited until our youngest was 5 then this year would be our first ever trip for our 10 year old since our youngest just turned 5 so we just figured something we had to do

That said we just did a no-kids trip and it confirmed our thought to not use a stroller next trip just as it was sooooo much easier, even if my youngest might still prefer to have one

We have always taken strollers - if we waited until our youngest was 5 then this year would be our first ever trip for our 10 year old since our youngest just turned 5 so we just figured something we had to do

That said we just did a no-kids trip and it confirmed our thought to not use a stroller next trip just as it was sooooo much easier, even if my youngest might still prefer to have one

On our first stroller free trip I missed having the storage more than anything. DS could have gone stroller free much earlier but a cooler full of drinks instead of $4 each from Disney was great. Not to mention somewhere to house any purchases that were made was nice also. I will never not miss that cooler :)

On our first stroller free trip I missed having the storage more than anything. DS could have gone stroller free much earlier but a cooler full of drinks instead of $4 each from Disney was great. Not to mention somewhere to house any purchases that were made was nice also. I will never not miss that cooler :)

Can always bring a cooler backpack, right? No stroller necessary ;)

First trip without a stroller was amazing. It wasn't without pitfalls, but it sure was nice.
Also the first childless trip was pretty cool. Fealty super guilty, but it was a good trip.

Ooh, is it possible to get on the Skyliner at Epcot, and just ride all the wy round back to your start point?
Or is it actually fun to go have a look at one of the resorts it stops at?

Ooh, is it possible to get on the Skyliner at Epcot, and just ride all the wy round back to your start point?
Or is it actually fun to go have a look at one of the resorts it stops at?
No you get on at Epcot and have to get off at CBR.

You can definitely get off and visit the resorts on the line though.

Thank you! I've never been to any of those resorts, so, I will take the chance to check them out!

We have not been to CBR. Is the 'hub' of the resort within walking distance of the Skyliner or would we need to take an internal bus?

We used strollers for our first 2 trips. DD was 4 and 6. She was a sleeper so it helped us to be able to stay in the parks longer. Each day when she got tired she would get in the stroller and take a nap. DS and DH would then ride the rides that the two of us either wouldn't or she was not tall enough for yet. It also helped with DS who was only 16 months older. When we needed to get to another part of the park quickly (fastpass time) it was quicker to have both in a stroller.

I was nervous the first time we didn't have the strollers. DH refused to get one on our 3rd trip. They were plenty old enough to walk but DD worried me because she hated every bit of walking. We warned her a head of time and she was fine. It was so nice not having the stroller. I am still waiting on my no kids trip. I can't wait until we can go without them.

We have not been to CBR. Is the 'hub' of the resort within walking distance of the Skyliner or would we need to take an internal bus?
That depends on you a little bit.
If you are the type that walks from boardwalk to DHS, then yes it's in walking distance(It's not that far).
The resort it spread out, but the core of it has an island and then the main shop area.
If you ride skyliner there from Epcot, you can see the walk you are in for. You'll basically retrace your steps from the CBR station up the skyliner to the bridge across the little island. It's about a 0.25 mile walk to the little island and 0.30 to the shops.
That's about the same as going from the gate of epcot to the closest part of the world showcase.

Two rides this week. Overall super fun addition.

Did a quick Epcot to CBR and back at 8:10, back for fireworks about 8:35 so plenty of time. Fun at night.

Couple days ago got stopped for about 5 min just b4 CBR and it did get pretty sticky at ground level.

The unwrapped cabins are much harder to see out IMO.

Last edited:

We just got back from a no kids trip and practically danced past all the stroller parking areas 😂. Walking right into the Land without detouring to that lot between it and The Seas might have made my whole trip.

Two rides this week. Overall super fun addition.

Did a quick Epcot to CBR and back at 8:10, back for fireworks about 8:35 so plenty of time. Fun at night.

Couple days ago got stopped for about 5 min just b4 CBR and it did get pretty sticky at ground level.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this.

The unwrapped cabins are much harder to see out IMO.
Interesting, I've heard the opposite most times so I guess each person sees things differently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter