Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

It might depend on how busy they are. If no one is waiting they may not require double strollers to be folded because if a party is slow they can just have them take the next gondola. If it’s busier they won’t want the delays that a double stroller can cause.

The standard was giving a maximum size size allowed, which they did, that was the whole point of that. However they appear to be not following it, or doing it at each CMs whim. I do concede, though, that the accident is likely changing things and will have to settle before we know the final standard. My point is that varying with each ride is not acceptable. There is nothing I can do about it, if that turns out to be the case, but it’s a ridiculous method and will lead to way more guest dissatisfaction and arguments than having a clear rule. Even if I (or others, and there’s no way to please everyone) disagree with the rule.

I haven't ridden it yet, so this is an observation, but what appears to have happened is that WDW published a roll-on standard based on the size of the door clearance, but in practice discovered out that the avg. guest pushing a double was not able to hit the moving target of the open doors without causing an e-stop. (They based a lot of their plans on the optimal load speed that Doppelmayr predicted based on similar working ropelines, but in practice, those estimates appear to be unrealistically high for the WDW visitor population.)

Has anyone tried to use the ADA queue with a double? That should work fine as a roll-on, but again, it is probably an issue of keeping traffic moving. Reports have implied that lines seem to build up rather quickly on the ADA ramp when it is even moderately busy; so it would not surprise me if , for traffic control reasons, CM's were instructed to try to keep strollers out of those cars by whatever means necessary -- which appears to necessitate requiring the doubles to be folded to minimize the number of e-stops.

I think that once Disney has accumulated enough load data to be able to create real-world traffic tables based on real guests, they will decide whether or not to change the rule. It will probably take at least a month, and probably 3, of uninterrupted service to compile enough data to get reliable numbers. In the meanwhile, they may even try to have guests at some stations fold and others walk on, as a control to see what happens to the load speed.

Last edited:
My understanding is they are requiring double strollers to be folded when loading from the main queue. I’m not sure if initially they were allowed to roll on, or if it’s been since the incident that had Skyliner shut down for a week. Some doubles are very close to the door opening width, and some wider. I believe someone reported a sign about the double strollers but I’d have to search for it.

Enjoy your vacation!

Just bring to small umbrella strollers... problem solved
That would have been my worst nightmare! An umbrella stroller is great until about 25lbs but then after that they're a disaster to push, cannot recline, have no space for storage, have low handles to push, fall backwards the moment the child gets out if there's anything on the handle...

LOL - guess you know how I feel about those at Disney. They work other places but would never have worked for us there!

That would have been my worst nightmare! An umbrella stroller is great until about 25lbs but then after that they're a disaster to push, cannot recline, have no space for storage, have low handles to push, fall backwards the moment the child gets out if there's anything on the handle...

LOL - guess you know how I feel about those at Disney. They work other places but would never have worked for us there!

There are plenty of umbrella strollers that will accommodate bigger kids and allow taller people to push the stroller

Just bring two small umbrella strollers... problem solved

We've done it both ways - with one double stroller (and at times, said stroller with the attachment for the car seat so we could fit all three kids on it) or with 2 smaller strollers. Found it depends on the # of adults in the group. When we had the grandparents and an Aunt with us, having multiple strollers was nice as could spit up at times, but when just my wife and myself it was better to just have the one - otherwise there were times were one of us was off with one kid (bathroom or something) and the other had to maneuver both strollers by themselves and was tricky.

As to the Skyliner, just from following reports from the begging to more current it seems like was up to the CM's discretion and in the past they were more open to allowing the in-line double stollers to roll on while the double-wide strollers had to be folded, but perhaps now just making all double strollers fold up to make loading easier

When there were children in our family, we always lived by the maxim that you visit Disney so that the adults outnumber the children, enlisting siblings, cousins, etc., to go-with if necessary.

When there were children in our family, we always lived by the maxim that you visit Disney so that the adults outnumber the children, enlisting siblings, cousins, etc., to go-with if necessary.
Easier said than done on many people's budgets. The cost of Disney trips has increased substantially in the past few years!!

I just compared what I'm paying for our 2020 trip to the identical trip we took (same week of the year) in 2016 and the cost of the Disney portion (resort, DDP, park tickets) has increased by 30%!!! A Trip that cost of $2,240 in 2016 will cost me $3,234 in 2020!!! (It will actually be more but for comparison sake I priced my DD out as if she was still a child next year as opposed to a Disney adult.)

We rode the skyliner last weekend and LOVED it! We started out at CBR for one night. Our room was very close to the Riviera station. So we rode it several times. Then the rest of our trip was at Pop, so we used it again to get to Hollywood Studios. We did have to use the bus for the EEMH, since it wasn't open that early. And we used the bus one other time when the CBR to Pop/AOA line was down Saturday evening. Other than that, the skyliner was great! We didn't have any stopping/starting on any of our rides. I believe the skyliner is a definite WIN for those resorts with access!

Although I didn't think to get the cabin numbers every time we rode, I did remember twice:
307-Beauty and the Beast
290-Snow White

I'd say to CBR it was 2-3 minutes. Then to HS, it was maybe 4-5 minutes. It didn't take long. And there was never a line a for us at CBR. We didn't go to Epcot. But from CBR to Riviera it was maybe 1-2 minutes.

I guess it does depend on crowds and time you go... I am going the 2nd week of Dec 2019 but sounds like it's a lot quicker than waiting on bus. Thanks for the info

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!