• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know the details of the severance? Is everyone getting something, including the part time folks (which I think make up 2/3rds of the layoffs)?

If this is really just impacting the more senior folks who were salaried, etc then I don't think this is a huge deal. A lot of times there is "gardening leave" or similar when there was a contract and you are getting your settlement anyway were someone can't go to another firm ... so if this is just saying if they go somewhere before the agreement runs out the severance gets cut off, I get that

If this is for lowe level people that might have to take a job with even lower pay (since Disney had raised pay rates) then this is pretty sucky

Not sure who this covers but the way it works makes sense. Though again it looks like bad messaging from Disney.

Per the article, severance is not paid until Dec. 4, so if a CM gets a job before then, they have to officially resign from Disney (as they are technically still employed by them thru Dec. 4). Once the company processes that resignation, they would no longer be on the books when they go to process the severances. Now, if they are furloughed and not reporting to work in any way, could you forget to send in that resignation letter...

Even the salaried folks that were laid off should get their 3 months without conditions. I'm sure a lot of them aren't wealthy like the execs. And we all know the execs would get a lot more without strings.

Not sure who this covers but the way it works makes sense. Though again it looks like bad messaging from Disney.

Per the article, severance is not paid until Dec. 4, so if a CM gets a job before then, they have to officially resign from Disney (as they are technically still employed by them thru Dec. 4). Once the company processes that resignation, they would no longer be on the books when they go to process the severances. Now, if they are furloughed and not reporting to work in any way, could you forget to send in that resignation letter...

That would be fair. I they say you have to work and are willing to pay you fully until Dec 4th, then yes, leaving early for another job would void the severance. I have seen that scenario before.

It is pretty standard, I have seen this policy at most of the large consumer product companies I have worked for, and also at my current employer which is retail/healthcare. It's kind of like being on unemployment, once you get a job, you can't collect anymore.

unfortunately it is common for businesses to not pay severance if you find new employment. I have on 2 separate times in my career been told I was going to be laid off, each time it was 60 days from the notice. Being the main bread winner, I immediately started my search and found employment prior to the 60 days. So, when I resigned, the severance was revoked. Did not like it, but it was totally legal. What Disney is doing is legal, but do not like what they are doing either. So here is a rhetorical question, if you are a cast member who had their severance revoked, if Disney comes back and reaches out for you to be rehired--are you going to go back knowing how they treated you?

I think the huge caveat here is that there are plenty of Cast Members who are now forced to choose between the $275 from the State of Florida + severance, or getting a new job and giving up severance.

In a non-pandemic situation, it would make perfect sense that if you get a new job, you lose severance, but in this scenario it's a bit difference in the sense that Cast who are furloughed are not being paid up until the separation date

The article also says:
As of publish time, it’s unclear how Disney will enforce this policy.

I'm wondering if it's in the default contract (just standard wording). When offered severance, it's often to get you to stay those last days. I guess in this case it's to hold out to see if you're needed. So if you resigned to take another job, you would no longer be applicable, because it was a resignation. This is standard. This is going to be a harder one to enforce (or notice, really), with everyone being furloughed, as they're not working anyways. I'm hoping Disney takes this on a case by case basis. I think someone that takes a job between this announcement and the separation date should still qualify, because they KNOW they won't be returning.

Yeah, MCO is my biggest worry.
That place always has a funny smell and not fresh air even before the pandemic.

I feel like driving is the way to go but it's a long drive for me so flying is easier and cheaper.
Just got back last week. MCO is empty right now. We had no problems with distancing at the airports. Unfortunately the flight attendants were not nearly as vigilant about reminding people about masks as Disney CMs were.

The article also says:
As of publish time, it’s unclear how Disney will enforce this policy.

I'm wondering if it's in the default contract (just standard wording). When offered severance, it's often to get you to stay those last days. I guess in this case it's to hold out to see if you're needed. So if you resigned to take another job, you would no longer be applicable, because it was a resignation. This is standard. This is going to be a harder one to enforce (or notice, really), with everyone being furloughed, as they're not working anyways. I'm hoping Disney takes this on a case by case basis. I think someone that takes a job between this announcement and the separation date should still qualify, because they KNOW they won't be returning.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by what people are calling severance. To me, severance is when you part ways with a company and they give you pay after you are gone. But if they give you 3 months severance, that doesn't mean you stay and work for 3 more months. That means you leave today or at some date, and they still pay you for three months after that last day you actually work. Otherwise, it's just 3 months notice.

Not sure what the facts are here. If they are working until Dec 4th or whatever the day is, do they get 3 months pay after that? Sure hope so. Surely that is the case.

Hi :wave2: this is the spreadsheet I started! Am SO grateful to Carlye for the support and to The Dis team for including it in their recent blog post. I hope folks will find it useful. Lots of CM's small businesses are listed! :)
Awesome! Thank you for doing that!

Awesome! Thank you for doing that!

It is the very very very least I could do! The CMs have quite literally made all of my trips the most magical -- all of my most special and favorite memories of every single WDW and DLR trips come from CM interactions and engagement. Since I'm not a trillionaire (yet) this was my small way of trying to help. :)

That would be fair. I they say you have to work and are willing to pay you fully until Dec 4th, then yes, leaving early for another job would void the severance. I have seen that scenario before.

Yeah i ran into that during the great recession. I got laid off but was still employeed through end of the month then 3 months severence. I did find a new job during that month but got them to push the start date will after I wasn't employed with the current company anymore to avoid that situation.

It is so sad that CA politics are going to cause these people to be out of work.
I went back to the office in May, for a giant fortune 100 company... our plants never shut down (including our CA locations!). Our offices have been fine. We even traveled for work. It is possible to navigate thru this time. The CA Governor should be ashamed. /end rant.

I haven’t had ONE day off to work from home and I’m in and out of the hospitals routinely for work. I hear ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter