Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here to bring you the human side of this story
Im at dhs rn, sitting eating a Mickey pretzel, the folks supporting next to me engaged in conversation with the custodial cm.
Guests: i just feel so bad for all of you, not knowing what's going to happen
CM: don't worry about us, you're here to have fun, experience the magic and forget the real world

That is a nice story. It prompts me to ask a question: From a CM perspective, is it better if guests visit WDW or not? I have considered going, but part of me feels it's not the responsible choice in regards to teh spread of the virus (not so much at Disney, but the air travel/airports worry me). I also know that the better the parks do the more CMs will be needed - the only way to get them back to work is if the parks do well. It's something I struggle with. I thought you might have the CM perspective on that sonce you know so many. Thanks.

That is a nice story. It prompts me to ask a question: From a CM perspective, is it better if guests visit WDW or not? I have considered going, but part of me feels it's not the responsible choice in regards to teh spread of the virus (not so much at Disney, but the air travel/airports worry me). I also know that the better the parks do the more CMs will be needed - the only way to get them back to work is if the parks do well. It's something I struggle with. I thought you might have the CM perspective on that sonce you know so many. Thanks.
If you're not sick and want to come you should come
When you come you need to stick to procedures and everyone is happy

If you're not sick and want to come you should come
When you come you need to stick to procedures and everyone is happy

Oh, of course I would follow all rules and procedures - it was more of a philosophical question. Do the CMs prefer the guests come, or do they kind of resent it? I can kind of see it both ways. Is it better that we visit and help Disney create jobs or that we flatten the curve so that we get through this thing quicker?

Oh, of course I would follow all rules and procedures - it was more of a philosophical question. Do the CMs prefer the guests come, or do they kind of resent it? I can kind of see it both ways. Is it better that we visit and help Disney create jobs or that we flatten the curve so that we get through this thing quicker?
No resentment at all unless people coming are not following guidelines

Honest question - why would they resent it? If Disney wasn't open, they would be out of a job. Unfortunately Disney is open and a lot are still out of a job.

Honest question - why would they resent it? If Disney wasn't open, they would be out of a job. Unfortunately Disney is open and a lot are still out of a job.

I don't know - certianly there are plenty of people who would say that unnecessary travel is exactly what we should be avoiding right now. We are risking our health and the CMs just be being there, though I do understand that the guidelines do keep those risks low. I know that workers everywhere resent the "bad" customers and right now anyone could be seen as such. I feel this way whenever I go out currently - this feeling like I shouldn't be there. It's just something I kind of waver about and I was curious about the CM perspective.

I don't know - certianly there are plenty of people who would say that unnecessary travel is exactly what we should be avoiding right now. We are risking our health and the CMs just be being there, though I do understand that the guidelines do keep those risks low. I know that workers everywhere resent the "bad" customers and right now anyone could be seen as such. I feel this way whenever I go out currently - this feeling like I shouldn't be there. It's just something I kind of waver about and I was curious about the CM perspective.

I understand. I don't particularly see it that way, but that's just me. :)

I understand. I don't particularly see it that way, but that's just me. :)

Well, I kind of don't either, but I also kind of do - hence my waffling about it. I jsut read an artical where a CM called it "unethical" to be in the parks right now (well a couple of months ago when that was published) but a lot of purported CMs in the comments disagreed. It's just tricky to understand.

Well, I kind of don't either, but I also kind of do - hence my waffling about it. I jsut read an artical where a CM called it "unethical" to be in the parks right now (well a couple of months ago when that was published) but a lot of purported CMs in the comments disagreed. It's just tricky to understand.
Ultimately, everyone should do what they are comfortable with. If one is uneasy with going on vacation with the risk of the virus, they definitely shouldn't go. If someone goes to Disney, they really need to follow all of the safety rules in place so that the risk of transmission of the virus is minimized. I think going to the parks is a fairly low risk activity with these controls in place, but the risk isn't zero.

For example, we have a trip booked in December. We currently have flights booked, but we are leaning towards cancelling those and driving down. It's not an ideal situation, but right now we feel safer driving than flying.

Ultimately, everyone should do what they are comfortable with. If one is uneasy with going on vacation with the risk of the virus, they definitely shouldn't go. If someone goes to Disney, they really need to follow all of the safety rules in place so that the risk of transmission of the virus is minimized. I think going to the parks is a fairly low risk activity with these controls in place, but the risk isn't zero.

For example, we have a trip booked in December. We currently have flights booked, but we are leaning towards cancelling those and driving down. It's not an ideal situation, but right now we feel safer driving than flying.

Yeah, I have definitely thought about driving, but it's pretty far. I would feel safer than flying, but I'd need someone to go with me to help drive.

At least the union CM were given the choice to come back to work or stayed furloughed through December if they felt uncomfortable or if they or someone they live with are in the risk category. So right now they do resent the guests that are not obeying the rules imply because it is stated everywhere, from the moment you book, to signs in the resorts, at the bus stations, at the entrance to the parks, over speaker every 10 minutes, so why come and not follow the rules, so those guests they resent. The guest that listen and follow are their absolute favorite :D

Just here to bring you the human side of this story
Im at dhs rn, sitting eating a Mickey pretzel, the folks supporting next to me engaged in conversation with the custodial cm.
Guests: i just feel so bad for all of you, not knowing what's going to happen
CM: don't worry about us, you're here to have fun, experience the magic and forget the real world

So I am sure that each CM is different, but in general do you think they appreciate sentiments like that? Like expressing to a CM that you feel bad about everything going on, or would they prefer to not be reminded about it?

and obviously definite mentioning that you appreciated them and giving positive support of course, handing out Thank You cards, etc. - guess asking more about expressing sympathy

So I am sure that each CM is different, but in general do you think they appreciate sentiments like that? Like expressing to a CM that you feel bad about everything going on, or would they prefer to not be reminded about it?

and obviously definite mentioning that you appreciated them and giving positive support of course, handing out Thank You cards, etc. - guess asking more about expressing sympathy
In general i think they appreciate the support, they tend to think people just don't know what's happening or don't care, so reaching out and expressing support is a great way to validate their work and the stress they're going through.

Yeah, MCO is my biggest worry.
That place always has a funny smell and not fresh air even before the pandemic.

I feel like driving is the way to go but it's a long drive for me so flying is easier and cheaper.

I really think driving is the way to go rather than being packed in like sardines in a plane and smelly airports.

Last edited:
I know the article says that cutting off severance if you get a new job is "common", but I've never heard of that. Not sure how that would even be enforced. It's typically "Here's what you get. Goodbye."

In the end, it's better than nothing, but not a good as I would have expected from a company like Disney that markets themselves as a different type of company.

Do we know the details of the severance? Is everyone getting something, including the part time folks (which I think make up 2/3rds of the layoffs)?

If this is really just impacting the more senior folks who were salaried, etc then I don't think this is a huge deal. A lot of times there is "gardening leave" or similar when there was a contract and you are getting your settlement anyway were someone can't go to another firm ... so if this is just saying if they go somewhere before the agreement runs out the severance gets cut off, I get that

If this is for lowe level people that might have to take a job with even lower pay (since Disney had raised pay rates) then this is pretty sucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter