Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind some of this trimming they wanted to do prior to the pandemic. A good chunk of these jobs are gone permanently.

Plus they can bring back the college program and international folks (eventually)

So I think it will be easier for Disney to attract folks than other companies - plus they increased their minimum wage to be higher than other comparable jobs

Now getting back the experience lost, that will take some time

Plus they can bring back the college program and international folks (eventually)

So I think it will be easier for Disney to attract folks than other companies - plus they increased their minimum wage to be higher than other comparable jobs

Now getting back the experience lost, that will take some time
Those programs will need significant lead time to put people working in the parks. Especially, the international program because of the visa process.

This is over 20% of the PEP workforce. I think they were probably looking to trim the workforce by 1 or 2%. Cuts this deep are because they think business is going to be depressed for a long time.
Of course not all we’re going to be cut but you’d be surprised. This wasn’t set to be an all at once cut but they were definitely sped up by the pandemic. Bob Iger has said he believes the future of Disney is with less employees.

Now that the NBA season is over, I'm expecting more layoff news. The league being there consumed a lot of staff and now they sadly arent needed

Possibly - though I think the announcement happened when it did to fit within their fiscal year, which ended with the end of September

More likely is that they accounted for this in that number and some people will now be informed and others will be reallocated to other locations

I just private messaged Unite Here to ask on Facebook. If you have more than a year with the company and have been recalled you are safe
That is not the case for PT merchandise. It is different depending on the union you are repped by. Merchandise cut off is October 3, 2015.

While I have been very worried as a CR in merchandise - and for this reason as the date is seniority date, and my hire date is earlier than my seniority date - but I am safe. I don't think the fact whether you have been called back or not has anything to do with it, although I don't know any CRs in my area who have less than 5 YOS/seniority that have been called back to work.

That is not the case for PT merchandise. It is different depending on the union you are repped by. Merchandise cut off is October 3, 2015.

While I have been very worried as a CR in merchandise - and for this reason as the date is seniority date, and my hire date is earlier than my seniority date - but I am safe. I don't think the fact whether you have been called back or not has anything to do with it, although I don't know any CRs in my area who have less than 5 YOS/seniority that have been called back to work.
yes I should've made clear this was just for attractions and custodial

The wage increase is in increments, not a one time jump like most people think...Target is hiring and pays more than Disney now

Last edited:
The wage increase is in increments, not a one time jump like most people think...Target is hiring and pays more than Disney now

Walmart and Hobby Lobby as well. At the end of the day Disney will be mid to.bottom of the pack again as they just dont really care and think they can live off their reputation to get labor whenever they want....even though reality has already said otherwise.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby as well. At the end of the day Disney will be mid to.bottom of the pack again as they just dont really care and think they can live off their reputation to get labor whenever they want....even though reality has already said otherwise.
Disney will be at $15 a year from now. They’re at $14 now. It’s not like they’re a decade away from being at $15. They’re following the same route some major states, like NY, are doing the raise, a dollar a year.

Disney will be at $15 a year from now. They’re at $14 now. It’s not like they’re a decade away from being at $15. They’re following the same route some major states, like NY, are doing the raise, a dollar a year.
Correct, the Union contracts that were signed 4 years ago will bring up the base rate to $15 an hour in Jan of 2021.

Correct, the Union contracts that were signed 4 years ago will bring up the base rate to $15 an hour in Jan of 2021.
I’m pretty sure it’s October. Disney’s fiscal year starts in October. They just went up to $14 the beginning of this month, so $15 will be 10/2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter