"Disney Faulted in Disability Access Complaints"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm saying is that if it comes back for anyone, just like the old arrow stamp, it may start out rare, but it won't stay rare.
I actually see this as a potential issue with the aspect of the DAS where you bring it back, they scan it and issue a new one. What if the reason it was originally issued no longer exists. After awhile there could be so many out there that thee could be problems. I know that many don't feel that they should have to explain their needs on each trip, but really doing it that way helps make the system work for the people who absolutely couldn't access the rides without it.

I actually see this as a potential issue with the aspect of the DAS where you bring it back, they scan it and issue a new one. What if the reason it was originally issued no longer exists. After awhile there could be so many out there that thee could be problems. I know that many don't feel that they should have to explain their needs on each trip, but really doing it that way helps make the system work for the people who absolutely couldn't access the rides without it.

Sure. And they could change the system again.

There's no guarantee the DAS is permanent either if it becomes a burden to the system as well. I think there's less of a potential for that though, personally.

Another scenario (non-cognitive). What happens if a person incurrs significant pain when transferring from a mobility device to a ride due to a disability? Since, under the law, all disabilities must be considered equally, wouldn't the person then, if the plaintiffs win, also be eligible for similar treatment? That's eating quite a bit info ride capacity (especially if one considers that there are gong to be lots of cases where it's the individual with the disability, plus (at least) one additional guest.

I think the DAS works pretty well. I read this article and it got me frustrated. DL scanning each pass for each ride return time, seems to have really helped cut down on the funny business out there. Good job, DL!

It is much better at DL than at WDW, with the kiosks that can give a return time for any ride, in either park. So nice not to have to approach an attraction, get a time, and return later. In many ways, DL is easier to visit for us than WDW. (too bad the the flights from the east coast and rooms are more expensive, though). Walking (while pushing DS in his Convaid chair) from the resort hotel, and from park to park, is so much easier than trying to get that heavy chair on and off a bus.

Perhaps some day Disneyworld will get a way to obtain DAS return times via My Disney Experience, at the park portals.

Personally, I think the plaintiffs in this lawsuit would only be happy with a DAS that allowed immediate access to whatever attraction they want, as many times as they want, without waiting.
Couldn't have said it better. Unfortunately some people feel that they are not only entitled but deserve and expect even more. If you have a DISability of any kind when you do anything you live within your perameters. Okay I am going to say it now, I can't spell worth a ****. You make reservation for dinner, you ask for a highchair if needed, tell them one in your part is is a wheelchair, there is someone with food allergies, etc. My niece has severe nut allergies. Not only does she need to tell the server about this but we wipe down the table and the menu. We also ask the server who is attending us that they wash their hands before serving my niece. If you can't be accomodated then we go someplace else. I have 2 children with hidden disabilities. My oldest is considered a low functioning adult but to most just comes across as an annoying twit. Even though I call him that I do love him, he is just my twit. My youngest At one point was deemed mild to moderate mr with global difficencies. The moderate part of it is gone but academics will always be a problem. Socially she is a pretty normal 19year old. With exceptions. Little to trusting. The reason I am giving out this much info, not my usual, is that as "normal" as they appear we make decisions as to what they can and cannot do all the time. Common Sense is a ruling factor for us. We do what we can withing the limitations given us. My DD is part of a special needs cheer squad. Most of the kids have been to Disney at one time or another. Their families all make certain plans when going. Some have had to put off trips till the kids could handle it better, and we all know that situations change in the blink of an eye.

I have been around on these boards a long time. Formerly know as mickey&minniealways, had trouble getting back on the boards when they changed the look. I am just saying I am glad to be back. Sorry for all the rambling.

Another scenario (non-cognitive). What happens if a person incurrs significant pain when transferring from a mobility device to a ride due to a disability? Since, under the law, all disabilities must be considered equally, wouldn't the person then, if the plaintiffs win, also be eligible for similar treatment? That's eating quite a bit info ride capacity (especially if one considers that there are gong to be lots of cases where it's the individual with the disability, plus (at least) one additional guest.

Thanks for bringing this up. I see this as a huge issue. My severe osteoarthritis has already resulted in one artificial knee and I am fighting like crazy to avoid a second. The pain and instability from a transfer are some of the worst things that I have had to deal with. Just as standing in a long line is not possible, wheelchairs are also not the answer for many of us. My unfortunate conclusion is that right now WDW is just not possible for someone in my condition. I think there are many people suffering like this so I can this being a growing problem.

And to the previous poster who is seeing so many more people in wheelchairs, that is because that is the only answer Disney is giving to a large number of their disabled guests.

I think the DAS works pretty well. I read this article and it got me frustrated. DL scanning each pass for each ride return time, seems to have really helped cut down on the funny business out there. Good job, DL!

It is much better at DL than at WDW, with the kiosks that can give a return time for any ride, in either park. So nice not to have to approach an attraction, get a time, and return later. In many ways, DL is easier to visit for us than WDW. (too bad the the flights from the east coast and rooms are more expensive, though). Walking (while pushing DS in his Convaid chair) from the resort hotel, and from park to park, is so much easier than trying to get that heavy chair on and off a bus.

Perhaps some day Disneyworld will get a way to obtain DAS return times via My Disney Experience, at the park portals.

This is a great point of view and something I hope Disney World does do. I read that DL is connecting the DAS to the Magic Bands and honestly I think that is the best possible move anyone could do. IMO I love having magic bands, I love the fact that my entire vacation is right there on my wrist and that nothing will get lost (unless of course My Magic+ goes down, which is possible, but for that reason I keep all my info in a back up file on my phone as well). Anyways Its nice not having to worry about where I put my admission ticket or where to keep my paper fast passes. I loved our last trip of literally just being able to walk out of the park and really not have to worry about bring anything except my sons bookbag (which had the autograph books, his pins, and the DAS). Personally though I was super nervous through the whole trip that we were going to misplace his DAS. It would just be easier for Disney World to connect the DAS through Magic Bands...Everything else is pretty much paperless why not have the DAS paperless.

I'm not 100% sure what your asking! but I also don't know how a DAS or any other accommodation would help someone who is in pain transferring. Allowing them to take their mobility aid through the line all the way up to the ride is their accommodation, but there's no magical way to take the pain away.

Plus, the plaintiffs filing basically says "let the people with mobility issues go through regular lines. Their treatment is fine." So they aren't fighting for all disabilities here.

And to the previous poster who is seeing so many more people in wheelchairs, that is because that is the only answer Disney is giving to a large number of their disabled guests.

Sure, but it's also an appropriate accommodation to many situations. Maybe not the most desired, but appropriate.

How many posts do we see here where someone doesn't want a wheelchair because they don't use one in their daily life?

I'm not 100% sure what your asking! but I also don't know how a DAS or any other accommodation would help someone who is in pain transferring. Allowing them to take their mobility aid through the line all the way up to the ride is their accommodation, but there's no magical way to take the pain away.

Plus, the plaintiffs filing basically says "let the people with mobility issues go through regular lines. Their treatment is fine." So they aren't fighting for all disabilities here.
The lawsuit does basically say that.

I also am not sure what type of accommodation could be given to help with pain in getting on or off attractions. If you have one, and it is reasonable, you can discuss it with a Guest Relations. I think one of the issues is there is really no accommodation.
We ran into that with my father in law, who had very bad hips and knees. What he finally concluded did help (after fighting it for many years) was an ECV so that he could sit when he needed to and park it when he needed to walk.
A cane would have helped some with getting on and off some attractions, but he never agreed to that.

Many people have said that standing still hurts, but there are many attractions where there is no way to avoid standing still for varying time periods.
Many of those are attractions that load in batches or shows, so DAS would not help.
Places to wait near the boarding area might.
Sure, but it's also an appropriate accommodation to many situations. Maybe not the most desired, but appropriate.

How many posts do we see here where someone doesn't want a wheelchair because they don't use one in their daily life?
I was the person who mentioned seeing more wheelchairs and ECVs.

That is not a recent development. We have been traveling to WDW with someone using a wheelchair since 1987, and saw a steady increase of devices during that time, so it doesn't have anything to do with DAS.

In the last 3 years, we have seen maybe a few less ECVs and a steady increase in the number of guests using rollators (wheeled walkers with fold down seats).

For se guests, those are s very good device - a seat when you need it, walking, easy to fold for bus or car.

In October of last year, the DAS at WDW did not work well for our child with developmental/cognitive disabilities. It worked rather poorly, actually. But why, is none of your business. Suffice to say, the current system did not accommodate the needs of our child. A limited attempt was made to come up with a limited work around...and yes, folks, they do have lots of powers with MB's, but, sadly, still inadequate accommodation. Disney Hong Kong, earlier in the year in June, seemed to work just fine but not so at Disney Tokyo which seems to be taking the strict application of the DAS rules to an all new level. Yes, consider this a warning. Either way, despite the great enjoyment our child has had at WDW and other parks over the last 6 years from when she was 18 months, sadly, we probably won't be back for some time. It is just becoming too hard with a place that just does not seem to have ways to truly accommodate her specific needs. Perhaps I will investigate Disney Paris for a trip to the EU we are taking this May but I think we will probably take a pass.

I don't plan on reading any of your responses unless you feel like sending me a PM.

... Disney Hong Kong, earlier in the year in June, seemed to work just fine but not so at Disney Tokyo which seems to be taking the strict application of the DAS rules to an all new level. ... Perhaps I will investigate Disney Paris for a trip to the EU we are taking this May but I think we will probably take a pass. ...

Just to clarify for anyone reading... the Disney parks in other countries have their own separate ways to handle guests with disabilities, typically dictated by laws in those countries. To my knowledge, none of the non-U.S. parks use the exact DAS system in use here for WDW and DL/DCA. Some are quite different.

@asc I'm very sorry your child/family did not have a good experience with the DAS. I do agree with you that unfortunately there probably is no system that can be everything to everybody, allowing for completely equal experiences. I hope your family enjoys your vacations, wherever those travels may lead you.

It's hard to dialog about improvements and downfalls without sharing any details, but thanks for the insight I guess.

Hopefully you have a nice time as DL Paris if you go.

In October of last year, the DAS at WDW did not work well for our child with developmental/cognitive disabilities. It worked rather poorly, actually. But why, is none of your business. Suffice to say, the current system did not accommodate the needs of our child. A limited attempt was made to come up with a limited work around...and yes, folks, they do have lots of powers with MB's, but, sadly, still inadequate accommodation. Disney Hong Kong, earlier in the year in June, seemed to work just fine but not so at Disney Tokyo which seems to be taking the strict application of the DAS rules to an all new level. Yes, consider this a warning. Either way, despite the great enjoyment our child has had at WDW and other parks over the last 6 years from when she was 18 months, sadly, we probably won't be back for some time. It is just becoming too hard with a place that just does not seem to have ways to truly accommodate her specific needs. Perhaps I will investigate Disney Paris for a trip to the EU we are taking this May but I think we will probably take a pass.

I don't plan on reading any of your responses unless you feel like sending me a PM.

What an odd response. No details, only "it didn't work," and then a refusal to engage in any meaningful discussion on the thread.

That's the poster's MO.

Ah, thanks. I'm not usually over on this board, but a friend from work with a family member with special needs is thinking about a trip. She's not really computer-savvy, so I told her I'd look some things up for her.

The lawsuit does basically say that.

I also am not sure what type of accommodation could be given to help with pain in getting on or off attractions. If you have one, and it is reasonable, you can discuss it with a Guest Relations. I think one of the issues is there is really no accommodation.
We ran into that with my father in law, who had very bad hips and knees. What he finally concluded did help (after fighting it for many years) was an ECV so that he could sit when he needed to and park it when he needed to walk.
A cane would have helped some with getting on and off some attractions, but he never agreed to that.

Many people have said that standing still hurts, but there are many attractions where there is no way to avoid standing still for varying time periods.
Many of those are attractions that load in batches or shows, so DAS would not help.
Places to wait near the boarding area might.

I was the person who mentioned seeing more wheelchairs and ECVs.

That is not a recent development. We have been traveling to WDW with someone using a wheelchair since 1987, and saw a steady increase of devices during that time, so it doesn't have anything to do with DAS.

In the last 3 years, we have seen maybe a few less ECVs and a steady increase in the number of guests using rollators (wheeled walkers with fold down seats).

For se guests, those are s very good device - a seat when you need it, walking, easy to fold for bus or car.

My point was that if back 2 back rides are permitted for cognitive disabilities than they must also be accommodated for other disabilities where it a necessary accommodation. Avoiding an unnecessary transfer to avoid significant pain sure seems like a reasonable accommodation with a very high degree of correlation, at least for some people: eg it always hurts to get in/out of the cars @ TT.

Last edited:
My point was that if back 2 back rides are permitted for cognitive disabilities than they must also be accommodated for other disabilities where it a necessary accommodation. Avoiding an unnecessary transfer to avoid significant pain sure seems like a reasonable accommodation with a very high degree of correlation, at least for some people: eg it always hurts to get in/out of the cars @ TT.

The DAS doesn't provide back to back riding without waiting again, whether it be via FP/DAS or getting a fresh return time, etc.

Are you just suggesting that would be an outcome of ruling in favor of the plaintiffs?

In October of last year, the DAS at WDW did not work well for our child with developmental/cognitive disabilities. It worked rather poorly, actually. But why, is none of your business. Suffice to say, the current system did not accommodate the needs of our child. ......

Needs and wants are different things. A child NEEDS learning tools at school which allow him to get an education. A person NEEDS a way to get a wheelchair into a building. But a child might have a disability that makes them WANT to ride a certain ride 100 times in a row but that is not a need. A child might WANT to go into a line without waiting, but again, that is not a need. The DAS accommodates NEEDS well within the law.

It's really frustrating when access laws are being challenged due to wants, rather than true needs.

The DAS doesn't provide back to back riding without waiting again, whether it be via FP/DAS or getting a fresh return time, etc.

Are you just suggesting that would be an outcome of ruling in favor of the plaintiffs?

From my understanding of the lawsuit (see http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/10/disneyland_disability_access_lawsuit.php), it would appear that back2back rides are a desired outcome.

I agree that it's not currently permitted under the DAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter