"Disney Faulted in Disability Access Complaints"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attacks on the poster who has children with severe autism by those who have children with milder disorders really disgusts me given it was the abuse (and continued abuse) by the latter that led to the GAC being taken away from those children who are never going to understand the concept of having to wait. Let's face it, if the ADA does change its ways and allow Disney to require a letter from a doctor for proof and extent of disability, I would imagine a lot of your children will no longer quality for these passes that were originally intended for the truly disabled.
Sorry I didn't realize we were playing disability Olympics. Although it is amazing how you know the severity of someone or their child's disability without knowing anything other than a few message board posts.

And the gac was changed primarily due to use not abuse. When 1/4 of the riders on some rides were using gac cards (the cars ride is California) that is a problem for everyone. The looping could also be a problem. There are people who say their child rode a ride 50 times during one trip. Was that use or abuse?

The attacks on the poster who has children with severe autism by those who have children with milder disorders really disgusts me given it was the abuse (and continued abuse) by the latter that led to the GAC being taken away from those children who are never going to understand the concept of having to wait. Let's face it, if the ADA does change its ways and allow Disney to require a letter from a doctor for proof and extent of disability, I would imagine a lot of your children will no longer quality for these passes that were originally intended for the truly disabled.

"the truly disabled"...oh, it's you again...and under another new name, I see.

The issue isn't just about abuse or someone's opinion about who abused the system or opinions on ranking disabilities. The sheer volume was becoming too much to remain workable. Disney had to come up with something workable for guests whether they were dealing with some kind of disability or not.

Sorry I didn't realize we were playing disability Olympics. Although it is amazing how you know the severity of someone or their child's disability without knowing anything other than a few message board posts.

This poster has been here under several names, (and other forums) always saying the same thing. "Truly disabled" is the giveaway, along with blaming loss of the GAC on children with autism.

It's pretty disgusting.

Abuse was not the only reason the GAC was discontinued. Increased (legitimate) demand and impact to park operations played as big, if not bigger parts in the reason it was discontinued.

How were you able to determine how severe or mild someone's disorder is based on their message board post? How do you know that families with the more severe issues didn't also abuse it? Using the GAC when the person it was issued to isn't in the park. Looping rides because a parent or sibling wanted to when then child actually could have exited and gone through FP again or the child in question didn't even ask to ride twice.

I don't think doctors notes are the answer. There are thousands of kids who get a doctor to say they have a learning disability so that they can get extra time on the SAT. There will be just as many doctors who will say that someone can't wait in line and there will quickly be more people than the rides can handle waiting for their immediate access.

Really? You know the disabilities of everyone in this thread? And you're willing to call out people for not being disabled enough? That's great.

Just because a child or adult doesn't understand the concept of "wait" does not allow them additional accommodations under the ADA. That is a "want" not a "need".

I think the time has come to close this thread.
It may re-open at some time in the future, but needs to be discussion, not name calling and innuendos.

No one can tell someone else's needs in person, much less over a message board.
There was abuse of GAC, both by people with disabilities and those without who might have been pretending to be disabled or more disabled than they actually were.
Even if someone is disabled, there are consequences to using GAC as a never ending immediate Fastpass and riding high demand rides over and over just because you could with a GAC.

One of the consequences was that use affected waits for other guests, and along with the large number of people with disabilities who were using GACs, the consequence was that GAC could not be sustained.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!