Disney Enchantment is a hard fail and 1 OCT was a disaster

I'm still going with security concerns. It's unprecedented to have the rededication the night before the actual event. Whether the concerns were that Chapek would get heckled on live tv (all it takes is one heckler) or something more serious, this had to have been a security concern.

I was not referring to anyone specific with my post. The personas that I am referring to were not banned. They simply went from posting constantly to zero activity. These were people that would post everywhere, on every topic, offering their opinions and most notably correcting people's opinions or actual experiences . Then around March their activity simply stopped.
~NM
Post history is faaaascinating ...

My daughter rode every ride in MK yesterday so wait times were great!
That’s crazy to hear after going in June and experiencing very long wait times and peak crowds across every park. You could barely move in Fantasyland and even It’s a small world was a 45 min wait then. Couldn’t believe the wait times on the app for yesterday. I cancelled our trip planned for the 50th after Covid delta wave hit Florida and the experience of the wait times in June.

Last edited:
I dunno I just felt like the 50th had no actual pizazz…

Should have had the stage BOOKED for that day interviewing cast members who were there for the opening day.

For that day had a special parade that was exclusive for that day even if it was festival of fantasy just for the day bring a parade out to make it feel good.

give the guests all 50th pins for that day

Have a fun game guests could have played where they ride all the Opening day attractions a cast member could stamp their book and at the end get a 50th pin or card or something

I know it hurts Disney but maybe had a HUGE 50th cake and all guests could have enjoyed a slice and birthday hats with the 50th logo as they all sung happy birthday before the fireworks show…

a stage show involving the history of disney for this day only showing Walt’s journey and maybe some little tribute to him…

I don’t think anything I listed would have broken the bank and it would have made the day feel special they did NOTHING to make that DAY feel like an event. Sad.

Don't let Chapek fool you. Just before covid Iger spent 71 BILLION dollars for 20th Century Fox making an enormous commission. And they already owned Star Wars. And DURING covid the execs were making muti-million dollar salaries with over 10 million dollar bonuses. These people are choking on money and laughing all the way to the bank. They shamelessly take advantage of Disney fans with their budget cuts because they know the fans won't say boo. Bad transportation, poorly paid and understaffed poorly trained CMs, rides poorly maintained, and trash not instantly cleaned up like before...the list goes on.

I was not referring to anyone specific with my post. The personas that I am referring to were not banned. They simply went from posting constantly to zero activity. These were people that would post everywhere, on every topic, offering their opinions and most notably correcting people's opinions or actual experiences . Then around March their activity simply stopped.
~NM
I received the 😡 face from you, so perhaps you are referring to me? If I have said something to offend you, please let me know. I am pretty good at admitting my mistakes and apologising as necessary.

It's really hard to describe the crowd levels waiting for fireworks on the 1st. They started taping off huge squares for people to squat in **behind the main street shops**. That is the area no one ever goes in. It was packed. in. full. I have never seen such a thing. They were making announcements about Main St being at capacity on the loudspeakers.

There was a walkway marked out and the CMs were directing people who wanted to leave the park to use this walkway behind the main street shops. You were not allowed to leave via Main St. We were waved to this walkway with the CMs using their light wand thingies. We were not allowed to enter Main St even though I wanted to stop by Emporium on the way out.

I heard many CMs talking to each other as I passed. They were just completely overwhelmed. Even they never saw anything like that. Complete madness. And I kind of agree with the first post, about the fireworks show.

It's really hard to describe the crowd levels waiting for fireworks on the 1st. They started taping off huge squares for people to squat in **behind the main street shops**. That is the area no one ever goes in. It was packed. in. full. I have never seen such a thing. They were making announcements about Main St being at capacity on the loudspeakers.

There was a walkway marked out and the CMs were directing people who wanted to leave the park to use this walkway behind the main street shops. You were not allowed to leave via Main St. We were waved to this walkway with the CMs using their light wand thingies. We were not allowed to enter Main St even though I wanted to stop by Emporium on the way out.

I heard many CMs talking to each other as I passed. They were just completely overwhelmed. Even they never saw anything like that. Complete madness. And I kind of agree with the first post, about the fireworks show.
There was a mom and young daughter who needed to go to the bathroom about 30 min before it started. They made them go all the way around the backstage area that is used as the exit after the show to get back to their spot. That walkway is used all the time even on regular nights, but i haven't seen it used before the show even started. It was nuts. And I agree, I've never seen anything like it. Not even NYE. It did seem to be well organized though.

I also suspect that some of the rampant, sounding off in many different threads, pixie dust snorters may work for 3rd party marketing firms subcontracted to "influence" social media and message boards on behalf of the mouse.

Did you ever notice that these "Disney Defenders" are amongst the first responders to a negative opinion/experience post? That would be easy to do if your job would be to monitor social media and respond quickly to quash opinions/experiences that don't agree with the rosy picture a company wishes to portray. Yes, that's a real job and that's the way it works.

https://www.marketingdive.com/news/...cers-to-avoid-frozen-2-ad-disclosures/569055/

This is not to say that every opinion that is favorable to Disney is a paid social media influencer. It's just noticeable when the usual suspects are running from board to board singing Disney's praises EVERY chance they get, no matter how egregious the lapses are.
I do believe that CMs are trained to be positive and play down anything negative. I had a few of my feedback comments answered with, 'oh, that is very popular', which I think is their fallback response. I also think that these boards tend to overlook the negatives as it's a fan forum. I like Disney very much but I also have some strong criticisms which is another topic.

I stayed in CR during the 50th weekend and there were lots of people wearing media lanyards. Another guest told me the ABC crew was occupying the 11th floor. It was quiet up on 12 because that was housing actual paying guests. I felt like the 50th was geared more to media, influencers, etc, rather than real guests. The resellers were problematic, not sure how to deal with that. Disney knows crowd control and how to manage it, they do it every day, but on the 50th it was all about promoting FOMO. I was a marketing pawn and I paid a lot for it.

I also feel that every resort guest should have gotten some sort of 50th token in their room on that day. A card, a pin, a plastic golden statue of Mickey, anything to make it seem like Disney really appreciated their actual guests. Nothing. Instead they paid Christina Aguilera probably millions to sing for that ABC show special that only media and I am sure, VIPS, were invited to. The 50th was a media promo event. End of.

Last edited:
I too was there for the 50th and was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I had a fun day, but there really were a number of key failures by the Disney team. Here's my experience:

- We arrived a little after 7am. Not as early as some folks seem to be saying we should have arrived if I had paid attention to the "planning" thread on this board. Well, I did pay attention to the planning thread - up until last week when I left on my vacation. I then had more important things to do than learn about how others were planning to arrive at a godawful early time, when there was no indication from Disney that anyone would be allowed through the gates before 7:30. But, I digress. At that time the main square was already packed, with the line for the Emporium snaking all the way around the center gardens area and back up Main Street. We had no intention of waiting in line for merchandise which had already been out and available for weeks, so we continued towards the Hub.

- Getting through Main Street was tough, but we managed. We were then stopped at one of the bridges to Tomorrowland, where CMs were checking in resort guests. It had just hit 7:30. There were already thousands and thousands of people already let through to Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus. We were confused, not understanding how anyone could have possibly made it to that point in the park much before us and been let through. Whatever, I guess we did not do enough "research".

- We get to Storybook circus and begin the line-waiting. Now, we expected a bit of line-waiting for merch. Yes, we could have spent all day riding rides, but that's what we'd spent the last week doing (hence why we came in early). We knew that the 50th itself was going to be a "prove we were there" focused day. It was approximately 7:45am at this point (so, still before any non-resort guests (or is it friends now?) were supposed to be allowed in). Lines were already so long for popcorn buckets that the frazzled CM in a Dumbo top hat and coattails had wound her line into an ever-reducing spiral with her at the center. Luckily, some other CMs came by to help her soon after. The "virtual" line for the Big Top (which we didn't even learn about until we got there) was already closed for capacity. That wasn't stopping literally everyone around us from constantly refreshing their phones in an attempt to get in. Anyways, during this time we took turns ushering our DD onto the basically empty rides (including a 7-ride streak on Barnstormer). She had a great time.

- Around 9am, coveted popcorn bucket in hand (proof!), we headed off to do rides (still constantly refreshing). As a bit of a joke, we looked up our popcorn bucket on eBay. It was already there and listed for $60. We took a break around 10:15 or so and, voila! I managed to get through on the virtual queue. We then decided where we thought was the best place for lunch (Cosmic Rays) and made our mobile order for 1:20-1:50pm. We figured it made sense to have lunch later than most normal people would eat so as to (hopefully) skip the rush.

- As many others have reported, ride lines were short. Some of the classics (Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion) were long-ish, but others were very short to complete walk-ons. Notably, at about noon we noticed that one side of the printing for our hard-won popcorn bucket had rubbed off. Some quality merchandise there.

- We made our way to Cosmic Rays at our appointed lunch time. We found a whole crush of people, some of whom had been waiting over an hour for their mobile orders to come through. These were not folks who walked up to the doors, realized they needed to mobile order, and then hung around the entrance waiting for the order to come through. They had all placed their orders early in the day, as we had. The CMs guarding the doors didn't have a lot of info on what was causing the backup, but it seemed clear there would be a significant wait. We waited nearby until our pick-up time was passed, and then went for some more rides.

- During this time, my invite to the Big Top went off. We headed back to Storybook Circus, and showed our virtual ticket...to get in another line. I could be wrong in my interpretation of how the line was set up, but it seemed as though CMs had not been prepared for quite that many folks to be crowding into the big top area. Anyways, we picked up some super-special this-day-only merchandise (some of which we saw selling at Creations the next day), and while we were waiting to check out, we got the info that our mobile order had finally come through (only about 90 minutes after our pick-up window closed!). There were piles and piles of orders being just tossed in the trash (as nobody was waiting around to pick up their exremely late lunches).

- We ate our late food and I went on a mission to deliver our packages back at our room. It was during my return trip to the park that I heard some of the other guests recounting their morning experiences. They included a resort boat crashing into the MK dock, observing a fistfight in the Emporium, going around and around the entrance area to get multiple park maps/exit posters, and some folks who found the super-special this-day-only park maps on eBay, selling for $150. DH and DD got on a lot more walk-on rides during this time period.

- We arrived at the Skipper Canteen at our scheduled ADR time of 7pm. In retrospect, I should have made this reservation earlier. But, as it was, we were not hungry at all (having had luch around 3pm). We didn't get into the restaurant until 7:30pm. Dinner was great (though rushed). We were out by 8:15 and headed to find a fireworks viewing spot.

- Well, as you might imagine, there were not many options left. Especially not for a family with a short kid that could not just stand at the back of already established groups and expect to have any line of sight. We did find a not-completely-obstructed spot that would work, and then waited with the remaining crush of humanity for the next 45 minutes. I will say that I thought the Hub and the Main Street area were overcrowded. Almost dangerously so. The CMs were doing their best to keep walkways clear, but forcing people behind the taped lines they had erected only forced them to crush together so that they could barely breathe. DH asked me if there was still a line for the Emporium. There was no way to tell, because there were too many people.

- The fireworks were...fine. I kind of liked them, DH less so. We both felt they were better than Harmonius (which we'd seen earlier in the week). DH's problems may have stemmed at least partly from our poor view (which he got the worst of). My biggest problem was...well...they're the same fireworks they'll do every night for at least then next 18 months. Nothing extra. Not even after-hours party worthy. For a once in a lifetime situation, I guess I figured they'd be more impressive. :confused3

- After that we stuck around to ride more walk-on rides. That was fun. However, to get to them we first had to swim upstream against the massive current of folks leaving after the fireworks. The route we'd taken to get to the front of the park (through backstage areas) was closed off to us. The CMs said it was only for leaving traffic (notably, no one was coming out that way). The route we'd often take through the shops was closed to us (and there was still a huge line for the Emporium). It was just push through and hang on to your kids for dear life until we made it to Liberty Square.

- We closed out the evening with a ride on the Carousel. Afterwards, everyone cheered as the park closed for the evening. As we left, it was still packed (and yes, the Emporium was still full).

So, was it a good experience? Yes. Was it a great experience? No. Did it meet my expectations? Probably, because my expectations for getting anything done during that day were pretty low. Did it exceed my expectations (as Disney often does)? No. Would I do it again? Only if DH begged me. But then, the only reason we were there in the first place was becase DH begged me. Do we think Disney dropped the ball? Yes. Do we feel that they failed to give guests the 50th Anniversary experience they deserved? Yes. Does that bother us much? No. We were there. We experienced it. We got the commemorative popcorn bucket to prove it. That's all we were really hoping to get from the day.

Last edited:
I too was there for the 50th and was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I had a fun day, but there really were a number of key failures by the Disney team. Here's my experience:

- We arrived a little after 7am. Not as early as some folks seem to be saying we should have arrived if I had paid attention to the "planning" thread on this board. Well, I did pay attention to the planning thread - up until last week when I left on my vacation. I then had more important things to do than learn about how others were planning to arrive at a godawful early time, when there was no indication from Disney that anyone would be allowed through the gates before 7:30. But, I digress. At that time the main square was already packed, with the line for the Emporium snaking all the way around the center gardens area and back up Main Street. We had no intention of waiting in line for merchandise which had already been out and available for weeks, so we continued towards the Hub.

- Getting through Main Street was tough, but we managed. We were then stopped at one of the bridges to Tomorrowland, where CMs were checking in resort guests. It had just hit 7:30. There were already thousands and thousands of people already let through to Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus. We were confused, not understanding how anyone could have possibly made it to that point in the park much before us and been let through. Whatever, I guess we did not do enough "research".

- We get to Storybook circus and begin the line-waiting. Now, we expected a bit of line-waiting for merch. Yes, we could have spent all day riding rides, but that's what we'd spent the last week doing (hence why we came in early). We knew that the 50th itself was going to be a "prove we were there" focused day. It was approximately 7:45am at this point (so, still before any non-resort guests (or is it friends now?) were supposed to be allowed in). Lines were already so long for popcorn buckets that the frazzled CM in a Dumbo top hat and coattails had wound her line into an ever-reducing spiral with her at the center. Luckily, some other CMs came by to help her soon after. The "virtual" line for the Big Top (which we didn't even learn about until we got there) was already closed for capacity. That wasn't stopping literally everyone around us from constantly refreshing their phones in an attempt to get in. Anyways, during this time we took turns ushering our DD onto the basically empty rides (including a 7-ride streak on Barnstormer). She had a great time.

- Around 9am, coveted popcorn bucket in hand (proof!), we headed off to do rides (still constantly refreshing). As a bit of a joke, we looked up our popcorn bucket on eBay. It was already there and listed for $60. We took a break around 10:15 or so and, voila! I managed to get through on the virtual queue. We then decided where we thought was the best place for lunch (Cosmic Rays) and made our mobile order for 1:20-1:50pm. We figured it made sense to have lunch later than most normal people would eat so as to (hopefully) skip the rush.

- As many others have reported, ride lines were short. Some of the classics (Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion) were long-ish, but others were very short to complete walk-ons. Notably, at about noon we noticed that one side of the printing for our hard-won popcorn bucket had rubbed off. Some quality merchandise there.

- We made our way to Cosmic Rays at our appointed lunch time. We found a whole crush of people, some of whom had been waiting over an hour for their mobile orders to come through. These were not folks who walked up to the doors, realized they needed to mobile order, and then hung around the entrance waiting for the order to come through. They had all placed their orders early in the day, as we had. The CMs guarding the doors didn't have a lot of info on what was causing the backup, but it seemed clear there would be a significant wait. We waited nearby until our pick-up time was passed, and then went for some more rides.

- During this time, my invite to the Big Top went off. We headed back to Storybook Circus, and showed our virtual ticket...to get in another line. I could be wrong in my interpretation of how the line was set up, but it seemed as though CMs had not been prepared for quite that many folks to be crowding into the big top area. Anyways, we picked up some super-special this-day-only merchandise (some of which we saw selling at Creations the next day), and while we were waiting to check out, we got the info that our mobile order had finally come through (only about 90 minutes after our pick-up window closed!). There were piles and piles of orders being just tossed in the trash (as nobody was waiting around to pick up their exremely late lunches).

- We ate our late food and I went on a mission to deliver our packages back at our room. It was during my return trip to the park that I heard some of the other guests recounting their morning experiences. They included a resort boat crashing into the MK dock, observing a fistfight in the Emporium, going around and around the entrance area to get multiple park maps/exit posters, and some folks who found the super-special this-day-only park maps on eBay, selling for $150. DH and DD got on a lot more walk-on rides during this time period.

- We arrived at the Skipper Canteen at our scheduled ADR time of 7pm. In retrospect, I should have made this reservation earlier. But, as it was, we were not hungry at all (having had luch around 3pm). We didn't get into the restaurant until 7:30pm. Dinner was great (though rushed). We were out by 8:15 and headed to find a fireworks viewing spot.

- Well, as you might imagine, there were not many options left. Especially not for a family with a short kid that could not just stand at the back of already established groups and expect to have any line of sight. We did find a not-completely-obstructed spot that would work, and then waited with the remaining crush of humanity for the next 45 minutes. I will say that I thought the Hub and the Main Street area were overcrowded. Almost dangerously so. The CMs were doing their best to keep walkways clear, but forcing people behind the taped lines they had erected only forced them to crush together so that they could barely breathe. DH asked me if there was still a line for the Emporium. There was no way to tell, because there were too many people.

- The fireworks were...fine. I kind of liked them, DH less so. We both felt they were better than Harmonius (which we'd seen earlier in the week). DH's problems may have stemmed at least partly from our poor view (which he got the worst of). My biggest problem was...well...they're the same fireworks they'll do every night for at least then next 18 months. Nothing extra. Not even after-hours party worthy. For a once in a lifetime situation, I guess I figured they'd be more impressive. :confused3

- After that we stuck around to ride more walk-on rides. That was fun. However, to get to them we first had to swim upstream against the massive current of folks leaving after the fireworks. The route we'd taken to get to the front of the park (through backstage areas) was closed off to us. The CMs said it was only for leaving traffic (notably, no one was coming out that way). The route we'd often take through the shops was closed to us (and there was still a huge line for the Emporium). It was just push through and hang on to your kids for dear life until we made it to Liberty Square.

- We closed out the evening with a ride on the Carousel. Afterwards, everyone cheered as the park closed for the evening. As we left, it was still packed (and yes, the Emporium was still full).

So, was it a good experience? Yes. Was it a great experience? No. Did it meet my expectations? Probably, because my expectations for getting anything done during that day were pretty low. Did it exceed my expectations (as Disney often does)? No. Would I do it again? Only if DH begged me. But then, the only reason we were there in the first place was becase DH begged me. Do we think Disney dropped the ball? Yes. Do we feel that they failed to give guests the 50th Anniversary experience they deserved? Yes. Does that bother us much? No. We were there. We experienced it. We got the commemorative popcorn bucket to prove it. that's all we were really hoping to get from the day.
Fortunately what your daughter will likely remember from the day is the 7 ride streak on Barnstormer.

Thanks for the thorough rundown.

- Notably, at about noon we noticed that one side of the printing for our hard-won popcorn bucket had rubbed off. Some quality merchandise there.
This made me sad!

There were piles and piles of orders being just tossed in the trash (as nobody was waiting around to pick up their exremely late lunches).
More sadness.

It was during my return trip to the park that I heard some of the other guests recounting their morning experiences. They included a resort boat crashing into the MK dock, observing a fistfight in the Emporium, going around and around the entrance area to get multiple park maps/exit posters, and some folks who found the super-special this-day-only park maps on eBay, selling for $150.
Sad...

ITA. We were expecting a super grand finale. We're noobs. :cutie:

So, was it a good experience? Yes. Was it a great experience? No. Did it meet my expectations? Probably, because my expectations for getting anything done during that day were pretty low. Did it exceed my expectations (as Disney often does)? No. Would I do it again? Only if DH begged me. But then, the only reason we were there in the first place was becase DH begged me. Do we think Disney dropped the ball? Yes. Do we feel that they failed to give guests the 50th Anniversary experience they deserved? Yes. Does that bother us much? No. We were there. We experienced it. We got the commemorative popcorn bucket to prove it. that's all we were really hoping to get from the day.
Same. Don't get me wrong, we had fun. My one (adult) son said on the last day, "I wasn't expecting it, but this trip was really fun". So it's not like we are a bunch of crabs having a miserable time, but I did feel some sadness at a lot of things that could have been so much better for just a bit more effort on Disney's part. They weren't trying for magic, they were trying for dollars. And that makes me sad.

Its the special, limited edition buckets they are after, not the popcorn lol.
Yippee…..another hunk of plastic to crap up one of my closets!

Honestly, I don’t get the whole “exclusive, limited edition” merch thing, never have. Heck, that was even when WDW had decent merch, not the schlock they generally trot out these days. I say consider yourself lucky to not have wasted your money on a popcorn bucket and other useless stuff you’d have forgotten about in short order or wasted your time selling on eBay….but to each their own!

Sorry to hear about Enchantment, much the same as I’ll probably consider the new Epcot show a bust when I see it. Disney has definitely lost much of their storytelling ability. As good as animated soundtracks are I don’t need a retread to fireworks in every park.

Sounds like if you stayed away from the merch madness and had some ADRs it was a nice day?

I'm still going with security concerns. It's unprecedented to have the rededication the night before the actual event. Whether the concerns were that Chapek would get heckled on live tv (all it takes is one heckler) or something more serious, this had to have been a security concern.
I do believe that CMs are trained to be positive and play down anything negative. I had a few of my feedback comments answered with, 'oh, that is very popular', which I think is their fallback response. I also think that these boards tend to overlook the negatives as it's a fan forum. I like Disney very much but I also have some strong criticisms which is another topic.

I stayed in CR during the 50th weekend and there were lots of people wearing media lanyards. Another guest told me the ABC crew was occupying the 11th floor. It was quiet up on 12 because that was housing actual paying guests. I felt like the 50th was geared more to media, influencers, etc, rather than real guests. The resellers were problematic, not sure how to deal with that. Disney knows crowd control and how to manage it, they do it every day, but on the 50th it was all about promoting FOMO. I was a marketing pawn and I paid a lot for it.

I also feel that every resort guest should have gotten some sort of 50th token in their room on that day. A card, a pin, a plastic golden statue of Mickey, anything to make it seem like Disney really appreciated their actual guests. Nothing. Instead they paid Christina Aguilera probably millions to sing for that ABC show special that only media and I am sure, VIPS, were invited to. The 50th was a media promo event. End of.

That was my takeaway as well. It felt as though most of the Parks resources were dedicated to accommodating the media rather than worrying about guest satisfaction. Probably could have moved a couple of the dozen or so CM standing by the back stage entrance used by the media/VIP to control the crowds on Main Street. I share some of the sentiments as the OP. Enchanted is a miss for me, and I think they misused the staffing that they did have. We still had a great time. Made lunch and dinner ADR a while ago so the IT failure for mobile ordering didn't affect us. Ride wait times were very low and comparable to the days leading up to the 1st. Disney knew what to expect with the merchandise craze and yet decided to play it by ear. The virtual line at Big Top was a mess, It wasn't a priority for us but we managed to get in the line and into the store later in the afternoon. Personally, I think Disney World could have learned a lesson or two from Disneyland when it comes to celebrating an Anniversary, and Fireworks too.

OP has every right to come on here and post about HIS experience that was impacted by Disney decisions……What I took away from all this is that Chapek & sons used the Magic Kingdom's 50th Birthday to create an insane supply and demand situation to sell as much product as possible right down to popcorn buckets - no surprise because Chapek's ONLY resume is retail and distribution. I mean there is like six different "collections" - great marketing to those who have to have it all. Their hope is this continues for months to come. In that he succeeded.

True enough, and I’m glad they shared their disappointment.

That said….haven’t the Disney decisions that truly create new Magic been relatively few and far between for a while now? For me the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time now, even pre-Chapek. Do they even teach Traditions anymore? Sounds like Oct 1 failed on three (Courtesy, Show, Capacity)….which is about what I would have expected. The OP wasn’t necessarily wrong to expect more from Disney, but the result doesn’t seem like a surprise at all.

I say this as someone who has been going to WDW for 30 years, owned DVC for 20, has a 50th trip planned next summer, and still loves the parks…..but the most realistic expectation of Disney anymore should be a degree of disappointment amongst the vestiges of Magic. Sure, even though they are doing their best to beat Six Flags and Universal at their games, Disney is still a cut above (for us)….but it ain’t what it used to be!

I agree, but I would have settled for just factual information! I was traveling with my sister, and she really wanted a 50th refillable mug. We were there 9/29-10/3 at BC. On our first day, we went straight to HS but stopped in the Marketplace in the evening to check for them - none there. We inquired and they said they weren't sure when they'd be in the store - we were tired so we didn't really inquire further. Next day, we ask again and they say they have NO IDEA when they will be in - it surprises us that they have no idea and we explain that we just want to know so we can decide if it's worth it to wait, or just buy them today since they won't swap them out. We ask a couple of CM and one in management, who tells us they have no idea where they are - nobody in all of WDW does!! They don't know where they are or if they "are in the middle of the sea!" I put that in quotes because that is actually what she said to us. She told us we should come down and check tomorrow (wink, wink!). I explain that by the time the Marketplace opens, we will (hopefully) be on a bus to MK. We end up just buying them then since we were spending the afternoon at the pool and we'd end up effectively losing two days of value on them if we wait.

And then, what do you know? There they are when we get back from MK the night of the 1st. Now, I have no problem with Disney making whatever decision they want to make regarding their mug debut. I do not think it is particularly guest friendly, since anyone that was specifically there for the 50th was probably already checked in by 9/30 to get an early start on the day, and may be off for the day by 7am when the Marketplace opened, but they can do whatever they want. However, I do doubt that Disney does not have some type of tracking process for such things. I feel like by the time we asked on 9/30, they could have given us a pretty accurate answer one way or the other on whether or not they'd be available the next day.

Just tell us the deal - it's just a mug! We can handle it! Maybe they think that works better for managing people that might want it before the 1st, but I'd rather just have a direct answer! It just seems so odd from a customer service perspective...

And then there's the bus thing. We get in Thursday night, and there's a message from the hotel phone that the buses will not be starting until 6-6:30am - I've seen other people post about it as well. We're early birds and were planning an early start anyway, if for nothing else I know how the bus stop can be, so we got down there at 5:40am just as a bus arrived. There were nine of us on it - later I heard there may have been a bus earlier than that. We were at the front of the rope drop crowd, which was great. We rode home on the bus with a woman that opted to leave a little later due to the message, and you can guess how that turned out - it had a snowball effect on her entire day and she was very disappointed. And I know some will say, well she should have known better than to trust them and I'm sure Disney has their reasons for how they did things, but that doesn't really sit well with me. People made an effort to be there for the 50th celebration on 10/1 because it had some meaning to them, I think it would be nice if they could trust the information given them by the resort to plan their day. I mean, it's not like she asked a CM and they gave her bad info, it was an automated message they sent to all guests...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter