Disney Enchantment is a hard fail and 1 OCT was a disaster

I watched some of the livestream from Friday and holy cow, the scene in the Emporium was a disaster. How did management NOT foresee it would be crowded? Instead of letting everybody in through all the doors and jam-packing the place to the rafters (creating a potentially dangerous crush), they should have:

- had ONE entrance open, and ONLY one. Open one of the back doors for an exit, and make it clear it's ONE-WAY ONLY.

- Stationed CMs AND security there, very visible, to make sure people know as soon as they enter that bad behavior is not allowed

- only let in a certain number of people at a time. They did this during COVID, it should have been easy to set up.

- had guide ropes up at check out

- had CLEAR signs limiting the number of items you can buy

-had security at the checkout equal to the number of cashiers to discourage eBay resellers from arguing/threatening/punching the cashiers

- capped the line outside at 200 or so to keep the line reasonable

Instead, it was a mob scene, and as one would expect the eBay resellers who could push their way to the front got just about everything.

I know Disney doesn't care as long as merch gets bought and they make their money, but they are VERY lucky nobody was seriously hurt at any of the venues where this nonsense was going on. As it was...it was not good.

Dear lord. Cheapek is brilliant at playing Disney fans for suckers.

Indeed he is, and he parlaying his tactics into quarterly profitability and thereby into a fatter bonus for himself.

The question is, what long-term damage is he doing? My DW and I have been Disney fans forever, and we reared 6 Disney kids and now 22 Disney grandkids. But we are struggling mightily to stay positive about Disney while Chapek does his thing. At some point goodwill is lost.

I hope both we and the Disney Magic survive his tenure. I wish he would go back to Heinz or J.W. Thompson.

Indeed he is, and he parlaying his tactics into quarterly profitability and thereby into a fatter bonus for himself.

The question is, what long-term damage is he doing? My DW and I have been Disney fans forever, and we reared 6 Disney kids and now 22 Disney grandkids. But we are struggling mightily to stay positive about Disney while Chapek does his thing. At some point goodwill is lost.

I hope both we and the Disney Magic survive his tenure. I wish he would go back to Heinz or J.W. Thompson.
Agreed.

I've said this before. Look at it this way. Many CEOs today are most interested in maximizing their salaries and bonuses. This today is Chapek. He has a 10 million dollar house. Can you imagine the taxes and maintenance? This is his primary concern. Not Disney. Disney is sacred to us but not to a sales and distribution man. When he walks away he will be very very rich and Disney can go to the devil. So what if the guest experience has deteriorated? No skin off of his nose. He's just thinking of his private plane and yacht. WDW for him is a tremendous piggy bank. Beyond that for him it is worthless.

I watched some of the livestream from Friday and holy cow, the scene in the Emporium was a disaster. How did management NOT foresee it would be crowded? Instead of letting everybody in through all the doors and jam-packing the place to the rafters (creating a potentially dangerous crush), they should have:

- had ONE entrance open, and ONLY one. Open one of the back doors for an exit, and make it clear it's ONE-WAY ONLY.

- Stationed CMs AND security there, very visible, to make sure people know as soon as they enter that bad behavior is not allowed

- only let in a certain number of people at a time. They did this during COVID, it should have been easy to set up.

- had guide ropes up at check out

- had CLEAR signs limiting the number of items you can buy

-had security at the checkout equal to the number of cashiers to discourage eBay resellers from arguing/threatening/punching the cashiers

- capped the line outside at 200 or so to keep the line reasonable

Instead, it was a mob scene, and as one would expect the eBay resellers who could push their way to the front got just about everything.

I know Disney doesn't care as long as merch gets bought and they make their money, but they are VERY lucky nobody was seriously hurt at any of the venues where this nonsense was going on. As it was...it was not good.
I was one of the people that stormed in, only because I HAD to watch the scene play out for myself. (Yes, part of me is still 12 years old, apparently.) It was pretty nerve wracking, to say the least. Hopefully (probably not but still hopeful that) security found and trespassed the 2 guests that literally dove for the starbucks cups and knocked over the poor CM in the process. She was holding back tears as we -- myself and the others who saw her -- forced a path open for her so she could get backstage.

What I suspect happened was the manager who was responsible for coordinating setting up the outside queue and VQ wasn't there yet, and didn't plan on the gates opening at 6:20am. Still, that should have been ready to go the night before.

I was one of the people that stormed in, only because I HAD to watch the scene play out for myself :lmao: It was pretty nerve wracking, though, to say the least. Hopefully (probably not but still hopeful that) security found and trespassed the 2 guests that literally dove for the starbucks cups and knocked over the poor CM in the process. She was holding back tears as we (myself and the others who saw her) forced a path open for her so she could get backstage.

What I suspect happened was the manager who was responsible for coordinating setting up the outside queue and VQ wasn't there yet, and didn't plan on the gates opening at 6:20am. Still, that should have been ready to go the night before.
Yes, not an excuse at all, but one of the CMs I talked to said that they opened the park before the CMs were told. After the first 30 minutes or so, things were much more organized.

Yes, not an excuse at all, but one of the CMs I talked to said that they opened the park before the CMs were told. After the first 30 minutes or so, things were much more organized.
Yeah, that was my thought, but that's still terrible coordination and planning. Good lord, they have the park pass reservation system. They know how many are coming and how quickly it booked up. They were obviously understaffed in food service.

But still, it was a great day. Would it have been nice to have some sort of dedication or ceremony on stage for the 50th? Yes. But then again, Chapek would probably have been booed so maybe it's juts as well they didn't. It wasn't about them anyway.

Yeah, that was my thought, but that's still terrible coordination and planning. Good lord, they have the park pass reservation system. They know how many are coming and how quickly it booked up. They were obviously understaffed in food service.

But still, it was a great day. Would it have been nice to have some sort of dedication or ceremony on stage for the 50th? Yes. But then again, Chapek would probably have been booed so maybe it's juts as well they didn't. It wasn't about them anyway.
Completely agree. It was a really great day. I am so happy I was able to make it.

True enough, and I’m glad they shared their disappointment.

That said….haven’t the Disney decisions that truly create new Magic been relatively few and far between for a while now? For me the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time now, even pre-Chapek. Do they even teach Traditions anymore? Sounds like Oct 1 failed on three (Courtesy, Show, Capacity)….which is about what I would have expected. The OP wasn’t necessarily wrong to expect more from Disney, but the result doesn’t seem like a surprise at all.

I say this as someone who has been going to WDW for 30 years, owned DVC for 20, has a 50th trip planned next summer, and still loves the parks…..but the most realistic expectation of Disney anymore should be a degree of disappointment amongst the vestiges of Magic. Sure, even though they are doing their best to beat Six Flags and Universal at their games, Disney is still a cut above (for us)….but it ain’t what it used to be!

To go pre-Chapek we would have to go 2014 and earlier in regards to the parks.

So what has he accomplished in the parks ....

- Wishes retired
- Heavenly Ever After began - cost lots less
- Heavenly Ever After retired
- Enchantment begins
- Illuminations retired
- Epcot Forever begins - cost lots less
- Epcot Forever ends
- Harmonious begins
- AK Jungle Water Show begins
- AK Jungle Water Show closes
- Rivers of Light begins
- Rivers of Light closed
- KiteTails "begins"
- Magic Kingdom night time parade retired
- Ongoing firing of live entertainers in parks
- Pandora opened but he had nothing to do with bringing that in
- DisneyQuest shuttered
- NBA Opened
- NBA shuttered
- Toy Story Land opened - a cookie cutter from other parks
- Galaxy's Edge partially opened - with a cut budget and cut plans
- Resort Management completely changed- working?
- Skyliner opens
- Great Movie Ride retired
- Mickey & Minnie Railway opens
- Rat Ride opens - duplicate of existing ride
- Many of the new promised projects cancelled or reduced
- Some attractions gone without replacements; Stitch, Primevil
- Add hotel parking fees
- Park Reservations required
- Cancelling of Parties in lieu of After Hours, meaning shorter park hours

STILL WAITING
- Tron moving at snails pace even though copycat of existing ride
- Guardians of the Galaxy also being slowed down
- New DVC cancelled
- Old hotels getting DVC conversions
- Starcruiser hotel $$$ high risk?
- Cancelling Magical Express
- PAID for FastPass

I'm sure I missed a few. My point ...... Chapek's job was and is ..... slash the investment into the parks while build the pay to play - Lightning Pass, upsells like dessert parties, create merchandise frenzy, increase hotel prices, increase dining prices while decreasing value, cancel parties and replace with After Hours which cost guests more while they spend less.

He was brought on to do this AND it will be his long term legacy leaving Iger and the board looking squeaky clean. Easy to not like the guy with zero personality, an obvious indifference to the parks and the one who ultimately took so much away. They had a MUCH better choice to take over for Iger and they let him walk out the door. Why? Because they knew Chapek would DisMart the parks. The question is, will their moves work out in the long run?

To go pre-Chapek we would have to go 2014 and earlier in regards to the parks.

So what has he accomplished in the parks ....

- Wishes retired
- Heavenly Ever After began - cost lots less
- Heavenly Ever After retired
- Enchantment begins
- Illuminations retired
- Epcot Forever begins - cost lots less
- Epcot Forever ends
- Harmonious begins
- AK Jungle Water Show begins
- AK Jungle Water Show closes
- Rivers of Light begins
- Rivers of Light closed
- KiteTails "begins"
- Magic Kingdom night time parade retired
- Ongoing firing of live entertainers in parks
- Pandora opened but he had nothing to do with bringing that in
- DisneyQuest shuttered
- NBA Opened
- NBA shuttered
- Toy Story Land opened - a cookie cutter from other parks
- Galaxy's Edge partially opened - with a cut budget and cut plans
- Resort Management completely changed- working?
- Skyliner opens
- Great Movie Ride retired
- Mickey & Minnie Railway opens
- Rat Ride opens - duplicate of existing ride
- Many of the new promised projects cancelled or reduced
- Some attractions gone without replacements; Stitch, Primevil
- Add hotel parking fees
- Park Reservations required
- Cancelling of Parties in lieu of After Hours, meaning shorter park hours

STILL WAITING
- Tron moving at snails pace even though copycat of existing ride
- Guardians of the Galaxy also being slowed down
- New DVC cancelled
- Old hotels getting DVC conversions
- Starcruiser hotel $$$ high risk?
- Cancelling Magical Express
- PAID for FastPass

I'm sure I missed a few. My point ...... Chapek's job was and is ..... slash the investment into the parks while build the pay to play - Lightning Pass, upsells like dessert parties, create merchandise frenzy, increase hotel prices, increase dining prices while decreasing value, cancel parties and replace with After Hours which cost guests more while they spend less.

He was brought on to do this AND it will be his long term legacy leaving Iger and the board looking squeaky clean. Easy to not like the guy with zero personality, an obvious indifference to the parks and the one who ultimately took so much away. They had a MUCH better choice to take over for Iger and they let him walk out the door. Why? Because they knew Chapek would DisMart the parks. The question is, will their moves work out in the long run?
How on Earth do you get that HEA costs lots less. I literally stopped reading after that because I thought it had to be a joke. Longer, more Pyro, projections. Like that can't be a serious comment.

Disney is sacred to us but not to a sales and distribution man. When he walks away he will be very very rich and Disney can go to the devil. So what if the guest experience has deteriorated? No skin off of his nose. He's just thinking of his private plane and yacht. WDW for him is a tremendous piggy bank. Beyond that for him it is worthless.
So very well stated.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Dis' take on the day, but from what I could see on live streams, the Disney management acted as though they had no idea people would care that much about the 50th. They let people in early to avoid crowd crush at the entrance (which could have been avoided by not letting people get there that early), and then put on an impromptu rope drop ceremony when they realized that they had to do SOMETHING to make people move on with their day. It really appeared to me that they had NO plans to do ANYTHING for the 50th at all. Say what you will about the 25th castle cake, at least that was a celebration.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Dis' take on the day, but from what I could see on live streams, the Disney management acted as though they had no idea people would care that much about the 50th. They let people in early to avoid crowd crush at the entrance (which could have been avoided by not letting people get there that early), and then put on an impromptu rope drop ceremony when they realized that they had to do SOMETHING to make people move on with their day. It really appeared to me that they had NO plans to do ANYTHING for the 50th at all. Say what you will about the 25th castle cake, at least that was a celebration.
The opening ceremony was announced several days in advance.

I was there and had an amazing day. Walked over from BLT around 7:00 am, saw the opening show and then walked on Pirates, Big Thunder and number of other rides. Had a lovely buffet lunch at Crystal Palace which I booked just a week or two before we left. We then took a break and went to AK and walked on every ride there, including Avatar, had a great dinner at Tiffins and then went back to Main Street to watch Enchantment (yes it was crowded for the show but I found a spot with an OK view and wasn't picky since I knew everyone would be there that night). I was blown away by what a great day I had. If you were there just to shop you had to have known it was going to be nuts, regardless of park reservations. Any limited time shopping is always nuts at WDW. There were things I wanted that I didn't get, but oh well. But the next day at Creations at Epcot they restocked some of the 10/1 stuff and I walked away very happy with a few things. If you told me that on 10/1 I could pretty much walk on any ready and just enjoy myself being in the MK I would have told you were nuts (I expect 4+ hour waits for everything and not being able to move or come and go as I please). Maybe people don't like the new shows and that can be expected but I thought 10/1 was the most magical day I have ever had at WDW and I have been there A LOT.

I was there and had an amazing day. Walked over from BLT around 7:00 am, saw the opening show and then walked on Pirates, Big Thunder and number of other rides. Had a lovely buffet lunch at Crystal Palace which I booked just a week or two before we left. We then took a break and went to AK and walked on every ride there, including Avatar, had a great dinner at Tiffins and then went back to Main Street to watch Enchantment (yes it was crowded for the show but I found a spot with an OK view and wasn't picky since I knew everyone would be there that night). I was blown away by what a great day I had. If you were there just to shop you had to have known it was going to be nuts, regardless of park reservations. Any limited time shopping is always nuts at WDW. There were things I wanted that I didn't get, but oh well. But the next day at Creations at Epcot they restocked some of the 10/1 stuff and I walked away very happy with a few things. If you told me that on 10/1 I could pretty much walk on any ready and just enjoy myself being in the MK I would have told you were nuts (I expect 4+ hour waits for everything and not being able to move or come and go as I please). Maybe people don't like the new shows and that can be expected but I thought 10/1 was the most magical day I have ever had at WDW and I have been there A LOT.
Glad to hear you had a great time! My mom and I also agreed that this whole trip has been by far our favorite Disney trip ever. And 10/1 has been my single favorite day.

It's awesome you had a great time but point remains there was no actual celebration at the World for the day. In fact I'd say the Magic was just in You ;)

I've said this before. Look at it this way. Many CEOs today are most interested in maximizing their salaries and bonuses. This today is Chapek. He has a 10 million dollar house. Can you imagine the taxes and maintenance? This is his primary concern. Not Disney. Disney is sacred to us but not to a sales and distribution man. When he walks away he will be very very rich and Disney can go to the devil. So what if the guest experience has deteriorated? No skin off of his nose. He's just thinking of his private plane and yacht. WDW for him is a tremendous piggy bank. Beyond that for him it is worthless.
This is not hyperbole: unfortunately, it's the current thinking for a lot of CEOs. I do not think it is sustainable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter