DisDad App recommendations

Due to Google's latest ad campaign, I'm on another anti-google stint. Before it wasn't a problem because I had an iphone and I could turn off google stuff. Now I have an android device. I can sell it but now that I'm on Sprint (still saving $100/mo compared to what I was spending) I can't just jump back to an iphone. That leaves me with the uncomfortable question of asking about WinMo based phones. I say uncomfortable because I used to have an HTC 8525 and it was the worst device I ever owned. I actually shelved it after I got a replacement that broke in the same way and left it in my drawer until my contract ended and I could upgrade to something else.

So, specifically related to WinMo 7 devices, here's my question:

1) How is it? I already have a zune account (we own three of them and $15/mo for unlimited downloads and 10 free songs is a no-brainer) so that's not an issue but I was curious how the phone was as a device for you.
2) Apps - how are they? Here's a list of the apps I use a lot - if you've used them, how are they?
Netflix
IMDB
ESV Bible (may not be released yet on this platform)
Firefox (see above)​
3) How is the calendar? I use mine ALL the time.
4) Camera - how is this? Mine is my backup camera when I don't want to lug around the dSLR. How is your camera? Do you have many options?
5) Email on multiple accounts. I use my phone to manage three email accounts separately. Just curious on how it handles this integration.
6) Battery life - my EVO sucks down the battery like a 3 yr old at the end of a chocolate shake. How does yours do?

I think that's it. I'd appreciate any input on this - I hate to have to move away from my new phone but I can't support a company that has wholly invested itself in a practice that I find morally objectionable. Regardless of your view on this, I have to stand for what I believe in and if that means transforming the way I live my life then so be it.

I like the Talking Tom app, for both Iphones and Android. Great fun and the Grandkids love it.

Due to Google's latest ad campaign, I'm on another anti-google stint. Before it wasn't a problem because I had an iphone and I could turn off google stuff. Now I have an android device. I can sell it but now that I'm on Sprint (still saving $100/mo compared to what I was spending) I can't just jump back to an iphone. That leaves me with the uncomfortable question of asking about WinMo based phones. I say uncomfortable because I used to have an HTC 8525 and it was the worst device I ever owned. I actually shelved it after I got a replacement that broke in the same way and left it in my drawer until my contract ended and I could upgrade to something else.

So, specifically related to WinMo 7 devices, here's my question:

1) How is it? I already have a zune account (we own three of them and $15/mo for unlimited downloads and 10 free songs is a no-brainer) so that's not an issue but I was curious how the phone was as a device for you.
2) Apps - how are they? Here's a list of the apps I use a lot - if you've used them, how are they?
Netflix
IMDB
ESV Bible (may not be released yet on this platform)
Firefox (see above)​
3) How is the calendar? I use mine ALL the time.
4) Camera - how is this? Mine is my backup camera when I don't want to lug around the dSLR. How is your camera? Do you have many options?
5) Email on multiple accounts. I use my phone to manage three email accounts separately. Just curious on how it handles this integration.
6) Battery life - my EVO sucks down the battery like a 3 yr old at the end of a chocolate shake. How does yours do?

I think that's it. I'd appreciate any input on this - I hate to have to move away from my new phone but I can't support a company that has wholly invested itself in a practice that I find morally objectionable. Regardless of your view on this, I have to stand for what I believe in and if that means transforming the way I live my life then so be it.
I went through several 8525's when they were the standard issue device for my team. I updated to a fuse after that which was a little better. When I left MSFT WinMo7 was still in dev land, so I don't have much first hand experience with it. I sat next to a Nokia dev that was running it on one of his devices on my most recent flight. I specifically asked how it Calendar functionality worked and he had lots of good thigns to say about it.

I went through several 8525's when they were the standard issue device for my team. I updated to a fuse after that which was a little better. When I left MSFT WinMo7 was still in dev land, so I don't have much first hand experience with it. I sat next to a Nokia dev that was running it on one of his devices on my most recent flight. I specifically asked how it Calendar functionality worked and he had lots of good thigns to say about it.
I played with a WinMo7 phone on Friday - it's pretty nice. IloMilo runs very well.

Hi all...such great recommendations. I love all of them.

For the iPad, one I use a lot and I didn't see mentioned..though I admittedly may have missed it - there was so much great information..is Zite

Zite is an article/blog accumulator that you can customize to your interests. You can select from a preloaded list of topics and then add your own customized. It brings them together in an easy to flip through 'personal magazine' that allows you to read up on topics that YOU are interested in without having to go out and find it all yourself. The best part is that as you read articles, you tell it whether you like it or not and what topics within the article that you like and it 'learns' your main interests and starts putting more of those articles in there. I love it and read it once a day.

Thanks for all the other good suggestions. My app expenditures for the month just went up!!!

Hi all...such great recommendations. I love all of them.

For the iPad, one I use a lot and I didn't see mentioned..though I admittedly may have missed it - there was so much great information..is Zite

Zite is an article/blog accumulator that you can customize to your interests. You can select from a preloaded list of topics and then add your own customized. It brings them together in an easy to flip through 'personal magazine' that allows you to read up on topics that YOU are interested in without having to go out and find it all yourself. The best part is that as you read articles, you tell it whether you like it or not and what topics within the article that you like and it 'learns' your main interests and starts putting more of those articles in there. I love it and read it once a day.

Thanks for all the other good suggestions. My app expenditures for the month just went up!!!

Interesting, I'll have to look that one up. Thanks :thumbsup2

Apps! A passion of mine.

Some of my most used apps - Netflix and HBOGo. Use both of these during my lunch breaks :)

Games not already mentioned - Dr. Awesome, Fragger (kinda similar to Angry Birds), Flight Control

Some utility apps - Addometer (does feet and inches calcs), Units (conversions)

All you Dads that own the EVO 4G.....

Sprint is finally updating us to Android 2.3!

Starting tomorrow you can check for the update on your device. Settings--->System Updates--->HTC Software Update

Otherwise there will be an over the air roll-out starting the 6th.

Maybe this will help with some of the battery life issues! :thumbsup2

All you Dads that own the EVO 4G.....

Sprint is finally updating us to Android 2.3!

Starting tomorrow you can check for the update on your device. Settings--->System Updates--->HTC Software Update

Otherwise there will be an over the air roll-out starting the 6th.

Maybe this will help with some of the battery life issues! :thumbsup2

I've been watching this with baited breath.

Where did that phrase originate, "baited breath"? You gotta admit it is pretty awkward.

Where did that phrase originate, "baited breath"? You gotta admit it is pretty awkward.

So glad you asked Greg!

Some wiki for you:

"To moderate or restrain (a variation of "abate"): to bate one's enthusiasm, and, "to lessen or diminish," and "with bated breath - in a state of suspenseful anticipation."

"Bated breath" has been around a long time. Here's the first cite in the Oxford English Dictionary: "1596 Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 'With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse.'"

So there you have it....we can thank good ole' Mr. Shakespeare!

I thought this thread was about food. . . .

Please refrain from using "App" in reference to "Application". You have a bunch of bacon-loving food-heads reading this stuff. I'm now starving because of the thread title. Thanks. :thumbsup2

Cheers,
Indy

hey guys, I am trying to figgure out an app.....I heard Howard Stern talking about it.....
It was called 'story board' or somethinig along that.....What it does is combines your facebook, twitter and a few others and presents it like a magizine....any one ever hear of it? or have a proper name?

hey guys, I am trying to figgure out an app.....I heard Howard Stern talking about it.....
It was called 'story board' or somethinig along that.....What it does is combines your facebook, twitter and a few others and presents it like a magizine....any one ever hear of it? or have a proper name?

Flipboard

So glad you asked Greg!

Some wiki for you:

"To moderate or restrain (a variation of "abate"): to bate one's enthusiasm, and, "to lessen or diminish," and "with bated breath - in a state of suspenseful anticipation."

"Bated breath" has been around a long time. Here's the first cite in the Oxford English Dictionary: "1596 Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 'With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse.'"

So there you have it....we can thank good ole' Mr. Shakespeare!

I knew it was "bated" after I typed it but I was busy so I didn't fix it. Doy.

Anyway, I'm now INSTALLING gingerbread. I'll let you know if it bricks mah phone Evo.

I knew it was "bated" after I typed it but I was busy so I didn't fix it. Doy.

Anyway, I'm now INSTALLING gingerbread. I'll let you know if it bricks mah phone Evo.

Didn't Brick mine....but I was let down ....no update to HTC Sense!

We'll see if it makes a difference in power consumption.

knew my dads would know it!
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter