Disboutiquers Part 28 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

What on earth?!?!?! We not only MOVED, but y'all are on page three??? And all in 3 hours time???? :scared1:

Oh well, I'm here! Thanks for the Facebook tag, Michelle!!! :hug:

Hi! I feel priviledged to make my first move with you guys.

I haven't been on in 3 days because i have been trying to sew a skirt and enjoy some beautiful 60 and 70 degree weather in northern Minnesota.

I need to go back to the other thread and catch up.

Here is what i was working on and have sworn off making another one for a few months. All the while my 9 year old is begging for one. I am going to try and figure out how to make this into a skort so Abbeigh can wear it to school.

c0155d8c-1.jpg

Just a drive by "Hello" to all you awesome sew-ers:thumbsup2
Its been forever since I have been on the boards and even longer since I have seem my sewing machine..... :sad1:
My sewing room became DS8 bedroom last June, and I still haven't gotten things re-organized - oh bother

But I made it to our local Sew Expo a few weeks back, and of course bought fabric... of course! How can you not :confused3
You guys are an inspiration!

DD5 and I head to DL tomorrow!!!

Sorry no advice, but I've had that happen a few times, but usually because I didn't hoop it right. But I always finish what ever I am embroidering because I am afraid that can happen.

Thanks I still think I have about 12 more days:scared:

:rotfl2:

AND This probably got lost in the move I'll repost one more time:rolleyes1

Thanks for Facebook tag, Michelle! Not sure where your fabulous shirts pictures went to :confused3 But OMG! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! Where did you get those designs???????? And is that fabric from Just Fabrics? Love it!

Thanks for posting on Facebook about the move!! Maybe now I can stay caught up on the Dis! :) Happy Saturday Y'all.

Yay! Beth made it! Now you can try to stay caught up!!! It's a whole new thread!

I am here. I finished all the appliques for 2 skirts.

I miss having a seperate embroidery machine right now but mine should be home Monday or Tuesday.

Now to do some sewing.

Pictures? Which two skirts are you working on right now???

Did I make page 2????

Yay!!! I did! Whoot! Present and accounted for... Marianne - are you here yet?

D~

No - Marianne was NOT here yet :sad2: Marianne was, however, having a grand time at a St. Patrick's Day Party at her friends Carainn & Barry O'Reilly's house with an authentic array of Irish dishes cooked up by Carainn herself. We played a trivia game and my team of two came in 2nd place! :woohoo:

I promise, no one told me a thing. I honestly just came by to comment on some things that I saw earlier in the day and didn't get a chance to. You all are slow pokes -- if I waited until page 20 it would be the end of the month!

MICHELLE: I :lovestrucLOVE:lovestruc your shirts!!!! I think Daisy is my favorite! I adore the fabrics you found for the shorts and skirt. Absolutely impeccable :love:

BETH: I can't even remember if I commented on the superhero cape pic but it's awesome!

I also love the updated Cindy and Pocahontas. And I love that your dd is really smiling in the Cindy dress so she must be really happy with the updates.

DIANE: That is a good ides to put elastic in the neckline of a lettuced neck. Now I have to go back and look at your pics!
thank you they were diffently a labor of love...just to see there faces! and so many thank yous! only one kid didn't like his color [ i didn't give them a choice becaus ei knew i'd have whining and it would take forever! plus one of my classroom rule sis 'ya get what'cha get and ya don't pitch a fit!'] i divided them by size then just went by our growth chart we did a few weeks ago and worte name son the bottoms...everyone was happy! excpt afore mentioned kid who is a pain,hehe one of those smart kids ,could of passed kg thi syear,i teach pre-k...but he is also a smart ^&* and has a potty mouth,has other teacher snowed,she terehtens to tell mom but then he turns on the tears and she caves...hehe onlyher second year and has no kids so no real clue how tey work...lol
sorry to go sooo far off topic..but thank you fro the comment on the capes...i am really proud of them,not them per-say but how they mae the class feel!

Catching up...

Finished a little outfit today! Here's my DD modeling for me (just a tad big for her...)

th_photo2.jpg

th_photo1.jpg

:hippie:

This is just so cute! Great job! What pattern is that?

I was going to sew up a bag for DD's cheerleading stuff, but I had this top cut (Simplicity 2971) and realized it would be cute with the pants I recently made (which I can finally wear to work since it will about 80 tomorrow).

423960_2798984173842_1235641305_32197909_1511223563_n.jpg

The top *might* end up coming to Disney, but probably not because I think I'd bake in it being a poly-lycra ITY knit. The pants are Colette Pattern's Clover pants pattern. I'd seen a lot of rave reviews for these on Pattern Review and I love them - very easy to make and the fit is great.

...and then I need to find several extra hours this weekend to write test question (a side job, but very well-paying - aka Disney $$$). I am hoping this summer when time is not so crazy I could work in some Big Give sewing, but right now, I am too swamped.

I really love that outfit! It's so stylish and bright, but looks completely comfortable, too! I'm also very curious about your test question job! I'm a former school teacher turned SAHM and homeschool teacher. If you can share, I'd love to know more!

This isn't techincally Disney. I am trying to use it to convince my hubby that I NEED an embroidery machine for my 30th that is coming up, so I am sewing these tshirt dresses to show him how empty it looks up top. If I had an embroidery machine, Minnie or Mickey would be on the black part.

th_blacktshirt.jpg

That is really cute! Good luck with the convincing!

Here is what I worked on today. First up is another upcycled dress:
th_P3160251.jpg

Then some of the knit fabric that I ordered off of Etsy arrived, along with the fold over elastic that I ordered. This was my first time using fold over elastic. I really like it. I will definitely be using it more in the future. They didn't carry it in Joanns but I was able to find a ton of really cute colors and patterns on Etsy and Ebay.
th_P3160252.jpg

Those are both really cute! I've never seen that elastic before. Thanks for the tip!

here is my first attempt at a you can make this pattern I am really happy with how it turned out
marshacamera2011-2012175.jpg

Very pretty! The shirring is very nice!

hello all ,gotta go back and catch up on some post but i wanted to share these pix while i was online...i finished all the SuperHero capes and gave them to the kids in my class to celebrate our lil friend who had his cerebellum operated on almost 3 weeks ago,he's back in school and right as rain! so good to have him back and the kids loved their capes and couldn't wit to take them home!
423199_10150612933596586_555471585_9396383_1953366654_n.jpg

thanks for looking ~Beth~

That is one of the cutest pics I've seen in a long time! I'll bet it was a hoot to see all those kiddos running around playing Super Hero!

So I have finished another day...The day that we eat at the San Angel Inn and hunt down Senor Donald.

429011_379994245353182_366965016656105_1390511_2004326498_n.jpg

Those are all wonderful, Michelle! And, so unique! Are those from Sweet Peas Place and no longer available?

The updated Cinderella:

th_IMAG0310.jpg

And Pocahontas:

th_IMAG0308.jpg

Great job on the Cindy redo, and Pocahontas is really cute, too! Your kids are going to look great in all the beautiful dresses you've done!

Nini - lots of prayers for dd and dgd! I'm glad to hear both surgeries went well!

I'm still plugging away at the nursing covers. I moved more into mass production mode. I cut all the rest out over several nights last week. Since they are two fabrics, I've gotten all the seaming done, and am now working on serging the edges of 48 rectangles. It's pretty tedious but I'm enjoying watching Alias while I sew. :) I think I'll be doing a large mom-to-mom sale on May 19th, so I've got to keep plugging away.

Regards,
C.

HERE! My post is going to be a bit jumbled because I tried to pick up some quotes before the jump but I also had things to comment on from this thread...

I am here. I finished all the appliques for 2 skirts.

I miss having a seperate embroidery machine right now but mine should be home Monday or Tuesday.

Now to do some sewing.

WOO HOO! Can't wait to see what you've been working on! I'm sorry you're starting to feel pressed for time but don't forget that means you're that much closer to being in WDW!!!

New subscriber here. I'm very much looking forward to seeing all the creative talent within the thread .

WELCOME! If you make anything, please post some pictures as I love oogleing over them.

th_IMAG0310.jpg
th_IMAG0308.jpg

Thanks! DD is definitely much happier with eh Cinderella dress. I think I like it better, too!

The Pocahontas dress dress was so easy to make and I love how it turned out. Glad I had all that extra Lastin from my diaper making days. I knew it would come in handy eventually.

I love the idea of the FOE on tank tops. I still have some also from my diaper sewing days.

HA HA HA! I had to LOL about your "diaper sewing days". That was actually what got me into sewing in the first place! Now I'm "branching" out into garment construction and I keep wondering what ever took me so long to do so! SO glad that your DD is happier with the revamped Cindy dress and LOVE how Pocahontas came out.

SO cute! I can totally see why your DD wants you to make another one!

I'm still plugging away at the nursing covers. I moved more into mass production mode. I cut all the rest out over several nights last week. Since they are two fabrics, I've gotten all the seaming done, and am now working on serging the edges of 48 rectangles. It's pretty tedious but I'm enjoying watching Alias while I sew. :) I think I'll be doing a large mom-to-mom sale on May 19th, so I've got to keep plugging away.

Regards,
C.

WOO HOO for PROGRESS! I've found the assembly-line method to be the most productive whenever I have a lot of the same item to sew. If you don't mind sharing, I'd LOVE to see a pic of them all completed together.

I ended up buying a newer version of my old iron - so another Sunbeam - they had it at COSTCO for $29.98 or whatever the change was. So far, so good!

HURRAY for a new iron! And glad you had a good evening.

This weekend I will be organizing my space and making room for my new babies and a proper fabric stash when they come home on Monday.....I'll have a lot of washing drying pressing to do next week. I'll take pictures to share!

Eeep! I can't WAIT to see pictures! Gosh I'm so excited FOR you and all your new goodies, I can't even imagine how I would feel if I WAS you!

Here is what I worked on today. First up is another upcycled dress:
th_P3160251.jpg
th_P3160252.jpg

Both dresses came out great!

here is my first attempt at a you can make this pattern I am really happy with how it turned out
th_marshacamera2011-2012175.jpg

SO CUTE! I love the alphabet fabric. You did a great job on the shirring. Well done!

I cleaned up my fabric stash and rotated winter fabrics out and spring/summer stuff into my main "active" fabric queue. I cut the part of DD's Easter dress that needs to be smocked out of white linen and will take it to be pleated tomorrow.

I am so jealous! The only thing keeping me from having a MAJOR fabric addiction is the fact that I have no place to store it all! Sounds like you have a handy system in place though. Can't wait to see the Easter dress.

They make perfume free fabric softener sheets -- I use them for my dd as her skin is quite sensitive as well and she has no problems with them. I can't use fabric softener with her. I also wash in Ivory.

You can also use 1cp. of white vinegar in the rinse cycle as a natural fabric softener. It doesn't leave ANY smell behind and is very gentle for sensitive skin.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-6131-babies-sportswear.aspx

I want to make a romper/overalls out of a cotton Mickey fabric I got for my son... I found the pattern above is there any way I can make it so that the front and back piece are a solid piece of fabric and don't have the seam down the middle of the outfit? Like make the seams on the sides not the front and back.

I hope that makes since. You are all amazing with a sewing machine and I hope you can help me out.

TYIA

I agree with Sandi, just find some fabric you don't mind wasting and do a mock up and see how it goes.

Quick drive by post....

Grand Princess had a very successful surgery yesterday. It ended up lasting over an hour longer than we thought it would. They had to put a longer rod than they were expecting to (not sure why) and they had to put 2 pins in her ankle rather than one(again I don't know why) But the surgeon said they had a perfect angle on the foot and ankle and her foot is now perfectly straight. There is a 99% chance they won't have to do it again!

Nini

Glad the surgery went so well! Fingers crossed that she won't need any more work done on her foot.

hello all ,gotta go back and catch up on some post but i wanted to share these pix while i was online...i finished all the SuperHero capes and gave them to the kids in my class to celebrate our lil friend who had his cerebellum operated on almost 3 weeks ago,he's back in school and right as rain! so good to have him back and the kids loved their capes and couldn't wit to take them home!
423199_10150612933596586_555471585_9396383_1953366654_n.jpg

and here is the super Isaac pj/play set i made for my dd's friend who is headed to wdw in 10 days! 1st trip and kids have no clue,they think they are going to Texas since they are gong with g'parents and g'parents mom lives there...lol Isaac is into any and all super heros and wears a pillowcase cape with pride...so i made him his own,i had the fabric in my stash,i think it was a toddler bed top sheet...thrift store find of course...anyway here it is,just a simple sewn on emblem on tee and cape...

423199_10150612933691586_555471585_9396388_795965510_n.jpg

thanks for looking ~Beth~

WOW look at all those capes! I mean, I saw you post them the other day, but to see an action shot really shows just how many you had to make! Glad the kiddos all seemed to like them and Super Isaac's outfit is too cute!

So I have finished another day...The day that we eat at the San Angel Inn and hunt down Senor Donald.

429011_379994245353182_366965016656105_1390511_2004326498_n.jpg

423874_379994218686518_366965016656105_1390510_263941779_n.jpg

423742_379994292019844_366965016656105_1390512_120844257_n.jpg

423900_379994318686508_366965016656105_1390513_2006062179_n.jpg

Oh my gosh I think I'm GAGA over the Daisy one! What fun fabrics you found! Your family will look FANTASTIC in them and I KNOW Donald will be so excited when you all catch up with him!

My ILs left today. we had a great visit and I'm sad to see them go. But tomorrow I'm headed out to visit my gma and gpa. My mother is supposed to go too (she lives half the country away from me) so I'm excited I will get to see her and my kids are excited that they have another week of being spoiled! Fortunately for me, my gma is the one who taught me how to sew in the first place so she won't mind one bit if I take over her machine(s) while I'm there. I spent the night cutting out several projects so all I'll need to do is sew them up once there.

Sunshine

I haven't been on in 3 days because i have been trying to sew a skirt and enjoy some beautiful 60 and 70 degree weather in northern Minnesota.

Here is what i was working on and have sworn off making another one for a few months. All the while my 9 year old is begging for one. I am going to try and figure out how to make this into a skort so Abbeigh can wear it to school.

th_c0155d8c-1.jpg
Beautiful! Once you make one the rest are easier. What is time consuming for me is I embellish many of the squares. Is your dd allowed to wear bike shorts under skirts rather than a skort? I just have my dd wear knit shorts with her dresses and skirts. And this year I have FIVE pairs of leggings that have knee holes in them (from playing cat with her friends at recess) that I'm turning into shorts. Did I mention that one pair was the first day she wore them when they came home with a gigantic hole?

You can also use 1cp. of white vinegar in the rinse cycle as a natural fabric softener. It doesn't leave ANY smell behind and is very gentle for sensitive skin.

My ILs left today. we had a great visit and I'm sad to see them go. But tomorrow I'm headed out to visit my gma and gpa. My mother is supposed to go too (she lives half the country away from me) so I'm excited I will get to see her and my kids are excited that they have another week of being spoiled! Fortunately for me, my gma is the one who taught me how to sew in the first place so she won't mind one bit if I take over her machine(s) while I'm there. I spent the night cutting out several projects so all I'll need to do is sew them up once there.

Sunshine
I actually forgot to mention that I do use white vinegar for my fabric softener in the wash. I read to try it to soften up some stiff fabric I bought and Marianne told me she used it all the time for fabric softener so I started to as well.

Have a great visit with your GP's and your mom!

I love those!!! Where did you get the embroidery designs?

:goodvibes Thanks it is from Bows & Clothes

I promise, no one told me a thing. I honestly just came by to comment on some things that I saw earlier in the day and didn't get a chance to. You all are slow pokes -- if I waited until page 20 it would be the end of the month!

:rotfl2:

MICHELLE: I :lovestrucLOVE:lovestruc your shirts!!!! I think Daisy is my favorite! I adore the fabrics you found for the shorts and skirt. Absolutely impeccable :love:

:goodvibes Thanks Andrea

Lol I wear my Disney outfits at home too (I even wear them to work).

Wow! I really hope that you will be able to track down Donald!

Actually DH wears one of his Disney shirts each Friday to school. It now has become a ritual and his students can't wait to see what he will be wearing.

As for finding Donald... it wont be an option or a Mega Meltdown will happen. We keep promising him that we will go look for him on the first full day:scared: So hopefully the Disney gods will be on my side.:lmao:

Oh well, I'm here! Thanks for the Facebook tag, Michelle!!! :hug:
:thumbsup2

th_c0155d8c-1.jpg

Very cute... Carla C has some skirt patterns that also include adding a skort.

Thanks for Facebook tag, Michelle! Not sure where your fabulous shirts pictures went to :confused3 But OMG! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM! Where did you get those designs???????? And is that fabric from Just Fabrics? Love it!

:goodvibes Thanks... I purchased the fabric form FABRIC.com and it was on sale when I purchased it too:cool1: The designs are from Bows & Clothes though I think they only come in 5x7 & 6x10:sad2:

Those are all wonderful, Michelle! And, so unique! Are those from Sweet Peas Place and no longer available?

C.

Actually they are from Bows & Clothes and sometimes her designs can be off but these sewed up fine, however I did purchase a whole bunch from Sweet Peas Place a week before she took all her characters off. It was one time I am glad I didn't wait.:confused:

Oh my gosh I think I'm GAGA over the Daisy one! What fun fabrics you found! Your family will look FANTASTIC in them and I KNOW Donald will be so excited when you all catch up with him!

Sunshine

:goodvibes Thanks and also thank you for the post on the vinegar I never knew that about using it as a natural fabric softener.

Thank you Sunshine. the girls will tell you I function better in stressed out sewing mode.

It will get done and honestly I have mostly everything cut out.

Okay some one who has made pockets for easy fits I have a question.

I want do put an applique on one of Js pairs. Did you cut to size first or after you put the applique on.

Ugh - sorry I took so long to find out we moved! Had a camp promise Fund Raiser right after Tigger's puppy class yesterday. Didnt get home till late last night!

I want do put an applique on one of Js pairs. Did you cut to size first or after you put the applique on.

I haven't appliqued the pockets yet. But I would think it would be better to applique first and then cut.

th_c0155d8c-1.jpg

Great job on the patchwork twirl! It is very easy to make a skirt pattern into a pair of skorts. I use the Easy Fits as the base for the shorts. I think 1.5 inches is the waistband allowance for the shorts. I then make sure that there is the same waistband allowance for the skirt part. I would then sew the waistband area of the two pieces together as if you are making a reversible skirt using 1/2" seam allowance. Flip the skorts so that both pieces are right side out, and then sew 1" below the top of the skorts as your elastic casing, leaving space for elastic insertion. Finish the casing after the elastic has been inserted and fitted. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if it helps to see a picture of a finished product. I am sure I can find a picture somewhere.

Regards,
C.

Good luck with the nursing covers. I find sewing in an assembly line fashion is the most efficient way to sew, so I often ended up doing 2 or more of the same piece of clothing at the same time! I actually just bought a nursing cover pattern from ymct recently as I am in the "everyone I know is having a baby" stage of my life. The nursing cover (if I know they plan to breastfeed), bibs and burps will be my standard baby shower gifts for a while. At least this means "everyone I know is getting married" stage is just about over :rotfl:

Thank you Sunshine. the girls will tell you I function better in stressed out sewing mode.

It will get done and honestly I have mostly everything cut out.

Applique first and then cut the pocket. Keep in mind that if you want a flap on the pocket you will want the applique a little lower on the square so the flap doesn't cover it. I used 4x4 for the pockets. HTH.

I made it finally. Thanks goodness for fb! I can't promise to stay caught up, but I'm going to give it a shot this time.

Actually they are from Bows & Clothes and sometimes her designs can be off but these sewed up fine, however I did purchase a whole bunch from Sweet Peas Place a week before she took all her characters off. It was one time I am glad I didn't wait.:confused:

Like Sweet Pea on FB and request to join the Behind the Scenes group - that's how I was able to get add to the access for her "special" designs. I bought quite a few and added them to my sewing planning document.

I'm also very curious about your test question job! I'm a former school teacher turned SAHM and homeschool teacher. If you can share, I'd love to know more!

My state (NC) employs teachers to work on test development for both state testing and a test prep service provided through NCState. It's pretty lucrative - esp. considering the time involved and amount of annoyance in the task, but you have to be actively teaching to get started with them. I found out about it through state mailings to department leads. I would have no idea how else to go about finding this type of gig.

I'm actually highly opposed to multiple choice testing as the be-all and end-all of education,which it has turned into. On the other hand, if there are going to be people making a profit off this nonsense, then I say if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Besides it makes affording Disney a lot easier.:rotfl2:

Like Sweet Pea on FB and request to join the Behind the Scenes group - that's how I was able to get add to the access for her "special" designs. I bought quite a few and added them to my sewing planning document.

ok, I give up! How do I go about doing this? I cannot figure out what her facebook name is, I tried everything. I went to the website and "liked" it from there, but that's not right either! I loved her stuff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter