DIS/Dreams Unlimited China Adventure Oct 14th - 25th 2017 SOLD OUT!!!

Kevin (Cousin Orville), I thought I remembered you saying you are from Houston. Just checking in to see if you and your family are okay?

Thanks for thinking of us. Yes, we're getting slammed here in Houston. We're in Pearland just south of Houston. We've been very lucky that we haven't had any flooding in our home or offices and we still have power. Most of the streets around here are flooded. Many friends of mine have flooding in their homes. A friend's daughter had a med emergency last night and had to be airlifted by the Coast Guard to the med center. It's just frustrating. We need it to stop raining.

Kevin, we are all thinking about you, Kate, Mike and Christy Holland hoping that this stops soon. Did anyone see the news that Hong Kong was hit with a typhoon over the weekend? Some recreational lake area at Hong Kong Disneyland was closed and the park didn't open until 4pm on Saturday. Christopher Martin posted that he was at the park yesterday on Facebook and except for some rain, was enjoying the rides. There hasn't been any coverage of this here since so much is going on with Harvey.

We are legally able to enter China, our visas have arrived. They won't know what hit them once my family enters the country. :rotfl2:

Chris

Thanks for thinking of us. Yes, we're getting slammed here in Houston. We're in Pearland just south of Houston. We've been very lucky that we haven't had any flooding in our home or offices and we still have power. Most of the streets around here are flooded. Many friends of mine have flooding in their homes. A friend's daughter had a med emergency last night and had to be airlifted by the Coast Guard to the med center. It's just frustrating. We need it to stop raining.
We are praying for the rain to stop, and for everyone to remain safe. I'm friends with Mike and Christy of FB, so knew they are safe, but wasn't sure about you guys.

Good news Chris! Yeah!

Well now I feel left out. The U.K. And Canada have received their boxes but I have not in Alabama. I do have my visa which is the most important. Time to start watching the weather trends so I can decide what to pack.

Ok, I have a confession to make. I do not understand what a VPN is. Is it an app? A physical thing? Does it go on your phone? I don't get it. I know that I need something. I can survive without posting pics for 2 weeks (probably) but I have to have a way to communicate with my kids and for my parents to reach me. John mentioned a tunnelbear thing on the DU ABD questions podcast. Is that a VPN or something different?

On a happier note, here's some info on shopping! Good thing luggage is cheaper there as I may need to buy an extra suitcase for all of my silks and pearls :rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

https://www.chinahighlights.com/hong-kong/shopping/street-markets.htm

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/shopping.htm

https://www.chinahighlights.com/shanghai/shopping.htm

Laurie

@Sarabi's Cubs - This youtube video may help answer your question: Using VPN IN CHINA! Isn't It Illegal??

In a nutshell:
A VPN is a method of connecting to the internet that makes it look like your computer or phone is in another country - not China. Therefore it allows you to sidestep the Great Firewall of China.

Most VPN's are subscription based (buy it for 30 days) and come with a downloadable app for your phone or laptop to make it user friendly. I will be using ExpressVPN because that's what I used in China a few years ago and a friend reported using it successfully a few months ago in China. But there are many VPN services, and they basically work the same.

To use ExpressVPN, you can go to their website and "get ExpressVPN now". It walks you through the installation on you laptop/phone. I'm sure other services are similar. I'll wait until a week or so before we leave to start my subscription.

The box arrived today, sorry Chandra. I looked at the information on tunnel bear, the VPN that John mentioned, and as near as I can tell, it works in Japan and Hong Kong but China was not listed:scared1:

Chris

The box arrived today, sorry Chandra. I looked at the information on tunnel bear, the VPN that John mentioned, and as near as I can tell, it works in Japan and Hong Kong but China was not listed:scared1:

Chris

You probably wouldn't need a VPN for Japan or HK... just China.

Don't forget to contact the ABD vacationistas with the Chinese visa numbers and expiration dates.

Chris

ARGH!!! :mad::mad::mad: This visa application might end me. After all the hassle of filling out the online form that was posted on the Chinese consulate website, I decided to check back to see what the next step is. I thought that I should have heard back from them. The instructions said that I'd have to make an appointment to go into the office, so I started that procedure. Got a message that the Vancouver office doesn't make appointments...just come in and wait. While poking around on the Chinese consulate website to find the office hours and address, I found a link for the Website of the Chinese Visa Application Service Center. I clicked on that, and it took me to a completely separate website for an office/service similar to the one you all have been using. I phoned that office, and they said that I can't apply for the visa via the Chinese consulate website, and that I have to use this website. She said that they've been authorized by the Chinese government to process visas. Now what do I do? I've started the process via this new website. NOTE: This is the website that someone directed me to previously. And therefore, I probably should have gone that route when it was suggested. I just want it over!

ARGH!!! :mad::mad::mad: This visa application might end me. After all the hassle of filling out the online form that was posted on the Chinese consulate website, I decided to check back to see what the next step is. I thought that I should have heard back from them. The instructions said that I'd have to make an appointment to go into the office, so I started that procedure. Got a message that the Vancouver office doesn't make appointments...just come in and wait. While poking around on the Chinese consulate website to find the office hours and address, I found a link for the Website of the Chinese Visa Application Service Center. I clicked on that, and it took me to a completely separate website for an office/service similar to the one you all have been using. I phoned that office, and they said that I can't apply for the visa via the Chinese consulate website, and that I have to use this website. She said that they've been authorized by the Chinese government to process visas. Now what do I do? I've started the process via this new website. NOTE: This is the website that someone directed me to previously. And therefore, I probably should have gone that route when it was suggested. I just want it over!
Ugh! I'm so sorry for the frustration. Know we all feel the "Visa pain" with you. I keep telling myself that maybe this whole visa process will be the worst thing that happens on this trip, and once everyone is approved we will have smooth sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter