Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Barbara - how did your visit with the surgeon go? Do you have a surgery date? Thinking of you and sending prayers

Peg and Pats mom - thinking of you both too and hope your treatments are bearable

C., the teen girl starts her radiation tomm. We are suppose to have a little party for her tues. night at our church. I dont know if I can go but I am sending a gift.

The girl who's baby shower I went to is being watched really closely as the cord is wrapped around the babys neck They said they might want to do a c section If that was me I would want that baby out asap. Our lst ds had the cord wrapped around his neck twice and it was really scary.

This thread is so quiet.

How is everyone doing?

I am dong laundry as dh is leaving tomm. for a week in calif. and seattle. At least he will be here for 4th of July.

Its a heat wave here. Glad I am staying inside in the nice ac.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all

Things have been really hectic here. Kendall got her first full time teaching position. She will be teaching 6th grade Ancient History and 7th grade Civics at a Charter school in Orlando. The school is located on the other side of town, so she will be moving to her first apartment on August 6th. We've been trying to figure out what she will do about furniture, dishes, etc. while she is trying to get a jump start on planning for her classes. She will start new teacher bootcamp the last week of July. Wild and crazy! That's our house!

I'm doing fine. Still having the taste issue and a little achy mid-week after each chemo, but feeling pretty good. I had my 7th Taxol this morning. Only 5 chemos left! Yes!

I talked to the doctor about radiation. I will have another PET scan after I finish the chemo and before I start radiation. The doctor told me that I should expect to be tired (what else is knew), but things shouldn't be bad. I'll just be glad to get it all over with.

I also talked to him about the idea of having my remaining breast removed. He said that, because I had a reoccurring cancer, he thought the insurance would cover it. He would tell them it is medically necessary. I've had a number of biopsies on this breast over the years. While it may not give me total assurance that the cancer will not return. It can't hurt. I'm just ready to have it gone. If I'm going to do this, I'd like to do it before the end of the year as I have reached that magic number on my insurance where everything is covered. Wish me luck!

Hope everyone is doing okay. I can't tell you how many times a day I think of you guys. Such a terrible, yet incredible, way to find friends. Hang in there ladies!

I met with the surgeon last week and he explained everything to me - I told him "the one thing I regret saying to you 4 years ago when you dismissed me after my 5th year check-up was "I will miss seeing you." And here I am again." They will be taking nodes and when I discussed having the left breast removed as well he gave me some statistics and they are so low so I've decided to keep "this girl." I found out two days ago I am scheduled for surgery on July 24, pre-op on July 15 and then more pre-testing in between. I will be going to a hospital where my DIL is a PA and she will be working that day so that really is a comfort to me. I'm thinking of this ordeal as just another bump in the road and I will certainly get through this.

You are all so very kind and a great comfort to me.

Thank you.

Barbara

Just wanted to stop by and see how you all are doing. I have never seen such a wonderful group of women, I've been reading the last few pages and wanted to once again send my best wishes to all of you. :)

Just touching base... Annrae thinking about you.

Snappy wanted to tell you that the Tea at Windsor Court was really nice. Thank you for the suggestion. R was sweet and looked so hot! Such a sexy man I have... *sigh* only thing I didn't get to do that was on my list of really want to do's was going to Oak Alley. Elise, a friend who met me there, wants to go back.

After my quick birthday trip to New Orleans, I left the next day after returning home to take mom to Virginia. Leaving there was just as emotional as when I left NOLA. Mom started some therapy yesterday. She has had a couple falls and didn't even tell me about the one on Monday, but I guessed. She was floored that I knew and that she couldn't hide it. WHY do they think they can keep that from us when they are at a risk?! Frustrating but God I love her. LOL Guess I will keep her ;)

Just touching base... Annrae thinking about you.

Snappy wanted to tell you that the Tea at Windsor Court was really nice. Thank you for the suggestion. R was sweet and looked so hot! Such a sexy man I have... *sigh* only thing I didn't get to do that was on my list of really want to do's was going to Oak Alley. Elise, a friend who met me there, wants to go back.

After my quick birthday trip to New Orleans, I left the next day after returning home to take mom to Virginia. Leaving there was just as emotional as when I left NOLA. Mom started some therapy yesterday. She has had a couple falls and didn't even tell me about the one on Monday, but I guessed. She was floored that I knew and that she couldn't hide it. WHY do they think they can keep that from us when they are at a risk?! Frustrating but God I love her. LOL Guess I will keep her ;)

Sha - :bday:party::wave::cake:
Happy Belated birthday sista
So glad you got to have some R. time
Yes, your mom is so sweet and definitely a keeper! She is so blessed to have you for a daughter. Sorry to hear about her falls. Wishing er all the best too

Barbara - so glad your dil will be with you on your surgery date

PatsMom - how are you feeling? thinking of you.

smilie - thinking of you too sista:hug:

Peg - so wonderful that Kendall got her first teaching job. I am sure she is beyond excited! But I am sure you will miss her even if only she is across town. I am sure she will have many stories to tell you.

Linda - saw your post I am ashamed to say what stuff my ds have left us with. Lets just say dh and I decided not to fix anything until they move out permanently.

Laurie - how are you? long time no post sista. Hope all is well with K. too.

Well more rain and bad weather here for a few days. So depressing. Where is our summer?? I was going to sit on the porch and read a book yest, but then it got so dark etc. Now its drizzling.

The one lady told us she loved how the room was decorated for her. I am glad she is happy with it. The head leader helped a little too with one decoration. I told her ds and I did it. Didnt tell her it costed me all of $5.00!

Dh was visiting his uncle and aunt in Seattle yesterday. Poor auntie, who will be 90 next week I think, tripped and fell over the phone cord. Thank heavens dh was there. He helped her back in bed. She refused to go to the hospital but is in a great deal of pain Hope nothing is broken. I have never met the lady. This is wife number 3. I only met wife 2 and maybe once I met wife 1.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

Happy Fourth of July to all here!

Sorry I have been MIA. Lots of distractions. . .

Want to here the good news or the bad news first???

About a week ago on Friday our governor vetoed the funds the non-profit where I have worked for the last 6 years, along with a small number of other organizations, mostly related to disability services. Lots of uproar, our situation was highlighted as the lead story on the front page of the paper the following Tuesday! It appears to have been a mistake that he included us in the cuts as his comments were that he was targeting programs that were being expanded, and that was not the case with us.

So its been a train wreck at work and we are still in limbo, even though supposedly several legislators are working to getting some sort of administration correction for us while other legislators are grandstanding for their own separate issues and calling for a special session for all the legislators to come back and overturn his vetoes with a 2/3rds vote. Very unlikely for that to happen since it would be the first time.

The timing for me personally is tricky as I was in the midst of finalizing a budget based on us having the funds. I have a huge hole I am trying to plug and it is not pretty. Now I am working on two scenarios, with and without the funds. Too much time at the computer, and I reached an impasse with my spreadsheet on Tuesday, luckily I met with our CEO and she inadvertently asked just the right question to help me find my issue (buried in a sheet I had added for one of a number of new programs we are starting).

I was relieved that I was able to finish budget number 1, but it took alot out of me. My eyes need a break!

Good news. . . I was able to spend a good bit of time with DD23 and her boyfriend this past weekend. DD23 came in Wednesday to be in the wedding of her best friend from high school days, who she has stayed close to despite her friend's move to Texas in junior year of high school, and going to different colleges.

We all ended up in New Orleans after the wedding festivities Friday night in a lovely little restored small church north of the city. We had amazing meals at some great restaurants, snowballs at what might be the best snowball stand uptown. DH and I also got to spend alot of time with my best friend in the world Cindy who we have not seen in a while so it was a full and satisfying weekend. Although she is still way too thin, DD23 looks much better than the last time I saw her in NJ in mid April. She also seemed much calmer and very much in control. It was a relief, especially for DH as he had not seen her since February, and she was run down and stressed back then.

DD23 surprised me Monday night after she got back home (their flight Sunday was cancelled so they left on a 5 am flight Monday morning) with suggesting we get together again in DC in October. She was thinking of another place besides NYC, and thinks DH would like DC, and basically I guess she wants to go there, lol.

It is also nice for her to have another trip to look forward to. She is going to Colorado to meet college friends in August for a weekend, but her boyfriend left for a long trip to Israel this week so I think she is lonely. I guess she must get the same charge as I do planning trips.

DS24 continues to do well with his job, he bought a truck finally about 10 days ago and now I have the use of my car back, thank goodness. He is in the process of clearing out his apartment in New Orleans so our house is full in more than one way right now.

DD17 is enjoying her volunteer opportunity at the zoo here. Her boyfriend left for a 2 week vacation yesterday so maybe she'll get some of her summer reading done! She told me last night though that someone broke into his family's van in Houston while they were in a restaurant and ALL their luggage was stolen, along with his mom's laptop! I suspect they will be returning to regroup!

Good news number 2: I was approved for the group long term care policy that I applied for in late May! I passed the medical scrutiny! Sadly, DH was not approved, but I am still going to purchase my policy as at least some of our assets will be protected should we needed either home care, assisted living, or nursing home care in the future.

Good news number 3: My co worker had her surgical biopsy Monday and the path report came in yesterday, all benign! Such a relief!

This is long and all about me, sorry.

LMP, how did your class go, is it over yet?
How are you feeling, Patsmom and Peg?
Sha, I knew you would like the Windsor Court. Good for R for being man enough to join you there! What a great guy!
Barbara, thinking of you, getting ready to send you a note soon.

GAGWTA!

Barbara, glad you were able to come to a decision, that's kind of a relief. Will be thinking of you as you start your battle.

MaryAnn, wonderful news on your tests. That "all clear" for the next year is the best news ever.

A year at a time, that's the theme these days. Though I am planning several years out, we want to move to the west coast somewhere. Someplace we can afford, that's the stopper. DD has decided she wants to transfer to Sacramento soon, at least we would be in the same part of the country.

Our next trip is four nights at Villas at Grand Californian, and then a week in Carsbad CA. Who knows, maybe we will love that area. Surely liked the Central Coast!

Happy 4th of July, ladies! As usual, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

We are having a quiet day today. It's very hot out and I don't handle the heat that well, so we're staying home with the dog. Luna does not like all the firecrackers going off, so she appreciates our staying home with her.

Things are moving along. Only four more chemo treatments left. I'll have a PET scan before I start radiation. Here's hoping for good news!

As if losing my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes wasn't enough, it appears I will be losing the nails from both of my big toes. Go figure! Oh well. It will all come back eventually. I actually look like a fuzzy billiard ball now. My hair is coming back slowly, but it is so light that it is hard to see. But, it's progress!

We've almost got things ready for Kendall's move to her apartment. I am so excited for her, but I will miss not having her here. But, it is closer than the year she spent in England.

Have a great holiday, everyone!

Laurie - you sure have been busy. Glad K. is doing well. Sounds like the DC trip would be nice. So much to see and do there and lots of interesting rests.

Diana - our ds love calif. too Ds3 would love to move there. When they hear dh is gong on a trip they always want to go too. The Grand Californian sounds fun!

Peg - hope the pet scan has good results. Seems like you are almost seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are having a lazy day here too. 2 of the ds are at bbqs and ds3 is lifeguarding a half day. So I am just going to cook hot dogs for dh and I later, maybe ds3.

We have some new neighbors. They arent officially here yet. Ds2 talked to the guy. He said him and his wife each have a 6 year old? They are moving to the corner house.

My teaching bible school starts monday. I am still working on everything. I know its fun but exhausting

I have to make an appt. for the sono and blood tests and also I know my endo is going to yell at me because I havent found a new gp yet.

GAGWTA

Happy 4th everyone! Hope everyone had a good day and got a chance to spend some time with family and friends. I went to a family cookout at a pool and had a nice time. Even got my husband out of the woods. He drove me down to the party. We are spending the night at my mother's since I have chemo tomorrow. This will be one of his rare visits to the cancer center. He gets so anxious that he makes me anxious. But it is important that he participate.

Round two of taxotere. The worst part of the first treatment was the stomach pain from the steroid pre-treatment. I am making sure I eat when I take my meds this time hoping that will help with the pain.

Peg, I know someone else who lost nails to chemo. She lost all of her fingernails. Not sure which drug family but I think it might be the taxanes. Seems like I saw something in the drug warnings they gave me about that. And was told to leave my nails alone if they got loose. I never did ask if this one would make my hair fall out or just thin even more like the cisplatin/gemcitabine.

MaryAnn - hope the bible school goes well. It is great that you enjoy it because I am sure it is very exhausting! But with all your husband's travelling it must keep you busy while he is gone. When Joe travelled I liked being busy. Kept my mind off being alone.

GAGWTA!

Wow, has it been almost a week since anyone posted?

Where is everyone??

Hope all is well.

Busy week, Maryann?

How are you feeling Patsmom and Peg?

DD17 and I have been experimenting with some new vegan recipes. Really turning out good but lots of time in the kitchen. DS24 also enjoyed the dishes. On top of that I made red beans with sausage, and am always doing veggies and fruits to be compliant with maintenance on my diet. I also eat a whole lot of plain Greek yogurt with a few raw walnuts and fresh blueberries. I am still working out with a trainer and trying to keep my weight in the right range.

I have not had my blood work to check my LDL/HDL yet-will do it either tomorrow or Friday. One more thing to knock out. Hopefully losing weight will have moved the numbers in a better range than in early March.

I did a lot of research last weekend about where to stay in DC when we meet DD23 and her boyfriend. I am not too impressed with the choices. Really hard to make a decision.

Somehow I don't think I am going to like DC as much as I like NYC. NYC has almost become like Disney to me. After going a number of times now, I am feeling like I know how to navigate Manhattan a bit more and am not as overwhelmed. That is what I like about Orlando too. DH is tired of Orlando, but I like that I am familiar with where things are. It is like is a comfortable old shoe or something. Is that silly of me?

DC just has me scratching my head and really I am not enticed by the hotels or the restaurants. I don't want to go with the wrong attitude though so I am looking for something specific to get excited about. I don't think I am a hotel snob or anything but I can't figure out whether to stay in the area close to the monuments and the museums or closer to Dupont circle or even Georgetown which is closer to the restaurants and stuff to do at night.

And I just think a 3 night trip will not be enough time.

GAGWTA ladies!

Well, crap. I was hoping not to join your party but here I am anyway. I am so glad that this thread is here.

I am in my early 50's and perimenopause was kicking my butt so my doctor put me on HRT 6 months ago with the promise that I would follow up with a mammogram. 5 months went by and I remembered the mammogram when my HRT was running out, so I made the appointment. That same week I felt a small lump in my right breast. A mass showed up on the mammogram and I followed up with an ultrasound (it's 1.4 cm) and I had a needle biopsy on Tuesday. My lymph nodes look clear on the ultrasound. I just got the call about 30 minutes ago: Grade II DCIS. The nurse says the cells are pre-cancerous and I have an appointment with a surgeon next Tuesday to go over my options. I have avoided worrying and Googling until now. It's just happened so fast. I guess it's good that my doctors are moving things along quickly.

Well, crap. I was hoping not to join your party but here I am anyway. I am so glad that this thread is here.

I am in my early 50's and perimenopause was kicking my butt so my doctor put me on HRT 6 months ago with the promise that I would follow up with a mammogram. 5 months went by and I remembered the mammogram when my HRT was running out, so I made the appointment. That same week I felt a small lump in my right breast. A mass showed up on the mammogram and I followed up with an ultrasound (it's 1.4 cm) and I had a needle biopsy on Tuesday. My lymph nodes look clear on the ultrasound. I just got the call about 30 minutes ago: Grade II DCIS. The nurse says the cells are pre-cancerous and I have an appointment with a surgeon next Tuesday to go over my options. I have avoided worrying and Googling until now. It's just happened so fast. I guess it's good that my doctors are moving things along quickly.

I won't say welcome, because I'd be happy if no one else ever had the need to join this thread. That being said, we are here for you! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

robinb - so sorry you have to be here too. I have a different type of cancer so I cant answer any of your questions,
but you have come to the right place. The ladies here are a wealth of information and are such a wonderful support group and encouraging to everyone. They inspire me!

Cheryl - thinking of you and your upcoming tests

Barbara - I am sure you are busy with the pre op testing

smiley - thinking of you

Peg - hope things are going well as can be

Pats Mom - glad your dh got to go with you. I know what you mean about the dh. Mine annoys me at the dr. and then my blood pressure goes sky high. He loves to be my uninvited advocate.

Laurie - you sure have been busy! How are the work issues? Any better?

Yes t has been a busy week at the bible school. Most of the time we had 11-13 kids and 3 great teen girl helpers. Only problem was there um short shorts. Even my ds remarked about it! But they were sweet and the nieces of my former co teacher. and one of their friends.

Today would have been my sis b day. Dh is taking me out to dinner later. I am glad I have kept busy most of the day and it was with children. She always loved being with them etc, so it was appropriate.

On tues. I also had a 2 hour school meeting, so I was beyond exhausted. I am sleeping in tomm.

Now to get back to my normal cancer world. Going to make the sono appt. next week and we will see about the blood test.

Hope everyone has a great week end.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

GAGWTA ladies (Greetings And Good Wishes To All).....
I know I've been remiss in visiting here, thinking of you all though!!

Robinb, your post gave me a bit of a flashback to 8+ years ago when the original version of this thread started, it was just a few days before I was diagnosed with DCIS myself.
So I will quote something that was said to me back then:

Pea-n-me said:
NHAnn, I'm sitting here sad and glad for you all at the same time.
You have a lot of positives in your situation believe it or not. I know that's hard to fathom right now so let me point them out for you: your tumor was detected very early; it wasn't invasive (so you don't have to worry much that it will "spread"); the survival rates of DCIS with surgery and radiation are terriffic (almost 100%); you (most likely) will not need chemo; .................. So if I had my choice of picking what type of this disease to have, I would pick exactly what you have (which is why your doctor called it good news)!! Some even consider DCIS a "precancer" that if left alone could turn into invasive cancer but that won't happen here because you found it and are dealing with it!!

It IS hard to believe that DCIS is (relatively speaking) a "good" diagnosis to get when you are shocked and frightened, for yourself and your family. Listen to your options, ask questions...at the doctors, and here. Try to avoid general googling (hard for many. like me :blush:), the internet can be overwhelming and scary and sometimes just "TMI" before your have all the info, make some decisions and get a treatment plan in place.
I had the option of mastectomy (with either no reconstruction, immediate recon, or delayed recon) or lumpectomy,radiation, then hormonal treatment. I chose the latter, snappy (another of the original ladies here) went down the former road with delayed recon.

Take your time to make the right decision for you, you do have time to do that. Thinking of you! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter