Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Seeing if Barbara has checked in. It's been a few days since her surgery.

Been working on cleaning out all my stuff. Being an internet seller and habitual estate sale attendee tends to mount up. There's no way we could move anywhere with all the stuff. Not hoarder status, but there are a few piles and way overstuffed closets.

We are having crazy weather here. Like hurricanes in the desert. Hope it's nicer where you are!

Hi,
My friend just finished her chemo treatments last week. She did awesome! Her mastectomy is Aug. 7th. I wanted to get her something. I was thinking of a nice soft nightgown that buttons up the front. (I thought this might be easier for her to get into after surgery/recovery) She is 37, so I didn't know if that kind of nightgown, would seem like something an older woman might wear. What do you think? Is there something else that you think would be a better gift?

I hope all of you are doing well. My friend has been such a great inspiration to me.:flower3:

Hi,
My friend just finished her chemo treatments last week. She did awesome! Her mastectomy is Aug. 7th. I wanted to get her something. I was thinking of a nice soft nightgown that buttons up the front. (I thought this might be easier for her to get into after surgery/recovery) She is 37, so I didn't know if that kind of nightgown, would seem like something an older woman might wear. What do you think? Is there something else that you think would be a better gift?

I hope all of you are doing well. My friend has been such a great inspiration to me.:flower3:

You sound like a true friend. I wish your friend the best of luck.

Personally I did not want anything nice to wear right after surgery as I was afraid blood or drainage from the drains would stain nice things. You have to pin the drains somewhere until you are able to have them out.

I wore oversized men's woven (not knit) shirts and used the pockets to pinup the drains.

That being said I love woven Eileen West nightgowns that button up the front.

I received a very good quality and softly scent cream that I loved. As the incision heals, you are told to massage the area adjacent to the scar to keep the area loose. I enjoyed using that cream on my hands and to massage around my scar.
My friend also gave me a lip gloss in the same scent. Very appreciated gift.

Meals are always helpful as well.

Hope this is helpful.

I am just checking in with all of you - you have been so kind to mention me in your posts and wonder how I am doing. I came home on Thursday and I'm doing well. I'm not thinking as clearly as I should and if I an repetitive, please forgive me. The sentinel node was free of cancer so they did not remove any more lymph nodes. I expect to hear from my surgeon this week about the pathology report and I will see my oncologist on the 6th to find out if I will need chemo or perhaps a pill instead. Everything has gone well, my family is wonderful and almost too over-protective with me.

I will be in touch again soon with an update.

Thank you so much for your care and concern.

Hugs,

Barbara

Thanks for posting, Barbara. Such a relief to know the sentinel node was clear.

Glad it has gone well, and that you have your family around you.

I hope you are looking forward to your upcoming trip. Looking ahead ais very good therapy.

Take care and give us an update when you can.

Yay Barbara!! I remember the day I got my news that my sentinal node was clear, I was so happy :) I texted all my kids including my dear son who was at work and he was so happy he said he did a happy dance, that was one of the last texts I was to recieve from him and it is such a precious memory.
Lmp...yes getting sent home right away is a good thing! I do know that so yahoo for you too!!
Dancind...we love the southwest so much, would move down that way if it was at all feasible, but alas we shall have to just keep visiting. We have had record breaking weather here, in fact it is the weather you should be having there!! the other night on the news from LA they said they broke a record for that day in July because they had rainfall, and we are about to break a record for having no rain at all for July! I am not complaining at all :thumbsup2
Peg, yay!! you are in the home stretch!! yes I waited a month as well, which is when the cancer cells they left behind grew like crazy and then I needed a second surgery before I could start radiation :(
Well we have been approved for our new mortgage! :cool1: oh what a huge relief!! we just have an appraiser coming by tomorrow to value the house, we dont' anticipate it will be lower than what we need, but you all keep me in your good positive thoughts for tomorrow please. Of course I have spent the last few days working like a maniac trying to finish our numerous projects, washing walls, touching up paint etc. I read this saying "I get more done in the day before company comes than I do all week..." so true! For me though between the cancer and grieving our son, it's 2 and a half years of catching up :( no way we can get it all done, but doing this has been very inpirational and both of us are looking forward to keeping up and doing more things we have wanted to do around here. We are getting a little extra in the mortgage to get my laundry room redone, it needs it more than you can imagine, finally going to do stamped concrete for the driveway, and one more part of our roof needs redoing. I am really excited to have things get done for us, as apposed to our usual do it yourself.
Our daughter in law is still in the process of moving away, in fact they are in the city during the week and only home every other weekend so we are already not seeing much of them all. We have wrapped our minds around it and are moving on with other things. We get to facetime or text with the grand daughters almost every day which is awesome! and we will be having them for sleep overs this coming weekend. In the meantime all the stuff we have been doing, and spending a lot of time with our daughters and 2 grand sons has been great!
GAGWTA

Barbara - glad you got that good news. Hope you are resting up. Glad your family is spoiling you. You deserve it. Rest up! Prayers for you.

smiley - hope all goes well with the house today

Cheryl - have you had your tests yet? Thinking of you.

Laurie - how goes things on the job situation?

Peg and Pats Mom - thinking of you both

robinb - thinking of you too

Well dh is back. Catching up on the jet lag. He says the skin is peeling off his toe? I havent seen it yet. I told him he should go to one of the drs. at the univ. hospital for a 2nd opinion etc. We shall see.

I got a letter in the mail about my blood tests and they seem to be good numbers. So I am happy for sure!:)

:laundy: Dh suitcase awaits me. GAGWTA

Barbara, that is great news about the sentinel node! How are you feeling?

Peg, yay for only one more treatment! I also had a month or so between chemo and radiation - it was nice to have a break and recover a bit before diving back in again.

Smiley, such a great memory you have of your DS telling you about the happy dance! Sounds like the refinance is going well, you sound super busy getting things done. I like the stamped concrete look.....have you decided on a pattern/color? Good to hear that you will have the granddaughters for a sleepover.....I bet they are also excited!

LMP, glad to hear your blood test results were good! I go for a CT on Thursday.....I swear it seems like I've had about 100 of them by now.

We had a fun weekend.....went on a BBQ road trip to Kansas City! Yum!!!!!! Took our two doggies and hit the road, about 1000 miles in three days, BBQ in three states at five different places. It was fun, and the weather was great. LOL, we even packed up a cooler of BBQ carry outs and had quite a feast when we got home.

Still waiting for a final approval from the bank on the short sale condo. Frustrating.

Oh my gosh, I just noticed that it is 3am and I am still awake. Not even sleepy yet. I wish I was one of those people that could just fall asleep when they are supposed to.

GAGWTA

Cheryl, I do that too. Or I go to bed and lie there, then can't get up in the morning. I am experimenting with going out to lay in the sun for 15-20 minutes during the day and doing a little exercise while I'm out there. Will let you know if it helps!

Barbara and LMP, good news is always welcome! Glad to hear it.

My favorite gift after surgery was a carton of gluten free almond scones from Whole Foods! Hadn't had anything like that in years, and was touched that a friend remembered my dietary restrictions and found something like that for me.

So I have a soft micro bead stuffed falsie that I stick into sports bras. It's very soft and comfy, but today is the first time I've worn it out of the house. Went to the grocery store. Just noticed that the top of it was sticking out of my t-shirt neckline. Bet the young check out guy wondered about that!

Barb, Great news!

So very glad to have chemo behind me. I was supposed to have my PET scan on Friday, but the insurance company said I needed to go to a different facility. Seems pretty silly since the place where I was scheduled was where I had it last time. Anyway, I'm now scheduled for next Thursday.

Feeling pretty tired and I'm trying to help Kendall get ready to move to her apartment. Seems like I get winded very easy. I know that once she moves, I'll want to go crazy cleaning, but I'll have to make myself behave. The doctor told me that I need to realize that they've been pumping me full of drugs for the past six months and that I will not recover overnight. Still, can't help but hope!

Finally getting hair all over my head. I was kind of worried since nothing much appeared to be coming in on the front, but things are looking better.

Hope things are going well for you all. Have a great weekend!

Peg so glad you are done!! For me, I kept getting more and more tired through my radiation treatments. Even now, 21 months after it's all done, I am still a lot weaker than I was before. My white cell count is still quite low. Maybe I'm also more tired because I'm that much older too. But I am a lot better than I was!! And I keep telling myself I am here!! no matter what else :thumbsup2
The appraisal went well, we will be signing our papers next week after a number crunching session on tuesday. It will be such a relief to have it all done. We are pretty much done our new bedroom and ensuite, just have to do a bit of tiling and hang a shelf and hang the mirror. I picked out a small mosaic tile that is mother of pearl, it is just beautiful!! Then we have one last shelf and corner cabinet and the new hood fan to put up in the kitchen and it's done. We are going to wait on some new flooring for a while, I am getting sick of reno!! I really want to get someone in to do the laundry room, but hubby wants to do it himself :crazy2: Before that though, we are going to escape south again :cool1: I want to wait until end of september at least, autumn and spring are the 2 times of year we have never travelled down that way. I want to see the grapevines all autumn colors in Napa, but for that we have to wait ill end of October and I don't know if I can wait that long!
Daughter in law takes possession on her new house on Aug 16!! it has all gone so fast. There new town is very nice, very family orientated, lot's of good schools etc. The girls are nervous, but we are talking it up to them to try and help them not be afraid. We looked at it all on Google street view, that thing is so handy!!
Cheryl your roadtrip sounds amazing!! we were seriously considering doing a shorter roadtrip up into the Okanagan Valley, it seriously looks just like California and has tons of wineries and vineyards just like Sonoma and Napa. We will see which one we decide upon.
It's a long holiday weekend here, B.C. day on monday. We went into the city last week with daughter and our 2 grandsons and we went on the new Flyin over Canada ride, it is so awesome!! exactly like Soarin over California at Disneyland, except of course you are soarin over canada! Grand son was sooooo excited and impressed! he loved it! he got to ride twice, once with us while mommy waited with baby brother then again with mommy while we waited.
Hope you are all having a good weekend :)

Diana - I :) at your grocery store story

smilie - you are sure busy with your home. That is good. Ours needs some TLC for sure too.

Cheryl - I am sure the condo stuff is frustrating. Hope you can see some progress soon. Your bbq road trip sounded like so much fun. Dh and I love Texas bbq of course.

Barbara - how are you feeling? I hope you are healing.

Peg - I am sure you are in moving mode with Kendall.

Laurie - any new on the job front? I am sure the funding issues are frustrating. Like trying to get water out of the stone.

Pats Mom - thinking of you

Well I am tired. Yest. ds3 and I did a lot of work in the garage. Dh said its making a lot of progress.

Next week I am going to the endo and I have a school meeting. Dh told me some guy told him that 2 of the teachers quit. Wonderful. Wouldnt it be nice for me to know first. Hmm, that is jut the way they do things around there. Oh well we knew that 2 teachers were looking for other jobs. They get paid peanuts here. I dont know who the other one is yet. But we already have 3 lined up for the openings. Teachers are desperate around here. The guy also told my dh that the school is in dire straights. Yeah. like we dont know that already. We need a miracle from God for sure. Sad; but in these economic times private school is more of a luxury these days for parents.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

Wow! I am so tired! The past couple of days have been crazy. On Sunday night, we loaded my car with a ton load of stuff. Then, we loaded clothes in Kendall's car. By the time we finished I felt like I had run a marathon.

Today, Kendall got possession of her apartment. I helped unload my car and Kendall carried her clothes in. I'd brought a fold up chair with me. I sat there and took things out of their packing while Kendall put things away. Then, we sat for three hours waiting for the cable man to arrive.

Tonight, Kendall carried the rest of her clothes to her car (yes, she had two closets full of stuff). The movers come tomorrow morning to take her furniture. She has to work all day tomorrow, so I will be here while the movers load up and meet them at the apartment. Then, I plan on sitting while I wait for her new mattress to arrive. I'm going to miss her so much, buy I'm ready for this move to be over and things to quiet down. She is in overdrive mode between the new job and the new place!

My PET scan is scheduled for Thursday, so I'll be on the weird diet tomorrow. They told me no exercise for 24 hours prior to the test, so I won't be doing much but overseeing things tomorrow.

I see the doctor on Monday. I hope they'll have the results of the PET then. Praying for excellent news. Onward and upward!

Stay strong my friends!

GAGWTA!!:goodvibes

Just a quick update from my appt today......my CT scan is still not showing any changes, despite the huge increase in the tumor marker numbers. Doc didn't seem all that concerned about it, explaining that as long as they can't see anything new/bigger on the scans he doesn't think I need to be doing any other treatment yet and to just keep on the arimadex since it seems to be more or less still controlling it. It's a little hard to stay in the mindset that the goal is to "control" and not eliminate the mets. But, as for now, I'm still doing well, so I will go with that!

GAGWTA!!:goodvibes

Just a quick update from my appt today......my CT scan is still not showing any changes, despite the huge increase in the tumor marker numbers. Doc didn't seem all that concerned about it, explaining that as long as they can't see anything new/bigger on the scans he doesn't think I need to be doing any other treatment yet and to just keep on the arimadex since it seems to be more or less still controlling it. It's a little hard to stay in the mindset that the goal is to "control" and not eliminate the mets. But, as for now, I'm still doing well, so I will go with that!

Glad to hear that the scan went well! Thinking of you!

Cheryl - :thumbsup2 for the good report. Glad they are watching things.

Pats Mom - thinking of you

Barbara - hope you are resting and healing

robinb - hope things are going well

Peg - hope Kendall is all settled in

Quiet here. I am going to the endo on mon. Still deciding whether to let dh in the room or not. I think he should stay in the waiting room. He just doesnt know when to be quiet and stop trying to advocate for me.

On my trip planning front. I havent heard from my cousin. Southwest prices are sky high for our ds to come for the week end so I havent done anything but look and not book so far, sigh. I dont know if this is going to work out.

Have a great week end everyone. GAGWTA

Good to know the Arimadex is working, Cheryl, since the scans are stable.

Feralpeg, good thoughts coming your way for Monday when you receive your PET scan results. I bet you are in recovery mode from helping your daughter with the move.

MaryAnn, I can understand your reservation about letting your DH in the room during your examination. Sometimes it is better to have another set of ears though. Is your voice stronger these days? Maybe it would be good to have him repeat your questions if you can limit his input to that.

Barbara, thinking of you!

Summer is coming to an end here. DD17 starts her senior year Monday. We took a quick road trip to see two colleges Saturday through Tuesday, Trinity in San Antonio and Rice in Houston. Had very good visits, these are good schools. DD particularly liked Rice. Not sure if she can get in to Rice, pretty good chance at Trinity. Both have strong science departments and undergrads do research which is particularly appealing to her as she is interested in animals, the zoos in each city are 5 minutes away from the respective campuses, and undergrads can do animal research in conjunction with the zoos. Trinity is completing a new state of the art science building that was unbelievable. We picked good schools to visit. Will likely at least visit the campuses of a couple universities in DC when we are there during Labor Day weekend. She also is interested in applying to a couple of schools in North Carolina, Tulane and LSU, and likely more.

The trip seemed to motivate her immensely. She will take the ACT and SAT again this fall and plans to have her smart boyfriend continue to tutor her beforehand. She is taking 3 AP courses and one honors course this semester so I think it will be a busy year, especially since she is co-editor for the yearbook this year, and she will continue to volunteer at the zoo here.

DH and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary Last Friday night in style at what is arguably the best restaurant in New Orleans, Commanders Palace. It was a nice leisurely 4 course meal, but we had to get up early the next morning for DD's senior picture and then DD and I hopped in the car to go to San Antonio. So DH and I did not get to spend the night in New Orleans. Still a nice night:cloud9:

It was nice to get away for a few days but driving through Houston going to and from was a nightmare. I think we will fly Southwest for any future trips to those cities.

I did come back to more stress at work. The atmosphere at work is toxic. If I still have a job after the August 20th board meeting, I will have to reduce my paid hours and work off the clock. Not sure how long I want to keep that up but with DD going to college, it may be time to look elsewhere for employment. Wonder who would hire me, another non-profit? I need to update my resume. Not a lot of call for an almost 60 year old accountant, but DH did find another position last year. And he's a year older! So there's hope!

GAGWTA!

First day of school for DD17 today. She was taking notes on her 3 English IV AP books all during last week, finished late last night as she had to turn in the composition book with the notes today. She was determined.

Had a bit of cleaning frenzy this weekend. It needed to be faced, and I did it, also working a good bit in the yard. Also cooked my favorite quinoa recipe and some fresh salmon. DS25 is a big eater and he gave up red meat and chicken. Since he is allergic to shellfish, we eat a lot of fish.

I am continuing to limit carbs in my diet maintenance stage. Doing well, even with the outstanding anniversary celebration meal and the Texas trip. Low carb eating seems to work for me. Nothing magical about Ideal Protein, it's really about knowing how many carbs foods have, even fruits and veggies and dairy, and timing your carbs in the morning and night, but skipping the carbs at lunch. Salads are my friend. I also am a regular visitor at the farmer's market. Lots of zucchini and okra.

How is everyone?

GAGWTA!

Snappy, I'll have to keep the low carb thing in mind. Since I started this cancer journey, I've lost 20 pounds. I just know, however, once my sense of taste comes back, I'll start putting it back on. So far, this is the only positive I've had from this experience. lol!

Well, Kendall is totally moved to her new place. On Saturday, I cleaned like a mad thing. I packed away the remaining stuffed animals and such she left behind. She did not take her bedroom furniture, so I changed things around a bit and her room looks so grown up now. She did take the love seat, armoire and bookcase from what we called "Kendall's study". That room is totally empty. It will become my crafts room. I want to paint the walls, shampoo the carpet and begin getting some of the Martha Stewart craft furniture. That may take awhile, but I'm ready to do it! It will be so nice to have a place where all my crafts things can be out and ready for me to use when I feel like it, instead of having to pull it all out and put it all away each time.

Kendall just called to tell me that she got a $2800 raise. The state allocated a bunch of money to the charter schools. The company that owns the school decided to allocate the money to teacher salaries. So, she's been working for this company for a little over two weeks and already got a raise! School starts next week, so this week, she is trying to get everything in place. I got to see her classroom and it is really nice. I'm so happy for her.

So, it's just me and Luna (the dog) at home most days. Quiet, but nice. Looking forward to some cooler weather and a chance to start walking again. Ready for fall! I just started putting together a new fall wreath. I can't wait for the holidays!

Thinking of you all!

Laurie - wow, you have been on quite the road trip! I remember when we drove with the 3ds from Dallas to San Antonio. It was 5 hours and before the days of built in dvds in the vans. We listened to a lot of books on tape etc. Happy Anniversary too! Dh and I actually ate in Commanders Palace too. Very nice service, but really expensive! A nice treat for you! How far in advance did you have to make a reservations. We went with a big group when dh had a conference there once. That was the time I got the call there that my dad died. Sigh.
Seems like your diet is doing really well. I hope the job situation works itself out. I am sure with your skills and great personality you could find another job.

Peg - Thats so great about Kendall and the raise. I am sure she was ecstatic. Your craft room sounds great. Like a crafty girl cave! Heah if the men get them, so can the women!

Barbara and Pats Mom - thinking of you both

Today was my endo visit. She was happy with my test results. One number changed and she said if it goes up again she will increase my one med slightly. The biggest concerns were my constant shortness of breath and I think I gained another 8 to 10 lbs. in the last 6 weks. I know she is questioning if my heart is pumping right and she thinks the weight is excess fluid. She said she is going to get me an internist since my case is so complicated. Would would have thought that:). She says a cardiologist is in my future. Yeah, invasive testing.

Tomm. I have a school meeting. We will see how things are going before school starts.

I just heard from my cousin. Trying to coordinate the trip stuff. He didnt tell my his wife and the rest of the family is leaving on saturday?? I know he said they are all going to epcot for the opening of food and wine and we will be there then too so that will work out. And then sat. he has an adr at raglan road. I looked online and saw there is an opening. I guess we could go and see him but honestly dh probably wouldnt like the atmosphere there I think. Also I already made an adr at the MK for us 4 since I wanted to watch wishes with the ds etc. Somehow I think this is going to not be good. Oh well. I cant change the dates because dh is actually flying back from california the day before so I will have to unpack and wash for him and our flight leaves at 7:05 am so it will be crazy. I think we will be ready to fall asleep. The airfare is the killer .But we are cashing in dh frequent flier miles for 3 nights at the Swan and then 3 nights at the Beach Club. I really want to go to the f and w since we have never been there before.

Oh and did anyone read my little dentist thread on the comm board. Another problem I have to deal with.

GAGWTA. Thinking of you all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter