Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

Oh man you should have went for the Roule Lard & Formage, bacon and cheese roll, so delicious there. I have had a napoleon once and that was pretty good. Who would think a French Bakery would have a second rate chocolate croissant, bummer!

Sunshine Seasons choices look good! Can you believe I have never tried this QS!

Great FP+ collecting on this day, always an accomplishment!

Overall I was a bit disappointed in our visit here. I had this idyllic notion of sauntering into a Parisian bakery and eating freshly prepared pastries and sadly I was just reminded that I was in a theme park.
That's too bad. I was thinking that on our Summer trip, I could grab sandwiches for lunch from here, if we were staying at the Beach Club... Wonder if it would be worth it.

As we started walking back toward our hotel I was able to get yet another FP, this time for Frozen Ever After so we could get our Anna and Elsa on.
Wow! That is some luck with the fast passes!!! We have only ridden this once, so, I kind of feel like I am indifferent to it.

Overall I was a bit disappointed in our visit here. I had this idyllic notion of sauntering into a Parisian bakery and eating freshly prepared pastries and sadly I was just reminded that I was in a theme park.

That's so unfortunate! Nice that Casey made a good pick at least. I've never had much desire to go here, especially since the gluten issues kicked in a few years ago, but I always hear good things. Sorry that it ended up disappointing.

we did our best to model like a normal family in Disney World.

Lookin' good!

Power Salad which is Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Chicory with Quinoa, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Almonds with a Spiced Honey Vinaigrette topped with a Sliced Chicken Breast

This actually looks really great!

but I can’t speak to the bacon as someone stole that for herself.

:rotfl:

Oh, I would TOTALLY do that!

While we don’t get here very often I think Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter services on property. The food is lighter and fresher than most other options, which after 5 days of gluttony was desperately needed.

I agree! We've started going at least once on most of our trips for a quick bite of something reasonably healthy and fresh.

We even gave our livers a break and had a few waters instead of some tipsy drinks.

:eek: No way! It can't be!

(RIP Maelstrom)

::yes::

Those of you who have read my reports previously know that Counter Service isn’t really our thing.

Same, we usually try to do TS for most meals.

I was so disappointed back when we went too. I was thinking maybe we tried the wrong thing, but it sounds like a lot of the food there is disappointing. I got a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and it tasted like something frozen they had just tossed in the microwave, it was pretty gross.

Clearly Chevy has a new model in their midst.
Clearly! My only question is what is Jason holding on to? :laughing:

While we don’t get here very often I think Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter services on property
I agree - nice and fresh :thumbsup2

We even gave our livers a break and had a few waters instead of some tipsy drinks.
:scared1: Say it ain't so! ;)

As we started walking back toward our hotel I was able to get yet another FP
Nice! You really were on a winning streak with FPs that day.

RIP Maelstrom
I know :sad2:

Frozen cold French pastries sound really sad and gross. Why do that to what should be fresh? I’ll stick to ice cream or French baguettes

Sunshine season looks like it was a nice lunch when you wanted something light! Can’t go wrong there. Too much bread isn’t the worst complaint for counter service food.

Awesome luck with the FP+

Because of this one place that we have never tried, and always wanted to, was Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot. And since we could walk right there from the Beach Club it seemed a perfect breakfast choice.

I got a chocolate croissant, which unfortunately tasted like it was a few days old and it was also very cold like it had been frozen.

Jason was the better orderer and went with the chocolate brioche which was rich and dense, in only the best way, but it was also very cold and bordering on frozen.
p1000204-jpg.371826

Casey was the winner with a beignet filled with hazelnut. Of course you can’t go wrong with a doughnut stuffed with a nutella like substance and lucky for her this item was actually on the fresh side.

I'm so bummed that you didn't love LesHalles! My mom and I always go out of our way to eat there and have never had frozen pastry. Maybe we just have gone later in the day when they are fully defrosted and didn't know any better :confused3

This reminds me of when we were eating at Chili's years and years ago and ordered the queso dip and our server came back out a few minutes later and said, "It comes in a big bag frozen and it's not thawed out yet…" Ewwww…we were like, "yea, we're good."

From there we visited Casey’s favorite purple dragon and swam in the big blue world, before starring in our very own Chevy infomercial.

:rotfl: They better snatch him up quick before someone else does!

After that I was able to pick up a 4thFP for Character Spot where we did our best to model like a normal family in Disney World.

Adorable, and I love your shirt :goodvibes

Jason got his inner Kelly (aka @buzzrelly) on with a Power Salad which is Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Chicory with Quinoa, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Almonds with a Spiced Honey Vinaigrette topped with a Sliced Chicken Breast

I must say this was pretty darn good. The kale was fresh and the goat cheese added a nice creaminess. Unfortunately the chicken was way too dry, but the rest was all a nice break from all the heaviness we’d had.

That looks good! Now I know where to get a salad in EPCOT that I can add to my salad repertoire ::yes::

As with most of you I’m not a big fan of this ride (RIP Maelstrom) or the worst ride photo on the planet, but I take great joy in playing the FP game so we were riding this out of sheer ego if nothing else.

I don't like the ride either, but lucky you getting that FastPass!

That sounds amazing, although I don't think I could eat all that sugar first thing in the morning. I understand you're aversion to quick service. I definitely prefer the sit down restaurants and usually the signature one's at that. Epcot does have a few good ones I've done for lunch, sorry your breakfast was a bit of a bust.

Jason got his inner Kelly (aka @buzzrelly) on with a Power Salad which is Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Chicory with Quinoa, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Almonds with a Spiced Honey Vinaigrette topped with a Sliced Chicken Breast
This sounds super healthy! I always want to try and eat healthy when I'm on vacation, but I know I wouldn't have glanced twice at this lol. Glad it tasted good! I'm weird and like dry meat so I probably would have loved the chicken.

This came with a side of potato salad which was nice and vinegary and I very much enjoyed it. As for the sandwich in case it isn’t evident there was WAY too much bread here, but the turkey was very moist and clearly carved vice being just deli style. It went well with the avocado and had a slightly spicy aioli on it, but I can’t speak to the bacon as someone stole that for herself.
This sandwich looks delicious! I might have to try this next time I'm there.

While we don’t get here very often I think Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter services on property. The food is lighter and fresher than most other options, which after 5 days of gluttony was desperately needed. We even gave our livers a break and had a few waters instead of some tipsy drinks.
Glad you like it there! I enjoyed my meal there I think was two years ago now lol.

We even had some time to stop for a Mickey Ice Cream along the way.
These are the best, especially on a hot day. They serve them on the Disney cruises so I plan to have one every day of my upcoming cruise lol. But they are free there :)

As with most of you I’m not a big fan of this ride (RIP Maelstrom) or the worst ride photo on the planet
I miss that ride too. You did an awesome job getting so many fast passes!

What a bummer on the bakery, it’s usually quite good. Especially with champagne. ;) Sunshine Seasons looks quite yummy. I never seem to remember it... or perhaps it’s that I rarely leave World Showcase, haha. Oh no on another disappointment looming!

Oh man you should have went for the Roule Lard & Formage, bacon and cheese roll, so delicious there. I have had a napoleon once and that was pretty good. Who would think a French Bakery would have a second rate chocolate croissant, bummer!
I think anything other than that croissant would be been a good choice. So disappointing.

Sunshine Seasons choices look good! Can you believe I have never tried this QS!
No I cannot. Especially since we've been there probably 4 or 5 times which is really strange for us. You should definitely give it a whirl. I think you both would find a lot of things you'd like.

That's too bad. I was thinking that on our Summer trip, I could grab sandwiches for lunch from here, if we were staying at the Beach Club... Wonder if it would be worth it.
It is probably a better option than what they have at BC and Boardwalk as they are definitely lacking there. Lunch may be better I was just very disappointed in our breakfast experience.

Wow! That is some luck with the fast passes!!! We have only ridden this once, so, I kind of feel like I am indifferent to it.
Yeah, I'm indifferent too but getting hard to get fast passes day of is a favorite park day obsession of mine. Of course that is probably also why my phone dies half way through the day :-)

That's so unfortunate! Nice that Casey made a good pick at least. I've never had much desire to go here, especially since the gluten issues kicked in a few years ago, but I always hear good things. Sorry that it ended up disappointing.
I'd always heard good things too so maybe it was an off day. That said from my vantage point you are missing nothing!!!!

This actually looks really great!
It was pretty dang good. I actually wanted to order it myself but my dining companion who normally loves salad wasn't feeling it.

I agree! We've started going at least once on most of our trips for a quick bite of something reasonably healthy and fresh.
We usually go every couple of trips, but this reminded me that more often is probably a good idea. Sunshine Seasons really should be the standard that they strive for with everything QS. Clearly you don't have to sacrifice freshness for taste and you shouldn't have to be in "The Land" to get that experience.

I was so disappointed back when we went too. I was thinking maybe we tried the wrong thing, but it sounds like a lot of the food there is disappointing. I got a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and it tasted like something frozen they had just tossed in the microwave, it was pretty gross.
Here I thought I was the anomaly but maybe they have just changed their tactics as I've generally read good things. We definitely won't be back anytime soon.

Clearly! My only question is what is Jason holding on to? :laughing:
OMG I didn't even notice that. Casey had gotten a Lotso bear sometime that day and I gather he was attacking Jason. He's a special man :-)

Nice! You really were on a winning streak with FPs that day.
We were. One of my best FP days! I am way too obsessed with picking them up.

Maybe its not too late :-):-)
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-save-maelstrom

Frozen cold French pastries sound really sad and gross. Why do that to what should be fresh? I’ll stick to ice cream or French baguettes
I think Ice Cream and baguettes is definitely the way to go. France should be very disappointed Disney is representing them in this way.

Too much bread isn’t the worst complaint for counter service food.
True, very, very true!

I'm so bummed that you didn't love LesHalles! My mom and I always go out of our way to eat there and have never had frozen pastry. Maybe we just have gone later in the day when they are fully defrosted and didn't know any better :confused3
Maybe we were there on an off day, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. I was totally imagining the best pastries we've ever had and wanting to get up every morning and get some more, but it was not to be. Though my waistline and sleeping schedule was probably better for it :P

This reminds me of when we were eating at Chili's years and years ago and ordered the queso dip and our server came back out a few minutes later and said, "It comes in a big bag frozen and it's not thawed out yet…" Ewwww…we were like, "yea, we're good."
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: That is horrible. But at least your caveated the Chillis with years and years ago because you know i would have pounced all over that :P

dorable, and I love your shirt :goodvibes
Thanks! I don't have a ton of Disney shirts, but love me some figment (just hate the ride) so this was a no brainer at Flower and Garden a few years back. I'm sure it will be there in May!!!

That looks good! Now I know where to get a salad in EPCOT that I can add to my salad repertoire ::yes::
It really was very good and should meet your salad standards very well.

That sounds amazing, although I don't think I could eat all that sugar first thing in the morning. I understand you're aversion to quick service. I definitely prefer the sit down restaurants and usually the signature one's at that. Epcot does have a few good ones I've done for lunch, sorry your breakfast was a bit of a bust.
I don't like much sugar in the morning either, heck I don't even really like breakfast, so even the croissant was a stretch for me.

This sounds super healthy! I always want to try and eat healthy when I'm on vacation, but I know I wouldn't have glanced twice at this lol. Glad it tasted good! I'm weird and like dry meat so I probably would have loved the chicken.
I'm the same way, though I actually considered getting this too but Casey vetoed it in favor of the sandwich. But you can keep your dry chicken :crazy2:

These are the best, especially on a hot day. They serve them on the Disney cruises so I plan to have one every day of my upcoming cruise lol. But they are free there :)
Casey would probably eat 10 a day on a cruise. I'm not a big ice cream person so I don't even think I've had one. Blasphemy I know :-)

Strangely we escaped without her buying the slippers or anything else (she contemplated purchases much more now that she, and not Aunt D, was footing the bill) and eventually uber’d back to the the Scaffolding – I mean Beach - Club and hit the pool.

For 5 minutes.

Yep 5 minutes. So fast I didn't even get a single picture. They shut it down as there was apparently lightening in the area. We waited for about an hour and they still hadn’t opened back up despite us seeing no actual traces of lightening so we decided to head to MK for the afternoon. Side note this became a reoccurring theme for us and the pool. Apparently The Wave was as close to water as we were getting.

Up next… Casey selects a very "quiet" dinner locale

This happened to us on our trip too! My poor kids! We went down at least 4 times before they got to actually swim. Luckily the DVC pool stayed open or we would have had to buy so many treats to make up for it. LOVE the wave breakfast! Staying at BLT next time and I may eat there more than once.

We usually go every couple of trips, but this reminded me that more often is probably a good idea. Sunshine Seasons really should be the standard that they strive for with everything QS. Clearly you don't have to sacrifice freshness for taste and you shouldn't have to be in "The Land" to get that experience.

I agree! All QS should be held to this standard. Sunshine Seasons and Satu'li Canteen are the places that have it right, in my humble opinion.

Yeah, I'm indifferent too but getting hard to get fast passes day of is a favorite park day obsession of mine. Of course that is probably also why my phone dies half way through the day :-)
We have invested in a couple external chargers for both of our phones. Between taking pictures on our phone and checking fast passes and stuff. We KILL the battery fast in Disney.

Bummer about Les halles. I've never had anything from there that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I've never been there early in the morning, though.

What a bummer on the bakery, it’s usually quite good. Especially with champagne. ;) Sunshine Seasons looks quite yummy. I never seem to remember it... or perhaps it’s that I rarely leave World Showcase, haha. Oh no on another disappointment looming!
I totally missed the champagne boat. I'm sure that would have made everything better :drinking1

Sunshine Seasons is definitely yummy. I wish we spent more time in the World Showcase, but sadly Casey and her love of rides is all about future world.

This happened to us on our trip too! My poor kids! We went down at least 4 times before they got to actually swim. Luckily the DVC pool stayed open or we would have had to buy so many treats to make up for it. LOVE the wave breakfast! Staying at BLT next time and I may eat there more than once.
I never even thought to check the other pool to see if it was opened or not. I guess I just figured if one was closed for weather the other would be too. I'll have to remember that one.

I agree! All QS should be held to this standard. Sunshine Seasons and Satu'li Canteen are the places that have it right, in my humble opinion.
Amen sista! We do Satuli later in the week and I was very impressed!

We have invested in a couple external chargers for both of our phones. Between taking pictures on our phone and checking fast passes and stuff. We KILL the battery fast in Disney.
We haven't gone that route yet but probably should. I just don't let Jason use his so I have it as back up :-)

Bummer about Les halles. I've never had anything from there that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. I've never been there early in the morning, though.
I was very surprised by our experience as it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm. I"m sure we'll be back at some point and hopefully it can redeem its frozen self.

I too am not a fan of the QS options at Disney. I hate the whole standing in line, waiting for your food kind of thing. Like you, I much prefer a quiet (maybe not too quiet at Disney) sit down.

LOVE the family pic of you all with Mickey! That's totally Christmas card worthy...8-)

loving your report - always a great read!!! My family isn't a real big fan of counter service and we like to stick with a sit down meal as well!! Since we're normally there in June we sweat our fannies off and need the a/c for our meals!!

With the kid-free trip coming up in just 48 days I'm super excited about our dining choices!!!

California Grill for the first night's dinner, then CP for a pre-park opening b'fast and dinner at Morimoto's....we're doing the Bon Voyage b'fast for the first time - DH doesn't know I've booked it either!!

Then a dinner at the Boathouse, and a first for us ever - Early Morning Magic hours at Toy Story - he has NO idea we have to be at the park by 7am...yikes!!

we're having lunch at Sci-Fi for the first time too - our youngest boy loves 50s so we're only allowed to eat there...and then dinner at Homecomin'..

B'fast at the Plaza and then lunch somewhere before we head home...

a quick but fabulous trip!!

Im hoping we can make time for a few of the adult beverages you have found!!!

Gutted for you that Les Halles was such a disappointment :(
We’ve always had really decent breakfasts there although I do ask them to warm/toast our food so maybe that’s what made the difference :confused3
Sunshine seasons and multiple fast passes go some way to making up for a lousy breakfast I suppose :thumbsup2

Because of this one place that we have never tried, and always wanted to, was Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot.
I’ve gone to Les Halles on previous trips and it was good, although on this last trip we did walk in for a look and left without getting anything. Nothing appealed to us at the time, which was unexpected, I wonder if they’ve gone downhill a bit?

:rotfl2:

Power Salad which is Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Chicory with Quinoa, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Almonds with a Spiced Honey Vinaigrette topped with a Sliced Chicken Breast
It looks healthy. It has green things. Nope. :p
But I do appreciate wanting a lighter meal. I usually go for a fruit bowl as a lighter option.

While we don’t get here very often I think Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter services on property.
Agreed. I appreciate having choices besides burgers and nuggets.

After lunch our FP hot streak continued picking up extras for Living with the Land, Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth.
Wow, nicely done.

As with most of you I’m not a big fan of this ride (RIP Maelstrom) or the worst ride photo on the planet,
I’m okay with the ride, but certainly not a huge fan.
The ride photo is terrible, especially if you are in the last couple rows. The camera angle is bad and I wish they would have made some effort to change the background other than a set of concrete steps

I too am not a fan of the QS options at Disney. I hate the whole standing in line, waiting for your food kind of thing. Like you, I much prefer a quiet (maybe not too quiet at Disney) sit down.

LOVE the family pic of you all with Mickey! That's totally Christmas card worthy...8-)
We are totally on the same no QS page, though we did try mobile ordering and ate at Satuli Canteen on this trip too and that worked out well. But I'm certainly not a convert and will be sticking to table service as much as possible.

We used another picture in our Christmas card, but thought you would appreciate this one....
DSCF0331.jpg

loving your report - always a great read!!! My family isn't a real big fan of counter service and we like to stick with a sit down meal as well!! Since we're normally there in June we sweat our fannies off and need the a/c for our meals!!
Thanks so much. Totally with you on the table service, especially in the summer. We do like some QS places - like Flame Tree - but no chance I'm eating outside in August.

With the kid-free trip coming up in just 48 days I'm super excited about our dining choices!!!
Woohoo!!!!!! Sounds like you will be there right around the same time as us. We head down on February 21st.

California Grill for the first night's dinner, then CP for a pre-park opening b'fast and dinner at Morimoto's....we're doing the Bon Voyage b'fast for the first time - DH doesn't know I've booked it either!!
Two of my favorites with CG and Morimoto. In fact Jason and I were just talking about Morimoto the other night and how we have to get there for a full meal this time. Of course no actual plans for us yet, but I'm sure we'll be there at some point.

a quick but fabulous trip!!
Your trip sounds awesome and I'm totally envious of the adults only trip!

Gutted for you that Les Halles was such a disappointment :(
We’ve always had really decent breakfasts there although I do ask them to warm/toast our food so maybe that’s what made the difference :confused3
Sunshine seasons and multiple fast passes go some way to making up for a lousy breakfast I suppose :thumbsup2
Yeah, maybe I should have asked them to warm it and that would have been better. Heck I'm the person who sacrilegiously heats a croissant at home in the microwave so I should have known better :P

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas across the pond!

I’ve gone to Les Halles on previous trips and it was good, although on this last trip we did walk in for a look and left without getting anything. Nothing appealed to us at the time, which was unexpected, I wonder if they’ve gone downhill a bit?
It may have just been that my expectations were so high there was no chance they were going to be met. When I enter a bakery in "france" run by people from "france" apparently my expectation that I be transported there was an eiffel tower too far :P

It looks healthy. It has green things. Nope. :p
But I do appreciate wanting a lighter meal. I usually go for a fruit bowl as a lighter option.
We are definitely a green veggie family so you may not want to hang with us too much :-) In fact I'm getting ready to sauté some kale to have on a sandwich with our leftover roast beef :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter