Dining Wars: Drinking's Edge - An August 2018 Dining Report - Updated 2/18: Completed

The Scaffolding Club. :rotfl2: I still can’t believe they didn’t take that room out of service. I just love that Casey is such a pro that she has opinions on rides and restaurants. Raising that girl right, you are!! I’ve never been to Whispering Canyon but know it has a very passionate fan base that were not pleased with rumored end of antics. I can see the other side of the coin though with the noise in the lobby and lobby-facing rooms. Hopefully they’ve found a nice balance. That salad is sad looking. I could easily make a meal of baked beans and mashed potatoes! :blush: Looks like a fun MK evening. The Space Mountain pic is adorable!

At least Iceburg lettuce doesn't kill you unlike Romaine.

Looks like a lovely dinner even if it was a little fatty. The antics are too much for my husband so we never head over there.

Two counter service meals?!?! Are you ok?

I missed your Wave update but it brought back fond memories of the 3 yogurt parfaits I had there :love: I've wanted to get back but sadly we haven't

Yee-ha for WCC! I'll see your iceberg and trade you a freakin' boastful of arugula :crazy2::crazy2: although that particular salad doesn't look too yummy.

Nice night back at MK! Glad the rain held off and you were able to enjoy a rocker on Tony's porch instard of your balcony of steel.

After our non-pool pool day we headed to the Magic Kingdom and since we didn’t have fast passes until later we let Casey make the calls on rides. She went for Carousel of Progress, The Pooper (aka the People Mover) and Dumbo. Love her vintage Disney soul.
Those are all great rides when you don't have a fast pass. The People Mover used to be our favorite, but it keeps breaking down when we are on it and walking off that ride is not fun.

The salad was as pathetic as it looks. Now I’m not sure when Disney started confusing “mixed greens” with iceberg lettuce but this appears to be a very sad trend. Admittedly I loathe iceberg lettuce so it didn’t get much of a fair shot, but the “dressing” pretty much tasted like pure apple cider vinegar.
Was this during the time when romaine lettuce was deadly? It might be why it's only iceberg.

33f65aa2-b536-47a9-8fde-c2c0121e9382.jpg
These mashed potatoes look delicious. I don't think I'd ever order this skillet, most of the food that comes with it isn't something I'd like.

YUM!

Despite having nothing on our table that required ketchup Casey of course felt the need to yell for it, but otherwise the antics did seem tampered down from what we recall. Casey did partake in the horse race though.
The food here isn't really to my liking, but the fun antics they do is something I'd enjoy. Do they do that for breakfast too?

Bambi! It always amazes me when I see deer wandering around the Disney property.

And the beans were sweet and smokey with hints of bacon. Both were definite wieners.
Ha! Wieners..

Casey was disappointed the antics were tampered down, but that may have had more to do with our server than the restaurant as a whol
I feel like lunch has always been a bit quieter in general.
Up next, not one but two rare Counter Service meals :scared1:
Are you trying to break the internet?!?!

Overall Whispering Canyon is a fun experience, though the skillet most definitely is too much food and not at all the way we like to eat. We’ll stick to the regular menu next time. Casey was disappointed the antics were tampered down, but that may have had more to do with our server than the restaurant as a whole. With our Tables in Wonderland card we saved $23.90.
We have always wanted to try this except for the amount of food! We don’t eat like that either! It does look yummy!
Glad there was a few antics for Casey!

Speaking of natural habitat on the bus it looked like more storms were rolling in but Casey used the old fingers crossed method to ensure she got some more park time in.
She did a good job warding off the storms, lol!

...Before finally getting back to the Scaffolding Club and crashing.
So true, good name for it! That is one eye sore for sure!

Umm, hi. Just want to say I hope I grow up to do Disney like you someday. You're my spirit animal. That is all.

I finally got caught up.

Cali Grill looks amazing. Someday I need to move away from just sushi and get an actual entree. It all looks delish!

I totally understand the Lady Antebellum thing. I am not a fan. You cant beat the fireworks though.

Your wines all look amazing. I am keeping a log so we can try some.

About Flying Fish. I still like it, but those croquettes made smile cringe on out recent trip. He didnt mention it when we were 8n the restaurant, but afterward he declared he didnt really want to go back because the croquettes tasted like frozen ones.

I LOVE Casey's Christmas dress for the theater. What a little cutie!

we let Casey make the calls on rides. She went for Carousel of Progress, The Pooper (aka the People Mover) and Dumbo. Love her vintage Disney soul.

Casey is so cool. :lovestruc

Now I’m not sure when Disney started confusing “mixed greens” with iceberg lettuce but this appears to be a very sad trend.

Ew. That's pretty pathetic, Disney. :sad2:

And of course anything slathered with butter is good. Maybe even that pesky iceberg lettuce o_O

:laughing:

While I love me some meat (insert joke here)

:scared1::blush:

The ribs had a terrific char to them, though they were very dry.

We found the same thing last time we were there!

We ended up having a great MK night with a roll through Space...

This is awesome! You guys are fabulous.

mining the worlds smallest mountain

:rotfl:

Moosehead beer :dancer:if that is on draft , I will need to review the lunch menu.
We are always looking for a TS that serves lunch as oppose to the all day dinners in the Parks. Getting bottle Moosehead at home is easy ( just had one tonight) but draft in NJ isn't happening. Agree about the iceberg lettuce not a fan , ok if it is part of a mix .
Curious to see your CS restaurant selections

She went for Carousel of Progress, The Pooper (aka the People Mover) and Dumbo. Love her vintage Disney soul.
What can I say? You two raised that kid right ::yes::

And of course anything slathered with butter is good.
I wholeheartedly agree :thumbsup2

And got a cupcake thanks to my birthday button (which I was allowed to put back on now that Casey's half birthday was over).
:laughing:

After dinner we headed back to MK via a bus saw a couple of these guys along the way.
Dumb question... or rather comment... I didn't realize there was a bus from WL to MK!

Amazing. :laughing:

Up next, not one but two rare Counter Service meals :scared1:
Your taste is impeccable and your food descriptions are always on point... so I'm dying to read about the CS meals! :laughing:

Love Casey’s choices for rides. That salad is the saddest looking plate :crazy2:surely they could have added a little bit of something to jazz it up:confused3
I’ve never been to WCC but while there seems to be s lot of food it doesn’t look overly appealing. Glad Casey was able to work her magic and keep the storms at bay so you got to end on a high note. Looking forward to hearing about your qs choices :)

I love how you wing it. I want to do this, but the OCD control freak can't let go of planning everything out. I'm so afraid I'll miss something. I know I won't, but I can't convince my brain otherwise. You're my hero.

Yep, nothing like Starbucks at Disney or any day!
I think we got this from a kiosk somewhere in tomorrowland so it was sadly Joffrey's and not Starbucks

Super cute pic of Casey and Tink.
Thanks! One of Casey's favorites and her only character request for the whole trip.

That would be perfect!!! We will definitely enjoy a few glasses of wine at the WL in May on one of their comfy rockers...
Sign me up!

Love the fun pictures you guys take.
We certainly do like to have "fun"

Along with that, I'd like to know when 'dining pavilion' replaced 'food court'.
I missed the memo on that one, but now I want to know too! Maybe we can start a change.org petition to get the names to go back :P

The Scaffolding Club. :rotfl2: I still can’t believe they didn’t take that room out of service. I just love that Casey is such a pro that she has opinions on rides and restaurants. Raising that girl right, you are!! I’ve never been to Whispering Canyon but know it has a very passionate fan base that were not pleased with rumored end of antics. I can see the other side of the coin though with the noise in the lobby and lobby-facing rooms. Hopefully they’ve found a nice balance. That salad is sad looking. I could easily make a meal of baked beans and mashed potatoes! :blush: Looks like a fun MK evening. The Space Mountain pic is adorable!
I still can't believe that room was in "service" either. We should have complained but i was so desperate for a balcony I went with that whole beggars and choosers thing. Thankfully that does not preclude me from complaining about it.

Casey certainly has her ride and food opinions, which can make everything fun most of the time. Funny aside we went out to dinner on Saturday night for Jason's birthday and Casey somehow talked us into trying the Chefs tasting because she wanted all the things it came with. What we missed was this was actually called the "feast" and it was a 5 course meal family style meal where they brought us 2 entree size portions for every course. It was delicious, but more food than we typically eat in a week!

At least Iceburg lettuce doesn't kill you unlike Romaine.

Looks like a lovely dinner even if it was a little fatty. The antics are too much for my husband so we never head over there.

Two counter service meals?!?! Are you ok?
Iceberg may not kill me, but it sure does give me a case of complainitous :P

I was questioning our sanity as well on the counter service options. But never fear we were back to signatures before too long.

I missed your Wave update but it brought back fond memories of the 3 yogurt parfaits I had there :love: I've wanted to get back but sadly we haven't
All that yummy goodness and you were eating yogurt parfaits???? I thought better of you. No healthy food on vacation :P

Yee-ha for WCC! I'll see your iceberg and trade you a freakin' boastful of arugula :crazy2::crazy2: although that particular salad doesn't look too yummy.
We can trade iceberg for arugula any day of the week. In fact I'm pretty positive I'll be having some on either my pizza or pasta for dinner tonight :-)

Those are all great rides when you don't have a fast pass. The People Mover used to be our favorite, but it keeps breaking down when we are on it and walking off that ride is not fun.
We've seen it break down, but have never been on it when it has. Strangely I think my crew would love to have to be evacuated off of it o_O

Was this during the time when romaine lettuce was deadly? It might be why it's only iceberg.
Nope! That ain't even the excuse. Just cheapness I think :P

These mashed potatoes look delicious. I don't think I'd ever order this skillet, most of the food that comes with it isn't something I'd like.
I can see why their food may not be for everyone but those dang mashed potatoes are so good!

The food here isn't really to my liking, but the fun antics they do is something I'd enjoy. Do they do that for breakfast too?
They do. We've only done it once but I don't think it was particularly memorable.

Bambi! It always amazes me when I see deer wandering around the Disney property.
I think this was the first time we saw one. Odd I didn't even know deer got down that far south.

Ha! Wieners..
Glad ya caught that :-)

I feel like lunch has always been a bit quieter in general.
This was actually dinner so definitely toned down from what we've experienced previously.

Are you trying to break the internet?!?!
Just call me Ralph :P

We have always wanted to try this except for the amount of food! We don’t eat like that either! It does look yummy!
Glad there was a few antics for Casey!
Eating off of the regular menu is definitely the way too go. You all should check it out for lunch or something. I think you'd like it.

So true, good name for it! That is one eye sore for sure!
It certainly was a "winner"

Umm, hi. Just want to say I hope I grow up to do Disney like you someday. You're my spirit animal. That is all.
Wow, thanks so much. Glad you are enjoying our adventures. Though I do feel old that you had to couch it as when you grow up. Next time we can just leave it at spirit animal and call it a day :P

I finally got caught up.

Cali Grill looks amazing. Someday I need to move away from just sushi and get an actual entree. It all looks delish!

I totally understand the Lady Antebellum thing. I am not a fan. You cant beat the fireworks though.

Your wines all look amazing. I am keeping a log so we can try some.

About Flying Fish. I still like it, but those croquettes made smile cringe on out recent trip. He didnt mention it when we were 8n the restaurant, but afterward he declared he didnt really want to go back because the croquettes tasted like frozen ones.

I LOVE Casey's Christmas dress for the theater. What a little cutie!
Hi Niki!

CG does have great sushi so I get it hard to move away from, but everything else is so dang good! Speaking of sushi have you tired Tokyo Dining? We were surprised at how much we enjoyed their sushi and its like half the price of CG.

I can see why the croquettes could drive you away from Flying Fish. Maybe we should have said something because they really were bad for such a good restaurant. We just had Casey eat ours since she didn't know any better. :P

Casey is so cool. :lovestruc
Coming from you that is a huge compliment! Doing our best to raise her with a vintage Disney soul :-)

This is awesome! You guys are fabulous.
We are certainly something. I'm not sure fabulous is the word I'd use (though I'm sure Casey would), but I'll take it :P

Moosehead beer :dancer:if that is on draft , I will need to review the lunch menu.
We are always looking for a TS that serves lunch as oppose to the all day dinners in the Parks. Getting bottle Moosehead at home is easy ( just had one tonight) but draft in NJ isn't happening. Agree about the iceberg lettuce not a fan , ok if it is part of a mix .
Curious to see your CS restaurant selections
Yep Moosehead is on draft. I think this is the only place I've ever seen it this way. We had it at dinner this trip and the last one, so I think its safe bet they have it all the time including lunch. I don't drink it much at home but its a great and refreshing way to enjoy the "quiet" of the Wilderness.

What can I say? You two raised that kid right ::yes::
We're trying. We'll see how that holds up in another ten years or so :-)

Dumb question... or rather comment... I didn't realize there was a bus from WL to MK!
Yep they have a bus and the boats. When we have stayed there we find the bus tends to be faster, but this was strange that we stopped at FW on the "way" to MK.

Your taste is impeccable and your food descriptions are always on point... so I'm dying to read about the CS meals! :laughing:
Now to be fair, meal is probably a loose term. Its more like breakfast goodies and a light lunch, but we did have to hunt for a table with the commoners :P

Love Casey’s choices for rides. That salad is the saddest looking plate :crazy2:surely they could have added a little bit of something to jazz it up:confused3
I’ve never been to WCC but while there seems to be s lot of food it doesn’t look overly appealing. Glad Casey was able to work her magic and keep the storms at bay so you got to end on a high note. Looking forward to hearing about your qs choices :)
Sad is certainly a good word for that salad. They should be embarrassed they were even serving it.

A lot is definitely a good way to describe Whispering Canyon. Its not bad at all, just trying to do so much for so many you end up sacrificing for quality. The regular menu is definitely the better bet.

I love how you wing it. I want to do this, but the OCD control freak can't let go of planning everything out. I'm so afraid I'll miss something. I know I won't, but I can't convince my brain otherwise. You're my hero.
I totally get why some folks need to plan, its just not in my DNA. I'm quite literally scheduled at work from 7am to usually at least 4, if not 5, so a bit of unscheduled time is what I need on vacation. Now sometimes it doesn't work in our favor, but I'd say we look out most of the time. You'll be glad to know thought that we do have a whole 2 ADRs made for our February trip, though I know we'll likely cancel one of them already :-)

Episode XI Part 1: Counter Service Wars: Theme Parks Edge

Those of you who have read my reports previously know that Counter Service isn’t really our thing. I know it has improved significantly over the years, but we much prefer to sit down to leisurely meal than stand in line waiting for food.

Because of this one place that we have never tried, and always wanted to, was
Les Halles Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot. And since we could walk right there from the Beach Club it seemed a perfect breakfast choice.

I got a chocolate croissant, which unfortunately tasted like it was a few days old and it was also very cold like it had been frozen.

Jason was the better orderer and went with the chocolate brioche which was rich and dense, in only the best way, but it was also very cold and bordering on frozen.
P1000204.jpg

Casey was the winner with a beignet filled with hazelnut. Of course you can’t go wrong with a doughnut stuffed with a nutella like substance and lucky for her this item was actually on the fresh side.

Overall I was a bit disappointed in our visit here. I had this idyllic notion of sauntering into a Parisian bakery and eating freshly prepared pastries and sadly I was just reminded that I was in a theme park.

After our snack we made our way over to Future World and washed it down with the American version of breakfast….

Soda!!!!

From there we visited Casey’s favorite purple dragon and swam in the big blue world, before starring in our very own Chevy infomercial.

Clearly Chevy has a new model in their midst.

After that I was able to pick up a 4thFP for Character Spot where we did our best to model like a normal family in Disney World.

And Casey had tons-o-fun with the characters.

Continued in next post….

Last edited:
Episode XI Part 2: Counter Service Wars: Healthy’s Edge

We were on a FP roll this day and next we were able to hit Soarin where we ended up stopping in Sunshine Seasons for our (gasp) 2nd counter service meal of the day. :scared1:

Jason got his inner Kelly (aka @buzzrelly) on with a Power Salad which is Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli Slaw, Chicory with Quinoa, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Almonds with a Spiced Honey Vinaigrette topped with a Sliced Chicken Breast

I must say this was pretty darn good. The kale was fresh and the goat cheese added a nice creaminess. Unfortunately the chicken was way too dry, but the rest was all a nice break from all the heaviness we’d had.

Wanting to break from the heaviness ourselves Casey and I decided to share the Turkey Breast Club Sandwich with Avocado and Bacon.

This came with a side of potato salad which was nice and vinegary and I very much enjoyed it. As for the sandwich in case it isn’t evident there was WAY too much bread here, but the turkey was very moist and clearly carved vice being just deli style. It went well with the avocado and had a slightly spicy aioli on it, but I can’t speak to the bacon as someone stole that for herself.

Speaking of someone she didn’t get the healthy memo and elected to get her Doritos on, something she is rarely allowed to have at home.

While we don’t get here very often I think Sunshine Seasons is one of the best counter services on property. The food is lighter and fresher than most other options, which after 5 days of gluttony was desperately needed. We even gave our livers a break and had a few waters instead of some tipsy drinks.

After lunch our FP hot streak continued picking up extras for Living with the Land, Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth.

Where Casey got to ride by herself for the first time!

We even had some time to stop for a Mickey Ice Cream along the way.

As we started walking back toward our hotel I was able to get yet another FP, this time for Frozen Ever After so we could get our Anna and Elsa on.

As with most of you I’m not a big fan of this ride (RIP Maelstrom) or the worst ride photo on the planet, but I take great joy in playing the FP game so we were riding this out of sheer ego if nothing else. On the way out we did grab a Schoolbread for later, because when in Arendelle, um I mean Norway.:P

Up next, a former favorite disappoints but our fast pass luck continues.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter