Digital Scrapping FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started with PSE 7. I either watched a tutorial or someone here helped, but for the quick pages (I hope I explain this right)...you click on the layer you want to add your picture to, then drag your photo onto that layer and then hit control G (to group with the layer) it sends the picture behind the frame you want and you can then resize or move the photo around to fit the frame better. I got PSE for Xmas and was sooo overwhelmed. There are alot of tutorials out there(free ones)..some I understood and some I did not. So once I found one or two I understood and played around some it was better. I am still no way near an expert, but I can build pages and do quick pages and I'll learn as I go. Best wishes. :o)

Got another question....I downloaded 6 quick pages and it looks like they are 8x8....how can I get these to 12x12 in Photoshop??? I'm so frustrated that the ad didn't say the size before I purchased.

Hmm.. if the qp's are 8x8, and they weren't disclosed anywhere on the package, (or description) then i would definately email the designer -- Are you sure they are 8x8?

Sadly, i think if they ARE in fact 8x8, you can't "upsize" them to 12x12 without loosing the quality - but i may be wrong in that..

I have my book ready for printing at Shutterfly...my question is with the covers/spine...I've downloaded and used the cover/spine from the Shutterfly webiste. After I've merged the layers and made a hi-res jpeg, I've copied the cover into the "book" on the shutterfly webiste...

1. my first problem is that the image is not the entire image when added into the "book"...it seems to be cropped a bit...I've done one other book and didn't run into this...did I do something wrong when I saved it?

2. my second problem is that they Shutterfly website doesn't want to allow me to add my spine...when I drag it into the "book", it pops back into the pictures area...I've tried to communicate my problem with Shutterfly help desk, but I'm not getting anywhere with them...can anyone here help me?

I've got 3 large books that are ready to print and I'd really like to take advantage of the sale going on now..

Thanks!

The templates from the Shutterfly site always need a lot of tweeking. Their "space" includes the part that will fold over the edges. Make sure that anything important like a picture or text is quite a bit moved over, so that it doesn't end up partially folded over.

I always have a ton of problems with the spine too, just keep deleting and retrying and eventually it will work. Of all the sites I've tried, their software can be the most irritating, but I love their books and prices, so we get the irritation in exchange!

Thanks, Fran...I got so frustrated that I've taken a few days off from trying (and also fighting a bad cold), so I'll keep trying...glad to know it's not just me.

Shutterfly has "specs" for all of their books. I, too, was so frustrated when I was working on my first online book at Shutterfly. Then someone told me about the specs and it was SO much easier. I'm only up to seven posts so far so I still can't post links. But if you go to Shutterfly and do a search on specs, it will bring up the page for you to choose which specs you want to see.

Regarding the question above about resizing an 8x8 page to 12x12 . . . When I first started designing the elements/backgrounds in my Disney-esque series, I made everything for an 8x8 page. I don't know why. Like I said, I had just started designing. LOL. Anyway, when a customer asked me if my pages could be resized to 12x12, I did my own quality check. I took elements and backgrounds from several of my kits, stretched them to fit on a 12x12 page, then took them to Sam's Club (where I take all my print jobs). I can say with certainty that there wasn't any noticeable loss of quality, and I'm big on quality!.

There are professional designers who argue that there is no noticeable difference between elements/backgrounds designed at 200 dpi as opposed to 300 dpi. It's just that the design standard has become 300 dpi and no one wants to veer away from that for fear people will think their designs are lesser quality.

When I contributed to a "how-to" digital design book a while back, we were asked to design at 200 dpi instead of 300 dpi. These were professionals who have written several books so I'm sure they know what they're doing. ;-)

But out of habit, I still even do my own layouts at 300 dpi. But it's also partly because that's the standard and it's easier to not have to resize all the elements.

Sorry to have written a "book" here. But those of you who may know me, know that I never say something in two sentences that I could write in five or six paragraphs! LOL.

Photoshop does not really know inches, it knows pixels. Inches without pixels per inch doesn't mean much anyway, so we are back to pixels. If the page has enough pixels it can be printed at 8x8, 12x12, or even larger.

Most printers will get maximum quality at somewhere between 240 and 300 ppi. More is just wasted, less is a decrease in quality. 200 is kind of low, the difference may not be noticeable but we are not getting maximum quality (on an inkjet printer, other types may need more or less ppi). As printers get better this may become more of an issue.

I set mine to 12x12 x 300 dpi so I know they will print at maximum quality. Btw, I print at home (Canon Pro 9000, Ilford Smooth Pearl).

Ok...I need help! I am very new to this and I really want to do it. I guess I need some type of program?? I can't just download stuff and put pictures in it without a program. Right?? I know a enough about using computers, but I dont understand all of the letters and intials. Is digital scrapping going to be over my head?? Should I stick to Shutterfly books??
If I do digital scrapbooking is it easier to print out 12x12 pages and put them into a book or just print out a book online??
Sorry for all the questions. I am a bit overwhelmed.:scared:

Another GREAT new forum for challenges is www.scrapable.net - this is a new store that will be big soon i predict! Very well laid out!

Ok...I need help! I am very new to this and I really want to do it. I guess I need some type of program?? I can't just download stuff and put pictures in it without a program. Right?? I know a enough about using computers, but I dont understand all of the letters and intials. Is digital scrapping going to be over my head?? Should I stick to Shutterfly books??
If I do digital scrapbooking is it easier to print out 12x12 pages and put them into a book or just print out a book online??
Sorry for all the questions. I am a bit overwhelmed.:scared:

First, just take a deep breath. LOL. Start out simple and easy until you get the hang of it. Yes, you will need some kind of program. Most people that I know use Photoshop CS or Photoshop Elements. A lot of people also use Paintshop Pro I think it is. If you decide to go with Photoshop, I'd start with Photoshop Elements as it's much cheaper and less complicated.

A good way to start is with quick pages. These are pages that designers have made and sell (or you can find some free ones). The openings in the pages are transparent so that all you have to do is drop your photo behind the page layer, add some journaling and you're all done!

This seems like a really good group to ask questions of. Don't get frustrated, just ask questions.

Hi folks

My DF has just signed up as we are both now loving the Scrapbook Community!

I'm currently trying to access files via Photoshop Version 5 - I can open up the jpeg files as backgrounds but when I try and open any png files, select all of them and then try to add it on, I'm getting everything, including lots of white borders.

I'm sure I'm not doing something very basic so any guidance you can provide to help get me started would be fabulous!

:wizard:

there are lots of tutorials about how to create a layout in pse, misty cato has one on her blog, if you do a google search it should show up.

scrapgirls.com has some ebooks called something like everything you need to know about digitalscrapbooking. I bought them both when I was first getting started. They were a real life saver as up to that point I was ready to just chuck the whole thing.

Good luck!

Hi, I'm not new to paper scrapbooking but I really want to go digital! I have downloaded a trail version of PhotoShop Elements 7 (24 days left to decide). I'm really stupid when it comes to stuff like this, so I'm going to need someone to hold my hand while I learn this program, if thats ok with you all.

When I open Pse7, a window opens up with a girl with butterfly wings. On top there are 4 buttons (organize, edit, create, share). I understand that I can organize my photo and store them in this program but do I want too?

The Edit button is to fix or enhance my photos (I know that) but do I have to have my photos in the Organize part of this program to use the edit?

So when I have my photo's picked out and am ready to creat my layout I'll hit the create button, right? OK so pse 7 create opens up and it asked me "what would you like to create?". I plan on making ordering photobooks in the end, so do I click on Photo book, (I'm not making a calendar so I know i'm not using that one), or Photo Collage?

What do I do from here? I have manage to make two layout pages using photo collage but I'm not sure thats what I should be doing. Now, back to when I open pse7 the program brings up my two layouts that I have put together. What do I do with these if I want to start a new page. I can't figure out how to get these off my screen!!!

Thanks for the help.

I'm in PSE 5 so I can't totally help you, but I can offer out some knowledge for whatever it's worth.

I think a lot of people use a photo organizer because it makes it easier in the long run to find what you're looking for. I never got the hang of the PSE one and it made my computer, s l o w anyway, so I never did it. Sometimes I really, really wish I had started out with an organizer but at this point it's just too daunting an idea.

I don't use any of the suggestions for starting my new LO. I do File, New, Blank File. Then I do my picks which are for a 12X12, 300 dpi, transparent LO. I never really looked at the create option. Maybe I should have! LOL

As for how to make your older LO go away, I'm sorry I can't help you there. Mine doesn't do that. Must be a newer thing.

I hope I've helped you out somewhat anyway. Good luck!

to create your new layout you need to choose the edit option rather than create then choose file/blank file etc. as previously posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter