Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

I'm in! We downsized from almost 3000 sq ft to 1500 sq ft in March last year. We did a massive purge then and it felt great. We are at the 9 month mark and I am already feeling like the storage areas are closing in, closets getting too full, cupboards feeling disorganized etc. The thing with destashing, especially in a smaller home, is that it has to be done on a continual basis. At least it does for us. I feel like if I let it go for even a month, I'm amazed at how quickly it accumulates in a family of four. DD22 is moving into her own place this year so she will take quite a bit with her. I will miss her but I wont miss the extra stuff.:rolleyes: I really need to go through clothes and kitchen cupboards first so I will commit to doing that first. I will start with 10 items today.

I think I'll hop in for this one. I have a lot of clothes that need to go and don't fit me as well as a HUGE JP dinosaur collection in the toy room that I'm thinking of selling. I could use the cash and the space. Maybe some older dolls as well, I know I still have some mint in box Monster High and some doll furniture that I just don't use. The problem is listing and selling as it's worth too much to drop onto the local thrift store.
I know the feeling, we buy a lot of the kids clothes at the local thrift shops.... i try and bring a bag everytime i go cause i know im leaving with more than i donate. I have goodluck selling lots of toys on nextdoor.com they sell really fast if you price the lot for 10-20 bucks

My oldest DD (28) is very green - no plastic- vegan - organic - carries stainless steel food containers for leftovers. Bamboo fork in her purse for eating out where plastic is used. Only bought organic material clothing at re-sell outlets. Yet our large walk in closet was filled with her childhood! She and I filled the back of my van, seats folded down, with stuff for Goodwill. We filled a large outdoor trash can with paper for recycling. She was in art for 4 years of HS and college and saved EVERY assignment, every notebook, it was a lot. Probably 40 point-shoes and a dozen formal dresses and dance costumes. She collected Tiggers. Kept 2. Someone at Goodwill will be happy to find the others.

But it’s like we lost a literal ton! Freed up 1/2 the closet.

I'm in!

I know I have pack rat tendencies and the small city apartment my husband and I rent is currently a disaster with just piles of things everywhere. We've been saying for a while now that "we're working on it" and maybe we have but not hard enough to really see progress.

Last February my family moved my grandparents out of their home into a retirement building. We had all joked for years about my grandmother being a hoarder, well … turns out it wasn't much of a joke. The clean up process was massive and now almost a year later, everything has been sorted, disposed of, boxed up, etc. We still have no clue what to do with a large amount of her "treasures" but after this experience I think we are all VERY ready to downsize and truly look at our belongings and decide what do we actually need.

In our city there is a trading facebook group that I try to use pretty often to get rid of things. I normally trade for household consumables ( dish soap, toilet paper, etc) but people can be flaky and not end up following thru to take the items. I think I just need to wrap my head that as much as someone may still find use in the item, I need to let it go and allow them to find it at a donation/resale retailer, rather than waiting it out to receive some benefit from the item.

My husband has this week off work and yesterday started to go through clothes ( :worship:) and managed to pack up 2 very garbage bags to throw out and he's just scratching the surface. The number of worn out socks, band t-shirts and ripped jeans he was finding in the closet and drawers was wild! He still has clothes from his early years at college ( 2007?) and its time for them to go!

It sounds like a large number but I am going to put it out there that we're aiming to declutter 400 items and I would roughly guess his garbage bags had at least 50 items (I am sure there was more but 50 seems like a reasonable guess).

so! 50/400

I got my DH to help go through a drawer of mystery cords and chargers, and was able to get rid of some. A lot I did keep, but consolidated in a box. I figure if we don't open the box for a year or two, they all can be safely tossed. Feels good to be making progress in my kitchen!

I'm in again. I still have my old job, but I got hired as a TA, cannot say where, since it is against board policy, but it is going to take me 3 years to really get established, thus keeping my old job. So we cleaned out a bedroom our daughter had when we moved to the new house, then she moved out, got married, and moved back 2 years later. She and her husband lived with us 6 months, the last 3 months, where with the new grand baby. Anyways, I am making that bedroom, my work office. So I cleaned out all the dresser drawers full of clothes and the closet full of clothes. They kept clothes at my house, so they didn't have to pack up when they come and stay. They now live only 30 miles away. Organized the other bedroom with the crib, changing table and chair. I am excited to make the room my own. My expense was a new laptop and monitors and a standing desk. I want to get a comfy work chair though. Also, I need a bulletin board. I just printed out a cute calendar with the months of the year and there is a slot for each day in the month. You can color in the day or put a star for each day I work out and exercise. Nothing like motivation to work out.

I am going to try to get rid of 2020 items.

We cleaned out some clothes
10 shirts
4 fleece shirts
5 pants
2 winter coats.
I cleaned out my purse
10 receipts.

32/2020

I asked DH to go thru his side of the closet, he gave me 1 bag to get rid of. This is going to be a slow process with him. lol I got rid of 3 items today via Facebook marketplace and made $7 for my Disney fund. Tonight when I get home I will be posting a small TV and Blue ray player that is in our room that is never used. It is just collecting dust.

I'm in. I did this a long while ago & it worked, but then I didn't continue and the accumulation snowballed without accountability......so I need to get re-started.

Upstairs bedrooms are being tossed as kid #1 is moving to guest room, guest room is moving to kid #2 room & kid #2 is moving to kid #1 room, which just makes me tired to think about, but has been in planning for over 18 months now. It's time to DO!!

I'm going to hope for 1000 items out by end of year.

January goals: Christmas stuff packed away
Water stains on ceilings fixed
Kid #1 room destashed for upstairs overhaul.

I have 4 big shopping bags ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow. I have 5 things I want to sell on Facebook/Nextdoor, but have noticed a huge uptick of things for sale in the last couple days, so I am going to wait a bit to post them when the rush of New Year's Resolutioners who are going to declutter wears down.

2 pocket calculators and 1 pair of socks added to bag for charity shop plus cello tape dispenser for the bin. Now at 71 items and feeling great 👍

71/500

Last edited:
Looking to declutter this year as clutter triggers my anxiety. We are also campers and camp a lot through the spring/summer/fall and I would like to be able to come home to a clean, clutter free house at the end of our weekend camping trips. So far I have two boxes and two large shopping bags to take to the thrift store. I'm hoping to do it tomorrow, but off sick from work today so I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I'm in! I just purged the mug cabinet with more likely to follow. We purged all the old kiddie plates and cups. Kids did round 1 of their clothes and some toys and books and I have 2 huge garbage bags full. I'm prepping for round 2 for me -- skirts this time. And an old double box springs and mattress we haven't used in 2 years has got to go. Feels so good to let go of this stuff and makes keeping tidy so much easier!

I joined last year & did pretty well, selling a ton at my yard sale & a consignment sale. I think we made over $1100!

This year I am hoping to do a yard sale & another consignment sale.

Today I cleaned the formal rooms, which resulted in 3 things being thrown away, 8 items for consignment, and about 5 for the yard sale. I can’t wait to tackle the kitchen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter