Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

We moved into this house 25.5 years ago. We put stuff in the attic when we moved in and it’s still there!!! I pledge to clean it out this year. Each week I will throw out the ridiculous and donate what I can.
Today I found a box of drapes that I think I took down when we moved in!!! They were never mine anyway. Yesterday it was 20 curtain rods!! I have gone through Christmas decorations and discarded anything that doesn't bring a memory AND Joy. I reorganized the Christmas stuff. There is a lot more to do but it’s better already. Did I mention that at one time I saved ALLof 4 daughters’ clothes and toys and books. I am reformed and reducing. I am only keeping special clothes, toys and books.

I'm in for this year. My goal is to clear the previous owner's stuff out of the 2 out buildings. One of them needs to be torn down, it's already half collapsed. I'm going to try to do this before the weather warms back up because - 🐍. The other has a ton of stuff that we can use (yard and irrigation stuff and some neat tools), but it needs to be sorted and organized. We put a ton of our stuff in there a couple of years ago when we moved in as well. If we haven't needed it in 2 years, it needs to leave.

I took a bunch of the kids books to goodwill before the holidays and cleared off the built ins in my living room. I'd like to paint them at some point, so it was good to get that done. I also sold a toy kitchen that my kids had outgrown that took up way too much space.

Inside the house I've got 3 rooms I'm working on in tandem. DH runs a business out of the house and it has taken over the better part of 3 rooms. We have a dining room space that was empty so over the holiday break I got him some office furniture and set up an office in there for him. Now I'm trying to get the rest of his clutter out of the other rooms. I'd like to set myself up a small studio space in one. It's slowly getting better.

Christmas decorations down.
Went to the basement and started a trash bag.
2 decorative pillows from the couch.
1 old wrapping paper
Scrap Christmas paper
10 pieces of Scrap material for making quilts
1 broken suitcase
2 recycled boxes

Old food in Refrigerator
At least 10 items
2 prep food containers-they break so easy.

I want to throw out the fake Christmas tree, but I have been pricing clearance trees on line, and they still want so much for them. So I boxed mine back up.

73/2020

I got rid of a TV, Blu Ray Player, Portable DVD Writer, Adidas laptop bag, and Vera Bradley make up bag this week! Still trying to get DH and DD to purge. DH gave me the Adidas laptop bag so I got one item from him at least. LOL

35/100

So I needed help with a weekly/monthly cleaning chore list, for myself and I came across housewifehowtos.com and then a few links later I discovered her books. So I pay for kindle unlimited and both of her books are on there for free for me! So I have started with her 30 days to a clean and organized house: a complete guide to transforming your home. I printed out her check lists for daily and weekly cleanings but right now I'm following the book.

I just finished Day 2 which was not only the daily 'tidying' but also clean the fridge. Like take all the food out cleaning! We purge our fridge pretty regularly so I only tossed maybe 2 other items that needed to go but I did wash it. All the parts! Good thing it's cold out bc I was able to put all my food outside! Then clean out under the kitchen sink cabinet, including washing it. 2 items are being donated to Goodwill from that cabinet. I still have to give our dresser and tv stand a good cleaning to get the rest of day 3 done but otherwise I'm doing pretty good.

Tuesday is garbage/recycling, so we are making a pass through the basement every Sunday to see what we can get rid of every two weeks. This week, we threw away 8 old dried up paint cans, a container of dried out grout and some miscellaneous household goods. We recycled 6 boxes of things we don't have anymore (wii, Keurig, etc) and things we do still have, but don't need the boxes anymore (sump pump, garbage disposal).

A little bit at a time!!

Made some nice progress on things this weekend. We're working on a house project and during that I've also been decluttering and pitching and using up. I've tossed 4 nice bags of just trash. I feel like I'm getting a cold, so I slowed down a little today but I did a nice purge of papers and rearranged things to get ready for tax time. Shredded quite a lot too.

This weekend I went through one of my bookcases and a tub of clothes. My 20 year old daughter saw me and went through some of her room as well. Between both of us we found 99 items to donate. Plus I sold one thing on ebay.

I dropped the donation items off today and shipped out the ebay item.

Total gone so far this year:

109/500

Now I'm starting to feel like I am accomplishing something.

Okie doke this morning I cleared 6 items from the cutlery drawer and 2 more from the arts and crafts kids cupboard plus my son clears 2 bags of stuff from his room ( I didn’t look in the bags in case I was tempted to put stuff back 😂). So that’s another 10 things gone for a total of ??
I have to go to my last post and check as my memory has turned to mush :rotfl2:
ETA 87/500

Joining in late, but I’m in! Four months ago we moved from a decently large house with lots of storage space to a smaller apartment with hardly any storage space. I purged so much then-I’m talking pickup trucks filled with stuff. (22 years worth). We’re moving again in the next few months (I hate apartment living, but I did what I had to do after the divorce). I’m a pack rat and I just can’t do that in this apartment. There’s no hiding it here. Lol Plus I don’t want to be hauling junk to the new house, whenever that might be.

So. I’m in for 520 things.

1 bag or random stuff/clothes to Goodwill and 2 boxes of books to the library (they have a section of books for sale for .25-1.00). Today I will tackle another bookcase that is overflowing with books. Tomorrow will be DD's room. I expect another box or 2 of books and at least a bag from DD's room.

Already planning what I'm going to get rid of over the 3 day weekend.

First up, the 2 boxes of DVDs that I tried to take to goodwill a few months ago. DH decided last minute that he wanted to go through them and put them back in the car. They have sat on the carport ever since, I don't think he even remembers they are there. While he's at work this weekend, those are going. We have seriously not watched a movie on DVD in years. I already got his favorites out.

Second up, a bunch of suitcases I took out of the hall closet to make room for Christmas decorations (so nice to have a place in the main part of the house for them and not have to drag them up and down the attic stairs).

Third, it's supposed to be cold but somewhat dry after weeks of rain, I'm going to get as much stuff out of the collapsed building as I can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!