Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

Starting off this year with a quick rush since I was off from work last week

6 pictures w/ frames (been sitting on the floor for months) - hung up
1 paint brush - used up
2 tubes of caulking - used up
2 cans of spray insulation - used up
3 new outlet covers - installed in spare room (on hand over a year)
2 light fixtures - installed (on hand for over a year)
1 Fire stick - installed for Disney+ (was a gift 2 years ago)

1 broken plastic putty knife - trashed
1 pair of socks - trashed
2 dead batteries - trashed
1 small photo album - trashed
2 used light fixtures (been sitting around for about 6 months) - trashed
1 broken pair of scissors - trashed
1 bag of expired candy - trashed
1 binder - trashed
9 picture frame backers (have no frames that match??) - trashed
5 broken strings of x-mas lights - trashed

2 large handfuls of various used greeting cards - recycled
2 2” binders worth of paper - recycled
1 laptop - recycled
1 printer - recycled
18 ink cartridges - recycled
6 VHS tapes - recycled

17 books - donated
1 X-Mas ornament - donated
1 sandwich bag of misc legos - to DS’s house

88 items of 500 or 17.6% of goal

I’d like to join in. I’m a teacher with pack rat tendencies. For about 5 years, I was doing a decent job deep cleaning & purging over my summer break. However, this past summer, I did very little. I feel like setting a goal will help motivate me and keep me from sliding back into bad habits.

I’ve never kept track of how many items left my house, so I’m unsure what is a realistic goal. I think I’ll start with 500 items. To hold myself accountable, I’m setting some ground rules for myself regarding things I don’t struggle with keeping. If it’s something I would normally trash (broken, unusable, expired), I’m not going to count it at all. Since my sons are growing, I’m not going to count their individual clothing/shoe items that leave our house. I think I’ll count their things in sets (ie - 1 group of shirts, 1 group of pants).

Goal = 500 items

I've earmarked a flat screen for goodwill tomorrow. Took it off the wall and put a larger one up last year. Old one has been collecting dust. got to go.

1 of 500.

I’m in for 1,000 items. One of my goals is to use up what we have, so I’m also going to count things when I use them up instead of buying more to use (not things like toothpaste, but random things I’ve stored for over a year).

donated— 2 kids shirts, 3 Christmas items I didn’t like, and a box of misc.
used up— placemats, paper plates, and napkins for Christmas party instead of buying more
recycled— 5 strands of old Christmas lights
returned— 4 extra Christmas gifts instead of adding to gift closet

17/1000

I'm in again for 2020. This year I ended with 256 things gone. I had about the same in 2018 (I think). I am not sure where more I can purge. Well I would like to purge all of DH's nascar collection from probably 15-20 years ago. They are all boxed up and not displayed as interests have changed. However, his rationale is we can't get anything for them, so why not keep them and what harm are they doing doing. My thought is if they are never going to be used, they need to be gone.

My goal for 2020 will be pretty small at 100 items.

I'm updating my items to 250 now. We workout pretty routinely at home between treadmill and a bike on a trainer. We have been seeing commercials for a NoricTrack cycle trainer thing and we went and looked at them this past weekend. Decided we want one. But that means we majorly need to clean out our storage area to make room for this as you could do the training videos on the screen and some incorporate getting off the bike and doing floor or weight exercise so we need to make room for that. DH is the one that even said as much as he hates just sending all his nascar to goodwill he knows he will never display them again. So now it is bring on major purging to get that area setup for the bike. We figured maybe a couple months then we'll be ready to get it.

I am going to join this year. I really need to clean out our basement and kids toys. We still have some baby items (crib, bouncy seat, pack n play) that need to leave the house. We also have boxes we never unpacked when we moved in to our house 9 years ago.

I have bag of children's books ready to be donated and few other items I can probably sell. I also have tons of stuff that just needs to be used up, like plastic cups, paper plates that are leftover from birthday parties.

I hope to get rid of at least 1000 items this year and get the house more organized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!