Dealing pleasantly with "anti-scooter" people

I worry about the "anti scooter" people... but only because those people are my parents. I am young (30) and my doctor says I have a pinched nerve in my back and possibly lymphedema in my leg, so I shouldn't walk around at Disney especially since just a short trip to Target gives me pain. I am also Pooh-sized, and that is all my parents see. I will hope for the best on my upcoming trip (9/28-10/7) but I know they will comment.

I used a scooter last trip for a few days and only had an issue with a bus driver getting angry I was having a hard time parking my scooter on the bus. Other than that everyone was pleasant. It certainly saved my hips.

Have a good time, how can you not when you are at Disney? :goodvibes

Our trip after Thanksgiving we will be staying at Bonnet Creek so we will be using our car for the most part so that was another reason I was looking at a folding wheelchair that I can get in and out out of the trunk.

There are travel ECVs that easily break down in to multiple pieces and will fit in the trunk of almost any car (If you have a very small car you might need to put a couple of parts like the seat or the basket in the back seat, but the big pieces should fit in the trunk). The heaviest piece typically weighs no more than 35/40 lbs.

If she doesn't need the ECV to get to her room, you can leave it in the trunk and only take the battery pack in at night to charge. It is a clean, self-enclosed pack usually with a handle for easy carry, and has a charger that plugs into the wall.

JMO, be respectful as a scooter driver and you won't have problems. Do what you would do if driving a car. Look to your left or right and behind before turning.

Nothing pisses me off more than a person on a scooter who just turns without looking and runs into me or my child. I shouldn't have to watch where a person is driving, they should.

Just last week we were getting off the monorail and I was walking side by side with my son from one side, a person on a scooter was coming from the other side to walk down the ramp to exit the monorail area. This person literally drove diagonally through a crowd and as me and my son turned the corner right along the rail the person drove from one side, diagonally across to the other and rode right up along the wall cutting between me and my son. My son didnt realize (autism) and kept walking, the person kept driving without looking back, and I had to push through a crowd to catch up with my child.

I wish some people (not all because most are great with theirs) would remember that a scooter is there to aid you in getting around. It is not a right of way pass and does not give you permission to go where ever you want to go even if it means running into people and driving through crowds recklessly. If you just drive it like you drive a car,with the same observations and being cautious of what's around you, you'll be alright.

We were there 10 days, and spent a good 10 hours a day out and about and only had one bad scooter experience. I made a friend at our resort on a scooter and she told me how she doesn't use one at home but at Disney she needs it. Hopefully most people realize that some people have disabilities or limitations that are not visible and treat you nicely. If they don't, ignore them. You'll never see them again.

My son has autism and OCD and this past trip he ripped his face apart, literally!! It started with a scratch in the corner of his mouth which he rubbed, licked, picked REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT until he was rubbed raw almost from ear to ear. He looked like the Joker from the BAtman movies met Freddie Krueger and had babies. It was ugly, horrible and disgusting and for once we went someplace and my child didn't get stared at for doing his quirky little autism things. They stared at him because he was freakishly scary looking, yes I just said that about my own child. LOL Kids stared but what can you do? One guy not only stared at my kid like he had three heads I watched him walk around the other side of our table to look at him from the other side. I passed a remark at him and he walked away. I don't care. I won't see them again and they'll be rude and ignorant forever, I can't change that.

Enjoy your trip. Use your scooter. Be a polite driver and don't worry about what anyone thinks or says. Remember if you don't give them a reason to say something negative to you, then whatever they do say is on them!

If you need an ECV get one, and don't worry about public opinion. Some people do fail to think sometimes, and don't realize that there are all kinds of not-so-apparent disabilities. I think most individuals would prefer to walk, rather than negotiate through a crowd in one of those things. I injured my ankle a couple of years ago and needed to use one in stores, and Oh, my was it a pain, plus I was an inadvertent menace to other shoppers and my own family since I'm not used to operating one and I don't drive either.

We did, however see an entire family riding on ECV's and playing tag on them in EPCOT, and I do think that kind of thing can give them a bad name. I would assume that at least one of the family members (and possibly all of them) needed an ECV to tour, but they were not exactly behaving responsibly.

You can't always depend on an ECV being available at the parks. Sometimes they run out, especially if you aren't there first thing in the morning. Also, it can be a very long walk from where the bus stops to the rental place at the parks.

I've had to use a ECV twice while at WDW after I dislocated my knee. The first time I had to use it was on my BF's birthday and about 5 days after my accident. We were in line for the nemo ride and some turned around, looked at me, then turned back to his wive and said " I bet she thought that thing would get her on rides faster, hope shes knows I'm not letting her past me" When the wife turned around to look at me, I said, in the sweetest voice I could muster up at the moment, " I would love to not have to use this "thing" today. I wish I could walk around, but that unfortunately isn't an option since my knee is hurt. I hope that if you ever get hurt, you never have to listen to someone talk so badly about you" And with that, EVERYONE around us turned and looked at him with such disapproving looks. For every person who is rude about the ECV, there are 20 others that have no problem helping you out. The rest of that day and the second time I had to use one, I had no problems at all. Most people are happy to help you if you need it!

I was using a scooter on a solo trip last week. I was in line first thing in the morning for Toy Story.o The line started outside, and when we finally made it to the door, the man behind me, asked "How come they didn't let you go to the front? Don't they usually?" I explained to him that most rides, especially the newer ones, were built with accessibility in mind, so we go through the regular lines too. But that in this ride I would get "siphoned" off because there are some stairs to go up. When we got to that point, the CM sent that family with me. I don't know if she thought they were with me (she didn't ask) or what. We were there together in the little holding area waiting for them to send a car our way....we were the only ones there, so that could be why they were sent along with me....to fill the rest of the car. At one point I noticed going across the "bridge" the couple that was just ahead of me in line. I pointed them out to the man behind me, because they were talking amongst themselves that they weren't going to have to wait as long now. By the time we got a car and were loaded and moved up to the regular loading area, the couple that was ahead of me were at the front of the gate ready to load in the next car. So basically, we moved about one car ahead of where we would have been had we walked through the line.

Later that day I used my fast pass, and parked my scooter since I wouldn't have to stand as long in line. This time, when I got to where they siphon off the wheel chairs, they were lined up clear back to that point. If Ihad brought my scooter in that time I would have waited much longer than without it. I wished that family could have been with me to see that line and to realize that sometimes you get a little bit of an advantage, and other times you are at a disadvantage.

While I've seen anti-Scooter people posting bravely from behind their monitors, once in the parks I didn't really come across that many. Granted, I was in a wheelchair, but still.

The few that I did come across were mostly just tired and cranky overall.

But really, while I spent the year before I went trying to figure out a way to say "I'm Disabled even though I don't look it" that would keep people off my back I'm now convinced that anyone who doesn't know you doesn't have to know your medical history.

After all, you aren't asking them their Credit History when they buy souvenirs...:rotfl2:

The last couple of times DH & I went to WDW he used an EVC. To look at DH back then he did not look like he needed an EVC but physically he was just not able to walk 10 feet without his legs giving out. He had/has Diabetes and vascular issues. I can't tell you the number of rude comments I heard, not to mention the nasty looks!!

He's now an above-the-knee amputee. He still can't walk long distances so you better believe he'll be using an EVC when we go down next week!

I wish all those people who make rude comments or give nasty looks would just mind their own businesses! I think the comments upset me more than DH - he pretty much ignored all the comments. Having been teased as a child for being overweight - I hate it when others have to endure rude comments and such.

The last couple of times DH & I went to WDW he used an EVC. To look at DH back then he did not look like he needed an EVC but physically he was just not able to walk 10 feet without his legs giving out. He had/has Diabetes and vascular issues. I can't tell you the number of rude comments I heard, not to mention the nasty looks!!

He's now an above-the-knee amputee. He still can't walk long distances so you better believe he'll be using an EVC when we go down next week!

I wish all those people who make rude comments or give nasty looks would just mind their own businesses! I think the comments upset me more than DH - he pretty much ignored all the comments. Having been teased as a child for being overweight - I hate it when others have to endure rude comments and such.

I can empathize with your DH because I had the same procedure. The leg was just the beginning. Many more vascular surgeries followed in other places. I'm pretty much under good control now. But I always had difficulty finding my balance to walk on my artificial leg so I use my ECV full time. I have a lift in the mini-van and I keep the ECV there. I use a WC in the house, and a walker.

Your last comment was telling. Your heart is going out to DH, which brings up memories of wrongs you suffered growing up. I understand that. But you can't conflate your bad childhood memories with your DH's problem. He is a grown up who maybe wasn't picked on in childhood, who was able-bodied his whole life. If he's like me, he might see himself as still just the same as anyone else, except for a bum leg. I know this is all new to you and DH. But you have to do what he does - feel like you always did before. DH does not need you to be his bodyguard or point man against the nasties in the world. He can handle it just fine. You need to just be his companion, enjoy your time with him, and don't micro-analyze strangers who don't matter anyway. Attempting to "protect" DH against other people will make him feel inadequate or feeble to handle people himself. Stop focusing on that stuff.

My DH has passed away. He was a great helper to me, but that's over. I have been on many trips to WDW solo, in my ECV. I drive myself solo from WV. I also drive solo to Denver to visit my DD. I do my own shopping and get stuff in and out of the house, altho it's a struggle. Find peace and acceptance of your new circumstances, and be grateful to have a loving DH who still wants to go to WDW. Forget about everything else. It's good advice. :)

we were at DW last September. While there, there was one family who refused to wait in line. In fact, they bragged to everyone that they stood in the shade until the bus pulled up, then had the 50'ish woman in the ECV (very overweight, but so am I) pull forward yelling I get on the bus first, I'm disabled!

Then she'd get her party of (no joke) 15 on the bus too, because they won't split up parties, apparently.

This family annoyed the snot out of me because they were A) rude B) inconsiderate and C) wrong.

The DW drivers loaded them first every time (they were at our resort).

Believe me, they endured a LOT of negative comments, and would laugh and gloat the whole time on the bus. Guess they're angry they had to wait again for a bus ha ha! that sort of stuff.

There was another instance, where two large ladies were traveling together, both on scooters. They'd waited, (in the waiting area for WC/ECV) the drivers loaded them on, and their party waited back in the line.

These two women were commented on the entire time we waited for a resort bus from DTD. The people behind us inline were AWFUL!! Going on about fat people and how they should just stay home if they were too fat to walk, that they were obviously lazy etc. I was almost in tears!!!

They just ignored the commenters, chit chatted between them, told their companions to ignore it, and the people STILL kept going on. It was awful.

I have no problem with people who require ECV's. I do have problems with selfish entitled JERKS though! :)

Sorry to say but I am one of those "anti-scooter" people. Why, because I have multiple sclerosis and am visual impaired (legally blind). I walk with a very bright cane and using my daughter and or husband with assistance. I walk slowly and like someone drunk because of balance issue and you will hear my husband saying cue's like step up, come left, come more right. We go every year and every year I get ran over by scooter's or they come to close and hit my cane, several times. Don't worry you will get to the ride way before me.

Sorry to say but I am one of those "anti-scooter" people. Why, because I have multiple sclerosis and am visual impaired (legally blind). I walk with a very bright cane and using my daughter and or husband with assistance. I walk slowly and like someone drunk because of balance issue and you will hear my husband saying cue's like step up, come left, come more right. We go every year and every year I get ran over by scooter's or they come to close and hit my cane, several times. Don't worry you will get to the ride way before me.

I understand. My feet hurt a lot!BUT, I totally understand why people choose to use ECVs. My foot condition makes me more sympathetic to those in scooters, not less.

I would think that some people would be in less pain than myself, and very many people would be in much worse pain than myself. I imagine that anyone willing to pay $300 to avoid walking would be in a great deal of pain, and are not just LAZY. They need the scooter!

In reply to Mickey's Apprentice. I apologize, I wasn't calling anyone LAZY. If you need to use a mobility device of any kind "more power to ya'". play on words there.. I was just saying in my experience, since I have been using the cane, I get ran over and knocked over by more people using a scooter than others. I just get cautious and a little anxious at the parks, because I have been hit and knocked over several times by them. Again, I was not calling any LAZY and if was taken that way, my sincere apologies.

I have been using a scooter the past several times I visited. I have severe arthritis in my back and fibromyalgia (thanks mom!). You can't see either of these on my body, only that I'm overweight. which I realize. The scooter helps me enjoy with minimal pain, since I'm in pain 24/7. We just did 2 days at Epcot Food and Wine festival, the first day I used a scooter, big mistake! The crowds and rudeness abounded, I ran into so many people, not my fault, hubby had to walk in front of me, and I ran into him several times. Way too crowded there for a scooter. The second day I didn't get one, instead choosing to walk through, we made it to Germany, and took the boat back without finishing. Too much pain to finish, and again too crowded! I don't think I'll ever go on a weekend again, with or without a scooter!

I'll never go without an ECV again, I can enjoy with minimal pain!

We just did 2 days at Epcot Food and Wine festival, the first day I used a scooter, big mistake! The crowds and rudeness abounded, I ran into so many people, not my fault, hubby had to walk in front of me, and I ran into him several times. Way too crowded there for a scooter. The second day I didn't get one, instead choosing to walk through, we made it to Germany, and took the boat back without finishing. Too much pain to finish, and again too crowded! I don't think I'll ever go on a weekend again, with or without a scooter!

I'll never go without an ECV again, I can enjoy with minimal pain!

Kristy, weekends at F&W are too crowded for people, let alone people in ECVs.

If you can't avoid F&W on a weekend, my recommendation is to be at the entrance of World Showcase at 10:30 and get out of there by 2. It gets terribly crowded in the afternoon through to the night.

I rented a scooter through Apple scooters in May and it was wonderful. If you mention the Dis boards they will give you a discount. Much cheaper that through Disney.
I feel very guilty as I was one of those negative people in the past. I would never say anything to anyone but always asked myself if that person was just lazy or what.
But THAT HAS CHANGED. I had to use a scooter in May on a recent trip after being diagnosed with cancer in March. I was unable to walk for seveal months after my surgery and was just thankful to go to Disney.
I never experienced any issues a few looks but I was at Disney so who cared.
After spending that week ina scooter I am so looking forward to trying to return again in December and hopefully walk the whole time by myself. I will be more than willing to help anyone in a scooter on all future trips. Honestly I could not have enjoyed myself without the scooter but now I am very thankful I have a 2nd chance to walk on my own.
God bless all those people I may have judged prematurely in the past.

I rented a scooter through Apple scooters in May and it was wonderful. If you mention the Dis boards they will give you a discount. Much cheaper that through Disney.
I feel very guilty as I was one of those negative people in the past. I would never say anything to anyone but always asked myself if that person was just lazy or what.
But THAT HAS CHANGED. I had to use a scooter in May on a recent trip after being diagnosed with cancer in March. I was unable to walk for seveal months after my surgery and was just thankful to go to Disney.
I never experienced any issues a few looks but I was at Disney so who cared.
After spending that week ina scooter I am so looking forward to trying to return again in December and hopefully walk the whole time by myself. I will be more than willing to help anyone in a scooter on all future trips. Honestly I could not have enjoyed myself without the scooter but now I am very thankful I have a 2nd chance to walk on my own.
God bless all those people I may have judged prematurely in the past.

I was very moved by your post. Most important, I pray you have complete remission, and the strength to walk for your next trip to WDW. I think most people here know that true understanding of scooter use seems to only come from personal experience with a loved one or oneself. You were blind, but now you see, so to speak. It's OK, no guilt necessary. And thank you for your very kind comments. Good luck to you! :grouphug:

I had a family follow me around a Walmart saying I was fat and lazy it got to a point I left the store but Disney has been my safe haven.

Ignorant people are ignorant, and there is really nothing anyone can do about them, so I have learned not to allow their comments to bother me, although DD26 gets really angry when she feels people are attacking her mom. The worst experience I had wasn't with a comment though--it bordered on physical assult. Some woman rammed her child's stroller wheel under my scooter as she was trying to get down the Main Street sidewalk during the Parade. As I was starting to stand to get off the scooter so we could get the wheel out from under it, her husband reached down, grabbed the bottom edge of the scooter and tipped it over, tipping me off of it. Not only did it hurt like the blazes as I tried to recover my balance, the expletive deleted stood there and laughed at me and made a rude comment about me being on it in the first place. Thankfully, it was too crowded for my husband or daughter to get to him. I went into the nearest store and just sat there and shook and tried not to cry while I recovered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter