Dealing pleasantly with "anti-scooter" people

I very nicely smile at people and say "I don't run into people; if I did they would scream a lot and that annoys me."

I just got back from a very nice week in DW. It was the very first time I used a scooter. Get this I am 70 yrs old and I had the time of my life. My family and I are going again next year. As for negative looks or anything else,I didn't see or hear it. Was to busy enjoying getting around the parks. Only one mishap and that was from an adult male. He walked right in front of me and put his hand up like he was a traffic cop. :eek: He proceded to get his family to pass in front of me and then waved me on. I was startled at first but then I laffed out loud. I guess he thought that was the way to do things in America.:dance3:

The negative comments from people use to bother DW and I, but the taser quiets them down real quick. J/K :tiptoe: :joker::jester:

As someone who has never used an ECV, I offer this observation:

I am not annoyed with people in ECVs, I am annoyed with people who are inconsiderate. Many inconsiderate people are walking on their own two feet, it is the person not the mode of transportation that makes the difference.

If you need to use an ECV, then you need to use an ECV. This obviously isn't a choice you are making lightly. Try to be observant of others and hope that they try to be observant of you. If you are able to ditch the ECV when you go into a store or other small area (like a restaurant) then do so. If not, then don't worry about it.

I think the most trouble you will run into is at the end of the day at the buses. When the parks are closing, everyone starts to get grumpy. They are tired, they have tired kids or tired spouses, and they want to get to their hotel like everyone else. Some people handle this well, and other people get angry and say rude things to people in ECVs. Take it with a grain of salt (and if you've got one, a shot of tequila!).

Overall, just have fun!

I've used an ECV twice at WDW, once when I was pregnant, once after a bad foot injury. By all appearances I was young, healthy, and choosing to ride around rather than walk but things aren't always what they seem. I got a few horrible comments, one from a cast member, that I chose to ignore. The great majority of the time I found polite people offering to open doors, reach things on higher shelves for me, etc. Please don't let the bad apples spoil it for you.

I would 100% rather be walking than looking at butts and elbows all day long so anybody saying that somebody using an ECV because they're lazy doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm not grateful for the foot injury that had me using crutches, wheelchairs, and scooters for 8 months of my life, but I'm very thankful for the perspective and the understanding of what people who are dependent on them have to deal with. I think everybody should have to spend a week in those shoes (wheels?) to learn some things.

Ok off my soapbox, do what you have to do to enjoy Disney and don't worry about what anybody thinks! Have a fabulous trip!

As far as holding others up when it comes to loading onto buses, I look at it this way. You (one person) may hold up the bus when loading for a minute or two, but when you get to where you are going, they (could be as many as 50) are holding you up from getting off the bus. It works out fair and square in my book.

Let those with their bad attitude whine, and just ignore them.

As far as holding others up when it comes to loading onto buses, I look at it this way. You (one person) may hold up the bus when loading for a minute or two, but when you get to where you are going, they (could be as many as 50) are holding you up from getting off the bus. It works out fair and square in my book.

Let those with their bad attitude whine, and just ignore them.

While I agree with you wholeheartedly, I prefer to call the whiners IGNORANT instead of having a bad attitude. These types, most of whom have yet to experience physical injury or disease, suddenly "see the light" when they or a beloved family member need mobility equipment in the future. :)

We are going the week after thanksgiving and my wife has just been diagnosed with MS. No way she will have the endurance to walk. We are considering buying a folding wheelchair and having me push her around the park and probably walking through the queues. We thought of getting her a tshirt that says, "I'm not lazy, I have MS!"

We are going the week after thanksgiving and my wife has just been diagnosed with MS. No way she will have the endurance to walk. We are considering buying a folding wheelchair and having me push her around the park and probably walking through the queues. We thought of getting her a tshirt that says, "I'm not lazy, I have MS!"

Don't bother with the shirt. Ignorant people don't need an explanation. (I can give stink eye right back.) BTW, the wheelchair can go right through the line with everyone else. If your wife gets tired sitting and wants to walk through a line, that's fine, but there's nothing wrong with saving what little strength she does have.

The first time DH rented an ECV (bad knees) and I walked, when we got back to the hotel, he was surprised he had energy left and I was worn out. hullo?

I agree with PP. Forget the t-shirt. I understand the attempt at throwing humor at a devastating medical diagnosis. But there is no explanation owed to anyone for why DW is in a wheelchair, as if to somehow apologize for not walking, like "real" people. Please don't do it.

Also, consider renting an ECV. Pushing DW through the miles of Disney will wear you out. Here's a link to outside vendors who will deliver and pickup right at the hotel. Cheaper than Disney ECVs. Go to Post #2, paragraphs towards the bottom. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713

I have MS and always use an ECV at WDW due to the distances. I have a walker, a WC and a lighter weight "portable" WC that I use/need for various activities. The ECV allows me to be independent at WDW and no one in my family drop from the exhaustion of pushing me in the heat. Have a wonderful trip!

If you want to get the shirt for your own humor go right ahead, but don't do it as a sign to others only.

I used an evc one day on our last trip.. I happened to be wearing my "i run on spare parts" t -shirt (had a kidney transplant a few months ago). :thumbsup2

are you sure you want to push the chair... don't forget how huge disney is! renting an evc may make the trip more pleasant for both of you... after all you can walk next to her instead of behind...

If you want to get the shirt for your own humor go right ahead, but don't do it as a sign to others only.

I used an evc one day on our last trip.. I happened to be wearing my "i run on spare parts" t -shirt (had a kidney transplant a few months ago). :thumbsup2

are you sure you want to push the chair... don't forget how huge disney is! renting an evc may make the trip more pleasant for both of you... after all you can walk next to her instead of behind...

Congratulations on the transplant! :cool1::cool1: I had mine in February, went to Disney in August. They said I shouldn't travel for 6 months - Disney was 5 1/2 months post transplant....but close enough :thumbsup2

Congratulations on the transplant! :cool1::cool1: I had mine in February, went to Disney in August. They said I shouldn't travel for 6 months - Disney was 5 1/2 months post transplant....but close enough :thumbsup2

Congratulations to you too!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I did the same thing ,transplant in January.. Disney in July... just over the 6 month mark!

I had a living donor... thats why I do not think twice about the I run on spare parts shirt..
I like your signature....

My donor kidney came from Chicago... Loyola...

The t-shirt idea was tongue in cheek. Thanks for the advice to about the ECV, will definitely look into that. Our trip after Thanksgiving we will be staying at Bonnet Creek so we will be using our car for the most part so that was another reason I was looking at a folding wheelchair that I can get in and out out of the trunk. We may look at finding a chair to purchase between now and then and give it a try at the mall to see how I can handle pushing her around. I am in pretty shape, I work out five days a week doing 6 miles each time on an elliptical machine.

hi bob, no need for the tee shirt, some people are just ignorant. I also have MS and have a very difficut time walking any far distance. I rent from Alex at Apple scooter, will deliver right to your hotel. The best and far better than renting at the parks. Your wife needs to save all the energy she can , u will need it as well, rent a scooter, she will have her indepentency and you will enjoy it also. Have fun, if I can give you anymore info, ask away. Have been to disney several times with scooter.

Congratulations to you too!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I did the same thing ,transplant in January.. Disney in July... just over the 6 month mark!

I had a living donor... thats why I do not think twice about the I run on spare parts shirt..
I like your signature....

My donor kidney came from Chicago... Loyola...

My donor was also from the Chicago area. I don't know where. All I know is that he was younger than me (I was 44 at the time). My mother and my brother also received transplants (we have polycystic kidneys) - my mothers was 15 years ago, she has since met her donor's family. My brother passed away about a month after his transplant from a heart attack. He is who is referenced in my signature. I am very thankful to the family who decided to donate their son/husband/father....whatever else he may have been's organs. I had been on the list just a couple months shy of 6 years when I finally received the call. And I can not believe how much better I feel after just 6 months with it. It is truly a miracle! I am hoping by my next trip I won't have a scooter at Disney at all any more!

My DH donated to his sister. Our kids wanted to get him a shirt that said "I only have one kidney but my sister has three!"

My DH donated to his sister. Our kids wanted to get him a shirt that said "I only have one kidney but my sister has three!"

"I gave my sister a kidney and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

So far all my family's kidneys are with the original owners but we anticipate a high likelihood of my older brother jacking one of mine somewhere down the line. He can have it, but I will probably be wheeled into the OR reminding him of every time he didn't want to share... ;)

That's great!!:rotfl:

"I gave my sister a kidney and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

So far all my family's kidneys are with the original owners but we anticipate a high likelihood of my older brother jacking one of mine somewhere down the line. He can have it, but I will probably be wheeled into the OR reminding him of every time he didn't want to share... ;)

:thumbsup2:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter