Dealing pleasantly with "anti-scooter" people

Oleeka

Earning My Ears
I plan on visiting World for my 60th birthday (2014) and will need to use an ECV for the first time. Went to YouTube to see how to get a scooter on the bus and, while I found some that were informative, I also found some that were highly negative about the "fat, lazy slobs." Being Pooh-sized with bad knees and back, I know I'm going to get that attitude. I can be very assertive, but don't want to spoil my own mood/behavior by responding negatively. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation in a civilized fashion? I was thinking about making a cute "license plate" (laminated paper) for the ECV that said "Disney 2014, Double Knee Replacement 20??" Comments? Suggestions?

I am at WDW now. I have had no negative comments at all. No attitude, no looks. This trip has been great with my ECV and the buses. I don’t worry about what others think. I just go and have a magical vacation.

I plan on visiting World for my 60th birthday (2014) and will need to use an ECV for the first time. Went to YouTube to see how to get a scooter on the bus and, while I found some that were informative, I also found some that were highly negative about the "fat, lazy slobs." Being Pooh-sized with bad knees and back, I know I'm going to get that attitude. I can be very assertive, but don't want to spoil my own mood/behavior by responding negatively. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this situation in a civilized fashion? I was thinking about making a cute "license plate" (laminated paper) for the ECV that said "Disney 2014, Double Knee Replacement 20??" Comments? Suggestions?

You don't know that. It might happen.. but just remember that idiots who make derogatory comments are a very small percentage of visitors to Disney. Just ignore them. Pretend you didn't hear them.

If everyone who has a disability has to declare what that disability is, even by fixing special plates to your scooter, we are only one step away from making the disabled wear a patch on their clothes with a wheelchair symbol and having the nature of their disability tatooed on their forearm.

Andrew

I have had very few problems with comments in Disney I have had many problems at my local area in stores and other places. I had a family follow me around a Walmart saying I was fat and lazy it got to a point I left the store but Disney has been my safe haven.

use of the scooter and it should work out well. Personally, I've never run into any bad comments and we've had over 30 trips with scooters.

I wouldn't label myself in anyway. You may be inciting someone to start something; you never know.

If it got bad someplace I would get a CM to intervene for you if you were trapped somehow like in a long, ride queue. This might not be easy to do but I wouldn't start anything, either. Those who do this are looking to start a fight; don't give in to their behavior. In other cases, you can simply drive away. The buses can be a situation sometimes from what I've heard, here. I'm not sure if you will have help or a car, but some prefer getting a portable, travel scooter and using their car back and forth to the parks to avoid scooters on the buses.

Fortunately, I think it's rare that anyone has an issue like this with scooters. At 60, you are not a youngster doing it (I'm 58); so, most people will understand. Don't flame me, here. The good that comes from using a scooter by far outweighs the possibility of any bad comments by others.

I used a scooter on my last trip to WDW, in fact, I was with a friend who was also using a scooter. We are both pooh sized with no visible difficulties, and occasionally parked the scooters to walk (like going into bathrooms, crowded shops, etc.) I expected to get some dirty looks and nasty comments, and for all I know maybe we did. We were too busy having a wonderful time to notice!

It is very unlikely that anyone will address you or harass you personally. If they do, just move on or ask a CM for help. No-one has the right to harass or harangue you for any reason whatsoever.

There may concievably be some dirty looks or comments within their own party, although it is more likely that they will just indulge in nasty You-Tube comments when they get home. (General rule in life: Never read the comments at You-Tube. There are some very nasty people out there in the intarwebs!) If you notice at all, ignore it. If there are some people so miserable that they can find nothing better to do at Disney than police other people actions or engage in petty score-keeping of who is entitled to what, their greatest punishment is that they have to live with themseves.

I am so glad I discovered using a scooter! It made trips to WDW possible that I never thought I could do. Go, be courteous, and enjoy yourself! :goodvibes

By all means, go, get a scooter, and have a great time!!! And please, do not feel the need to put a label on yourself. You need it, use it.

I, being honest, am one of the people who do have intolerance for SOME people in scooters. It solely comes from my job.

People who have medical reasons, or physical reasons, and need the use of one, by all means, make your life more comfortable and easy and get one. For those who want to use it as a vehicle on the road, to run people down, and to cause trouble.....then I have an issue.

Go, have a great trip!!!! :cool1:

I have used an ECV twice at Disney and am significantly overweight. 99.999% of the poeple I interacted with were great. I got some comments (which weren't rude in my opinion, just poeple without a clue trying to interact ) about "it must be nice to sit all day" and I would reply I wish I could walk all day but I have mild cerebral palsy and can't handle the amount of walking required at Disney. Thankfully with ECV lets me enjoy Disney. Don't feel like you have to explain. It is your decision. But if it makes you feel better when you get that kind of comment, just give a polite answer and you will be fine. Several times when a stranger asked questions, it turned out they had a friend or relative that would love to go to Disney but would need an ECV and wanted advice. My mom was with me on both trips and also needed an ECV. The first trip was pre knee replacement, the second trip a year after. The ECVs made the trips enjoyable for both of us. I traveled as a teen as a wheelchair athlete. No place I have been to compares with Disney for accessibility. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thanks so much to those of you who were encouraging (I'll just ignore the condescending guy.) I'm so looking forward to going that it was difficult to get smacked in the face with people's prejudices. Starting the thread helped and your responses have helped even more! BTW, I had a dream last night that everyone in a scooter at Disney got together and had our own parade! Again, thanks for the encouragement!

I feel for you, Bidnow5. Your Walmart experience reminds me of when I was a kid and had to "run the gauntlet" entering school everyday. I'd hope that adults wouldn't be so cruel, but there those out there who never grow up. I just hope the karma gods harrass them in appropriate ways.

I have to use a scooter at WDW and I am extra Pooh Sized. I always smile at people and my husband make novalty lights (for Halloween I have skulls with mickey hats) that plug into my scooter. That is the best trick. People are way more friendly than when I don't have the lights. I try to ignore the mean people and for the most part I suceed. I wish I could tell you how to make the lights but DH says it is too tech for me to understand LOL

Just smile and remember you will never see these people again! and just remind yourself that they will have tired feet and blisters, and you wont!

Just smile and remember you will never see these people again! and just remind yourself that they will have tired feet and blisters, and you wont!

I know you probably didn't mean it, but this comment could def. be taken the wrong way and used to show the "laziness" of those using ECV's. I can't speak for the OP, but I can tell you that I would 100% prefer to have tired feet and blisters after running around WDW after my kids than have the autoimmune disease that makes it impossible. And everyone I personally know that needs to use a scooter feels the same. I am grateful to be able to have a way to see WDW with my family, but I would much prefer not to require it.

I know you probably didn't mean it, but this comment could def. be taken the wrong way and used to show the "laziness" of those using ECV's. I can't speak for the OP, but I can tell you that I would 100% prefer to have tired feet and blisters after running around WDW after my kids than have the autoimmune disease that makes it impossible. And everyone I personally know that needs to use a scooter feels the same. I am grateful to be able to have a way to see WDW with my family, but I would much prefer not to require it.

Totally did not mean this in a negative way, I am pooh sized, push DS in a manual wheelchair and my mom and dad both use scooters. Just trying to bring a little levity. whenever I mention that I am tired while walking at the parks, my parents always grin and point out how wonderful they feel! would they rather be able to walk? of course, but sometimes one must find a "bright side". I am not sure where my post implied "laziness"? by pointing out one of the very few perks from riding an ECV? but I assure you this was not my intent.

I don't think you personally were calling anyone lazy at all, I have just seen too many threads on the disboards turn nasty and innocent comments like yours taken out of context or misconstrued. Similar comments on other threads have been used to do that, even though it was probably not the original posters intent.

I am glad this thread was brought up. I am celebrating my 30th birthday in Disney in January, and I am finding out on Monday if I need to have knee surgery. My options are canceling the trip, or going and renting an ECV. Walking around Disney after this surgery will NOT be possible all day long. Given my age I am definitely expecting stares and glares, esp if I am off crutches at that point. I am so torn on what to do. I guess I will just have to wait until Monday and see what the doctor says.

I am glad this thread was brought up. I am celebrating my 30th birthday in Disney in January, and I am finding out on Monday if I need to have knee surgery. My options are canceling the trip, or going and renting an ECV. Walking around Disney after this surgery will NOT be possible all day long. Given my age I am definitely expecting stares and glares, esp if I am off crutches at that point. I am so torn on what to do. I guess I will just have to wait until Monday and see what the doctor says.

Rent an ECV, go and have a good time. If you get stares, ignore them. If you get bad comments, ignore them. They are not worth the time or energy. No one but you knows the pain you suffer or the reason why need the ECV.

You could always respond to the person but what are the chances you would ever see that person again anyway and why make yourself feel bad for them?

I have dealt with ignorance when I used an ECV at Walmart after having a hysterectomy and it was a Walmart employee. She made a comment about me using the ECV and my response was "geez, I'm sorry I just had a hysterectomy due to possibly having cervical cancer." She could not apologize enough but I only responded because if I go to Walmart I run the risk of seeing her and I wanted her, as an employee in the cart area, to know what an assinine comment she had made.

So, try not to worry about what someone might say. Go and have a good time. The threat of any surgery can be scary and this will just make it feel better.

I just returned from a 12 day trip down there. I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much accomplished without the scooter. I didn't notice any stares or comments....maybe there were some, but if there were, I was unaware of them. When I am on the scooter I am paying attention to how the crowd is moving in front of me, am I going to have to detour around someone, or be prepared to stop when the gap in front of me closes, I am unaware of anybody staring or commenting.

What I did encounter were people who would be minding their own business shopping, but in the process blocking my way through. I would wait a little while to see if they would be moving on soon, or if they weren't I would try the "excuse me"....they don't always hear, because they are wrapped up in what they are doing (as I would be if were shopping) but when they do see or hear me they are apologetic and free up some space. I also had people hold the elevator door open so I could get on or off, open non-automatic doors for me, hold their children back when I am backing out of an elevator or off the monorail. Basically polite people. I even had one family who got off an elevator a floor before me, leaving me on alone who offered to ride to my floor if I needed assistance. I thanked them but said I would be fine.

I personally do not like riding the buses (I also do not parallel park my car) so we stayed at Boardwalk where Epcot & Studios are a walk away, and Magic Kingdom can be reached the long way by cutting through epcot and taking the monorail. So basically I avoided buses as much as possible. When I did have to take them I tried to do it at an off time. This was a long trip for me, so I was never in a hurry to be anywhere in particular so I was able to avoid the park opening and closing rushes.

As I type this I am trying to think of anything negative that I noticed geared towards me this trip and I honestly can't think of a single thing. I did have the first day, a t-shirt that said "Ask me about my kidney transplant" covering the back of the seat of the scooter....it was to serve a dual purpose of protecting me from the hot seat, and to inform people why I was in the scooter. Unfortunately that plan didn't work out to well (T shirt was to long), and with all the rain we were having that week I gave up on trying to keep the seat covered.

Have a wonderful trip!

Oh I was going to say - the only time anybody mentioned my scooter was a couple different people who were renting Disney scooters (I rented off-site) who asked me how much mine costs.

You'll find people will very, very rarely say anything negative about being on an ECV in the real world. On these anonymous internet forums, nastiness comes out because there is no real human interface. As long as it stays on the internet only, OK. Tho I will make a case defending ECV users every chance I get to post.

When I visit anywhere with my scooter, I paste the biggest smile on my face and keep it there. Strangers will see I am friendly and approachable. I think it helps to ease any awkward encounter with my scooter. I presume a stranger is just a friend I haven't yet met, and many people have been so helpful and accommodating to me as I scoot around running my usual errands. A surprising number ask me about my scooter and in-car lift, because they are considering an ECV or power chair for one of their loved ones.

Just this Tuesday, at Kroger's, I was scooting along the main aisle in the back of the store. This lady (stranger) leans over me and hugs me and says, "Awww. You have so much on your plate!" I thought that was a little weird. Oh well!

You have two ears. Comments that are negative go in one ear, then OUT the other. Don't trap anything inside to make you feel bad.

You need this...:hug:

Don't allow anyone to judge you - or your needs. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter