DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

That's the way to time the trips - far apart to plan and schedule ADRs or FPs to keep the Magic going. Sadly, Disney has priced me out of the market. So, until both my girls are gone, there won't be two trips a year there anymore. And, we're considering a stay at Vero Beach next year, to just drive up and back for a MNSSHP.
Sorry to hear, and I hear ya. I bought the DVC annual passes when they were $550 and we just used them for first time this trip so we have til July 9 2019 on those plus have enough southwest points for for flights and DVC for the room. I have started buying Disney gift cards here and there throughout the year as well to spread the cost out some and with TIWL and DVC / Annual Pass discounts all helps. But again, I hear ya it is getting a bit crazy and gonna look back on recent trip to see where we can spend a bit less when down there and one way is with less filks though we enjoyed having everyone together on this trip a bunch
On another note, Disney is off in August. If we lived 200 miles away, thats one thing, but a 12 hr journey with no real idea on what I'm gonna be able to do is another. Even with DVC points, it's still the thick end of 10 grand to not do much. We've lost the tickets on MNSSHP, but I'd rather that than sit and stew for a couple of weeks.

It sucks, but it's the sensible thing to do. Hey ho.
That really sucks for you guys Dan but like ya said likely the sensible thing to do. Would suck to get here and be miserable :sad1:

Sorry to hear it Dan. I was hoping to share a drink with you at Trader Sam’s or some such place. But I completely understand given where you are with your recovery. I’m putting down similar money (even with free dining) so if I couldn’t enjoy it fully it would be a difficult decision to go ahead. I’ll be sure to toast you in your absence with an appropriate liquid libation.
Thanks buddy. I was looking forward to meeting up, that would have been a good one.
That really sucks for you guys Dan but like ya said likely the sensible thing to do. Would suck to get here and be miserable :sad1:
Cheers Mike, I think so.

I'm thinking I'm getting very close to being priced out...maybe another year or two. They keep raising the ticket prices, the points for DVC, the prices for food, charging to park, etc., etc., etc., etc. I realize they're in business to make money, but you can't tell me they're not already making money hand over fist, so I may be having to find other places to give my money to. The constant and exponential money grab is starting to make my love hate relationship turn more towards the latter side of that equation.

In actuality, the DDCC7 may be my final hurrah, so I might be priced out of it sooner than what I mentioned above. As of right now, I have nothing else planned for 2019, so might be renting my points vs. using them.

Vero beach or Hilton head seem like much more likely options in our near future.

Hilton Head is very nice, we went there last year. This is gonna sound crazy, but go in the off season. We got upgraded to a suite because practically no one else was there. And being from Pennsylvania originally we found the weather quite nice

It's time for American Ninja Warrior!!!

I'm thinking I'm getting very close to being priced out...maybe another year or two. They keep raising the ticket prices, the points for DVC, the prices for food, charging to park, etc., etc., etc., etc. I realize they're in business to make money, but you can't tell me they're not already making money hand over fist, so I may be having to find other places to give my money to. The constant and exponential money grab is starting to make my love hate relationship turn more towards the latter side of that equation.

I get that Disney is a business and needs to increase profits. And, they are in my Large Cap Mutual Fund, so appreciate the money. However, building more resorts and the gondolas and NEVER ADDING MORE RIDES, despite all the price increases has really gotten to me. Sure, there is Toy Story Land and Pandora, but they closed other rides to open them.

I might be going back. I feel like it's time.

On another note, Disney is off in August. If we lived 200 miles away, thats one thing, but a 12 hr journey with no real idea on what I'm gonna be able to do is another. Even with DVC points, it's still the thick end of 10 grand to not do much. We've lost the tickets on MNSSHP, but I'd rather that than sit and stew for a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear it buddy. You're welcome here in KY and we can sit and drink bourbon. You could do that there without me and pocket the airplane ticket price X4. Yeah, I'm not worth that much.

Sorry to hear, and I hear ya. I bought the DVC annual passes when they were $550 and we just used them for first time this trip so we have til July 9 2019 on those plus have enough southwest points for for flights and DVC for the room. I have started buying Disney gift cards here and there throughout the year as well to spread the cost out some and with TIWL and DVC / Annual Pass discounts all helps. But again, I hear ya it is getting a bit crazy and gonna look back on recent trip to see where we can spend a bit less when down there and one way is with less filks though we enjoyed having everyone together on this trip a bunch

We shouldn't have to try that hard to make Disney work. That is part of the distaste.

Hilton Head is very nice, we went there last year. This is gonna sound crazy, but go in the off season. We got upgraded to a suite because practically no one else was there. And being from Pennsylvania originally we found the weather quite nice

HHI is a great resort. We went in April for school Spring Break and had perfect weather. I would go back again, and a 9 hour drive as opposed to 12 or 14 hours to Disney or Vero.

Morning from a cloudy, humid Fredericton NB. So far this year seems to be one of extremes, no normal weather. Oh well we can only deal with what we are given so today I'm all about the AC.

Hope everyone has a good one.

Yes sir. Been to HH and VB and I liked them both. I just don't know how much longer I can afford da world's prices. If you've ever seen spaceballs, we're starting to approach ludicrous cost.

I just don't know how much longer I can afford da world's prices. If you've ever seen spaceballs, we're starting to approach ludicrous cost.
Yep, just to add my bit to the cost discussion - that's part of the reason I have not been to WDW in four years, and had it not been for free dining I may not have gone next month. Ridiculously expensive Canadian plane tickets are another reason...but that's a different discussion.

Morning boys from a slightly cooler London. A break in the weather before it ramps back up in the high 80s at the weekend. I feel a Brisket on the smoker on Saturday could be on the cards. Researching Italy as a substitute destination for the Disney weeks. Maybe a cheeky 4 dayer to Rome. We told the kids this morning about Disney. Georgie was disappointed, and then I explained to him how much Pizza/Pasta/Bistecca Fiorentina/Ice cream was on offer, and now he's all in. I've just got to work out what we do with 2017's banked points. Maybe rent them.

Saw the physio today to go through my treatment plan. Really nice guy, and we had a long chat as I'd done a fair bit of research. The good thing is he wants to look after me, so we booked in about 4 appointments over the next 10 weeks, and he is committed to helping get back on the tennis court. I've got to hand it to them, apart from the administration side of things, the NHS is amazing, as this is all gratis.

Sorry to hear it buddy. You're welcome here in KY and we can sit and drink bourbon. You could do that there without me and pocket the airplane ticket price X4. Yeah, I'm not worth that much.
Cheers fella. Yep, for the airfare I could buy 4 bottles of Pappy, or 50 bottles of Weller Antique. I know which one I'd go for, as much as I love ya. If we our paths cross again in Disney, I think we should hit Mizners for a cheeky couple. How's your knee holding up?

Oh well we can only deal with what we are given so today I'm all about the AC.
Is domestic AC a big thing in Canada or are you more like us, it's generally commercial and offices?

Hilton Head is very nice, we went there last year.
We looked at HHI for our April trip, but the missus wanted to go to Jekyll Island instead, but it was pretty close. We did love Jekyll Island though.

Sensible! Sensible! Now is not the time to be sensible!
Seriously though, sorry to hear that you have to cancel.
Thanks mate. We felt the same way for 3 weeks, and then it came to 31 days before the check in, so I was in last chance saloon for the points....and we chickened out. We generally just go for stuff like that and hang the consequences. The other thing we were worried about was if my achilles pinged again while we were over there, I think that was the clincher. We might be looking at a sneaky week/10 days after Xmas before the kids go back.

I just don't know how much longer I can afford da world's prices. If you've ever seen spaceballs, we're starting to approach ludicrous cost.
Totally. We looked at sacking off the VB section of the August trip and staying on the monorail for 3 nights before we checked into the Poly on the points. They wanted about $650 a night. As nice as the GF is, for pretty much the same money I could have stayed at the Four Seasons on property. And the GF ain't no Four Seasons.

Ridiculously expensive Canadian plane tickets are another reason...but that's a different discussion.
Hold my beer.....

Have the rootin'est tootin'est day in the Wild Wild West chaps.

Last edited:
Ridiculously expensive Canadian plane tickets are another reason...but that's a different discussion.

That's why I am glad we have the ability to make a relatively quick drive into Maine and possibly New Hampshire to get better prices on air fare.

Is domestic AC a big thing in Canada or are you more like us, it's generally commercial and offices?

It is still mostly an office/commercial space thing. More homes are starting to install heat pumps though and that certainly helps with the cooling in the summer months. You don't see as many window AC units in houses that you use to.

It's time for American Ninja Warrior!!!

I get that Disney is a business and needs to increase profits. And, they are in my Large Cap Mutual Fund, so appreciate the money. However, building more resorts and the gondolas and NEVER ADDING MORE RIDES, despite all the price increases has really gotten to me. Sure, there is Toy Story Land and Pandora, but they closed other rides to open them.

The thing that gets me is that Disneyland has so many more rides packed into the same amount of space. After going there Disneyworld feels so empty

Yeah, I think we're in the boat that will just go less often. I understand it'll be an expensive trip for us when we do go, so the response is to just dial back the number of visits.

Vero beach or Hilton head seem like much more likely options in our near future.

Hilton Head is a great place.

It sucks, but it's the sensible thing to do. Hey ho.

That sucks. Sorry you had to make that call. It's no fun being a grown-up.

Agreed. We loved it there in November.

I feel like they've moved away in recent years from providing great experiences for all families and more towards providing special events and experiences to those willing to pay extra for it.

Long ago and far away, we didn't have much money for vacations. So, we took the kids on a lot of day trips here and there. As we got older, we had a bit more money, we then went "on vacations" to places that were cheap and we could camp nearby. Now that we are old, we can afford to that the kids and their kids on the big Disney vacation. I can only tell you, every day trip, cheap vacation and Disney trip with our family have been awesome.
images

Top O the Mornin Dads. Lots of somber conversation here regarding costs and what you get for it at DaWorld. I will not pile on here with details as I still love the place but talk about cost cutbacks noticed everywhere. Noticed several smaller things compared to a couple of years ago and it got to me this trip how many things are going on the cheap. Have a good one guys.

Top O the Mornin Dads. Lots of somber conversation here regarding costs and what you get for it at DaWorld. I will not pile on here with details as I still love the place but talk about cost cutbacks noticed everywhere. Noticed several smaller things compared to a couple of years ago and it got to me this trip how many things are going on the cheap. Have a good one guys.
Not sure I understand what you're saying Mike.

Do you mean on this last trip, you noticed cost cutbacks at Disney and things being smaller than they used to be or things going on the cheap there?

Or

Are you saying you had to enact cost cutbacks and doing things smaller or doing more on the cheap?

Personally, I am getting more and more to the point of wanting to move to FL (many reasons) and then I can do the AP (DVC or FL resident - same price) and go in evenings or on weekends without much of the exorbitant prices for staying on property and meals. Doubt seriously any of the special events are still on the table (except I'd still like to do the keys tour). I don't mind increasing prices, per se, it's normal. What I object to is the exponential increases way outpacing inflation or cost of living factors. As I get closer to CJ's status, I think the cost hikes at Disney far outpace my desire and/or ability to keep up with them. After typing that, I guess what it boils down to is not so much whether I could afford it, but more whether I want to afford it at those prices. I hope I'm making some modicum of sense and not just wanton rambling.

I feel like they've moved away in recent years from providing great experiences for all families and more towards providing special events and experiences to those willing to pay extra for it.

Disney method vs McDonald's method. Premium product, charge a premium, sell fewer, make lots of money vs terrible product, charge little, sell a carp ton, and make money.

Long ago and far away, we didn't have much money for vacations. So, we took the kids on a lot of day trips here and there. As we got older, we had a bit more money, we then went "on vacations" to places that were cheap and we could camp nearby. Now that we are old, we can afford to that the kids and their kids on the big Disney vacation. I can only tell you, every day trip, cheap vacation and Disney trip with our family have been awesome.

We have had great Disney vacations and great vacations elsewhere. Disney always seemed to offer something for everyone though. I have teenagers now and am ready to give them away. :furious:

I didn't mean to start a negative runaway on Disney. But, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Personally, I am getting more and more to the point of wanting to move to FL (many reasons) and then I can do the AP (DVC or FL resident - same price) and go in evenings or on weekends without much of the exorbitant prices for staying on property and meals. Doubt seriously any of the special events are still on the table (except I'd still like to do the keys tour). I don't mind increasing prices, per se, it's normal. What I object to is the exponential increases way outpacing inflation or cost of living factors. As I get closer to CJ's status, I think the cost hikes at Disney far outpace my desire and/or ability to keep up with them. After typing that, I guess what it boils down to is not so much whether I could afford it, but more whether I want to afford it at those prices. I hope I'm making some modicum of sense and not just wanton rambling.

I want to escape KY to escape the weather. Sure, it isn't as bad as our Canadians have it, but I don't want to deal with snow anymore. I thought settling near Disney would be fun. Now, I'm not so sure, for what you just said. At what point is there enough. We will still enjoy it and go there, just not as often.

Cheers fella. Yep, for the airfare I could buy 4 bottles of Pappy, or 50 bottles of Weller Antique. I know which one I'd go for, as much as I love ya. If we our paths cross again in Disney, I think we should hit Mizners for a cheeky couple. How's your knee holding up?

It's getting better, and just not in a black knight flesh wound sort of way. I'm considering cancelling the surgery. I may not get back to my previous level, but I'm getting older. Would I get there anyway? It might be better to jut focus the energy on losing some weight and enjoying what I can do now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter