DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Yes, watch out for the mob of shaming Karen's out there. I've read different accounts of people or their spouses being fired over something they posted on social media. It's not that I agree with those opinions. I don't understand the premise of getting someone fired and/or evicted because of an non-actionable thought or expression.

I get bothered by cancel culture, too. It rubs me the wrong way when someone loses their job over something stupid they said 10 years ago. I doubt anyone would want to be judged by their worst moment.

I'd be excited to drive across Ohio. If I was gonna end up a Wrigley Field. Or Soldier Field. Or Twin Anchors Ribs.

Sadly...none of those things happened.

What about "Armchair Imagineering"? We get to do over a ride or a restaurant a day in terms of IP ,theming or general Improvements. No doing away with and starting something else, the main vision of the ride has to stay intact. There are 27 attractions in MK alone, so once you've topped up 10 restaurants, that's a good couple o weeks a park about attractions we give a monkey's about.. And then we'll be in August before you know it.

Now that sounds like fun!

I'm not sure I'd do it just to get to Alaska though.

That's the question. As long as I could conceivably go next summer.

Mark, you do you. But I've have way to many things that I should have done, on things that no longer can be done, to let something like this pass me by.

I understand. Part of me thinks we can pull this off and minimize the risk. The other part of me thinks it's stupid to try when everything seems to be getting worse. I'm hoping the next couple of weeks offer some clarity.

An interesting one.
It costs me £100 to get into work every week, give or take. Which is about the same as the MLB season pass, so I could watch all the Cubbies games.
To be fair I've been really happy with the NFL pass, I think it's awesome. Plus I get to watch American adverts. Which are not awesome, but I can pretend I'm on vacation. Bit like putting the Disney Parks loop from the rooms on our TV. Anyone else do that?

But I've have way to many things that I should have done, on things that no longer can be done, to let something like this pass me by.
Cinderella over the Royal Table? You are a total playa, Chief.
I understand. Part of me thinks we can pull this off and minimize the risk.
I get it mate, really. Part of me was relieved when Kanye's ex-best mate banned us from coming into the US, as it took the decision out of my hands. We are now saying do we drive over to France snd have a week of not washing, eating good dessert and bad meat in the Loire Valley at the end of August. But then if everyone takes a step back from the easing of restrictions (which seems to be the general way of things after opening up), that's a ton of coin to drop to sit in a small hotel room watching French TV. And our isn't the end of a quest. Seeing as we've already got a Holy Grail. And the whole father smelling of elderberries thing.

I get bothered by cancel culture, too. It rubs me the wrong way when someone loses their job over something stupid they said 10 years ago. I doubt anyone would want to be judged by their worst moment.

I don't particularly want to be judged by my best moment!

All this nonsense in the culture is starting to wear on me again so it is time to take a break from the interwebs and such. I have a basement that needs cleaning and a stack of filing that should be worked on as well as some miscellaneous projects. Be well gentlemen. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be back around by and by.

Afternoon gents! Norm and Dan thanks for the ideas and for starting another daily WDW "survey" - I think it helps us all to take our minds off all the news a bit. Not much to report today about the same work and family related. Just trying to keep positive thoughts and attitudes with all the stress induced things going on. HAve a good mid point and stay safe.
Morning, folks.

Pretty bagged this morning. The shift was a struggle. One hour to go, 30ish minutes to drive home, then... sleeeeeeeep.
Get some sleep and be safe
Happy Wednesday. Groundhog day time is still dreadfully slow, and I imagine it stays that way till our trip to WDW when it will speed up. :rotfl:

Been driving with younger dd. She does well, with her biggest difficulties being turning and almost stopping in the road to make a turn. I was afraid she would get run over, so I took her to a parking lot for some ovals and figure 8s around the lights. She had fun with her mock race track and drove way more confidently.
Good luck to DD on learning to drive. You tought one already so this should be easier but then again each kid is different.
Yeah, that's what is making this so hard. This is number 50, the end of the quest. Been planning this for a long time.

But there's this stupid pandemic. And the fact that our country is doing a terrible job of keeping it under control. The numbers are climbing in most states, including in my own (Delaware) and in Alaska (although they are low compared to others). The risk of infection is greater when you travel than it is staying home.

But I could also still get sick here at home. I really want to go, but I also don't want to do something stupid. So I'm really torn on this one.

The safest thing to do is probably to cancel and plan for next summer. But it will also be much more crowded and expensive next summer (provided we're not still in a pandemic then).
I think a lot of folks are goin through what you are. Part of me says this thing ain't goin anywhere anytime soon so lets keep living but smart following distancing, masks and hygiene directions from the medical profession. Then part of me says oh no, stay at home don't go to WDW and just lounge around the house. But then again, could get the dang thing going into work or to the grocery store? Best to you in your decision.
I'd be excited to drive across Ohio. If I was gonna end up a Wrigley Field. Or Soldier Field. Or Twin Anchors Ribs.
Nah, you want to fly into Atlanta and drive up to Chicago through Tennessee so you can pick me up on the way to Wrigley.
Which are not awesome, but I can pretend I'm on vacation. Bit like putting the Disney Parks loop from the rooms on our TV. Anyone else do that?
I have the app on my iPad :rotfl2:
Right, then.

Armchair Imagineering - Day 1

Main St - Magic Kingdom.
Have at it.
Assuming no CORONA
  1. Return the good morning welcome show from the train station. Do it on the Main Street facing side and rope of walkways for those that want to head towards the castle.
  2. Take the kitchens / chefs of Via Napoli or Tutto Italia Ristorante and duplicate at Tony's so we can enjoy the only reference to Lady and the Tramp and enjoy it with some good food. Also cast all the servers to be Tony.
  3. Main street fire station - position fire truck outside the place - what young child does not like a fire engine photo?
  4. Get rid of Starbucks and return Bakery to old style turn of the century bakery. Put Starbucks into the Launching Pad. There were no carmel frapp lappa mocha venti drinks in the the turn of the century.
  5. Remove some of the trees and light posts by Casey's and Plaza garden areas for better castle sight lines. We can light up .bstadiums without light poles in the middle, so we should be able to do that for the Hu

I get it mate, really. Part of me was relieved when Kanye's ex-best mate banned us from coming into the US, as it took the decision out of my hands. We are now saying do we drive over to France snd have a week of not washing, eating good dessert and bad meat in the Loire Valley at the end of August. But then if everyone takes a step back from the easing of restrictions (which seems to be the general way of things after opening up), that's a ton of coin to drop to sit in a small hotel room watching French TV. And our isn't the end of a quest. Seeing as we've already got a Holy Grail. And the whole father smelling of elderberries thing.

I think a lot of folks are goin through what you are. Part of me says this thing ain't goin anywhere anytime soon so lets keep living but smart following distancing, masks and hygiene directions from the medical profession. Then part of me says oh no, stay at home don't go to WDW and just lounge around the house. But then again, could get the dang thing going into work or to the grocery store? Best to you in your decision.

I think a large part of me is hoping for something similar to Dan--that some government entity will end up making the decision for me. That would make it easier.

All this nonsense in the culture is starting to wear on me again so it is time to take a break from the interwebs and such. I have a basement that needs cleaning and a stack of filing that should be worked on as well as some miscellaneous projects. Be well gentlemen. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be back around by and by.

Take care of yourself. We'll be happy to have you when you're ready to jump back in.

Main St - Magic Kingdom.
Have at it.

Put the movie theater back in the movie theater...

Assuming no CORONA
  1. Return the good morning welcome show from the train station. Do it on the Main Street facing side and rope of walkways for those that want to head towards the castle.
  2. Take the kitchens / chefs of Via Napoli or Tutto Italia Ristorante and duplicate at Tony's so we can enjoy the only reference to Lady and the Tramp and enjoy it with some good food. Also cast all the servers to be Tony.
  3. Main street fire station - position fire truck outside the place - what young child does not like a fire engine photo?
  4. Get rid of Starbucks and return Bakery to old style turn of the century bakery. Put Starbucks into the Launching Pad. There were no carmel frapp lappa mocha venti drinks in the the turn of the century.
  5. Remove some of the trees and light posts by Casey's and Plaza garden areas for better castle sight lines. We can light up .bstadiums without light poles in the middle, so we should be able to do that for the Hu

Hard to argue with those suggestions! I liked the intro show at the train station better, too. Wouldn't mind seeing the street widened some so the cattle call isn't as crushing. We became pros at using the Emporium to dodge traffic over the years.

Right, then.

Main St - Magic Kingdom.
Have at it.

Good suggestions so far. especially getting rid of the Starbucks. That can leave altogether as far as I'm concerned.

I think they should add back in the camera shop and some of the other small shops, maybe in the alley on the right side as you are walking up Main Street.

How’d that shift go?
Tiring. As is this one. It's coming up on 3am which means I'm halfway through this shift.
I'm so looking forward to it. That and the built in dishwasher! OMG! A built in dishwasher! It's the little things in life.
:laughing:
How bad was it?
Been driving with younger dd. She does well, with her biggest difficulties being turning and almost stopping in the road to make a turn. I was afraid she would get run over, so I took her to a parking lot for some ovals and figure 8s around the lights. She had fun with her mock race track and drove way more confidently.
Good!
As Randall said, you have to get a test before you go to Alaska. If you can get a test within 72 hours of your flight and show negative results, you don't have to get tested again at the airport when you arrive. You can also get tested within 5 days of the flight and then again at the airport upon arrival and minimize contact with people until the second results come in. Or you can arrive and quarantine for 14 days.
None of those options sound great. :(
Delaware has a saliva-based one that sounds a lot easier to take. I wasn't eager to have someone try and scrape out my brain through my nose.
Oh! I hadn't heard of that. Nice if it is an option.
Yeesh. Drive safe, my man.
Did. Have to again in 4 hours.
I did and was. I'll try to repeat it 3 more times.

Morning guys from a sunnier London. William J Leppetamane territory again for your friendly English Disdad. But always time to shoot the proverbial breeze with you guys, while I drink my Caramel Frap Lappa Mocha Venti with extra whipped cream and Caramel sauce ;)

Good stuff there Mikey!

I'm with you and Darcy, rip out Starbucks, but maybe have a turn of the Century "tea room" (which also serve coffee) and get Joffreys to run it using the blends they have all over property (Kona, V&A, GF). The one simple thing that Disney has always failed to crack is serving a decent espresso anywhere, apart from maybe the small Joffrey's cart in Epcot. Even Kona Cafe, which is famed for its French Press use a $100 push button machine that serves Gas station coffee.
I think a vintage pin store would be awesome on Main St as well.
Agreed on Tonys. I always think that the Liberty Tree Menu would have worked better in Main St.
I also think the First set of gardens should always be a M&G from Mickey and Minnie.
A thing that works really well in Paris is they have corridors (arcades) at the back of the stores, so there are 2 ways to get through Main St, particularly when its raining.

Right, Armchair Imagineers, time to get those Creative Thinking Caps on, and working our way around MK...
So we've now refurbished Main St, with a Fire Station and a Photo Op with a Fire Truck, a Photo with the M&M in the first Garden/Bandstand, a refurbed Tonys, Starbucks nowhere to be seen and a Camera Shop. Oh Look, there's the Chief on one of his new benches. And the new corridors are in Sneaking through the gap of The Emporium and the Fire station at one end, and Casey's and Crystal Palace at the other end, behind the stores to give us shelter from rain, sun and parade crowds.

As we leave Main Street, we go into...
Day 2 - The Hub and the Castle.

What ya got?

What ya got?

Add benches that actually face the castle. So, we know Disney doesn't have benches on Main Street and none that face the castle in the hub to create more room for people, but now in these covid times we don't want to bunch up people so put benches in for us old farts so we can sit and enjoy...

Add benches that actually face the castle. So, we know Disney doesn't have benches on Main Street and none that face the castle in the hub to create more room for people, but now in these covid times we don't want to bunch up people so put benches in for us old farts so we can sit and enjoy...
I'm sensing a theme here Chief.
Did you just take over a bench making factory?

Morning All,

still overcast but suppose to clear off and hit into the 30s C again with humidity. Got the run in early to avoid most of it.

We are down to one car right now while we shop for one to replace mine so Tanya drove me to work this morning and we got Starbucks on the way. The things I do for my wife!

I think we need a start TBT again so I'll start

What ya got?

I like what they've done to the Hub and the new paint job on the Castle looks pretty good.

Maybe add some paddle boats in the moat area.

Last edited:
Another ground hog day brings another sick day. Yawn.

Yeah, that's what is making this so hard. This is number 50, the end of the quest. Been planning this for a long time.

But there's this stupid pandemic. And the fact that our country is doing a terrible job of keeping it under control. The numbers are climbing in most states, including in my own (Delaware) and in Alaska (although they are low compared to others). The risk of infection is greater when you travel than it is staying home.

But I could also still get sick here at home. I really want to go, but I also don't want to do something stupid. So I'm really torn on this one.

The safest thing to do is probably to cancel and plan for next summer. But it will also be much more crowded and expensive next summer (provided we're not still in a pandemic then).

As Randall said, you have to get a test before you go to Alaska. If you can get a test within 72 hours of your flight and show negative results, you don't have to get tested again at the airport when you arrive. You can also get tested within 5 days of the flight and then again at the airport upon arrival and minimize contact with people until the second results come in. Or you can arrive and quarantine for 14 days.

If you can somehow pull off the 72-hour test, you don't need a second one at the airport. That might be easier said than done, though.

Delaware has a saliva-based one that sounds a lot easier to take. I wasn't eager to have someone try and scrape out my brain through my nose.

Thank you!

The good news that isn't being reported eith this spike in viruses is that the # of deaths has remained low, and we are nearing the % in the US where it can no longer be considered a pandemic. We are at 5.9% now and the magic number is 5%. I don't want to get the virus, but that is a positive. We still plan to go to Disney at the end of the month, even though I have DW has asthma and is in the high risk group.

Afternoon fellas from a overcast London.

Yeesh. Drive safe, my man.

Well, we like to maintain a certain standard of response for non-attendance. Its a protocol thing.

What about "Armchair Imagineering"? We get to do over a ride or a restaurant a day in terms of IP ,theming or general Improvements. No doing away with and starting something else, the main vision of the ride has to stay intact. There are 27 attractions in MK alone, so once you've topped up 10 restaurants, that's a good couple o weeks a park about attractions we give a monkey's about.. And then we'll be in August before you know it.

I'm not sure I'd do it just to get to Alaska though.

There is nothing more pleasurable than getting to the last pour of a bottle and it exactly fills your cocktail jigger. Yours with affection, OCD Brit.

Have a great day fellas.

I haven't heard the word jigger in awhile. Or, a two finger pour. Thanks 007 for bringing the class to the Disdads.

I don't particularly want to be judged by my best moment!

Yeah. I try to stay informed, but then follow down the rabbit hole of too much time.

Afternoon gents! Norm and Dan thanks for the ideas and for starting another daily WDW "survey" - I think it helps us all to take our minds off all the news a bit. Not much to report today about the same work and family related. Just trying to keep positive thoughts and attitudes with all the stress induced things going on. HAve a good mid point and stay safe.

Good luck to DD on learning to drive. You tought one already so this should be easier but then again each kid is different.

Nah, you want to fly into Atlanta and drive up to Chicago through Tennessee so you can pick me up on the way to Wrigley.

I have the app on my iPad :rotfl2:

Assuming no CORONA

Can we get topless women serving us draft beer all day? Oh, that's my design for an adult theme park.

What ya got?

Number one thing for me would be to echo @budamacdvcr 's suggestion of figuring out something different with the lighting. Maybe if the poles could be lowered or retracted during the fireworks shows. Maybe some gentle tiers in the garden/viewing areas to allow people to more easily see. And everyone who does the work of holding a spot for fireworks viewing gets handed a taser to use on the jerks who always force their way in front at the very last minute.

I'm sensing a theme here Chief.
Did you just take over a bench making factory?

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We are done to one car right now while we shop for one to replace mine so Tanya drove me to work this morning and we got Starbucks on the way. The things I do for my wife!

Sounds like you hired a pretty good driver there.

I like what they've done to the Hub and the new paint job on the Castle looks pretty good.

At the risk of continuing to sound like a grumpy old man, I liked the old colors better. The new pink/darker blue combo clashes to my eyes.

The good news that isn't being reported eith this spike in viruses is that the # of deaths has remained low, and we are nearing the % in the US where it can no longer be considered a pandemic. We are at 5.9% now and the magic number is 5%. I don't want to get the virus, but that is a positive. We still plan to go to Disney at the end of the month, even though I have DW has asthma and is in the high risk group.

My daughter and I have asthma too, so that makes me leery of traveling too much. The virus growth appears to be getting out of control again, so I would expect the death rate to go back up in a couple weeks--it will always lag behind the number of positive cases.

Hey guys...doing a drive by. I missed a few ages, so I hope everyone is doing OK.
Been busy working, almost 14 days of pay in the bank now.
Starting to make up for the 6+ weeks of pay I missed.
Normally my schedule was 14 days on, 7 days off. However one of my co-workers (who would replace me when I took the 7 days off) has had a death in his family and has asked for time off.
Of course I would work extra anyway, but I don't mind having some extra pay now.
I hope that doesn't seem insensitive, and I certainly sympathize with my co-worker and I hope he does OK and comes back to work when he feels he's ready, but my bank account could use the extra cash right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter