DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

One other thing.

The Halloween Party was unbelievably crowded---even on a Tuesday.

I'm not sold that the parties are worth it anymore.
My opinion - they're not worth it. I came to that sad conclusion after my third and likely last MNSSHP in August.
After doing our first MNSSHP on our parents only trip, I too agree that these events are not worth it. It was nice and cool to see different parade and fireworks but I can think of other things to spend that kind of coin on while at DaWorld, especially with the continuing price hikes.
We went to 6 or 7 consecutive years of MNSSHPs, and two in one trip. We did not get theme park tickets on those days, slept in, and went to the party at 4. As the years progressed, they were substantially more crowded. The Hallo-Wishes fireworks and parade are still the beat.

So for all these comments about the Halloween parties, what do you dads think about taking the fam/kids to the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? We have a trip coming up in mid-December, and I haven't bought the party tickets yet, but the schedule is getting pretty close to locked in. How is this party as a one-time experience?

So for all these comments about the Halloween parties, what do you dads think about taking the fam/kids to the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? We have a trip coming up in mid-December, and I haven't bought the party tickets yet, but the schedule is getting pretty close to locked in. How is this party as a one-time experience?

I went last year to the Christmas party and it was CONSIDERABLY less crowded than the Halloween party. It could have been a "date" thing (This year was first week of October, last year was Second Week of December), but the Halloween party we went to was pretty crazy (and I've been going to those parties since about 2002).

If it were a one time experience, absolutely go---just keep in mind that the whole "reduced crowd" experience may vary.

My optic for the events is admittedly skewed back a few years, which is probably not a reasonable expectation for me to go by.

If you’ve never been, then by all means go and experience it. Ymmv.

IMHO, it pales in comparison to MNSSHP, though. But I did enjoy it.

Have you done a party before? I would still recommend to anybody to do a party - Halloween or Christmas - at least once. For the record, I have not done a Christmas party, but did three Halloween parties in 2010, 2014, 2018. So my opinion may be a bit skewed based on my Halloween experience.
Go in with expectations in check. Like @DisneyFed mentioned, "reduced crowd" is a false marketing technique these days. In 2010 it was reduced crowds (and that was three days before Halloween). In 2018 - in August - it was jammed as I have ever seen MK.
My advice is to not try doing everything, don't try doing parade/fireworks, characters meets, treats, and rides. You'll end up coming short on at least one of those and dampen the experience. Focus on the activity most important to you.

Pretty sure I was sentenced to 30 to life, Life is looking more likely.

So day 2 of the great Austin water crisis continues. The entire city is on a boil water notice and people have lost their minds. They bought every bottle of water in the county. I am convinced that if there was a Zombie apocalypse 90% of the people I work with wouldn't make it past day 1. We knew we would need water for our staff so we called our industrial material supplier and boom 100 cases are on the way, from out of the area where they have plenty of stock, we had everything under control. But our "senior management" went into full panic and made our team start going to Sams and Costco in the area to find some right away. We wasted 1/2 a day to buy 6 cases of water.

People lose their minds here as well. I keep a few cases of water from Sam's as well as few gallons stored as well. All I'm missing for the zombie apocalypse is my ninja sword. :lmao:

Need me to check? :rolleyes1

That might be a good idea. They did finally send her renewed passport, so I guess she's clear for now.

Even though MNSSHP tickets are up and it is more crowded, I'll probably still go back. We haven't been to a MVMCP, but will go in 4 years once both dds are gone, unless i won lottery sooner. :sad2:

Morning Gents. A crisp but beautiful sunny Fall morning here, just a hint of frost on the car this morning.
Yesterday afternoon I stayed late at work because I had to pick up DD from dance class which on the way home. I decided to get my fat Alien Swirling Saucer off my chair and go for a walk. It was a nice evening and my office is right next a park with walking trails. It made me wonder if I can have views like this (see pictures) 10 minutes walk from my desk, why don't I do it more often?

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

Evening fellas from a comfortable 75 and slightly overcast and with a little bit of sprinkles Epcot.
You'll have to give us daily updates now Doc!

Top O the Mornin Dads! Temps in the 30's every morning this week so fall is definitely in full swing. Not looking forward to less hours of daylight though. Have a good one gents.
Morning Gents. A crisp but beautiful sunny Fall morning here, just a hint of frost on the car this morning.
Yesterday afternoon I stayed late at work because I had to pick up DD from dance class which on the way home. I decided to get my fat Alien Swirling Saucer off my chair and go for a walk. It was a nice evening and my office is right next a park with walking trails. It made me wonder if I can have views like this (see pictures) 10 minutes walk from my desk, why don't I do it more often?

View attachment 360619

View attachment 360620
Love those pics, beautiful area. I too need to get my Baloo backside back into walking more regular.
Pics did not come across?

Pics did not come across?

It's quite ugly, I don't think you really want to see it.

Not fun Darcy. I'll be suffering along with you soon enough.
Hopefully it melts away pretty soon.
There are very few, if any, Halloween's I remember having snow on the ground.

Terrible drive this morning, we had about an inch or two of slush covering most roads that were at or near the freezing mark. Cleaning off the car this morning was like getting hit by slush balls. Suppose to turn to rain by lunch so I expect it to all wash away in a day or so.

Hey guys, I'm still alive. Just haven't had much time to check in.

I decided to get my fat Alien Swirling Saucer off my chair and go for a walk.

:rotfl2: Nicely done.

It made me wonder if I can have views like this (see pictures) 10 minutes walk from my desk, why don't I do it more often?

That...is a great question.

Morning all. Been traveling this week and received an email today that I need to have a bunch of work done on Friday. Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Beautiful.

Terrible.

'Morning all...
It pains me to report that while I may live in SC, I did not have the winning ticket.
Looks like the Golden Oaks Party House is gonn'a have to wait a while yet.

I imagine most are in that boat. I thought for sure the odds were in my favor this time. :sad2:

Top O the Mornin Dads! Temps in the 30's every morning this week so fall is definitely in full swing. Not looking forward to less hours of daylight though. Have a good one gents.
?

Agree. One of the worst parts about winter. I wonder if location has anything to do with it. Being from Louisville on ET zone, did it stay light longer with it being so far west compared to Owensboro now so far east in CT zone? Or, was i just a kid and can't remember?

Being from Louisville on ET zone, did it stay light longer with it being so far west compared to Owensboro now so far east in CT zone? Or, was i just a kid and can't remember?
It looks like there's about an hour-ish difference in sunset from one side of a time zone to the other
(depending on where the lines are drawn, of course).

Eastern Time Sunset today
Norfolk, VA - 6:17
Louisville, KY - 6:53

Central Time Sunset today
Owensboro, KY - 5:59
Amirillo, TX - 7:01

Terrible drive this morning, we had about an inch or two of slush covering most roads that were at or near the freezing mark. Cleaning off the car this morning was like getting hit by slush balls. Suppose to turn to rain by lunch so I expect it to all wash away in a day or so.

NO! I am not ready for those drives to work! Keep it up there!!!!

Hey guys, I'm still alive. Just haven't had much time to check in.

Glad you're alive. Every day you're still above ground is a good day. That's what I say.

It looks like there's about an hour-ish difference in sunset from one side of a time zone to the other
(depending on where the lines are drawn, of course).

Eastern Time Sunset today
Norfolk, VA - 6:17
Louisville, KY - 6:53

Central Time Sunset today
Owensboro, KY - 5:59
Amirillo, TX - 7:01

And that is science. I really picked a mud hole of a city to live in, with sunsets even earlier and no ocean close by.

View attachment 360619

View attachment 360620

You'll have to give us daily updates now Doc!
Not sure I can do daily updates Jeff, but responding from a very comfortable 72 Orlando. The rental house is about 10 minutes from the airport and about 25 from Disney.
I was debating popping over again tonight, but was looking at houses. I also didn't want to have to rush like I did last night to beat the crowd before illuminations finished.
I may have found the house I'm going to buy. As long as DW likes it, then it's got everything I want (and then some)

I don't envy Darcy what he woke up to the other day, but your pictures look amazing. I wish one didn't have to endure the cold to see the fall colors (or colours) like that.
The house I looked at (if I get it) will have some pretty amazing views as well.
Only downside...it will be further from Disney than I was hoping, but still only about an hour.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter