• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS Questions/DAS+Standby

If the Standby wait is under 10 minutes, it doesn't really matter that much which line the CMs send DAS users thru

That's too bad - I wish the CMs would follow the rules regarding the DAS. Them not following the rules for the GAC is what led to it being so overused.

It makes absolutely no difference, under 10 mins on the stand by would be the same in the fp que.
If it's under 10 mins that basically means no que! No matter what line you go through.
I asked about this many times,and was told by the Cm's that it's down to the cm what que your sent through as it makes no difference to them.

That's too bad - I wish the CMs would follow the rules regarding the DAS. Them not following the rules for the GAC is what led to it being so overused.

Maybe I don't know enough about the history of GAC abuse, but I prefer that CMs use discretion to meet individual needs, especially when there is clearly a disabled child and a family that needs a little flexibility to have a magical day. I think the DAS rules will work perfectly for my own family, because DS simply can't wait in a crowded, slow moving line for more than fifteen minutes but has no problem waiting his turn to ride, traveling back and forth across the park, or weaving through the ropes of a long queue area. I would be uncomfortable receiving more accommodations than that because we don't need them. But I can see that others have much more challenging disabilities that might require occasional flexibility. Honestly, I love seeing CMs break the rules in tiny ways to give all kids a little pixie dust. OTOH, it might be best if these experiences aren't shared online, so there's no expectation and no taking advantage by people who don't need the extra help.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would have to imagine that the people trying to take advantage of these things would have to be very small at this point with the new guidelines implemented and the fact that they take pictures and have all the party members names etc. So much easier for Disney to spot a red flag. IMO I would think the assumption, now that the system is more regulated, would or should be that everyone using these type of passes really needs them. I personally dont care if people who dont need the help are taking advantage (frankly I feel sorry for anyone who would think its ok to do that) I wouldn't want to be so stringent to eliminate that small percentage at the expense of those who really need it.

Im not sure if you mean that I was skirting the system or that they were? There were no fast passes for the Nemo ride. I don't really see that I did anything wrong. In two days at the parks we only used the DAS for rides 4 times total, so twice per day. But yes in the heat alone pushing my son in his wheelchair I was grateful to have a cast member that was understanding of my plan.

I thought you were talking about the Nemo show at AK? Or are you talking about the ride at EPCOT? Both have FP+, if I'm reading the website correctly.

I thought you were talking about the Nemo show at AK? Or are you talking about the ride at EPCOT? Both have FP+, if I'm reading the website correctly.
Nemo at Epcot, none were showing up as available, is what I meant to say.

Most likely even with a 10 minute standby time, you aren't going to be told to enter the FP+ line, at least you shouldn't be told that. For 10 minutes or less, you should be instructed to enter the standby line, so if it's 10 minutes, and you go back to get your child and the line is now 20 minutes, then you should receive a return time for 10 minutes later.
They absolutely do have the right and ability to send a guest through the FP line.

They are following the rules!!! There is no rule in their training that says that they must send a DAS holder through the standby line under *these* conditions.

If the Standby wait is under 10 minutes, it doesn't really matter that much which line the CMs send DAS users thru

True to some extent, but there is a greater chance of the standy by line backing up quicker than the FP line. Plus there are some disabilities that are better served by the FP line.

It makes absolutely no difference, under 10 mins on the stand by would be the same in the fp que.
If it's under 10 mins that basically means no que! No matter what line you go through.
I asked about this many times,and was told by the Cm's that it's down to the cm what que your sent through as it makes no difference to them.

I have immediate family who have worked at multiple attractions in MK. In their training, they were taught that they most certainly can send DAS guests through the FP line. The stand by line wait time isn't always accurate and it can back up quickly. So until you have been a CM trained to work an attraction, it's not fair to say that CMs are not following the rules. Each attraction has unique elements. So what works at one attraction may not work at another for various reasons...not always, but often safety or evacuation reasons.

And for the record... at some attractions, again depending on the DAS holders needs, one may not have a choice but to use the FP entrance....i.e. Space Mtn, if you cannot do steps or are in a WC, you cannot go through the standby line. Even if the ride is a walk on!

I stand corrected - I thought that when the DAS came out, it was stated that if the wait time was less than 10 minutes, the party would enter through the standby line, since the time in line was no longer an issue. My personal opinion is that it should be that way, absent a valid reason (as in the examples above) where the guest couldn't go through the standby line.

They absolutely do have the right and ability to send a guest through the FP line.

They are following the rules!!! There is no rule in their training that says that they must send a DAS holder through the standby line under *these* conditions.

True to some extent, but there is a greater chance of the standy by line backing up quicker than the FP line. Plus there are some disabilities that are better served by the FP line.

I have immediate family who have worked at multiple attractions in MK. In their training, they were taught that they most certainly can send DAS guests through the FP line. The stand by line wait time isn't always accurate and it can back up quickly. So until you have been a CM trained to work an attraction, it's not fair to say that CMs are not following the rules. Each attraction has unique elements. So what works at one attraction may not work at another for various reasons...not always, but often safety or evacuation reasons.

And for the record... at some attractions, again depending on the DAS holders needs, one may not have a choice but to use the FP entrance....i.e. Space Mtn, if you cannot do steps or are in a WC, you cannot go through the standby line. Even if the ride is a walk on!

That's exactly why I said that the Cm's can send you down either que, I was agreeing with you and answering another poster who said it wasn't ok to do this.

I stand corrected - I thought that when the DAS came out, it was stated that if the wait time was less than 10 minutes, the party would enter through the standby line, since the time in line was no longer an issue. My personal opinion is that it should be that way, absent a valid reason (as in the examples above) where the guest couldn't go through the standby line.
I am with you and wonder way you would go up to someone and need a DAS return time if you know the wait time is less then 10 minutes I can see if you needed something else like you could not do steps ( I can not do steps in the dark so space I go up and say I cannot do steps then they do send me though the FP line, but I never say I have a DAS pass I need to use the FP line.

and for me often times if you do go thought the FP stand by is 10 minutes it is who walks faster or the FP line you might get a head 1 person.

and just for the record THIS IS MY OPION that I agree with Our BIG TRIP anyone may disagree with the 2 of us.

Yeah, that was kind of my point - absent the need to avoid steps or something like that, I don't see why anyone would even try to use the DAS if the wait time is 10 minutes or less. The couple of times we were with my sister when she used it, she didn't even mention she had a DAS for 10 minute wait times - we just got in the standby line.

To each his/her own.

That's exactly why I said that the Cm's can send you down either que, I was agreeing with you and answering another poster who said it wasn't ok to do this.
Sorry Tinkerpea, your post must have accidentally gotten selected. I am posting from my smartphone today, so I must not have realized I selected your post. It was in error! :)

So this all goes to planning, when you go to get a DAS return time not realizing in advance that the wait time would be only 10 minutes and you really have something else you absolutely have to do first which was in our case. So you have gone out of your way to walk or push a wheelchair to the attraction to get a return time, and if they didnt give you one you would be walking away empty handed and they would be making things much harder for you rather than easier. I think a previous poster said it very well, that when you are trying to plan something one little thing can muck up the works. In my sons case we only do 3 rides at Epcot and one character view and they all need to be done as quickly as possible so our time in the park is kept short.

Last edited:
So this all goes to planning, when you go to get a DAS return time not realizing in advance that the wait time would be only 10 minutes and you really have something else you absolutely have to do first which was in our case. So you have gone out of your way to walk or push a wheelchair to the attraction to get a return time, and if they didnt give you one you would be walking away empty handed and they would be making things much harder for you rather than easier. I think a previous poster said it very well, that when you are trying to plan something one little thing can muck up the works. In my sons case we only do 3 rides at Epcot and one character view and they all need to be done as quickly as possible so our time in the park is kept short.
Ez, keep doing what you're doing and what you need to do and do not worry about other people's opinions on here (or even at the park for that matter). You aren't doing anything wrong. Just because a few people don't agree with how you do things doesn't make them right and you wrong. Enjoy your time in the park with your son and pish posh on other people's opinions!

Reactions: ez
For the most part CM want you to have a good vacation just like they do every one but anyone can look down at there phone ( or what ever they have ) and go we have 30 minutes until our ADR this ride is only 10 minutes and should take us 5 minute to walk there 10 minutes to wait in line 5 minutes to ride and then 5 minutes to get to our ADR and by the time they get there the line has gone up to 25 minutes ( it has happened to me) This family may have to miss a ride they may find a CM that is nice and lets them in the FP ( I have seen it number of times and I had so much fun watching the guest faces when they found out they did not have to wait in line for 7DMT) But when you do get the DAS card you do sign that say waits under 10 minutes you will wait instant by ( no it dose not say that but something like that) but just like any guest can look at there phone a decide to go on a ride since it is short we ( as DAS holders) can decide to get a DAS return time because the line is short or long or what ever and then when we get to the ride it may not work with our schedule and then the CM may or may not decide that they need to do something extra for you. I will say I think most CM want to go out of there way to make your vacation better and if it is that case I would simply go up to the CM and explain your need and why you cannot do what ever ride right then and there and I am sure just about 90% of CM will help you out, but just beware that there is that one or two that can not do it for what ever resion and in that case just thank the CM and move on with your day you and your family were not meant to do what ever it was at that time, you may never know why.

Reactions: ez
For the most part CM want you to have a good vacation just like they do every one but anyone can look down at there phone ( or what ever they have ) and go we have 30 minutes until our ADR this ride is only 10 minutes and should take us 5 minute to walk there 10 minutes to wait in line 5 minutes to ride and then 5 minutes to get to our ADR and by the time they get there the line has gone up to 25 minutes ( it has happened to me) This family may have to miss a ride they may find a CM that is nice and lets them in the FP ( I have seen it number of times and I had so much fun watching the guest faces when they found out they did not have to wait in line for 7DMT) But when you do get the DAS card you do sign that say waits under 10 minutes you will wait instant by ( no it dose not say that but something like that) but just like any guest can look at there phone a decide to go on a ride since it is short we ( as DAS holders) can decide to get a DAS return time because the line is short or long or what ever and then when we get to the ride it may not work with our schedule and then the CM may or may not decide that they need to do something extra for you. I will say I think most CM want to go out of there way to make your vacation better and if it is that case I would simply go up to the CM and explain your need and why you cannot do what ever ride right then and there and I am sure just about 90% of CM will help you out, but just beware that there is that one or two that can not do it for what ever resion and in that case just thank the CM and move on with your day you and your family were not meant to do what ever it was at that time, you may never know why.

I agree about the phone pros and cons. I guess I am showing my age in the fact that Im not checking my phone every 5 minutes while pushing a wheelchair in the heat!! Also I'm guessing a wait time could say one thing and by the time you get there could be different especially as the park is opening as you say this has happened to you. I do have the app that I use for fast passes but I must confess I have never even looked at the wait times on there. With me alone with my disabled son it's almost a little too much. If I kept pulling him over in his chair to look at my phone I dont think it would sit well with him either. We only have 4 things to do and it's only going to be those 4 exact things, so I kinda come up with a plan and go with that. I am really happy that upon looking at who is making the (whatever) request, the cast members have been pretty accommodating of our situation. I am confident we don't appear to be anyone who is trying to take advantage of anything.

I am guessing people want a return time even if it is only 10 mins because they want to ride it later not now and it might be a longer line later? That has happened to us.

I agree about the phone pros and cons. I guess I am showing my age in the fact that Im not checking my phone every 5 minutes while pushing a wheelchair in the heat!! Also I'm guessing a wait time could say one thing and by the time you get there could be different especially as the park is opening as you say this has happened to you. I do have the app that I use for fast passes but I must confess I have never even looked at the wait times on there. With me alone with my disabled son it's almost a little too much. If I kept pulling him over in his chair to look at my phone I dont think it would sit well with him either. We only have 4 things to do and it's only going to be those 4 exact things, so I kinda come up with a plan and go with that. I am really happy that upon looking at who is making the (whatever) request, the cast members have been pretty accommodating of our situation. I am confident we don't appear to be anyone who is trying to take advantage of anything.
It seems like with only four things to do, you probably can fast pass three of those things (depending on what they are) and then you only have to worry about one. Depending on what it is, you can perhaps use your 4th fp, go at park opening, or use a DAS if the wait is longer than 10 minutes

It seems like with only four things to do, you probably can fast pass three of those things (depending on what they are) and then you only have to worry about one. Depending on what it is, you can perhaps use your 4th fp, go at park opening, or use a DAS if the wait is longer than 10 minutes
So the most important thing meeting sadness and joy, doesnt have a fast pass at all. Thats why we had to get there first thing in the morning before the line got nuts. Nemo had no fast passes available for morning. We were only going to be in the park for the morning thats all my son can take. I guess the problem with so many people planning trips ahead of time when you are planning a week out the pickings get slim :( That's how we roll though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter