• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS Questions/DAS+Standby

I was specifically talking about if the wait time is too short to receive a DAS. The accommodation for the DAS is to be able to wait most of a line outside of it. So if they say they can not give you a return time because the wait is too short then it is up to you to decide if you want to go back and get the whole party and try and wait or to not ride. You were comparing the DAS to FP so I was just trying to say it doesn't make sense to compare them because the DAS is not suppose to be a FP equivalent it is suppose to be a stand by equivalent.

Getting the return time on the phone or from a nearby ride would make sense for the family touring with the DAS, many of whom who have mobility issues. Going up to the ride doesn't really make sense and requires you tour with an extra adult to do all the running.

The DAS is specifically designed to allow a parent to approach the ride without the child to get a return time. I believe that is in all of the information about the DAS. So, having a parent follow the information provided by Disney about the DAS, which is one accommodation provided, only to be told no just go in, and then to return with said child only to be told no you have to have a return time, would be beyond ridiculous. The waiting outside the line is only part of the accommodation.

The FP is not equivalent to the DAS. What is equivalent is that the FP is a system that issues return times to your magic band, via your phone or a kiosk, and prevents you from having to run around the park for return times.

Last edited:
And just like the family in your example, good idea to check the wait time before going over - that way you know if it is long enough to be given a DAS return time (or, conversely (for some), short enough that the standby line would be possible).

Absolutely. That would have been my plan.Have you used the DAS? Did checking the wait time help you in using the DAS?

For people not using DAS a five minute difference in time makes no difference at all. It's irrelevant. But reading this thread shows that the CMs are poorly trained at best. Is it 10 minutes, is it 15 minutes? Apparently they don't. What I know is that the wait times don't stay at 10 minutes for long. But is it 10 minutes or is it 15 minutes? If you see 15 minutes should you head to the ride to get in line without a return time?

What makes sense is having a policy that is actually used consistently the same way no matter which CM is working. If you are told that you can go get a return time without your child, then you should be able to do so. If you are then told you don't need a return time, you can go straight on, you should then be able to go get your child and go straight on. If part of the accommodation is that the person using the DAS does not have to go up to the ride, then when a person steps up to the podium in lieu of a DAS holder the line has been entered. In cases of under 10 minutes, it isn't a penalty for the DAS holder to be told to enter immediately. It is simply a return time of zero minutes. Return times don't expire. So why would the zero minute return time expire? Consistent application of the rules is the only thing that makes sense.

Absolutely. That would have been my plan.Have you used the DAS? Did checking the wait time help you in using the DAS?

For people not using DAS a five minute difference in time makes no difference at all. It's irrelevant. But reading this thread shows that the CMs are poorly trained at best. Is it 10 minutes, is it 15 minutes? Apparently they don't. What I know is that the wait times don't stay at 10 minutes for long. But is it 10 minutes or is it 15 minutes? If you see 15 minutes should you head to the ride to get in line without a return time?

What makes sense is having a policy that is actually used consistently the same way no matter which CM is working. If you are told that you can go get a return time without your child, then you should be able to do so. If you are then told you don't need a return time, you can go straight on, you should then be able to go get your child and go straight on. If part of the accommodation is that the person using the DAS does not have to go up to the ride, then when a person steps up to the podium in lieu of a DAS holder the line has been entered. In cases of under 10 minutes, it isn't a penalty for the DAS holder to be told to enter immediately. It is simply a return time of zero minutes. Return times don't expire. So why would the zero minute return time expire? Consistent application of the rules is the only thing that makes sense.

Most likely even with a 10 minute standby time, you aren't going to be told to enter the FP+ line, at least you shouldn't be told that. For 10 minutes or less, you should be instructed to enter the standby line, so if it's 10 minutes, and you go back to get your child and the line is now 20 minutes, then you should receive a return time for 10 minutes later.

It would be nice if you could get the return time on your phone like you can with FP+. No one else has to do all that running around with fastpasses not at the rides anymore. Barring having it on your phone, you should be able to get a return time from any ride CM for another ride since it is all computerized. Having kiosks for when you are not near the ride, and also the ride CMs for when you are in front of it would be nice too if they can't work out anything else. I wonder if they will make it physically easier anytime in the future. I'm glad for the DAS, but one thing I am worried about is that running around and my husband having to split off from us after every ride. :upsidedow

Why does your husband have to split off after every ride? Wouldn't you all go to (or near) the ride you want and get the DAS? If you ride Splash and want to ride Space Mountain next, are you saying you want to go the Haunted Mansion and send your husband across the park to get Space rather than all of you going to Tomorrowland?

Most likely even with a 10 minute standby time, you aren't going to be told to enter the FP+ line, at least you shouldn't be told that. For 10 minutes or less, you should be instructed to enter the standby line, so if it's 10 minutes, and you go back to get your child and the line is now 20 minutes, then you should receive a return time for 10 minutes later.

So how many times have you used DAS and how often was this an issue for you? How did it work out for you?

Why does your husband have to split off after every ride? Wouldn't you all go to (or near) the ride you want and get the DAS? If you ride Splash and want to ride Space Mountain next, are you saying you want to go the Haunted Mansion and send your husband across the park to get Space rather than all of you going to Tomorrowland?

Is this what you did? Did you all go to the ride and get DAS? How did that work for you and didn't it present any issues for the DAS holder?

Is this what you did? Did you all go to the ride and get DAS? How did that work for you and didn't it present any issues for the DAS holder?

Sorry, but I haven't used DAS yet but will when we travel with my brother whose son is on the spectrum. I read these to learn what to do when the time comes. However we would always travel around the park as a family, at least to the "land". If Space had a 30 minute SB and we got a DAS, we might ride Carousel of Progress or do something else in the area until our DAS time. We wouldn't traipse to another land and then backtrack. I was only trying to understand what you were trying to do and why your husband had to split off after every ride.

Sorry, but I haven't used DAS yet but will when we travel with my brother whose son is on the spectrum. I read these to learn what to do when the time comes. However we would always travel around the park as a family, at least to the "land". If Space had a 30 minute SB and we got a DAS, we might ride Carousel of Progress or do something else in the area until our DAS time. We wouldn't traipse to another land and then backtrack. I was only trying to understand what you were trying to do and why your husband had to split off after every ride.

No, I didn't mean for it to sound negative. I'm trying to understand how everyone else approaches this situation and some things I hadn't considered! I'm not sure how he'll react. The reason we may have to traipse around somewhat is because he knows which rides he wants to go on. He only goes on a handful of rides. We always travel around as a family as well...but we can't go over by the ride he wants to go on until its time to go on it.

So how many times have you used DAS and how often was this an issue for you? How did it work out for you?

My family has only used it twice, when my sister came with us. She has no issue coming up to the ride to get the DAS, so we have encountered a situation such as I described above while using a DAS

However, on previous trips with my in-laws (pre-smartphone days), we often sent one person off to a ride to check stand-by times while my in-laws sat. And while it might have been 10 minutes when the "runner" got there, it might well be 20 minutes by the time the rest of us got there, so of course we would expect to wait 20 minutes. The DAS shouldn't work any differently, IMO.

I can see both sides to this I use the DAS for my self I have no problems with going up to a ride and then not going on it right then I have no problem with the fact I have to wait I do have other needs and one is that I can not be in a crowded area some times the area around the FP regular line is too much for me ( BTMRR is one place that I tried to do 5 times in 2 days and never could) for me if I could get a return time some where but the line would be great, now do I think I should be able to be in tomorrow land and get a RT for BTMRR on the other side of the park no but I think it could be fair for the people that need it to be able to go to the FP kiosk and get a return time for that land. will this happens how know but I do not think the DAS is a one size fits all and for the most part it is yes I have been give extra accommodation that have been great but that is just on the mercy of the CM at the time.

we were there a couple weeks ago and the first thing we had to do was get online for the inside out characters cause there is no fp for that. So first upon park opening I swung (not really, pushing my son in a wheelchair and 100 degree heat) by Nemo to get a DAS time even though the standby was only 10 minutes. So at first they told me to go right on but I explained I couldnt cause we had to go do the inside out first before the wait there was ridiculous. So then they did give me a return time. Not sure if this is helpful info, just saying they initially didnt want to give me a return time but then when I explained my plan they did. Good luck.

That was very kind of the CM, to sprinkle that pixie dust on your family. That's not what the DAS was meant for, and I hope it doesn't make Disney rethink the DAS as a tool for accessibility. I think the DAS works well for what it was intended to do, but every time I hear how someone skirts the system I think 'oh no, here it goes again'.

That was very kind of the CM, to sprinkle that pixie dust on your family. That's not what the DAS was meant for, and I hope it doesn't make Disney rethink the DAS as a tool for accessibility. I think the DAS works well for what it was intended to do, but every time I hear how someone skirts the system I think 'oh no, here it goes again'.
Im not sure if you mean that I was skirting the system or that they were? There were no fast passes for the Nemo ride. I don't really see that I did anything wrong. In two days at the parks we only used the DAS for rides 4 times total, so twice per day. But yes in the heat alone pushing my son in his wheelchair I was grateful to have a cast member that was understanding of my plan.

Im not sure if you mean that I was skirting the system or that they were? There were no fast passes for the Nemo ride. I don't really see that I did anything wrong. In two days at the parks we only used the DAS for rides 4 times total, so twice per day. But yes in the heat alone pushing my son in his wheelchair I was grateful to have a cast member that was understanding of my plan.
I think part of the issue is, for das to work effectively, you have to have a plan. I labored over our schedule for hours to come up with a plan that I thought was realistic when while trying to leave room for flexibility, something I had never done in all my years touring without a sick child. So it might sound really easy to say "so what, if the line is short just ride it then, but the reality is sometimes it just throws the whole plan off too much! And other times our kids needs just don't allow us to do it right then. As for ",skirting the system", I wouldn't want to see someone cheat or bully their way around the system, but if a CM is willing to throw some pixie dust to someone who is having a hard time, I don't begrudge that at all and am happy for them!

Reactions: ez
I know that you are not talking about me but I do not think you were trying to skirt the system I think you got a nice CM

I will say this I wish Disney CM were all on the same page with things one day you can get a return time at GR the next day you can not. I do not mind getting a little pixie dust as we all could use it some times like in your case if the CM said we are not support to give return times since the line is less then 10 minutes but here is one for you any ways.

I think part of the issue is, for das to work effectively, you have to have a plan. I labored over our schedule for hours to come up with a plan that I thought was realistic when while trying to leave room for flexibility, something I had never done in all my years touring without a sick child. So it might sound really easy to say "so what, if the line is short just ride it then, but the reality is sometimes it just throws the whole plan off too much! And other times our kids needs just don't allow us to do it right then. As for ",skirting the system", I wouldn't want to see someone cheat or bully their way around the system, but if a CM is willing to throw some pixie dust to someone who is having a hard time, I don't begrudge that at all and am happy for them!
This is a really good point and it is my opinion that this is what they want us to do, come up with a plan. In our case my son can't stay at the park for more than a few hours max so whatever we do has to be done in a short window of time. I have read where if you have other needs you can discuss with guest relations and I guess I could have done that but it kinda would almost seem to over complicate things in our case. But basically I was trying to accommodate my sons needs by a)not having to wait in a long line at inside out because this is the one must do on his list ( he can only handle a few minutes on a line) b)getting to do a couple things he likes before we have to leave. To me it seems like the way they have the system set up now it would be almost impossible to truly cheat or abuse it, but maybe I am thinking too small. I am middle aged and pushing my son around in his chair is a bit challenging. I hope someday you will be able to get the DAS times on a phone app and not physically have to go there. And as I said earlier we only wound up using the DAS twice per day.

I'm not sure about this, as actually it's worked this exact way quite a few times for our family,
My son can't always be at the ride that we want the time for, when the wait time is 15 mins or less, they have always asked where the DAS holder is, when I say where he is they give the time so that I can go and get him and come back once where ready,
The das was meant so you could get a time and do something else while waiting for that time to be up.
So I don't see a difference.
Also alot of Cm's will send you straight through the Fp line if it's under 10 mins they certainly don't always send you through the normal line.

You didn't do anything wrong, and nobody was skirting the system

Also alot of Cm's will send you straight through the Fp line if it's under 10 mins they certainly don't always send you through the normal line.

That's too bad - I wish the CMs would follow the rules regarding the DAS. Them not following the rules for the GAC is what led to it being so overused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter