• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS Questions/DAS+Standby

JenLT

Mouseketeer
There are a few things I was wondering about the DAS and when you can get a return time.

I know that the return time is standby minus 10 mins - is that correct?

Can you get a DAS return time even if standby is around 10 or 15 mins long only?

For instance, lines often build quickly. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for my son to work up the nerve to get in line (even though he is going to love the ride) or he doesn't know for sure if he wants to go on the ride. So can we get the return time even if it is a short standby line? Then give him time to think about it?

Also, at rope drop lines are often short when you get on a ride but long by the time you get off. My son likes to ride things a few times in a row. Could we get a return time, then go standby (because it is a short line first thing in the morning), and use the return time when we get off the ride.

They might not issue a DAS return time if the standby wait is short; I've read reports both ways. You may be directed to immediately enter the standby queue, or possibly the FP+ queue, if the wait is short enough. If you are hanging near the entrance for DS to make his decision, just watch that the standby time doesn't jump -- or get the DAS once it does.

Yes, you can do what you have proposed -- wait in a standby queue and then ride with the DAS, assuming they'll give a return time for a short standby. You can also utilize your 3 pre-planned FP+ to help with back-to-back rides; get a return-time, ride on your FP+, then re-enter the queue using the DAS.

Enjoy your vacation!

We ran into that problem back in May, short line when we got there but built up very quickly. Afraid they would not give us a return time when the lines were short. We ran into it most when we were leaving the park for a nap, would try to get a das but they would just tell us to go on now. We couldn't go then, but when we came back later the lines were long. frustrating

There are a few things I was wondering about the DAS and when you can get a return time.

1 I know that the return time is standby minus 10 mins - is that correct?

2 Can you get a DAS return time even if standby is around 10 or 15 mins long only?

For instance, lines often build quickly. Sometimes it takes a few minutes for my son to work up the nerve to get in line (even though he is going to love the ride) or he doesn't know for sure if he wants to go on the ride. So can we get the return time even if it is a short standby line? Then give him time to think about it?

Also, at rope drop lines are often short when you get on a ride but long by the time you get off. My son likes to ride things a few times in a row. Could we get a return time, then go standby (because it is a short line first thing in the morning), and use the return time when we get off the ride.

1 yes this is right

2 if it is 10 minutes or less I have always been told to use the stand by as they can not give out return times if the air is less then 10 minutes. there have been times I have had to get out of line ( mostly due to medical problem ) and I will tell a CM they will then give me another return time but it has aways had to me for 10 minutes form what ever time it is. ( this has always been fine for me as I normally do need some time )

as fair as looping most ride at RD are not that long for a while ( I think yu would be surprised at how many rides have a 10 minute wait for the first hour the park is open BTMRR space buzz are a few that come to mind) few that might be are the really big ones so like 7 DMT ( some times by the time I get there the line is all ready at 30 minutes. I would either do one of two things if yu think he would want to loop a ride ( and I do this as I like to loop rides) get there at rope drop and try to time it were the like is attest 15 minutes get your return time and then go in stand by then when you get off do your DAS ( I can not do this as my limit is about 15- 20 and one 20 minute wait and I am dune for a few hours) or what I do is if there is a ride I know I want to loop like 7DMT is a have a FP for lest say 11 and the wait has been 60 minutes I will get a return time at 10 for the ride this way I can do it 2 times in a row. I only do this a few times my limit for rides is about 3 sometimes 4 before I need at lest a 2 to 3 hour break. you can also use a ride near by to fill in like pooh or IASW things with short wait I use the bathroom a lot ( about ever hour some times more so I do that)

We ran into that problem back in May, short line when we got there but built up very quickly. Afraid they would not give us a return time when the lines were short. We ran into it most when we were leaving the park for a nap, would try to get a das but they would just tell us to go on now. We couldn't go then, but when we came back later the lines were long. frustrating

They wouldn't give you a DAS time because it's meant to be used if the standby lines are longer than the FP+ queue. If at that time (the time you would be entering the queue) the line is really short then there would be no need to use the FP+ queue. You were asking for a DAS time for a queue that you hadn't gone up to - the queue you would approach hours later, after the nap. Sorry you felt frustrated, but you were trying to abuse the system, IMO.

When the DAS was on paper and Return Times were handwritten, CMs had the ability to write a different time than 10 minutes less than the current Standby wait time.
We were able to sometimes get a Return Time for 10 minutes when the Standby Time was 10 minutes - an extenuating factor was that I had gone to the attraction without DD, so we could not go right in.

There were issues with the CMs assigning written DAS Return Times. For one thing, it was difficult to figure and they sometimes wrote an incorrect Return Time. And, there were times when the CM gave a 'pixie dust' early time and people expected it.

With the current electronic DAS, the DAS Return Time is assigned by computer. That makes it much more accurate, but also gives CMs little ability to manipulate it. From what I have heard, if the wait is 10 minutes or less, the system won't let the CM assign a DAS Return Time.

They wouldn't give you a DAS time because it's meant to be used if the standby lines are longer than the FP+ queue. If at that time (the time you would be entering the queue) the line is really short then there would be no need to use the FP+ queue. You were asking for a DAS time for a queue that you hadn't gone up to - the queue you would approach hours later, after the nap. Sorry you felt frustrated, but you were trying to abuse the system, IMO.
If that's abuse, then absolutely every one on here abuses the system. I've read over and over and over again, "always have a DAS time lined up for your return when you leave the parks."

If that's abuse, then absolutely every one on here abuses the system. I've read over and over and over again, "always have a DAS time lined up for your return when you leave the parks."
I do not think it was the fact that you were getting one before you were leaving the park but you wanted one that had a wait of less then 10 minutes. the DAS is meant to help people that can not wait in normal lines and are to replace you phisicly standing in line, yes some people that need a DAS have littered times in the park or they have to go back for a break. I think the other person was saying ( and when I read your post I thought) that you were trying to get something extra when you wanted to get a return time for a short line and then use it latter ( I know I am not explaining this right what I am thinking right) but with that said I do not think this is what you were thinking when you tried to do this.

I do not think it was the fact that you were getting one before you were leaving the park but you wanted one that had a wait of less then 10 minutes. the DAS is meant to help people that can not wait in normal lines and are to replace you phisicly standing in line, yes some people that need a DAS have littered times in the park or they have to go back for a break. I think the other person was saying ( and when I read your post I thought) that you were trying to get something extra when you wanted to get a return time for a short line and then use it latter ( I know I am not explaining this right what I am thinking right) but with that said I do not think this is what you were thinking when you tried to do this.
I get your point, I guess overall I was just frustrated with all the extra runningaround the das required. I would plan to do one section of the park in the am, then another in the pm, so always had to backtrack to a different land before leaving the park. The day the line was short for tinkerbell. It was only 15 minutes, but my daughter was about to drop so we decided to come back later. When we returned the wait was 25 minutes, so we either had to wait in line, get a das then go to another land then backtrack (with tink being at the beginning of main st that made no sense, and we had already done the shops), get das then come back as we left (tying up the das for the rest of the evening) or skipping tink. So we skipped tinkerbell. I also found that very often we were denied das for lines of 15 minutes (I thought the cutoff was 10?, though I could be wrong) and sometimes even for 20 minutes I would initially be denied and have to ask multiple times. Anyway, the intention wasn't to abuse the system, but it stinks my daughter missed a favorite character because the system just didn't work for her

I get your point, I guess overall I was just frustrated with all the extra runningaround the das required. I would plan to do one section of the park in the am, then another in the pm, so always had to backtrack to a different land before leaving the park. The day the line was short for tinkerbell. It was only 15 minutes, but my daughter was about to drop so we decided to come back later. When we returned the wait was 25 minutes, so we either had to wait in line, get a das then go to another land then backtrack (with tink being at the beginning of main st that made no sense, and we had already done the shops), get das then come back as we left (tying up the das for the rest of the evening) or skipping tink. So we skipped tinkerbell. I also found that very often we were denied das for lines of 15 minutes (I thought the cutoff was 10?, though I could be wrong) and sometimes even for 20 minutes I would initially be denied and have to ask multiple times. Anyway, the intention wasn't to abuse the system, but it stinks my daughter missed a favorite character because the system just didn't work for her
I may be wrong, but I think wait times for characters are a little different than wait times for rides. When I see a 15 minute wait for a character, I assume that means we will be the 3rd or 4th family in line. I also think that the "posted" wait time doesn't always match the computer wait time, so the CMs may not be able to give a return time if the wait time just dropped to 10 minutes (even if the sign says 15 or 20 minutes).

The purpose of the DAS is to allow you to tour just like any other visitor, and it sounds like that was your experience.

When the DAS was on paper and Return Times were handwritten, CMs had the ability to write a different time than 10 minutes less than the current Standby wait time.
We were able to sometimes get a Return Time for 10 minutes when the Standby Time was 10 minutes - an extenuating factor was that I had gone to the attraction without DD, so we could not go right in.

There were issues with the CMs assigning written DAS Return Times. For one thing, it was difficult to figure and they sometimes wrote an incorrect Return Time. And, there were times when the CM gave a 'pixie dust' early time and people expected it.

With the current electronic DAS, the DAS Return Time is assigned by computer. That makes it much more accurate, but also gives CMs little ability to manipulate it. From what I have heard, if the wait is 10 minutes or less, the system won't let the CM assign a DAS Return Time.

Oh no. I never thought of the problem of him not being there for the return time. What do they do in that case? If my husband runs and gets a return time but it is a short line, we won't be there. What happens if by the time he comes and gets us, the line has gotten longer? I haven't figured out what we'll be doing while waiting so we could be on the opposite side of the park.

This will be the first trip since DAS, and the first trip without a stroller for him. :( (Yes, I know a lot of people are thrilled when they are out of a stroller, but having him corralled at Disney was nice, and it gave him a safe place to hide). So we'll have a lot to figure out.

I get your point, I guess overall I was just frustrated with all the extra runningaround the das required.

It would be nice if you could get the return time on your phone like you can with FP+. No one else has to do all that running around with fastpasses not at the rides anymore. Barring having it on your phone, you should be able to get a return time from any ride CM for another ride since it is all computerized. Having kiosks for when you are not near the ride, and also the ride CMs for when you are in front of it would be nice too if they can't work out anything else. I wonder if they will make it physically easier anytime in the future. I'm glad for the DAS, but one thing I am worried about is that running around and my husband having to split off from us after every ride. :upsidedow

If the return time is less than 10 minutes and you have a smart phone why not have a look and see if any FP+ are availiable for later in the day? That's what I would do.

It would be nice if you could get the return time on your phone like you can with FP+. No one else has to do all that running around with fastpasses not at the rides anymore. Barring having it on your phone, you should be able to get a return time from any ride CM for another ride since it is all computerized. Having kiosks for when you are not near the ride, and also the ride CMs for when you are in front of it would be nice too if they can't work out anything else. I wonder if they will make it physically easier anytime in the future. I'm glad for the DAS, but one thing I am worried about is that running around and my husband having to split off from us after every ride. :upsidedow
I would like to see something like this but I do not think it would be fait to sb standing by space and get a return time for BTMRR or for another ride at another park. I would like to be able to get a return time on my phone but the resion why I would like to is that some rides there are simply to many people around for me to even be able to ask for a return time and I go alone a lot. so i would like to be able to get a return time if you are with in a set amount of space form the ride of maybe the FP kiosk for that land. I would increase anyone that dose not like how the DAS is working to go talk to GR let them know how it works for your family and let them know what is not only last trip I stopped by GS and had a great 20 minute talk with a CM whom brought out the manager at the time he said he could not promise any thing but was glade I brought up somethings

do I think I can change the system my self no but if even ought people go and say something then maybe dinsney will listen ( and I know a lot of people complained when it changed from the GAC to the DAS I do not think this is the same I am not asking them to change the hole system but to tweak it so it can work better)

we were there a couple weeks ago and the first thing we had to do was get online for the inside out characters cause there is no fp for that. So first upon park opening I swung (not really, pushing my son in a wheelchair and 100 degree heat) by Nemo to get a DAS time even though the standby was only 10 minutes. So at first they told me to go right on but I explained I couldnt cause we had to go do the inside out first before the wait there was ridiculous. So then they did give me a return time. Not sure if this is helpful info, just saying they initially didnt want to give me a return time but then when I explained my plan they did. Good luck.

we were there a couple weeks ago and the first thing we had to do was get online for the inside out characters cause there is no fp for that. So first upon park opening I swung (not really, pushing my son in a wheelchair and 100 degree heat) by Nemo to get a DAS time even though the standby was only 10 minutes. So at first they told me to go right on but I explained I couldnt cause we had to go do the inside out first before the wait there was ridiculous. So then they did give me a return time. Not sure if this is helpful info, just saying they initially didnt want to give me a return time but then when I explained my plan they did. Good luck.
Yes exsplaning something and having a nice CM gose a long way it may happen one day and not another. I am glade you were able to have a great trip I know little things CM do can make a world of different for me

The big difference between booking FP+ on your phone and DAS is that the DAS is suppose to be the equivalent of standing in line. So in your what if situation it would be the same for say a father who runs to a line to check the wait time sees it is short so runs back to his family to say hey let's ride this. By the time they get back the line has gotten longer so now they have to wait longer or choose not to do that ride. That is how the DAS works by the time you get up there you have to decide if it is worth it to wait the return time or not. So similar to the standby situation.

The big difference between booking FP+ on your phone and DAS is that the DAS is suppose to be the equivalent of standing in line. So in your what if situation it would be the same for say a father who runs to a line to check the wait time sees it is short so runs back to his family to say hey let's ride this. By the time they get back the line has gotten longer so now they have to wait longer or choose not to do that ride. That is how the DAS works by the time you get up there you have to decide if it is worth it to wait the return time or not. So similar to the standby situation.

Why would you run to the ride to check wait times when you can look at wait times on your phone? Didn't there also used to be boards in place that showed the wait times of rides as well? This seems like a real stretch to try to show equivalency. Running back in forth across the park is poor planning for a family that does not have to do it.
One of the accommodations present in the DAS is not having to bring the person to the line to get the wait time. If you have to bring the person to the line to get the wait time that accommodation is gone. To say that you should take the child to the ride and either wait or not ride is to eliminate the accommodation.

If you have to bring the person to the line to get the wait time that accommodation is gone. To say that you should take the child to the ride and either wait or not ride is to eliminate the accommodation.

I was specifically talking about if the wait time is too short to receive a DAS. The accommodation for the DAS is to be able to wait most of a line outside of it. So if they say they can not give you a return time because the wait is too short then it is up to you to decide if you want to go back and get the whole party and try and wait or to not ride. You were comparing the DAS to FP so I was just trying to say it doesn't make sense to compare them because the DAS is not suppose to be a FP equivalent it is suppose to be a stand by equivalent.

I was specifically talking about if the wait time is too short to receive a DAS. The accommodation for the DAS is to be able to wait most of a line outside of it. So if they say they can not give you a return time because the wait is too short then it is up to you to decide if you want to go back and get the whole party and try and wait or to not ride. You were comparing the DAS to FP so I was just trying to say it doesn't make sense to compare them because the DAS is not suppose to be a FP equivalent it is suppose to be a stand by equivalent.

And just like the family in your example, good idea to check the wait time before going over - that way you know if it is long enough to be given a DAS return time (or, conversely (for some), short enough that the standby line would be possible).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter