• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS Questions/DAS+Standby

I'm not sure about this, as actually it's worked this exact way quite a few times for our family,
My son can't always be at the ride that we want the time for, when the wait time is 15 mins or less, they have always asked where the DAS holder is, when I say where he is they give the time so that I can go and get him and come back once where ready,
The das was meant so you could get a time and do something else while waiting for that time to be up.
So I don't see a difference.
Also alot of Cm's will send you straight through the Fp line if it's under 10 mins they certainly don't always send you through the normal line.

Good points.

I know someone mentioned only using the DAS twice per day. How often could people use GAC in one day?
This is our first time using this type of system. Between the FP + x3 , then parades, snacks - I didn't think we would use it more than once or twice. There is only so much time in the day.

Good points.

I know someone mentioned only using the DAS twice per day. How often could people use GAC in one day?
This is our first time using this type of system. Between the FP + x3 , then parades, snacks - I didn't think we would use it more than once or twice. There is only so much time in the day.

Depending on the stamp your GAC had, one could use it MANY times in a day. There was a stamp that pretty much gave the guest unlimited access to the FP line. Some guests (with the GAC card) would loop an attraction...literally getting off of the attraction and going directly back into the FP line. Thus riding an attraction (depending on the attraction and stand by wait times) multiple times before someone in the stand by line rode once. And basically there was no way to stop this under the old system. Or GAC holders (with the alternative entrance stamp) could go on every attraction that had a FP option with little to no wait. One of multiple reasons the GAC was overhauled into the DAS.

Depending on the stamp your GAC had, one could use it MANY times in a day. There was a stamp that pretty much gave the guest unlimited access to the FP line. Some guests (with the GAC card) would loop an attraction...literally getting off of the attraction and going directly back into the FP line. Thus riding an attraction (depending on the attraction and stand by wait times) multiple times before someone in the stand by line rode once. And basically there was no way to stop this under the old system. Or GAC holders (with the alternative entrance stamp) could go on every attraction that had a FP option with little to no wait. One of multiple reasons the GAC was overhauled into the DAS.

No wonder why they are complaining.

Did you see people doing this (looping) or hear about it just curious. When we had the GAC we never went on anything more than once that wouldn't have occurred to me. Seems like that would be obviously taking advantage except maybe in the case of a child that would have a huge meltdown if the couldnt ride again....but still thats a lot to expect. I do think the old system was kind of a free for all. I don't mind the new system except for the physically having to go get the return times. That presents a hardship in some situations.

Did you see people doing this (looping) or hear about it just curious. When we had the GAC we never went on anything more than once that wouldn't have occurred to me. Seems like that would be obviously taking advantage except maybe in the case of a child that would have a huge meltdown if the couldnt ride again....but still thats a lot to expect. I do think the old system was kind of a free for all. I don't mind the new system except for the physically having to go get the return times. That presents a hardship in some situations.

Plenty of people here have said they've done it, and you can easily google blogs of moms who were outraged when the GAC switched over because they wouldn't be able to loop any longer. I know people have reported seeing the same group of people in the FP during their standby wait and assuming the obvious. I distinctly remember one mom saying her record was 10x on Space Mountain back to back. There was also an article around the same time about Carsland (I think) in DL opening up and over half of the people there and riding were GAC holders which screwed up the line system or something or other.

And honestly, the people that did this didn't see it as abuse. They felt it was warranted because (and this is generalizing with the reasoning I saw passed around most of the time) their children had rough lives and it brought them joy. Or there's only one ride their child wants to ride and they should get as many rides overall as everyone else. They aren't really thinking on a bigger picture/rational level, just about themselves. I don't think that people looping rides like this was the major issue, it was an overall amount of people using the GAC - some like this, some as intended, some who really didn't need it, etc. I'll never forget when I worked the phone lines - one man called wanting a GAC for his pregnant wife. Not for anything in particular, strictly because she was pregnant and she'd have a harder time in the parks than usual. And a mother that called and wanted one for her son who had a broken arm. A. Broken. Arm.... because he'd tire out quicker.

Plenty of people here have said they've done it, and you can easily google blogs of moms who were outraged when the GAC switched over because they wouldn't be able to loop any longer. I know people have reported seeing the same group of people in the FP during their standby wait and assuming the obvious. I distinctly remember one mom saying her record was 10x on Space Mountain back to back. There was also an article around the same time about Carsland (I think) in DL opening up and over half of the people there and riding were GAC holders which screwed up the line system or something or other.

And honestly, the people that did this didn't see it as abuse. They felt it was warranted because (and this is generalizing with the reasoning I saw passed around most of the time) their children had rough lives and it brought them joy. Or there's only one ride their child wants to ride and they should get as many rides overall as everyone else. They aren't really thinking on a bigger picture/rational level, just about themselves. I don't think that people looping rides like this was the major issue, it was an overall amount of people using the GAC - some like this, some as intended, some who really didn't need it, etc. I'll never forget when I worked the phone lines - one man called wanting a GAC for his pregnant wife. Not for anything in particular, strictly because she was pregnant and she'd have a harder time in the parks than usual. And a mother that called and wanted one for her son who had a broken arm. A. Broken. Arm.... because he'd tire out quicker.
well that being said I guess the new system is better managed. I cant really even see a way to abuse the new system can you? Only maybe a person that doesnt really need the DAS saying they need one. But only being able to do one ride at a time with the posted wait times, it would seem that the kind of problems you mentioned could not occur again.

well that being said I guess the new system is better managed. I cant really even see a way to abuse the new system can you? Only maybe a person that doesnt really need the DAS saying they need one. But only being able to do one ride at a time with the posted wait times, it would seem that the kind of problems you mentioned could not occur again.

I have pretty much the same thoughts. I'm sure there's still people that get a DAS to have an extra open ended FP which could be beneficial, particularly in the parks with tiers. I don't think that happens often, really. Now that it's electronic I don't really see a way to have 2 DAS which had become an issue.

It's not perfect, but it definitely balances out the inequities that the GAC offered, and resolves what I think were the most prominent issues. I think it'd be great if/when the DAS times can be set with MDE instead of going to each ride.

Reactions: ez

I'm pretty sure I witnessed it. And I know people personally told me they did it.
There was an article about a woman who tried to sue Disney because she kept "looping" with her GAC to ride ToT saying that IIRC it gave her relief from her adhesions. She tried producing a Dr's note. But ultimately was banned from WDW. Apparently, She rode the ride over 50 times in one day!

If you read my other post, I said ONE of MULTIPLE reasons was the GAC was overhauled...not the main reason. But I am sure how to prevent people from doing this was strongly taken into consideration when they revamped things into the DAS. :)
Screenshot_2016-08-28-12-00-29.png

Please do not turn this into a debate or discussion about the demise of the GAC.

A reminder of the original topic -- use of DAS and/or use of standby lines for short waits.

Wowsers....can we say entitlement.

I'm pretty sure I witnessed it. And I know people personally told me they did it.
There was an article about a woman who tried to sue Disney because she kept "looping" with her GAC to ride ToT saying that IIRC it gave her relief from her adhesions. She tried producing a Dr's note. But ultimately was banned from WDW. Apparently, She rode the ride over 50 times in one day!

If you read my other post, I said ONE of MULTIPLE reasons was the GAC was overhauled...not the main reason. But I am sure how to prevent people from doing this was strongly taken into consideration when they revamped things into the DAS. :)
View attachment 190407

I didn't read your other post. I was responding to someone else - the person I quoted :)

the way I do the DAS stand by is I will go ahead and get a DAS return time for a longer wait in the area I am in so fanticey land I may do PP if I have a FP for 7dmt I will do my FP then maybe a shorter wait ride tea cups the caracel ( SP?) eat take a break shop some times my limit for lines is 15 minutes depending on the line maybe 20 ( I think I use the DAS more then others) then if I am still in the area when my DAS return time is up I will do the DAS ride sometimes I have moved on most of the time due to having a FP. I will just get a new one ( the the current one canceled) this happens at lest 1 or 2 a day. some times depending on the ride I am not sure if I could do stand by buzz is one of them I will get a DAS return time and go in the stand by line this way if I can not do it I can simply go find a quiet place rest regroup and then go on the ride using my DAS card if I can do stand by most of the time I will just cancel my DAS at another ride. I also always try to hit rope drop when crowds are not that bad ( somedays are just miss) I try to get my Frist FP for around 1030 when it is just starting to pick up and have then pretty close together then I try ( MK is the best park for this) but get another FP for another ride as soon as I can. I use the parades for a break I have seen them a number of times so I will often just go lie in the grass where the old FP for fireworks were there are not that many people and you can see about 90% of the parade that goes buy

but for the most part this is how I use my DAS stand by FP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter