Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat off topic, but this is probably potentially good(?) news on the NBA bubble front for next season. Given they won’t be able to have fans in attendance for Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, or Kings games, they’ll be more likely to do another bubble

Although looking at the regs, even if Disney could get into the next tier, being limited to 500 people means they wouldn't open anyway.

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg was limited to 1000 in June (and still is limited to same), and made the decision to not open with those numbers for a "summer" season...it was only when they could do "events" (1st Brewing, 2nd Food and Wine, 3rd Halloween, and then finally Christmas) and when extra Covid unemployment ran out that they made the decision to open...and when they did, they split days into 4 hour sessions, with 2 on Fridays and Sundays, and 3 on Saturdays, to make the 1000 people capacity per session worthwhile (and they planned closures M-W, til the events proved popular enough to add sessions for those days). Now, they also did drop entry prices to about $50, which was about 1/2 off normal entrance...but then again, anyone in the know could usually find day prices at that cost. They also increased parking from $10 (the 1st event's parking price) to $25 as events took off. And they also used the events as a chance to get some AP people's passes restarted and running.

But, if they didn't want to keep a staff and the park from stagnating and rotting, they probably wouldn't have bothered getting creative for 1000 (which they turned into 2000-3000)...no way Disney would find it worth it for 500...

I know this will get quickly buried here but someone asked about ABC commissary. MO works the same as everywhere else and you can take the food outside to eat. This is the fish tacos, really good, extra points to dhs for improving the offerings
Cmon Yuli! Those fish taco's look great but the least you could have done was crop out those disgusting looking black beans......YUUUUUUUck! Only bean I eat is a jelly bean! pirate: Arghhhhhhh!!!!! Bout got rid of my lunch!

Somewhat off topic, but this is probably potentially good(?) news on the NBA bubble front for next season. Given they won’t be able to have fans in attendance for Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, or Kings games, they’ll be more likely to do another bubble
Yeah looking pretty good for bubbles for all major sports for next season. I can’t see owners in any of the 4 major leagues wanting to start a new season when at least 3-4 teams would be at an economic disadvantage by not having paying fans. NFL will continue because they’ve already started, but when it comes time for NBA and NHL I’m going to guess bubbles will be a very popular topic (and they both are starting within a week of eachother tentatively).

Yeah looking pretty good for bubbles for all major sports for next season. I can’t see owners in any of the 4 major leagues wanting to start a new season when at least 3-4 teams would be at an economic disadvantage by not having paying fans. NFL will continue because they’ve already started, but when it comes time for NBA and NHL I’m going to guess bubbles will be a very popular topic (and they both are starting within a week of eachother tentatively).

Baseball is the tough one. I’m not sure there’s anywhere that could house the teams with enough fields to cater to a 162 game season. I think they’re going to continue to play at their own stadiums, some will have fans, others won’t like in the NFL. Unless they use spring training facilities in Florida and Arizona all season and allow intra state travel for the teams

I don't think they will. We are already starting to see fans in limited number come back (watch the world series tonight). I think each team will have standards depending on their location. As an aside, how would you like to be the owners of the Chargers/Rams. What did that new stadium cost that they just built to host absolutely zero fans? Wow. Something like 4 billion, and I would imagine the PSL owners are wanting some $$ back since they can't attend......

There are other creative answers for that - you could have those teams be 82 game road teams who split a portion of ticket revenue for each "home" road game with the home team...or you could find temporary cities to host them (see Buffalo for Toronto)...

There are other creative answers for that - you could have those teams be 82 game road teams who split a portion of ticket revenue for each "home" road game with the home team...or you could find temporary cities to host them (see Buffalo for Toronto)...

Vegas and Seattle. Vegas gets Lakers and Kings, Seattle gets Clippers and Warriors.

I don't think they will. We are already starting to see fans in limited number come back (watch the world series tonight). I think each team will have standards depending on their location. As an aside, how would you like to be the owners of the Chargers/Rams. What did that new stadium cost that they just built to host absolutely zero fans? Wow. Something like 4 billion, and I would imagine the PSL owners are wanting some $$ back since they can't attend......
Yeah but the issue will be for NHL and NBA how would you have a full season, knowing that all of your California teams can’t have fans in their stadiums? It’s not fair, financially, to those teams to be at a disadvantage. There’s already been discussion on the NHL side to have bubbles for the season, with teams staying in a bubble for 2 weeks or so and then traveling to a different bubble.

I was thinking about this also.

World was open when Florida was going through almost 10,000 cases a day and they made it through with no problems. I really dont see any scenario of World shutting down again.

So do they try to double down here in Florida?

Maybe open more things, increase capacity, etc.....

Agreed also they will have to do it as safely as possible but I am wondering now if they know DL will be closed for a long time if they take a little more risk here in Florida.
Increase capacity? That's the last thing they need to do right now if they ever want to persuade Newsome to agree they can open/change his mind. He obviously didn't get a good resport back from his spies this past week or this whole situation would probably be a lot different today.

Yeah but the issue will be for NHL and NBA how would you have a full season, knowing that all of your California teams can’t have fans in their stadiums? It’s not fair, financially, to those teams to be at a disadvantage. There’s already been discussion on the NHL side to have bubbles for the season, with teams staying in a bubble for 2 weeks or so and then traveling to a different bubble.
That just makes every team not have fans. Better some than none.

Newsom has had his mind made up for a long time. Yellow tier opening isn’t something that came about today. October 1st Disney asked them not to release guidelines because this wasn’t acceptable to them, that was before Newsom sent his lackeys to Florida to do their spying. So nothing would have changed whether or not they liked what they saw. They just did their due diligence in making that visit

It's that way in the NFL. About half the teams have fans not, not fair to the teams that don't, but oh well. Hopefully 5-6 months from now when those seasons resume we have a vaccine fairly well distributed and more teams can have fans. The NHL and MLB will have a hard time fielding anything close to a full season without ticket sales. NBA has far better tv deals, but I suspect they'll try to have fans at some level wherever possible. April is a decade from now in terms of Covid, so it's really hard to speculate as to what happens, but I can't imagine leagues turning down ticket revenue next year after the hits they took this season.

They must have some special "more dangerous" strain of the virus in California that they can't allow things to open like they have in other states.

If theme parks were a vector for the virus (not to say that they can't be .. but obviously the restrictions must help it from going crazy) ... wouldn't the Florida numbers have spiked after the parks (including non-Disney) opened in June/July? yet they have done nothing but drop SINCE all the parks were open in July.

It's that way in the NFL. About half the teams have fans not, not fair to the teams that don't, but oh well. Hopefully 5-6 months from now when those seasons resume we have a vaccine fairly well distributed and more teams can have fans. The NHL and MLB will have a hard time fielding anything close to a full season without ticket sales. NBA has far better tv deals, but I suspect they'll try to have fans at some level wherever possible. April is a decade from now in terms of Covid, so it's really hard to speculate as to what happens, but I can't imagine leagues turning down ticket revenue next year after the hits they took this season.

But even with a vaccine, theres no guarantee you get under 2% positivity rate, which is needed to open at 25% with no indoor rides. Its actually very unlikely even with a vaccine. This is a virus that will likely be around for years, if not decades. Probably not as dangerous as time goes on as it currently is, and what it was when it first arrived. But its still a virus, and because of how widespread it became, its highly unlikely to just go away any time soon.

So in order for stadiums, theme parks, concert venues to open up it’ll take

- Lawsuits
- Newsom lightening up on requirements
- New leadership in the state

Dont forget, he also said even if the counties get to yellow, if they jump back up to orange these things get taken away. So its not just targeting for yellow and all systems a-go. You need to get to yellow and stay there

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter