Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so disappointing. Completely expected with how California has been dealing with this up until this point, but I was still hopeful it wouldn’t be tier Yellow. I question whether DL would even be able to open in 2021 with that restriction. The other restrictions, while interesting like the replacement masks and no indoor queues, are really nothing-burgers at this point because with the requirement for Orange County to be in Yellow will keep DL closed for a year or more at this point. I can NOT wait for Disney’s response. I would love to see them move their corporate offices to another state to begin with.
What's interesting is WDW was the experiment that they could see was working firsthand, and they still chose to ignore those findings. Unless they know things we don't.

Dragging through the courts will take time and money, but it's probably the right move.
Won't CA courts likely side with their governor though? Also if they go for damages, isnt the state of CA basically bankrupt already so difficult to see them getting a massive payout.

People only care when it’s their livelihood impacted. You know who cares about the 28,000 people that were laid off? Disney fans. The people that are called obsessive and pathetic because of their love for the theme parks and everything that comes with the company. I havent seen a single person outside of the Disney community on any social media platform come to the aide of these CMs, spreading the word of these causes to help, its all finger pointing at Disney for laying these CMs off, and executives reclaiming their salary’s.

All we’ve heard since March is We’re all “In this together”, except we’re not. Because if we were, people would have jobs to go back to at this point. And that doesn’t just go for Disney. Businesses large and small are closing left and right all across the country because they’re not allowed to open.
As I’ve said before, I’ve yet to find one elected official in this country who has managed to successfully strike the balance between preserving public health and safety and preserving economic opportunity. The pendulum always seems to swing too far in one direction or the other. Which is sad.

I know this will get quickly buried here but someone asked about ABC commissary. MO works the same as everywhere else and you can take the food outside to eat. This is the fish tacos, really good, extra points to dhs for improving the offerings
Food news should never take a back seat!
That's the biggest issue. Even if they reach target for a while, there will be other waves.
WDW seemed very firm in their decision that once the wheels were turning to open, there would be no turning back. DL can't risk opening the second it goes yellow only to have to close again in a month or two. What a mess.

People only care when it’s their livelihood impacted. You know who cares about the 28,000 people that were laid off? Disney fans. The people that are called obsessive and pathetic because of their love for the theme parks and everything that comes with the company. I havent seen a single person outside of the Disney community on any social media platform come to the aide of these CMs, spreading the word of these causes to help, its all finger pointing at Disney for laying these CMs off, and executives reclaiming their salary’s.

All we’ve heard since March is We’re all “In this together”, except we’re not. Because if we were, people would have jobs to go back to at this point. And that doesn’t just go for Disney. Businesses large and small are closing left and right all across the country because they’re not allowed to open.
I don't disagree but not really a conversation we can have here ;)

Yep. Disney PR/Corporate Communications/Public Affairs used to be the envy of so many major corporations (which made them a tad arrogant at times), but lately I’m not sure what’s going on.

I don't know. I feel like it's got to be a really hard time to be in PR.

Like, you want to get your people back to work, but you have to also show you care about people and fighting Covid. And everyone gets offended!

Newsom gets to play the "good guy" - he's saving lives after all, Disney only cares about money... :D

I was thinking about this also.

World was open when Florida was going through almost 10,000 cases a day and they made it through with no problems. I really dont see any scenario of World shutting down again.

So do they try to double down here in Florida?

Maybe open more things, increase capacity, etc.....

Agreed also they will have to do it as safely as possible but I am wondering now if they know DL will be closed for a long time if they take a little more risk here in Florida.
I have been wondering how to word this thought, as well. If WDW moved to increase ride capacity and MAYBE close line spacing to 4’ while increasing capacity to 35-40%, they could offset some of their West Coast losses. Not all at once mind you, but incremental changes here and there. We’ve seen some of this with divider testing at Rise and the implementation at ToT. Maybe get Laugh Floor open again, etc.
They aren’t seeing capacity hit every day, especially during the week, but more offerings would entice more people.
TSA just had their first 1M passenger day in months, so people are moving to more comfort in traveling. Fatigue and boredom are setting in, for better or worse. Disney could benefit from some of that pent up angst and invite more people to their Florida parks.
ETA: I don’t know how comfortable I am with tighter lines, but I don’t see how they could increase capacity without it.

Yep. Disney PR/Corporate Communications/Public Affairs used to be the envy of so many major corporations (which made them a tad arrogant at times), but lately I’m not sure what’s going on.
From the outside it looks like legal (& the executives with Iger washing his hands of it) have said “nothing we can do” so it’s all been put on the shoulders of PR. Even the world’s best PR department can’t single handedly make this happen.

But if Disney legal doesn’t think they have a case- this is it.

Perhaps there is even scope for offering for DL CMs to transfer to wdw once wdw picks up enough to need them.
Interesting , but I’m sure the interstate labor contracts would be too much of a mess.
once they (WDW) reach out to enough laid off folks from FL, they could feasibly offer them the same position as a new hire, though.

I have been wondering how to word this thought, as well. If WDW moved to increase ride capacity and MAYBE close line spacing to 4’ while increasing capacity to 35-40%, they could offset some of their West Coast losses. Not all at once mind you, but incremental changes here and there. We’ve seen some of this with divider testing at Rise and the implementation at ToT. Maybe get Laugh Floor open again, etc.
They aren’t seeing capacity hit every day, especially during the week, but more offerings would entice more people.
TSA just had their first 1M passenger day in months, so people are moving to more comfort in traveling. Fatigue and boredom are setting in, for better or worse. Disney could benefit from some of that pent up angst and invite more people to their Florida parks.
Perhaps there is even scope for offering for DL CMs to transfer to wdw once wdw picks up enough to need them.
Just keep in mind that even within DPEP, all resorts function in their own little silos essentially. Yes, there may have been an order from Corporate for WDW to “be on its best behavior,” but Burbank doesn’t really get involved in these types operational concerns. I think you could see DPEP’s corporate marketing team buy up some spots later this year/early next year in markets further west than is usual for WDW ads but I wouldn’t expect today’s news to have any immediate impact on WDW parks operations. Likewise, the employment systems are too totally different ones with different unions and the like, so there any sort of transfer would just be CM applying for a new job essentially. Cross-coast transfers don’t really happen in normal times, letalone now. Disney still doesn’t want to play with fire; they don’t want any headlines about an outbreak or COVID-19 in the parks.

I don't know. I feel like it's got to be a really hard time to be in PR.

Like, you want to get your people back to work, but you have to also show you care about people and fighting Covid. And everyone gets offended!

Newsom gets to play the "good guy" - he's saving lives after all, Disney only cares about money... :D

yeah, you want to come out in defense of your employees and your position (and your business plan of course) and not sure what other response could be said (maybe been more vague about the "keep shuttered" - like, perhaps other creative solutions could be found) - but clearly this is a pissing match between the sides and no one will win (well, the lawyers when it goes to court)

Interesting , but I’m sure the interstate labor contracts would be too much of a mess.
once they (WDW) reach out to enough laid off folks from FL, they could feasibly offer them the same position as a new hire, though.
Yeah fair enough. I'm just used to employment laws in UK where any business laying big numbers of people off would be expected to try find them jobs elsewhere within the company if possible.

im also not sure many of them would want to up and leave their homes in California to move to Florida to work for the same company that doesn’t exactly pay very well.
Younger ones might. Kinda like a domestic version of the international CMs program. But it sounds like there would be too many issues for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter