Couch to 5k

Honestly, I got my running shoes at Kohls, since I had Kohls cash and a 30% off. That said, I've been evaluated running before, so I knew I needed a shoe for moderate over-pronation. I'd also recommend that you check with someone who has bought shoes from a running eval to make sure that they know what they are talking about. Sadly, some shoe places talk well, but don't do a good eval :(

I was talking shins with a girlfriend that has been running for a year and a half (although she has slacked of the last couple of months and is re-starting) and she said she thinks her shins only bother her when she is heavier. She has recently gained weight and she thinks that is why her shins hurt her, but for me it seems to bother me more as an over-use thing, so I'm loving C25K :)

Did my W2D1 today, but went to my running buddy's to do it and we ran in her (incredibly hilly) neighborhood. Wow, thought I might die on the last run, it was a very steep hill. Then, we finished it up with a very long walk, 4 miles total between the C25K and the walk. Not easy, but good for me in the long run, I suppose. Feel great now, of course :)

PS Indiana seems well represented here, I'm from near Bloomington :)

I am definatley heavier so maybe thats what my issue is. The store is in Greenwood and its called Blue Mile have you heard of it? Or if you know of one around let me know! Bloomington is about 1 1/2 hours from me. Im in North Vernon. Thanks for your feedback!

:eek::eek: Just did W2D2 and about died. I did W2D1 fine and actually said it was getting easier. Today feels like a huge step in the opposite direction!:confused3 Im determined to do this!! My shins hurt today for the first time. I know I need some running shoes but the closest store is 2 hours away so Im waiting until we go that direction in 2 weeks. Just frustrated today!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

There were days in the program that I felt like I was just starting. For me, food, hydration and time of day have alot to do with it. Oh, and of course, this Florida heat. :rotfl: I find that I do better first thing in the morning, but unfortunately, I have to be at work at 7:00 am and I am doing good to get there on time. So, my weekend runs are always better and I end up having more energy throughout the day after a morning run. Some days, I just can't do it in the evenings after working all day. :confused3

Finished week 6 last night. 25 minutes wasn't too bad although I did go at a snail's pace. In the earlier weeks for me to go from 3 min to 5 min was hard. That was when I felt like I had to repeat a day or to before moving on and I did. Once I got over the 5 min hurdle it seemed a bit easier to add more time. That might have been around the same time I changed my stride to save my shins. I really shortened it up. Stick with it, it does get easier. I started doing C25K on May 22nd and I can't believe I did 25 minutes last night and felt pretty good after wards. On day one I could not have imagined doing 25 straight through.

I am definatley heavier so maybe thats what my issue is. The store is in Greenwood and its called Blue Mile have you heard of it? Or if you know of one around let me know! Bloomington is about 1 1/2 hours from me. Im in North Vernon. Thanks for your feedback!

I believe one of the races I was looking at was mentioning Blue Mile as a sponsor, so I would bet that they will do a good job :)

I am in New Albany... just across the river from Louisville.

I :love: Bloomington. Go IU! =)

I also love Bloomington, although we are currently getting some not-so-great press with that poor missing girl :( I was 9 months old when my parents moved here (actually in the next county from Bloomington, but we had a Bloomington address), but I joined the Navy when I was 20. The longer I was away, the more I missed and wanted to raise my kids here so when I got out 3 years ago we came straight here :) My only regret is that we didn't get back sooner!

ETA: Barbara, I'm also setting a goal for the Princess in 2012, maybe we will see each other there!

I am not from Indiana, but I went to Purdue! :)

I do C25K W3D1 tomorrow and I am NERVOUS!

Today I had acupuncture for the first time to help treat my PF. I was fascinated by the theory behind it and really believe that it will help. I go back in two weeks.

I did W7D1. 25 minutes was tough today. I didn't feel like I was huffing and puffing, but my legs just wanted to quit on me, especially from my knees down. My shins didn't hurt so I think I have really gotten over that but my legs just fatigued out. I made it through to the last 8 minutes and then walked about 30 seconds. It was pretty humid so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It wasn't too hot, mid 70s. We had a rain shower and then it cooled down so I got out while it wasn't too bad. Hopefully Thursday will be better. Tomorrow is Zumba day.

I did W7D1. 25 minutes was tough today. I didn't feel like I was huffing and puffing, but my legs just wanted to quit on me, especially from my knees down. My shins didn't hurt so I think I have really gotten over that but my legs just fatigued out. I made it through to the last 8 minutes and then walked about 30 seconds. It was pretty humid so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It wasn't too hot, mid 70s. We had a rain shower and then it cooled down so I got out while it wasn't too bad. Hopefully Thursday will be better. Tomorrow is Zumba day.

Great job!!!

Congrats to everyone! We did W2D2 yesterday. My shins were bothering me one day last week so I've been putting IcyHot gel on them before I head out and they haven't bothered me at all. I love my running shoes and it was totally worth getting fitted for them. I bought them before I started.

I just finished week 3! I feel like I have to run in the morning with the FL heat. I also run with my dog, and there are less people (and other dogs) out and about in the morning. We saw another dog one afternoon during a run and he almost tripped me trying to get to it and messed up my running groove. Crazy dog - doesn't he realize that running is hard enough and I don't need him tugging on the leash!

Bring on week 4!!! :cool1:

I just finished week 3! I feel like I have to run in the morning with the FL heat. I also run with my dog, and there are less people (and other dogs) out and about in the morning. We saw another dog one afternoon during a run and he almost tripped me trying to get to it and messed up my running groove. Crazy dog - doesn't he realize that running is hard enough and I don't need him tugging on the leash!

Bring on week 4!!! :cool1:

CONGRATS!!! I just finished W3D1 and was thrilled that I was able to do both 3 min sections. My next run will be on Saturday and I will be in South Carolina. Lower altitude, but higher humidity...should be interesting!!!

CONGRATS!!! I just finished W3D1 and was thrilled that I was able to do both 3 min sections. My next run will be on Saturday and I will be in South Carolina. Lower altitude, but higher humidity...should be interesting!!!

Thanks! Congrats on your run!

Just get out and run early and you should be good with the humidity - maybe easier because of the altitude difference. My sis did her 1st marathon in Boulder (coming from FL) and she said the altitude was TOUGH!

Thanks! Congrats on your run!

Just get out and run early and you should be good with the humidity - maybe easier because of the altitude difference. My sis did her 1st marathon in Boulder (coming from FL) and she said the altitude was TOUGH!

Boulder is not far from me. I can see how the altitude would be hard if you are not used to it. Even when we go up into the mountains to ski I need a day to adjust to the altitude.

Have fun in South Carolina! I love how you are still planning your runs. We will be at Disney in 9 days and we plan to stick to our Tues, Thur, Sat schedule. LOL I even planned our park days around it. :rotfl2: We finished W2D3 today and we are excited to move onto W3.

I did w7d2 today. I felt so much better than the other day. I changed my route to avoid the hill I was on last time. Not that it's much of an incline but things are really flat around here. I actually stretched the run out to 30 minutes. My legs were a little sore but nothing like they were the other day. I also took a couple of Advil about 3 hours before I went out, so don't know if that helped.

Finished week 7 tonight. I'm gonna take the next 3 days off since we will be busy with 4th of July festivities for the next 2 days. According to map my run I did a 12 minute mile. I definately felt faster tonight. It was a beautiful night, 75 degrees and no humidiy. I managed to push it out to 30 minutes and felt good. My legs are holding up so that's the best part.

Did W3D2 yesterday and felt great. The humidity was not as bad as I thought it would be, of course that might have been due to the fact that I am now at sea level and not 5280 feet!!! Next run is on Tuesday. Have a great 4th everyone. :)

So I guess I have technically stopped with the couch to 5k.

Not willingly but this weather just isn't allowing me to run. It is almost 10pm and it is still in the high 90s. With a history of passing out in this weather, my mother has ordered me to stay indoors unless I'm swimming or heading to work.

I did get to week 8 so I almost finished. As soon as this weather cools down I'll be running again. I don't think I've worn my running shoes enough yet to justify the $150 they cost.

In the meantime while I can't run, does anyone have any good cardio ideas for indoors?

DS just finished W5D1 and DD finished W3D1 yesterday. We did it indoors on the treadmill because it was so hot & humid out.

If I had to do cardio indoors without a treadmill, I think I would look at some aerobic workout DVDs (like the Cardio DVD i n P90X) to get the heart rate up as much as possible.

Just finished C25K - W3D3. Week FOUR here I come!!! :banana: I have to admit that week four looks a little intimidating, but I think I can do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter