Couch to 5k

I need to start focusing on my form more. I feel like right now I just focus on not falling or collapsing. Baby steps. :) I just started W4 today and I was really nervous about the longer runs, but I found that I actually enjoyed them. Who knew!?!? Keep it up and in no time we will be running a 5K. :banana:

I have no idea about form. I do try to keep my feet under me to avoid shin splints because I have gotten them in the past. No fun!

After a week off due to a busy holiday schedule, I started back up with W4D2this morning. Whew- was it tough! A little bit of fatigue from the week, plus a later start this morning, made it kind of tough. But I made it through and felt great again after it was over.

I have no idea about form. I do try to keep my feet under me to avoid shin splints because I have gotten them in the past. No fun!

After a week off due to a busy holiday schedule, I started back up with W4D2this morning. Whew- was it tough! A little bit of fatigue from the week, plus a later start this morning, made it kind of tough. But I made it through and felt great again after it was over.

I know what you mean about shin splints. I was a sprinter in high school and had terrible shin splints. I worry whenever I feel anything in my shins.

I need to start focusing on my form more. I feel like right now I just focus on not falling or collapsing. Baby steps. :) I just started W4 today and I was really nervous about the longer runs, but I found that I actually enjoyed them. Who knew!?!? Keep it up and in no time we will be running a 5K. :banana:

I am focusing on it because I know from previous experience that my poor form led to me being even slower than I probably should be!

I did not begin running until I was in my early 40's. Even when I ran, I hated the first mile or two. But I loved long runs. I actually got faster AFTER 7 miles. My favorite distance was 10 miles. You can do this.

It;s hard to imagine right now, it is even for me because I've been away from it for a couple of years, but you can.

Rest day yesterday, 4 mile walk today. W2 tomorrow.

Run well, my friends.

I just watched a video of runners during a 5k. Elite runners landed mid-foot with their knees pretty much over their feet. Slower runners had the tendency to over extend their legs out in front of them. So your thinking seems right.

We hiked a local mountain today as part of our cross-training. One mile up to the top, one mile back down. We were more exhausted than when we ran the 10K. :rotfl: Our bodies just aren't what they used to be. Trying to hang in there...

I ran with a friend tonigt. It was nice to have some one to pace my self with. I did w8d2. We ended up running for 34 minutes. It felt good. I just need to be careful with my shins. I'm not quite making it 3 miles yet, but I'm happy with being able to go the increased times. It's hard to believe a few weeks ago I thought 5 minutes was tough!

Great job!!! I hope that your friend's child is okay now. :lovestruc

He's doing very well, that just have to monitor the situation to make sure it finishes healing completely (or it could make a return visit).
We finished W4 last week, but it was still very hard for both of us so we decided to repeat it this week. So, Sunday AM we went out early to beat the heat and finished W4D1. She had one trouble spot during the third run when we hit a steep hill, but otherwise we did really well. I felt soooo much better about this run and think we will be ready for Week 5 next week if we can keep it up through this heat. :cool1:

I ran with a friend tonigt. It was nice to have some one to pace my self with. I did w8d2. We ended up running for 34 minutes. It felt good. I just need to be careful with my shins. I'm not quite making it 3 miles yet, but I'm happy with being able to go the increased times. It's hard to believe a few weeks ago I thought 5 minutes was tough!

WTG Colleen!!!

WTG Colleen!!!

Thanks Taryn! I'm so excited! I booked our room at Saratoga Springs for the Princess Half Marathon. Now I have to do it (or atlest go to Disney that weekend). We borrowed points so once we borrow them, we can't put them back into the year we borrowed from. Now I just have to register on Monday and it will truely be official. I can't believe I'm going to run 13.1 miles. I just gotta keep going with C25K and start Bridge to 10K. The weather has been getting pretty humid here, and we have had a lot going on. So I really need to plan my runs, but I'm still managing to get them in one way or another. Wednesday I plan to finish week 8.

Thanks Taryn! I'm so excited! I booked our room at Saratoga Springs for the Princess Half Marathon. Now I have to do it (or atlest go to Disney that weekend). We borrowed points so once we borrow them, we can't put them back into the year we borrowed from. Now I just have to register on Monday and it will truely be official. I can't believe I'm going to run 13.1 miles. I just gotta keep going with C25K and start Bridge to 10K. The weather has been getting pretty humid here, and we have had a lot going on. So I really need to plan my runs, but I'm still managing to get them in one way or another. Wednesday I plan to finish week 8.

That is awesome, Colleen! I hope to be registering for the Princess half, too. Maybe after I finish C25K and start the Bridge. Are you planning on using a particular 1/2 marathon training plan after the Bridge to 10k?

I finished week 4 this evening. I felt like I was moving slowly, but I ended up covering more distance than ever. Week 5 looks intimidating (mainly the last day), but I'll just take it one step at a time.

That is awesome, Colleen! I hope to be registering for the Princess half, too. Maybe after I finish C25K and start the Bridge. Are you planning on using a particular 1/2 marathon training plan after the Bridge to 10k?

I finished week 4 this evening. I felt like I was moving slowly, but I ended up covering more distance than ever. Week 5 looks intimidating (mainly the last day), but I'll just take it one step at a time.

Thanks. I have not yet come up with a plan for what I will do after B10K. I might just try adding a mile or so a week and see how that goes or may try one of the Jeff Galloway programs. I'm trying not to look too far ahead or I freak my self out. :scared1: Just get through one training program at a time.

Thanks. I have not yet come up with a plan for what I will do after B10K. I might just try adding a mile or so a week and see how that goes or may try one of the Jeff Galloway programs. I'm trying not to look too far ahead or I freak my self out. :scared1: Just get through one training program at a time.

I plan to try a Galloway plan after B10K.

I plan to try a Galloway plan after B10K.

The one question I always had about his plans, is do you train with the intention of not running the whole time for the half marathon? At this point I am anticipating running the whole way except to stop for pictures with the princess. But I'm only going about 3 miles right now, so that plan could very easily change.

The one question I always had about his plans, is do you train with the intention of not running the whole time for the half marathon? At this point I am anticipating running the whole way except to stop for pictures with the princess. But I'm only going about 3 miles right now, so that plan could very easily change.

I am not sure. Since I am only on W4 of C25K I have not looked into it that much. As if right now I would like to try to run the whole thing, but that could change once I get further in my training. :)

I haven't looked into Galloway's programs too much, but I do think they focus on taking walk breaks. It seems like the premise is that taking the walk breaks helps you finish stronger with a better overall time.

I haven't looked into Galloway's programs too much, but I do think they focus on taking walk breaks. It seems like the premise is that taking the walk breaks helps you finish stronger with a better overall time.

I am not totally against thc idea of walk breaks. I really need to do more research on 1/2 training programs, but first I need to complete the C25K. :rotfl:

Nice job on your run!

yes, the theory is that you plan to walk/run. Less wear and tear, times are just as good, etc.

I know from one of my halfs- that it doesn't hurt your time. I met 2 women at the start of the race and the were doing a w/r. We chatted about times, etc. They were with me for the entire 13.1. I would get slightly ahead when they walked, but they would move ahead during their run portion.

Personally though, I wanted to run the whole thing.

Well, my friend and I were going to repeat W4 because we felt like we were struggling still, but we got a wild hair and decided to at least try W5.

AND, we finished W5D1 last night and LOVED it! We felt great!!!

My dad (a former marathoner who has been keeping tabs on my new interest in running) kept saying he couldn't understand how we could do all the stopping and starting involved in this training program. He felt like that was harder. Personally I thought he was crazy. I was having a hard enough time finishing the days. But, maybe he was right?? Because we did great on the three 5-minute runs. We even had a faster pace overall than we did during W4.

I really expected to struggle, at least during the final run, but we felt awesome, even in the heat.

Thursday night, we are going to try the 8 minute runs. I'll be interested to see if we like those too?!?! I really hope so! Good Luck with the program everyone, you can do it!!!

indimom - That is awesome! I start W5 on Saturday and mow I am a little less intimidated by it. :) I hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Well, my friend and I were going to repeat W4 because we felt like we were struggling still, but we got a wild hair and decided to at least try W5.

AND, we finished W5D1 last night and LOVED it! We felt great!!!

My dad (a former marathoner who has been keeping tabs on my new interest in running) kept saying he couldn't understand how we could do all the stopping and starting involved in this training program. He felt like that was harder. Personally I thought he was crazy. I was having a hard enough time finishing the days. But, maybe he was right?? Because we did great on the three 5-minute runs. We even had a faster pace overall than we did during W4.

I really expected to struggle, at least during the final run, but we felt awesome, even in the heat.

Thursday night, we are going to try the 8 minute runs. I'll be interested to see if we like those too?!?! I really hope so! Good Luck with the program everyone, you can do it!!!

Congratulations! I just finished W5D1 myself. I felt like I finished strong, so I'm happy about that. I feel like I'm good to go with day 2, but I think I might be psyching myself out with day 3. 20 minutes seems like such a long time! I guess I'll just need to concentrate on my pace and try not to go as fast - which is tough sometimes as my dog is in much better shape than I am and he likes to push my pace :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter