Couch to 5k

WOO HOO!!!! CONGRATS!!! That is so awesome!!! :worship:

Thank you, :goodvibes I had never heard of C25K before reading about it on the DIS.
Thank you OP! :thumbsup2
I can't believe how fast 9 weeks goes by and how much easier exercising is with a goal and a great support system.
:hippie:

(sorry this sounds like an award acceptance speech)

I finished W9D3 today!
I'm slow as molasses, but I did it.
Now I need to work on picking up the pace.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
:hippie:

Way to go! I just finished today too...woo hoo!!! It's such a great feeling isn't it??
:yay:

Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind me crashing your thread. I have been following your successes with the C25K program and would like to *hopefully* offer a bit of encouragement for those of you that want to do a Disney half-marathon.

First off, I am NOT a runner. I started the C25K program in February. Week 1 Day 1 was a struggle. Giving up was NOT an option, however, because I had already organized a girls trip to run the Wine and Dine Half-Marathon this October..... Gives new meaning to "Go big or go home." However, I have NO DOUBT that I would have given up if I did not have such a big pay-off waiting for me.

Well, I was running on a very tight indoor track at the YMCA and injured my knee a few weeks into the program and had to take 3 weeks off... basically had to start all over again. I also had to repeat a few weeks. (Did I mention that I also could stand lose about 50 pounds:rolleyes1)

A few weeks ago I transitioned over to Jeff Galloway's official beginner half-marathon training program for the Disney Wine and Dine half-marathon. Friday I ran/walked 5 miles. I NEVER thought I would have been able to do that just 2 months ago.

For the person that asked if you can run/walk and keep the required 16 minute per mile pace..... YES! I do a combination of run/walk AND we have a lot of hills where I live, and I keep just under a 14 minute per mile pace on my long runs. Not setting the world on fire, but my goal for October is to finish and not feel like I am dying. :thumbsup2 Also, with 3 more months to train I hope to be able to take another MPM off that time.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. If I can do this, anybody can!!!! :laughing:

Good luck!

Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind me crashing your thread. I have been following your successes with the C25K program and would like to *hopefully* offer a bit of encouragement for those of you that want to do a Disney half-marathon.

First off, I am NOT a runner. I started the C25K program in February. Week 1 Day 1 was a struggle. Giving up was NOT an option, however, because I had already organized a girls trip to run the Wine and Dine Half-Marathon this October..... Gives new meaning to "Go big or go home." However, I have NO DOUBT that I would have given up if I did not have such a big pay-off waiting for me.

Well, I was running on a very tight indoor track at the YMCA and injured my knee a few weeks into the program and had to take 3 weeks off... basically had to start all over again. I also had to repeat a few weeks. (Did I mention that I also could stand lose about 50 pounds:rolleyes1)

A few weeks ago I transitioned over to Jeff Galloway's official beginner half-marathon training program for the Disney Wine and Dine half-marathon. Friday I ran/walked 5 miles. I NEVER thought I would have been able to do that just 2 months ago.

For the person that asked if you can run/walk and keep the required 16 minute per mile pace..... YES! I do a combination of run/walk AND we have a lot of hills where I live, and I keep just under a 14 minute per mile pace on my long runs. Not setting the world on fire, but my goal for October is to finish and not feel like I am dying. :thumbsup2 Also, with 3 more months to train I hope to be able to take another MPM off that time.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. If I can do this, anybody can!!!! :laughing:

Good luck!

That would be me that was asking about the run/walk approach. :flower3:

Thank you for taking the time to jump into the thread and lend some support.

We live in the south...lots of heat/humidity AND some nice, steep hills where we live. These hills are killing us! Even my driveway is on a hill. When we were on vacation we ran on a covered, flat, track and it was so much better. That is the hope I'm clinging to...Disney is a flat run so all this hill training will have paid off. I'm just hoping that we can keep to the 16 min pace. I know we're light years ahead of where we were when we started the program. At some point we have to switch over from C25K to the Jeff Galloway program in order to be ready for January. We haven't officially registered for the 1/2 since I'm still scared that it will be a bust. Then again, maybe plunking down the dollars will give me the motivation to get it together. I did however already make the hotel reservations. ;)

#1hoosierfan ~ Thanks! It is posts like yours and others here that give me the inspiration I need. My wish/goal is to finish the WDW 1/2 marathon in 2013. I've decided to wait till then so that my son who is my running partner will be 14 and old enough to participate.

Michelle - Thanks so much for sharing your story! I am doing the Halloween 5K and then thinking of doing the Princess 1/2 in 2012. I am doing C25K W3D3 tomorrow. I went ahead and looked at all the upcoming workouts and I am TERRIFIED :scared1: of W5 and beyond!!!

Michelle - Thanks so much for sharing your story! I am doing the Halloween 5K and then thinking of doing the Princess 1/2 in 2012. I am doing C25K W3D3 tomorrow. I went ahead and looked at all the upcoming workouts and I am TERRIFIED :scared1: of W5 and beyond!!!

Moving up to 5 minutes running for huge for me. I remember being sooo proud of myself when I did it the first time. Honestly after that, it got much easier.

You CAN do it! :thumbsup2

Moving up to 5 minutes running for huge for me. I remember being sooo proud of myself when I did it the first time. Honestly after that, it got much easier.

You CAN do it! :thumbsup2

I'm going to repeat running 4 minutes for another week, I think. I will be more ready to run 5 minutes after a bit more 4 minute running. I hope. :rotfl2:

I'm going to repeat running 4 minutes for another week, I think. I will be more ready to run 5 minutes after a bit more 4 minute running. I hope. :rotfl2:

LOL! I am at 1 1/2 minutes and dying out there! 4 minutes sounds pretty impressive!

Well, I accidentally did week 9 today. I was running without my podcast and just my stopwatch on my ipod and accidentally paused it at 5 minutes. I was about 8 minutes in when I noticed. I ran until my timer said 28 minutes however, it was a little a bit longer than that. I am exhausted. I have never sweat that much in my life. But I feel great now.

Its funny how I always feel terrible during the run, but when its over I'm so happy and proud that I feel on top of the world. Anyone else get that way?

I just got back from doing C25K - W2D3. I learned that I do much better when I listen to music when I run instead of a podcast. I also made the mistake of looking at W3D1 and I am TERRIFIED!!! 3 minutes of continuous running seems CRAZY to me at this point. I was dying a 1 1/2 minutes. Wednesday should be...interesting...

I just got back from doing C25K - W2D3. I learned that I do much better when I listen to music when I run instead of a podcast. I also made the mistake of looking at W3D1 and I am TERRIFIED!!! 3 minutes of continuous running seems CRAZY to me at this point. I was dying a 1 1/2 minutes. Wednesday should be...interesting...

I will be doing W2D1 later today, and for W1D3 I had music and it went very well (I was worried, since I'd done D1 and D2 with a running buddy, but she wasn't feeling well). I will probably stick with a no music if running buddy/music without running buddy scheme :) I looked ahead as well :eek: Week 5/6/7 *really* look scary! But, I am determined to do them all.

:eek::eek: Just did W2D2 and about died. I did W2D1 fine and actually said it was getting easier. Today feels like a huge step in the opposite direction!:confused3 Im determined to do this!! My shins hurt today for the first time. I know I need some running shoes but the closest store is 2 hours away so Im waiting until we go that direction in 2 weeks. Just frustrated today!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:eek::eek: Just did W2D2 and about died. I did W2D1 fine and actually said it was getting easier. Today feels like a huge step in the opposite direction!:confused3 Im determined to do this!! My shins hurt today for the first time. I know I need some running shoes but the closest store is 2 hours away so Im waiting until we go that direction in 2 weeks. Just frustrated today!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

New shoes should make a huge difference with regards to your shins. Are you planning to go to a running store where they watch you run and recommend shoes? That would definitely be best.

Every few weeks I have a run when I feel TERRIBLE. It is hard, but usually the next run is better. I repeated some early weeks in C25K because I just didn't feel ready.... physically or mentally to go to the next week yet.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

Honestly, I got my running shoes at Kohls, since I had Kohls cash and a 30% off. That said, I've been evaluated running before, so I knew I needed a shoe for moderate over-pronation. I'd also recommend that you check with someone who has bought shoes from a running eval to make sure that they know what they are talking about. Sadly, some shoe places talk well, but don't do a good eval :(

I was talking shins with a girlfriend that has been running for a year and a half (although she has slacked of the last couple of months and is re-starting) and she said she thinks her shins only bother her when she is heavier. She has recently gained weight and she thinks that is why her shins hurt her, but for me it seems to bother me more as an over-use thing, so I'm loving C25K :)

Did my W2D1 today, but went to my running buddy's to do it and we ran in her (incredibly hilly) neighborhood. Wow, thought I might die on the last run, it was a very steep hill. Then, we finished it up with a very long walk, 4 miles total between the C25K and the walk. Not easy, but good for me in the long run, I suppose. Feel great now, of course :)

PS Indiana seems well represented here, I'm from near Bloomington :)

New shoes should make a huge difference with regards to your shins. Are you planning to go to a running store where they watch you run and recommend shoes? That would definitely be best.

Every few weeks I have a run when I feel TERRIBLE. It is hard, but usually the next run is better. I repeated some early weeks in C25K because I just didn't feel ready.... physically or mentally to go to the next week yet.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

Yes I am going to a store that watches you run on a treadmill and recomends shoes based on that.

I am definately going to repeat some of week 2. I dont feel ready to move on yet. Thanks for your feedback!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter