Couch to 5k

Hi everyone! I completed week 2 yesterday and start W3D1 tomorrow! :woohoo:

I always said I wouldn't run, but I needed something to get back in shape. My goal is to lose 10lbs - I'm currently at a weight that I've never seen other than pregnant. Oddly enough, I've gained a couple of pounds since I've started working out and trying to watch what I eat. I know it's not muscle, so I'm hoping it's just water weight. I'm trying not to watch the scale since my BMI is good, and just focus on how I feel and how my clothes are fitting. But that's easier said than done, unfortunately.

Congrats and welcome! I have also gained a couple of pounds since I started so I have decided to wait two weeks before I weigh myself again. :)

Congrats and welcome! I have also gained a couple of pounds since I started so I have decided to wait two weeks before I weigh myself again. :)

I noticed the scale moving in the wrong direction too and was bummed. Hopefully it will start heading the other direction! I'll have to do W2D1 tonight since this morning was hectic. Congrats on getting it done this morning!!:thumbsup2

I know this is unadvised but I skipped day 2 and 3 of week 7 and went straight into week 8. It was hard, but not any harder than week 7. I think I made the right decision by continuing on for 28 minutes. We thankfully had a cool down here down to 90, so i decided I could get my run in without dieing. Its amazing how much improvement my body has made. I could barely run a minute without huffing when I started, I started breathing heavy walking up and down the stairs and now I can run for 28 minutes without stopping! And the stairs are no problem. Now I just need to start getting my diet healthier but the nutrition class I'm in should help with that.

I know this is unadvised but I skipped day 2 and 3 of week 7 and went straight into week 8. It was hard, but not any harder than week 7. I think I made the right decision by continuing on for 28 minutes. We thankfully had a cool down here down to 90, so i decided I could get my run in without dieing. Its amazing how much improvement my body has made. I could barely run a minute without huffing when I started, I started breathing heavy walking up and down the stairs and now I can run for 28 minutes without stopping! And the stairs are no problem. Now I just need to start getting my diet healthier but the nutrition class I'm in should help with that.

CONGRATS!!! The thought of running for 28 minutes straight scares the crap out of me still, but I am hoping that I can do it in six weeks!

Wow - that is awesome! Congrats!

What area do you live in? I'm in FL and it's been miserable and smoky! I'm not a morning person, but I've been doing my runs in the morning because it's so hot and smoky by the afternoon.

CONGRATS!!! The thought of running for 28 minutes straight scares the crap out of me still, but I am hoping that I can do it in six weeks!

Thanks! If you stick to the plan you will be able to do it with no problem!

We went out tonight but since my DS had trouble breathing the other day (due to the weather) we decided to do W1D3 again. I'm thinking that we are ready to move on but didn't want to push it. We will do W2D1 when we go out this weekend. I forgot to mention that we always walk an extra mile after we finish as a cool down.

I did W3D1 today with no issues! It wasn't easy and I wasn't going very fast at all, but I didn't have to stop. I really love this program and am actually looking forward to my run days.

I did W3D1 today with no issues! It wasn't easy and I wasn't going very fast at all, but I didn't have to stop. I really love this program and am actually looking forward to my run days.

CONGRATS! I know what you mean about actually looking forward to your run days. Of course I am not sure if it is the program or the fact that I am training to run at Disney. What could be more motivating than that ?!?!?! :yay:

Of course I am not sure if it is the program or the fact that I am training to run at Disney. What could be more motivating than that ?!?!?! :yay:

I totally know what you mean! I say I just want to be able to do a 5k, but I really have a goal of the 2012 Princess half. I'm just sort of scared to really commit to it out of fear that my body can't take it (my knees give me occasional problems) or I'll quit for some unknown reason. I think most of it is just fear of failing. So a 9 week program right now is doable (baby steps!) and I'm hoping just to build from there. Each week I've completed of C25K has given me a little more confidence that I can really do it.

I totally know what you mean! I say I just want to be able to do a 5k, but I really have a goal of the 2012 Princess half. I'm just sort of scared to really commit to it out of fear that my body can't take it (my knees give me occasional problems) or I'll quit for some unknown reason. I think most of it is just fear of failing. So a 9 week program right now is doable (baby steps!) and I'm hoping just to build from there. Each week I've completed of C25K has given me a little more confidence that I can really do it.

I have been toying with the same idea, but I am not sure that 1.) I have a 1/2 in me and 2.) I can swing another trip to Florida so soon after this one. Why can't Colorado be next to Florida???

We have the same fears. We're going through the Couch to 5K in baby steps. We're technically on week 3 after repeating each of the other two weeks. We have the goal of the Disney 1/2 in January and I'm having major doubts. I wish they had a Couch to 5K program for the 50+ year old set. I believe there is a huge difference in what I can accomplish now vs when I was 25. My spirit is there but the body isn't what it used to be. I hope I can do this. Some days I'm very discouraged...worried about keeping to the 16min pace. What's the worst it can get? At the very worst...is it possible to do a run a minute/walk a minute and still keep within a 16 min pace? I so want to do the 1/2!

Wow - that is awesome! Congrats!

What area do you live in? I'm in FL and it's been miserable and smoky! I'm not a morning person, but I've been doing my runs in the morning because it's so hot and smoky by the afternoon.

I live in California. We are just having weird weird weather!
I expected the heat around this time, but we had rain for a couple weeks straight so I am a bit behind on my runs. I should have been done by now!

We have the same fears. We're going through the Couch to 5K in baby steps. We're technically on week 3 after repeating each of the other two weeks. We have the goal of the Disney 1/2 in January and I'm having major doubts. I wish they had a Couch to 5K program for the 50+ year old set. I believe there is a huge difference in what I can accomplish now vs when I was 25. My spirit is there but the body isn't what it used to be. I hope I can do this. Some days I'm very discouraged...worried about keeping to the 16min pace. What's the worst it can get? At the very worst...is it possible to do a run a minute/walk a minute and still keep within a 16 min pace? I so want to do the 1/2!

I have heard that the sweepers work on a time basis, so it is a 16 min *overall pace* and that they don't start timing even on that until the last runner crosses the start line. If you manage to start at the front of the corral, you have almost 10 minutes before the sweepers even start their timing. I have additionally heard that the sweepers are *very* encouraging and will do everything they can to help you stay ahead of the sweep. And, the person who told me this said that they walked much of each race (and they've done 3-4 halfs and the full, all with Disney). HTH :)

I guess there's always fear of failure when you are doing anything big. It's just important that we don't let that fear take over and do our best to battle through.

I would think that if you kept your training up that you could split run/walk through the half for sure. But, I'm a running newbie so that's totally my opinion. But, just like Dis_Meri, I've heard the sweepers are very encouraging.

Just finished W2D1! I'm glad that we decided to repeat W1D3 before we moved on. The weather is overcast and cool so it was perfect for getting out there this morning.

I finished W9D3 today!
I'm slow as molasses, but I did it.
Now I need to work on picking up the pace.
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter